KK resigns - see OP for new club statement issued September 6th

Guest Darth Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So afar, if Keegan has to take some of the blame then how come it is only Ashley/Wise that have to take the brunt of the fans ill-informed rage?

If you're saying it's because of poor PR then I can't go along with that at all, they put out statements when they had something to say. No other club would have acted any differently in their dealings with the fans (read 'media').

It seems to me like he is getting a very easy ride on all counts, even if a small minority of people have enough sense to see what Baggio is saying.

Because the PR and statements they put out have been very poor.

The first statement they put out was several hours after the inital rumours broke, and didn't answer what everyone wanted to know - whether Keegan had gone.

They then waited another two days to respond further, answering what everyone wanted to know in the first place - that Keegan wasn't sacked, and hadn't resigned, so effectively was still at the club.

Then, after KK's resignation and statement of reason (manger should be allowed ot manage, etc) they issued what can only be dscribed as a very unprofessional, almost childish response, with their list of 'facts' - a list of facts that contradict quotes direct from Ashley, Wise, et al in the previous weeks/months.

KK isn't blameless in this, but the Board have acted quite poorly, and would do well to remember what they have said in articles/interviews previously, before stating 'facts'.

Quite laughable that people are pointing to magazine interviews to "prove" the board were lying over how much say KK had over transfers. Obviously they were going to support their manager in public, even if they couldn't seriously follow up some of his more ambitious targets. Try reading between the lines ffs.

if you want to talk about "saying the right thing", how about responding to what I asked you and baggio earlier ?

what was that?

post nr 5236

Not really sure what you are expexcting me to respond to there. If you want my take on the whole situation, it's that neither side is blameless. As for defending Ashley, seeing their point of view wrt signing players within their means and of a certain age bracket doesn't mean I think the sun shines out of his arse.

It probably shines out of Keegan's tbh.

Ok. It's about Smith, and the comments you and Baggio made. Its a shame Baggio has taken an immature stance to it.

But basically, there are 2 possible answers.

One is that Keegan actually does, or did, want to keep Smith. Maybe he thinks he can do more, maybe he remembers the player he was at Leeds. A combination of both.

The 2nd and only other possible alternative, is that yes he wanted rid of Smith but knew he wasn't going to get a replacement without spending more bucks than they were prepared to hand over. Or had to sell first of course. So, if anybody was saying the right thing, it was Keegan. Lying to say the right thing to big up Smith [as any good manager would do] and also to protect his employers. As usual its Keegan putting the good of the club first.

still no response from Baggio, who has been online.

Can't say I;m surprised.

As he actually posed the question too .......

I've only just noticed that actually but now I know you're desperate for me to reply I think I'll give it a miss. :lol:

How sad is it you've been checking if I've been online btw.

I would have thought you'd be desperate to prove the point that you think the system you long championed, was a good one, that gave automatic success etc etc

Your problem lad.

We know the real reason why you won't answer

:lol: :lol: :lol:

pleased with what you wished for then ?

Still, as someone who has only seen 100 games at the age of 27........not that committed in the first place.

So afar, if Keegan has to take some of the blame then how come it is only Ashley/Wise that have to take the brunt of the fans ill-informed rage?

If you're saying it's because of poor PR then I can't go along with that at all, they put out statements when they had something to say. No other club would have acted any differently in their dealings with the fans (read 'media').

It seems to me like he is getting a very easy ride on all counts, even if a small minority of people have enough sense to see what Baggio is saying.

The first statement they put out was several hours after the inital rumours broke, and didn't answer what everyone wanted to know - whether Keegan had gone.

They then waited another two days to respond further, answering what everyone wanted to know in the first place - that Keegan wasn't sacked, and hadn't resigned, so effectively was still at the club.

Then, after KK's resignation and statement of reason (manger should be allowed ot manage, etc) they issued what can only be dscribed as a very unprofessional, almost childish response, with their list of 'facts' - a list of facts that contradict quotes direct from Ashley, Wise, et al in the previous weeks/months.

KK isn't blameless in this, but the Board have acted quite poorly, and would do well to remember what they have said in articles/interviews previously, before stating 'facts'.

Quite laughable that people are pointing to magazine interviews to "prove" the board were lying over how much say KK had over transfers. Obviously they were going to support their manager in public, even if they couldn't seriously follow up some of his more ambitious targets. Try reading between the lines ffs.

if you want to talk about "saying the right thing", how about responding to what I asked you and baggio earlier ?

what was that?

post nr 5236

Not really sure what you are expexcting me to respond to there. If you want my take on the whole situation, it's that neither side is blameless. As for defending Ashley, seeing their point of view wrt signing players within their means and of a certain age bracket doesn't mean I think the sun shines out of his arse.

Ok. It's about Smith, and the comments you and Baggio made. Its a shame Baggio has taken an immature stance to it.

One is that Keegan actually does, or did, want to keep Smith. Maybe he thinks he can do more, maybe he remembers the player he was at Leeds. A combination of both.

