KK resigns - see OP for new club statement issued September 6th

Guest Darth Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So afar, if Keegan has to take some of the blame then how come it is only Ashley/Wise that have to take the brunt of the fans ill-informed rage?

If you're saying it's because of poor PR then I can't go along with that at all, they put out statements when they had something to say. No other club would have acted any differently in their dealings with the fans (read 'media').

It seems to me like he is getting a very easy ride on all counts, even if a small minority of people have enough sense to see what Baggio is saying.

The board at the end of the day are accountable and have to accept the brunt of the blame even for the Manager's actions, they appointed him after all. From the statements that have been made by both camps, it's clear that the DOF thing and purchasing of players, which sounds to have been the root of the problems, the goalposts have changed. We were told KK had the final say, however right or wrong he is with his decisions, he should have been allowed to stand by them. Instead he was undermined, overruled and players were brought in without his approval. Then we are told that KK didn't have final say after all !!!  You can not move goalposts like this or expecting managers to cover up for your lies indefinitely.

A lot of fans will give KK an easy ride, because he's KK, I do not deny that, but that doesn't make them wrong here. He's shown once again to be a man of principle who is quite prepared to walk away from something if he does not believe in it. He is somewhat of a hot head and seems to do a lot of things in the heat of the moment, but the fact that it took so long for this to be confirmed suggests that he was persuadable here, things could have been done to prevent him leaving, they weren't and the rest is history. For me the board take blame for this because KK as manager of NUFC was the best for the club IMO, not a DOF structure. Give KK the best environment to thieve in not expect him to compromise his own beliefs to fit within a structure that does not in his opinion play to his strengths.

There was a small minority saying things werent right at the start of the transfer window,  I think you were one of the people pretty vocal about telling us that we were wrong. Well it looks like we were proved to be right. Now you want to join this minority saying its not the board fault, well Im sorry but I sincerely doubt too many will ever share that opinion.

afar, i was with you all summer on the spending thing but you're losing me here like

they're both to blame, that's all there is too it

So afar, if Keegan has to take some of the blame then how come it is only Ashley/Wise that have to take the brunt of the fans ill-informed rage?

If you're saying it's because of poor PR then I can't go along with that at all, they put out statements when they had something to say. No other club would have acted any differently in their dealings with the fans (read 'media').

It seems to me like he is getting a very easy ride on all counts, even if a small minority of people have enough sense to see what Baggio is saying.

The board at the end of the day are accountable and have to accept the brunt of the blame even for the Manager's actions, they appointed him after all. From the statements that have been made by both camps, it's clear that the DOF thing and purchasing of players, which sounds to have been the root of the problems, the goalposts have changed. We were told KK had the final say, however right or wrong he is with his decisions, he should have been allowed to stand by them. Instead he was undermined, overruled and players were brought in without his approval. Then we are told that KK didn't have final say after all !!!  You can not move goalposts like this or expecting managers to cover up for your lies indefinitely.

A lot of fans will give KK an easy ride, because he's KK, I do not deny that, but that doesn't make them wrong here. He's shown once again to be a man of principle who is quite prepared to walk away from something if he does not believe in it. He is somewhat of a hot head and seems to do a lot of things in the heat of the moment, but the fact that it took so long for this to be confirmed suggests that he was persuadable here, things could have been done to prevent him leaving, they weren't and the rest is history. For me the board take blame for this because KK as manager of NUFC was the best for the club IMO, not a DOF structure. Give KK the best environment to thieve in not expect him to compromise his own beliefs to fit within a structure that does not in his opinion play to his strengths.

There was a small minority saying things weren’t right at the start of the transfer window,  I think you were one of the people pretty vocal about telling us that we were wrong. Well it looks like we were proved to be right. Now you want to join this minority saying it’s not the board fault, well I’m sorry but I sincerely doubt too many will ever share that opinion.

afar, i was with you all summer on the spending thing but you're losing me here like

Oh I'm not saying KK is blameless, but at the end of the day, it's the board who appointed him, it's the board who take the brunt of the blame IMO. They appointed the wrong man to fit within their structure, that was their first mistake, they made plenty more on the way to his departure.

EDIT:

Just there are some people on here that want to put this all down to KK being a huffy bastard, which he is for sure, but it's not as simple as that.

As someone who has always backed him, I personally feel let down by Keegan for walking away this time. If all these players being brought in turn out to be shite then he will have been vindicated, if they look like being good signings, it means he's turned his back on what could have been a good season of progress at the club he's supposed to love. Priniciples are fine but if he wants to be right even when he's wrong ( i.e, wanting to keep Smith and Milner) then he was asking too much.