The 2nd and only other possible alternative, is that yes he wanted rid of Smith but knew he wasn't going to get a replacement without spending more bucks than they were prepared to hand over. Or had to sell first of course. So, if anybody was saying the right thing, it was Keegan. Lying to say the right thing to big up Smith [as any good manager would do] and also to protect his employers. As usual its Keegan putting the good of the club first.

Can't say I;m surprised.

I've only just noticed that actually but now I know you're desperate for me to reply I think I'll give it a miss. :lol:

I would have thought you'd be desperate to prove the point that you think the system you long championed, was a good one, that gave automatic success etc etc

Your problem lad.

Still, as someone who has only seen 100 games at the age of 27........not that committed in the first place.

what was that?

post nr 5236

Can't say I;m surprised.

Your problem lad.

so you're pleased with what you wished for then ?

what was that?

post nr 5236

Can't say I;m surprised.

Your problem lad.

what was that?

post nr 5236

Can't say I;m surprised.

Your problem lad.

baggio in disguise are you  bluelaugh.gif

Did you know Keegan was initially appointed as Chief Operating Officer at Fulham and only became team-manager after Wilkins left following a fall out over team selection. Ironic really, whatever view one takes of the current situation. Sorry if this fact has been posted before.

what was that?

post nr 5236

Can't say I;m surprised.

Your problem lad.

baggio in disguise are you  bluelaugh.gif

NE5. What do you think of these times? Leaving aside the differences of opinion over who isto blame and so on in the present case, how 'bad' are these times when compared to, say, the late seventies or mid eighties to early nineties? I hated those years but can say that I hate this time all the more, probably because of the time in between. In previous discussions (ahem) with you I've always claimed that FFS was not up to it for five years before he went BUT have we ever had so many supporters so polarised in their views? I can't remember one; even the Lee episode was more player driven. Yet, here we are in the Premier League, probably quite safely. It's perplexing.

NE5. What do you think of these times? Leaving aside the differences of opinion over who isto blame and so on in the present case, how 'bad' are these times when compared to, say, the late seventies or mid eighties to early nineties? I hated those years but can say that I hate this time all the more, probably because of the time in between. In previous discussions (ahem) with you I've always claimed that FFS was not up to it for five years before he went BUT have we ever had so many supporters so polarised in their views? I can't remember one; even the Lee episode was more player driven. Yet, here we are in the Premier League, probably quite safely. It's perplexing.

i've deleted all the immature posts from this clip.

Its' impossible to answer this, without talking about the old board etc, because you are asking me to make a comparison of the club betwen different eras and owners. And when I do that, a lot of people appear to simply not like the truth.

See this link here, I pretty much agree with most of what is in this. I don't have a link to the original

http://z3.invisionfree.com/NUFCforum/index.php?showtopic=3638

I don't really want to go along with the "blame" mentality, the most important thing is to realse where the wants to go. Only the owner really knows.

I have long suspected that Mike Ashley never reallly had serious intentions to succeed on the pitch with the football club. I never expected Keegan to do his 3 years, because I expected him to realise that they didn't have the ambition that he quite correctly demands of a club which is one of the biggest in the country, but I must admit that i "hoped" we would have had him in charge longer than this.

I have to say, that a lot of people have been saying they "think" a particlar thing ie a particular sighing, but what they really meant was "hope"

I've been bitten on the arse too often by this club over the years to think that what I "hope will happen" construes to "what I think will happen".

I don;t think a short term boycott wil work. I think Ashley will sell the club when he is good and ready. Although I concede a boycott and demonstration makes you feel better if thats what you want to do. Everybody is different.

Only long term apathy, or a good offer at this time will make Ashey sell the club.

Its' impossible to answer this, without talking about the old board etc, because you are asking me to make a comparison of the club betwen different eras and owners. And when I do that, a lot of people appear to simply not like the truth.

See this link here, I pretty much agree with most of what is in this. I don't have a link to the original

I don't really want to go along with the "blame" mentality, the most important thing is to realse where the wants to go. Only the owner really knows.

I have long suspected that Mike Ashley never reallly had serious intentions to succeed on the pitch with the football club. I never expected Keegan to do his 3 years, because I expected him to realise that they didn't have the ambition that he quite correctly demands of a club which is one of the biggest in the country, but I must admit that i "hoped" we would have had him in charge longer than this.

I have to say, that a lot of people have been saying they "think" a particlar thing ie a particular sighing, but what they really meant was "hope"

I've been bitten on the arse too often by this club over the years to think that what I "hope will happen" construes to "what I think will happen".

I don;t think a short term boycott wil work. I think Ashley will sell the club when he is good and ready. Although I concede a boycott and demonstration makes you feel better if thats what you want to do. Everybody is different.

Only long term apathy, or a good offer at this time will make Ashey sell the club.

:thup:

Very good post that (on the link, not yours).

It's just a shame that the normal 'get behind the lads and everything will be fine' attitude is starting to prevail

We are our own worst enemies.

Where was that original post from?