There was a small minority saying things werent right at the start of the transfer window,  I think you were one of the people pretty vocal about telling us that we were wrong. Well it looks like we were proved to be right. Now you want to join this minority saying its not the board fault, well Im sorry but I sincerely doubt too many will ever share that opinion.

Oh I'm not saying KK is blameless, but at the end of the day, it's the board who appointed him, it's the board who take the brunt of the blame IMO. They appointed the wrong man to fit within their structure, that was their first mistake, they made plenty more on the way to his departure.

EDIT:

Just there are some people on here that want to put this all down to KK being a huffy bastard, which he is for sure, but it's not as simple as that.

no that's fair enough - people were quick enough to slate FS for appointing souness and rightly so in hindsight but i don't remember too many people complaining when ashley did give him the job, do you?

hindsight is maybe the best word to use here, in hindsight it was always gonna fail but we omitted it from our minds due to the upturn in fortunes on the field and for the simple love everyone has for the guy and him for the club

i'm like you but tired of the "lets drive ashley out of town on a burning cart while poking him with sticks" bridage that were fucking slating me and you all summer for saying the slightest thing wrong about the guy

well it's come home to roost for them hasn't it afar?

anyways i'd like to see ashley bought out now but if he isn't we need to move on, the club are progressing, slowly, we need to remember that

EDIT:

Just there are some people on here that want to put this all down to KK being a huffy b******, which he is for sure, but it's not as simple as that.

no that's fair enough - people were quick enough to slate FS for appointing souness and rightly so in hindsight but i don't remember too many people complaining when ashley did give him the job, do you?

hindsight is maybe the best word to use here, in hindsight it was always gonna fail but we omitted it from our minds due to the upturn in fortunes on the field and for the simple love everyone has for the guy and him for the club

i'm like you but tired of the "lets drive ashley out of town on a burning cart while poking him with sticks" bridage that were f***ing slating me and you all summer for saying the slightest thing wrong about the guy

anyways i'd like to see ashley bought out now but if he isn't we need to move on, the club are progressing, slowly, we need to remember that

I don't think the make up of the structure was clear to us when KK was appointed. Even the doopiest of us on here if armed with full knowledge of the structure would have questioned the appointment of KK to fit within it.

Through the summer, I just wanted to be shown some sign of ambition, some sign that we were focussed on more than just the bottom line. I'm still prepared to be turned on that, Ashley has a huge task on his hands atm, if he gets it right I'll be more than happy to support him. But at this moment in time I have very little faith in them to make any sensible decisions.

EDIT:

Just there are some people on here that want to put this all down to KK being a huffy b******, which he is for sure, but it's not as simple as that.

i'm like you but tired of the "lets drive ashley out of town on a burning cart while poking him with sticks" bridage that were f***ing slating me and you all summer for saying the slightest thing wrong about the guy

I don't think the make up of the structure was clear to us when KK was appointed. Even the doopiest of us on here if armed with full knowledge of the structure would have questioned the appointment of KK to fit within it.

Through the summer, I just wanted to be shown some sign of ambition, some sign that we were focussed on more than just the bottom line. I'm still prepared to be turned on that, Ashley has a huge task on his hands atm, if he gets it right I'll be more than happy to support him. But at this moment in time I have very little faith in them to make any sensible decisions.

see the cynic in me can see what people are getting at because lets say he appoints a new guy, a decent name, and promises the squad will be strengthened (again) - well we all know (or were told during the summer, remember?) that transfer windows are very difficult and january is the hardest so we'll have to wait til NEXT summer to see the spend happen

then we reach this point next season and the moneys not been spent again?  could someone be THAT cold blooded and cynical with a football club?  bearing in mind there's no guarantee we'll even stay up if the new manager isn't shit hot and injuries take their toll

we'll see but for now i'm willing to continue with the benefit of the doubt many people gave to FS for his many total cunt-ups in recent years and "believe" that this current situation has come about due to a series of strange and unfortunate events

hope i'm right

All this blaming Keegan's huffiness is interesting.

I reckon that most of the top managers (Redknapp included), would have walked away from this one.

Redknapp knew what the structure was going to be, hence he refused the job.

Anyone else watching Braveheart (C4) and thinking it somewhat reflects the current state of affairs at NUFC?

William Wallace = Kevin Keegan - passionate, a true leader, motivational, real enthusiasm, wants whats best for his people.

Scottish nobles = Newcastle Directors. Heartless, backstabbing, ruthless but successful folk only interested in lining their own pockets.

Robert the Bruce = Mike Ashley? Needs to wake up and stop listening to shit advice from his cronies, and will unfortunately only do so once Wallace/King Kev has gone?

Counting down the days till a mounted Keegan storms a London penthouse and kills Wise in his bed with a flail.

I haven't seen it, does William Wallace throw his toys out of the pram and storm off leaving his people behind in the end?

have you answered what I asked you the last time you spouted this bollocks ?

Do you think Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger for instance would stand for other people choosing the buys and sales ?

fact is, your precious DOF bollocks is at the root of all this. The club just want a yes man. I told you ages ago that no manager worth their salt would work under such conditions.

As for hoying toys out of the pram.........  irony personfied ......... mackems.gif

As I said to you then, if Keegan didn't like it then why except the job? I doubt Ferguson or Wenger would work like it which would be why they wouldn't accept the job.

Btw you didn't answer my question the other day - Are you glad Wise went out and bought a striker or would you prefer to stick with the strikers we've got?

Not sure why I'm even replying, one quick look at the time will tell us you're pissed looking for a cyber fight.

haha, no I'm not pissed, and when I go to the pub I don't take my internet phone with me .......

Anyway, I'm not glad Wise bought a striker, what a stupid question, he shouldn't have bought anybody. He should be accountable to the manager, and also the managers choice for the role. Not that the manager would have chosen him to be his glorifed scout, recent events sort of show this to be true.

You should keep up with the threads before jumping in. Even the biggest idiot by now has grasped the fact that Keegan has been misled and/or the goalposts moved, by this "professional board".  Or possibly they haven't grasped it yet, it seems a few haven't.

But didn't you say the club have to get a striker in and if they don't then they've failed? Even though i pointed out to you that he might not want one?

If they hadn't got one in meaning Keegan had stayed you would have been moaning over that.

a striker the manager wanted, Baggio.

A striker the manager wanted. You do realise he's gone in protest about something I take it ?

Do you really think he didn;t want a striker ?

We all know Keegan, he has been toeing the party line, and saying the diplomatic thing. Thats all he's been doing.

That must have been Smith then, seeing as he refused to sell him.

I'm sure Smith will prove us all wrong when he gets a run up top, isn't that right NE5?

to the 2 of you. It means one of two things. As you are both defending Ashley for all you're worth, think about your reply.

I'll be waiting.

So what striker did he want then? Henry?! mackems.gif

not really the mature reply I was expecting.

Meanwhile, your comments about throwing toys out of the pram have  a degree of irony about them, you should look in the mirror

Well I don't really post much at weekends, so forgive me for coming to the party late.

Baggio, I honestly don't understand why you are still defending the board here.  What hold do they have on you that triggers this un questionable defence for them ? Or is it just a deep down disliking for KK that's bringing you to this ?

possibly, but its also probably that he was adamant that this DOF system was the key to utopia, and you just couldn't go wrong if you employed it. Nevermind the personnell............

Well I don't really post much at weekends, so forgive me for coming to the party late.

Baggio, I honestly don't understand why you are still defending the board here.  What hold do they have on you that triggers this un questionable defence for them ? Or is it just a deep down disliking for KK that's bringing you to this ?

Even Mick has seen the light, FFS if NE5 and Mick agree on something surely that says everything about a situation ?

I'm not blind enough to think KK didn't have a part to play in all this, I'm sure he was a little naive is accepting the job initially but he did it becasue he loves the club and felt he could bring back the good times. The clearly contradicting statement we have seen issued from the board over the weekend, shows either that the goalposts have been moved or that the previous statements about KK having final say on transfer activity and not reporting to Wise were complete lies.

The worst part of this whole episode for me is that the board has made this job, which was already somewhat of a hard sell, a most unatractive position for managers with any nounce and quality about them. Our only hope for the future (assuming there's no buyout) is that we find someone who's talent is in coaching and has been ignorant of the events that have took place at the club over the last week. Good luck finding him :(

Because this whole situation has been blown completely out of proportion due to KK being a petulant twat, he basically refused to meet with the club to find a solution and preferred to get with his lawyers to screw as much money out of the club as possible.

I'm not jumping to the defence of the board as they have clearly played a role in all of this but if keegan thought Smith was good enough and that we didn't need a new striker then he's an idiot, I'm just looking forward to them getting someone else in so we can put this whole thing behind us.

if you stop throwing your toys out of the pram like a petulant bairn, I'll give you my take on this striker business, as I've just offered earlier. Whether or not you accept it is of course up to you.

In the meantime, accept that Ashley will have to pull one hell of a rabbit out his hat here, or he's finished at Newcastle and the sooner he sells up the better.

See  my post elsewhere on 2 other message boards if you want to know what happened the last time the players of Newcastle United were completely alienated and disgusted at losing a manager they mostly believed in, for having a board of amateurs that didn't back him and support him.

See  my post elsewhere on 2 other message boards if you want to know what happened the last time the players of Newcastle United were completely alienated and disgusted at losing a manager they mostly believed in, for having a board of amateurs that didn't back him and support him.

I'm not that young that I can't remember Sir Bobby leaving mate.

Even Mick has seen the light, FFS if NE5 and Mick agree on something surely that says everything about a situation ?

I'm not blind enough to think KK didn't have a part to play in all this, I'm sure he was a little naive is accepting the job initially but he did it becasue he loves the club and felt he could bring back the good times. The clearly contradicting statement we have seen issued from the board over the weekend, shows either that the goalposts have been moved or that the previous statements about KK having final say on transfer activity and not reporting to Wise were complete lies.

The worst part of this whole episode for me is that the board has made this job, which was already somewhat of a hard sell, a most unatractive position for managers with any nounce and quality about them. Our only hope for the future (assuming there's no buyout) is that we find someone who's talent is in coaching and has been ignorant of the events that have took place at the club over the last week. Good luck finding him :(

Because this whole situation has been blown completely out of proportion due to KK being a petulant t***, he basically refused to meet with the club to find a solution and preferred to get with his lawyers to screw as much money out of the club as possible.

I'm not jumping to the defence of the board as they have clearly played a role in all of this but if keegan thought Smith was good enough and that we didn't need a new striker then he's an idiot, I'm just looking forward to them getting someone else in so we can put this whole thing behind us.

Baggio if you think you are the voice of reason amongst the tidal of illinformed, KK god like can't do no wrong crap. Then you are sadly mistaken.

Most if not all here accept that KK had a part to play iin this, I'm pretty sure he's not entirely blameless and he probably is trying to look out for himself in getting a package for leaving, like about 99% of us would in his position.

As naive KK may have been for taking on the role in the first place, so too was Ashley in appointing him, he's virtually un sackable, an old fashioned type manager that would find working under a DOF system very difficult if not impossible. Ashley described his appointment as a "no brainer" need I remind you, if that was the case then he surely must have had an idea what best environment KK would need to perform well, SJH (the life president) should have been able to point him in the right direction, if he'd bothered to seek his counsel.

They have handled things since it blew up like a bunch of amateurs, their PR is shambolic, they just have no idea how to communicate with the fans. But worst of all they've have made the job, which should be a hugely attractive one, almost untouchable by quality managers.

I think a lot of this Ashley shunning the press stuff has a quite straightforward explanation. Its nothing to do with him being secretive, and wanting to play his cards close to his chest.

I think its because he basically doesn't give a toss for PR, is a bit of an amateur in respect that he has no idea how important it is, and possibly may not be too clever in front of people so just avoids it.  And so running a big football club like Newcastle United, where it is an integral part of the club and as such supporters need information and need to know 24 hours a day what is going on at the club, he's goofed and been found wanting, big style

Whatever people think of the old lot and how much they said they wanted the club to keep a low profile, the fact is that NUFC need publicity, and Mike Ashleys stance has bit him on the arse, in the same way as anti-press managers like Dalglish, and negative football people like Allardyce [and Dalglish] had their teams playing too, they only get away with it when the team is winning, but as soon as something goes wrong, or they stop winning, they are screwed.

I'm not that young that I can't remember Sir Bobby leaving mate.

another immature reply. And I have to say, a relatively uninformed one too.

Oh well, I tried.

Because this whole situation has been blown completely out of proportion due to KK being a petulant twat, he basically refused to meet with the club to find a solution and preferred to get with his lawyers to screw as much money out of the club as possible.

if you stop throwing your toys out of the pram like a petulant bairn, I'll give you my take on this striker business, as I've just offered earlier. Whether or not you accept it is of course up to you.

In the meantime, accept that Ashley will have to pull one hell of a rabbit out his hat here, or he's finished at Newcastle and the sooner he sells up the better.

I'm sure he'd be happy to sell but for that you need a buyer first.

Because the PR and statements they put out have been very poor.

The first statement they put out was several hours after the inital rumours broke, and didn't answer what everyone wanted to know - whether Keegan had gone.

They then waited another two days to respond further, answering what everyone wanted to know in the first place - that Keegan wasn't sacked, and hadn't resigned, so effectively was still at the club.

Then, after KK's resignation and statement of reason (manger should be allowed ot manage, etc) they issued what can only be dscribed as a very unprofessional, almost childish response, with their list of 'facts' - a list of facts that contradict quotes direct from Ashley, Wise, et al in the previous weeks/months.

KK isn't blameless in this, but the Board have acted quite poorly, and would do well to remember what they have said in articles/interviews previously, before stating 'facts'.

Quite laughable that people are pointing to magazine interviews to "prove" the board were lying over how much say KK had over transfers. Obviously they were going to support their manager in public, even if they couldn't seriously follow up some of his more ambitious targets. Try reading between the lines ffs.

if you want to talk about "saying the right thing", how about responding to what I asked you and baggio earlier ?

The first statement they put out was several hours after the inital rumours broke, and didn't answer what everyone wanted to know - whether Keegan had gone.

They then waited another two days to respond further, answering what everyone wanted to know in the first place - that Keegan wasn't sacked, and hadn't resigned, so effectively was still at the club.

Then, after KK's resignation and statement of reason (manger should be allowed ot manage, etc) they issued what can only be dscribed as a very unprofessional, almost childish response, with their list of 'facts' - a list of facts that contradict quotes direct from Ashley, Wise, et al in the previous weeks/months.

KK isn't blameless in this, but the Board have acted quite poorly, and would do well to remember what they have said in articles/interviews previously, before stating 'facts'.

Quite laughable that people are pointing to magazine interviews to "prove" the board were lying over how much say KK had over transfers. Obviously they were going to support their manager in public, even if they couldn't seriously follow up some of his more ambitious targets. Try reading between the lines ffs.

if you want to talk about "saying the right thing", how about responding to what I asked you and baggio earlier ?

what was that?

what was that?

post nr 5236

what was that?

post nr 5236

Not really sure what you are expexcting me to respond to there. If you want my take on the whole situation, it's that neither side is blameless. As for defending Ashley, seeing their point of view wrt signing players within their means and of a certain age bracket doesn't mean I think the sun shines out of his arse.

It probably shines out of Keegan's tbh.

what was that?

post nr 5236

Not really sure what you are expexcting me to respond to there. If you want my take on the whole situation, it's that neither side is blameless. As for defending Ashley, seeing their point of view wrt signing players within their means and of a certain age bracket doesn't mean I think the sun shines out of his arse.

Ok. It's about Smith, and the comments you and Baggio made. Its a shame Baggio has taken an immature stance to it.

But basically, there are 2 possible answers.

One is that Keegan actually does, or did, want to keep Smith. Maybe he thinks he can do more, maybe he remembers the player he was at Leeds. A combination of both.

The 2nd and only other possible alternative, is that yes he wanted rid of Smith but knew he wasn't going to get a replacement without spending more bucks than they were prepared to hand over. Or had to sell first of course. So, if anybody was saying the right thing, it was Keegan. Lying to say the right thing to big up Smith [as any good manager would do] and also to protect his employers. As usual its Keegan putting the good of the club first.

what was that?

post nr 5236

Ok. It's about Smith, and the comments you and Baggio made. Its a shame Baggio has taken an immature stance to it.

But basically, there are 2 possible answers.

One is that Keegan actually does, or did, want to keep Smith. Maybe he thinks he can do more, maybe he remembers the player he was at Leeds. A combination of both.

The 2nd and only other possible alternative, is that yes he wanted rid of Smith but knew he wasn't going to get a replacement without spending more bucks than they were prepared to hand over. Or had to sell first of course. So, if anybody was saying the right thing, it was Keegan. Lying to say the right thing to big up Smith [as any good manager would do] and also to protect his employers. As usual its Keegan putting the good of the club first.

They bought in a striker anyway, against Keegan's wishes. Is Keegan justified in feeling angry? Yes. Were they right to buy the striker in any case? Yes. It's not a case of black and white good v evil. I think most people already know this but are intent on polarising round their chosen side.

Didn't think this warranted a thread of it's own but someone sent me this link, obviously created by one of those that keep telling us how we are not a big club, in fact they've gone to the effort of building a web page to prove it. Can someone call the internet police for their use of the badge?

www.northwestblues.co.uk/GeordieShop.html

Are you a solicitor? I can almost hear Ashley et al beating a path to your door now. C,mon Big TRon, me old mate, find us a defence; yeah, that's right, guv, we were protecting 'im, we were doing wot was best for 'im and the club, of course, the club, that came first, yeah, well, that and Kevin.