:clap:

good post that, hope some of the riled up loons read it before they head off on saturday and spout "cockney dwarf" hatred at dennis wise or whatever other embarassing shit they'll feed the sky cameras

whatever happens i fear dignity isn't going to be on the menu for NUFC

Couldn't agree more re: the linked post.

It's just a shame that the normal 'get behind the lads and everything will be fine' attitude is starting to prevail

indeed it is, but you must also agree with my comments too as they back it up......... ;D

I think the injury to Jonas and potential time he could out should make it clear to all that our dealings in the transfer window would lead to problems fielding a decent first 11 with players in their preferred positions. The sale of Milner forced Jonas on the right and now we have - Geremi?

On a larger scale it goes to show that KK had a rather big point about the squad size and that he had been let down by the structure. We all knew (I hope we did) that the squad was too small & that being Newcastle an injury would come sooner rather than later. In fact I remember posting about this during the transfer window and some saying we'd be ok. We have to hope that Jonas's injury isn't ligaments or he could be out some weeks.

Couldn't agree more re: the linked post.

now that I have a bit more time - what concerned me, personally, the most about Gordon Lee, was it was the first time I thought that Newcastle United had a manager who put the accent on the league. Don't get me wrong, Joe Harvey RIP - won the Fairs Cup, brought some top players to the club and did magnificently, but it was all in spite of having a shite board, and to be honest the flair players he brought masked the fact that during all his time in charge, the team was more set up to have cup runs and invariably had a good home record and a poor away record ie it was inconsistent. But he would have done much better without a shite board.

So, yes, it was more player driven. But that is only because Lee alienated some supporters by selling MacDonald. The crowds were coming back when he left and the team was in contention for the top spots and finished 5th, carried on by Dinnis until the end of the season.

Some people say that it was "boring" but really this is only because they weren't so much of a "home" side, they were much more functional, efficient and "teamaware" than they had been. I personally was completely sold on what Lee was trying to do and believed in it completely.

The team never really recovered from him walking out, their belief in the club went, and this is what I really fear about any backlash of Keegan leaving. The vast majority if not all of them must have realised at that point that they were playing for a club that would never challenge the top clubs and it wasn't too long before most of them had gone, although McGarry [the Souness of his day] went about a hatchet job booting out all the "troublemakers"

To this day, as you know, people blame Lee for the demise because he sold MacDonald. It's ridiculous, it was 18 months later. I think its daft that sometimes people get a bee in their bonnet and blame the person for anything they can ie Shepherd [i have to say this because it seems to me to be very similar]. Lee did the right thing selling MacDonald, the club got a top price for a player who had had injuries and knew would not see out his career [which he didn't] and from a footballing point of view he wanted to build a more "rounded" playing style where more players chipped in with goals. He was right. The shame was that the board let him down, he went to Everton and bought 3 England players *, 1 of which he had been linked with at Newcastle and turned Newcastle down for Everton when he went there.

* England players were at that time, the best players in the first division.

I fear that we are heading back to those days of being a selling club. Maybe not to the extent that simply being in the top league was enough for them [which was the case at that particular time] but they will probably be happy with mid table security and nothing more providing they make a bit of money. Which is exactly what the writer of my link says, and sadly I agree.

I recall after Fat Sam was fired, and the board were looking for a manager, before Keegan made his interest known, there was quite an emphasis on experience being made. I know they came out and said they would not be looking to hire Shearer at the moment due to his inexperience.

Therefore, I'm not sure the rumours of Poyet and Ince are true.

It might very well be an experienced guy who has managed in the premiership before.

Do we still have the thread speculating on who our next manager might be after Allardyce was sacked? Can't seem to locate it.

I recall after Fat Sam was fired, and the board were looking for a manager, before Keegan made his interest known, there was quite an emphasis on experience being made. I know they came out and said they would not be looking to hire Shearer at the moment due to his inexperience.

Therefore, I'm not sure the rumours of Poyet and Ince are true.

It might very well be an experienced guy who has managed in the premiership before.

Do we still have the thread speculating on who our next manager might be after Allardyce was sacked? Can't seem to locate it.

That was Mort and co. doing the searching then though... Different board, different circumstances, different criteria.

The 'Ashley is only in it for the money' theory falls down on two counts. Firstly, a man who's worth £1.9 billion doesn't need the money. Secondly, if despite that, he did want to make more money, he wouldn't buy a football club. (Particularly without checking out the level of debt first.)

indeed it is, but you must also agree with my comments too as they back it up......... ;D

No, you mentioned the old board.  :frantic:

The 'Ashley is only in it for the money' theory falls down on two counts. Firstly, a man who's worth £1.9 billion doesn't need the money. Secondly, if despite that, he did want to make more money, he wouldn't buy a football club. (Particularly without checking out the level of debt first.)

It's 1.4 billion now.

Financial analysts are also compalining it is hard to unravel all his intertwined business stuff.....

It's 1.4 billion now.

Financial analysts are also compalining it is hard to unravel all his intertwined business stuff.....

are you sure of sentence 1 bearing in mind sentence 2 ?

It's 1.4 billion now.

are you sure of sentence 1 bearing in mind sentence 2 ?

You have me there.  :joker: