The Keegan Appreciation Thread

hoppaz

I hope Keegan appreciates us as much as we appreciate him. We aren't going to win the league just yet, but we seemed to be putting together a canny team, so it would be a shame if he just walked out again.

Kevin has an emotional attachment to us the supporter, the club & the city you cant buy that or self create even by dishing out a few free drinks in a shitty club in the Bigg Market you get this because people know you genuinely care about the supporters, the club & the city.....IN KEEGAN WE TRUST.

No one man is bigger than the club but the biggest man at the club in most peoples lifetime is Kevin Keegan & I think it is great to see emotion on the streets (apart from the fuckers after 15 seconds of SSN time), the internet because of what has happened today to a man we call the Messiah. 

As for us Newcastle fans, I get thinking about the Afghani's who in all my lifetime have been at war, as for Newcastle fans we are always in state of turmoil.

Chequebook manager without the chequebook is struggling, what a surprise.

When the chips were down and KK was struggling, good to see some were offering their unreserved support when it mattered  O0

Howay lads...... pull yourselves together.

We still dont know what happened, they way this forums been today, you'd think the bloke could walk across the pond in Leazes Park.

I for one have had enough of nuggets outside SJP with banners, old clips of 'that' rant and slow motion vids of geordies biting their nails in epic games.

Whats happened?  Have we turned scouse?

Look forward, its the only way we can go!

I'm really pleased Keegan has done what he has today because the bloke has too much integrity to keep on being a PR machine for Ashley. I was starting to lose a lot of respect for Keegan as he was starting to insult the intelligence of the fans. To be repeatedly told that money is there but it's hard to find quallity players doesn't sit with the facts. For example do people truly believe that we couldn't have got better central midfielders than what we already have if money was there? Butt is past it, Guthrie is OK and who knows when we'll see Barton in the team! Yeah we got the guy from Valencia but he's hardy got fantastic credentials!

The sooner Ashley goes the better because since day one he's been pretty clueless with regards to the football side of things!! No ambition what so ever in the transfer market, Harry Redknapp as first choice before Keegan, and the recruitment of Dennis Wise!!! Says it all really!!

The more I think about what's happened today the more angry I feel towards KK. That may be sacrilege to many people, but the lack of any comment from him has really damaged the club, if he thinks that letting this situation carry on like it is is in the best interests of the club then he's seriously mistaken. He needs to come out and say something, he should have said something to calm the situation. What's happened today could have serious ramifications for the club's long-term future. We could quite possibly end up with no manager, an owner who's position is untenable and a club that is unsellable too. Whoever's left running our club when the dust settles is going to have to do a hell of a lot of work just to get us back to the position we were in yesterday, let alone take us forward from that. If that's Ashley and Keegan then it'll be hard enough. If it's just Ashley then what's he going to do to get the fans back on side, why would he even care about doing that after what's gone on today? If it's just Keegan then where does that leave the ownership of the club? A huge amunt of damage has been done to NUFC today and there are many many people at fault for that, Ashley, Keegan, the "fans" and don't even get me started on the media!! Those fuckers have got exactly what they wanted today, they could well have destroyed our football club, for fuck's sake!!

I'm seriously pissed off with the following people:

The media: for recklessly deliberately reporting rumours as fact and whipping up the braindead mongs amongst our support to the extent that they were as good rioting outside the ground. You vicious arseholes.

The "fans": for being so unbelievably fucking stupid as to swallow everything and anything they read in the tabloids or see on Sky Sports as fact without any kind of thought whatsoever. For fuck's sake you stupid fucking cunts!!

KK: If you really loved the club you'd have never let it get to this, is this really about what's best for the club or is it more about your own ego and your need to control everything? If things were this bad, why haven't you been honest about it? That's what you're supposed to be renowned for. Why have you been saying one thing in public and another in private? Why have you been leaking negative stuff to the press and saying positive stuff through the official channels? Think about it, if all along the press have been right then where'd they get there information from? If they've been making it all up then what the fuck's going on now and why hasn't Keegan said anything today when all that shit's kicking off outside the ground? What are you doing Kev, you're supposed to love this club, what are you playing at?

Ashley and the club: I'm pissed off with you lot and all, I don't know what for yet, but there must be something you could have done to stop this from happening.

Fuck this, I'm off to bed. This has been a terrible day and weirdly I've only just realised it.

The more I think about what's happened today the more angry I feel towards KK. That may be sacrilege to many people, but the lack of any comment from him has really damaged the club, if he thinks that letting this situation carry on like it is is in the best interests of the club then he's seriously mistaken. He needs to come out and say something, he should have said something to calm the situation. What's happened today could have serious ramifications for the club's long-term future. We could quite possibly end up with no manager, an owner who's position is untenable and a club that is unsellable too. Whoever's left running our club when the dust settles is going to have to do a hell of a lot of work just to get us back to the position we were in yesterday, let alone take us forward from that. If that's Ashley and Keegan then it'll be hard enough. If it's just Ashley then what's he going to do to get the fans back on side, why would he even care about doing that after what's gone on today? If it's just Keegan then where does that leave the ownership of the club? A huge amunt of damage has been done to NUFC today and there are many many people at fault for that, Ashley, Keegan, the "fans" and don't even get me started on the media!! Those fuckers have got exactly what they wanted today, they could well have destroyed our football club, for fuck's sake!!

The media: for recklessly deliberately reporting rumours as fact and whipping up the braindead mongs amongst our support to the extent that they were as good rioting outside the ground. You vicious arseholes.

The "fans": for being so unbelievably fucking stupid as to swallow everything and anything they read in the tabloids or see on Sky Sports as fact without any kind of thought whatsoever. For fuck's sake you stupid fucking cunts!!

KK: If you really loved the club you'd have never let it get to this, is this really about what's best for the club or is it more about your own ego and your need to control everything? If things were this bad, why haven't you been honest about it? That's what you're supposed to be renowned for. Why have you been saying one thing in public and another in private? Why have you been leaking negative stuff to the press and saying positive stuff through the official channels? Think about it, if all along the press have been right then where'd they get there information from? If they've been making it all up then what the fuck's going on now and why hasn't Keegan said anything today when all that shit's kicking off outside the ground? What are you doing Kev, you're supposed to love this club, what are you playing at?

Ashley and the club: I'm pissed off with you lot and all, I don't know what for yet, but there must be something you could have done to stop this from happening.

Fuck this, I'm off to bed. This has been a terrible day and weirdly I've only just realised it.

The worst is yet to come :D

The more I think about what's happened today the more angry I feel towards KK. That may be sacrilege to many people, but the lack of any comment from him has really damaged the club, if he thinks that letting this situation carry on like it is is in the best interests of the club then he's seriously mistaken. He needs to come out and say something, he should have said something to calm the situation. What's happened today could have serious ramifications for the club's long-term future. We could quite possibly end up with no manager, an owner who's position is untenable and a club that is unsellable too. Whoever's left running our club when the dust settles is going to have to do a hell of a lot of work just to get us back to the position we were in yesterday, let alone take us forward from that. If that's Ashley and Keegan then it'll be hard enough. If it's just Ashley then what's he going to do to get the fans back on side, why would he even care about doing that after what's gone on today? If it's just Keegan then where does that leave the ownership of the club? A huge amunt of damage has been done to NUFC today and there are many many people at fault for that, Ashley, Keegan, the "fans" and don't even get me started on the media!! Those fuckers have got exactly what they wanted today, they could well have destroyed our football club, for f***'s sake!!

The "fans": for being so unbelievably f***ing stupid as to swallow everything and anything they read in the tabloids or see on Sky Sports as fact without any kind of thought whatsoever. For f***'s sake you stupid f***ing c***s!!

KK: If you really loved the club you'd have never let it get to this, is this really about what's best for the club or is it more about your own ego and your need to control everything? If things were this bad, why haven't you been honest about it? That's what you're supposed to be renowned for. Why have you been saying one thing in public and another in private? Why have you been leaking negative stuff to the press and saying positive stuff through the official channels? Think about it, if all along the press have been right then where'd they get there information from? If they've been making it all up then what the f***'s going on now and why hasn't Keegan said anything today when all that s***'s kicking off outside the ground? What are you doing Kev, you're supposed to love this club, what are you playing at?

f*** this, I'm off to bed. This has been a terrible day and weirdly I've only just realised it.

what the hell are you on about, this battle is going to define the club for years probably and you want them just to cosy up for the sake of keeping some fans happy. as for being pissed off with all, I agree including yourself for this sort of dirge.

The more I think about what's happened today the more angry I feel towards KK. That may be sacrilege to many people, but the lack of any comment from him has really damaged the club, if he thinks that letting this situation carry on like it is is in the best interests of the club then he's seriously mistaken. He needs to come out and say something, he should have said something to calm the situation. What's happened today could have serious ramifications for the club's long-term future. We could quite possibly end up with no manager, an owner who's position is untenable and a club that is unsellable too. Whoever's left running our club when the dust settles is going to have to do a hell of a lot of work just to get us back to the position we were in yesterday, let alone take us forward from that. If that's Ashley and Keegan then it'll be hard enough. If it's just Ashley then what's he going to do to get the fans back on side, why would he even care about doing that after what's gone on today? If it's just Keegan then where does that leave the ownership of the club? A huge amunt of damage has been done to NUFC today and there are many many people at fault for that, Ashley, Keegan, the "fans" and don't even get me started on the media!! Those fuckers have got exactly what they wanted today, they could well have destroyed our football club, for f***'s sake!!

The "fans": for being so unbelievably f***ing stupid as to swallow everything and anything they read in the tabloids or see on Sky Sports as fact without any kind of thought whatsoever. For f***'s sake you stupid f***ing c***s!!

KK: If you really loved the club you'd have never let it get to this, is this really about what's best for the club or is it more about your own ego and your need to control everything? If things were this bad, why haven't you been honest about it? That's what you're supposed to be renowned for. Why have you been saying one thing in public and another in private? Why have you been leaking negative stuff to the press and saying positive stuff through the official channels? Think about it, if all along the press have been right then where'd they get there information from? If they've been making it all up then what the f***'s going on now and why hasn't Keegan said anything today when all that s***'s kicking off outside the ground? What are you doing Kev, you're supposed to love this club, what are you playing at?

f*** this, I'm off to bed. This has been a terrible day and weirdly I've only just realised it.

what the hell are you on about, this battle is going to define the club for years probably and you want them just to cosy up for the sake of keeping some fans happy. as for being pissed off with all, I agree including yourself for this sort of dirge.

You bastard, I hate you.  :weep:

Good post Indi.   :thup:

You b******, I hate you.  :weep:

wetting myself here

You b******, I hate you.  :weep:

wetting myself here

It's "shitting" myself, the term is "shitting myself here". :rolleyes:

I know where you live, remember!?  :knuppel2:

the situation reminds me a hell of a lot of Robson's last months in charge, with the chairman undermining him, trying to sell players behind his back, making bids for players without his consent, sabotaging bids for first choice players, restricting funds, messing with the coaching, and generally siphoning away power from the manager.

saying you are angry at KK for this is like saying you are angry at Robson for the situation a few years ago. There's not a great deal Robson could've done then, Shepherd had gradually expanded his power base on the back of Robson's success, buying up NTL shares, incrimentally increasing his share holding, getting rid of other executives, employing family and friends and generally running more and more things from his office. Robson loved the club so he worked away diligently without complaining, that's his style. but then out of the blue he was sacked and the club entered a decline from which it has still not recovered.

Keegan is a different character to Robson and works in different ways, but like him loves the club & is a top class manager. But what is the same is that he was facing similar pressures. These pressures - problems, issues, whatever you want to call them - came to a head at the end of the transfer window, ultimately resulting in today's media frenzy. Keegan has a track record in forcing these issues, working them to his - and the club's - benefit. he did this in his first spell as manager, once threatening to resign early on in his reign. this forced the hand of the Halls and as a result we went on one of the greatest footballing spells in our history. He's tried to do the same today if you ask me. Being angry at him for doing this is missing the point on an epic scale - it is looking at the action that is a result of underlying issues, and ignoring the underlying issues themselves. it is a superficial reading of the situation and even worse a kneejerk reaction against a man who has done so much for our club and has a chance to do so much more in the next few years.

the argument seems to be "if Keegan was unhappy, why lie and pretend everything was ok?" yet also bashing him for confronting the issues head-on. well in that case he can't win. and it is a bit simple to call it 'lying' when he is trying to work through the problems with the transfer window still open. that's called doing your job. while there was still a chance to make the required improvement to the playing staff that had to come first. but with the window shutting, and recent developments regarding keegan's primacy on transfer matters rising to a head on the last night (re barton in particular) it seems Keegan was pushed to a confrontation.

it is up to Ashley, a chairman who has, let's face it, done little for the club since he came here, to sort this mess out. if it means a couple of staff like Jiminez and Llambias leave, then that's the way it has to be in order to back the manager. successful bosses mould clubs in their image, Fergie, Wenger, Clough, the liverpool boot room tradition. they don't let property agents decide the future of the club on the back of signing a winger from Mallorca for less than his market value. something that seems to have blinded a number of our fans (ie backing jiminez and vetere over Keegn cos Jonas looks canny after 3 games.)

it was widely known that the debt would have to be paid off due to agreements shepherd had with the lenders. therefore it's part of the process of acquiring the club. it's also an investment that increases the value of the club. and it is not even certain that the debt has been paid off or if it has been shifted elsewhere with more favourable lenders that Ashley already has a rapport with. regardless the vast majority of the debt was structured to be long-term, was for the stadium expansion, and set against future season ticket sales. when companies have debts like these it is often because it is from investing in infastructure or something else which improves your revenue. this debt was no different.

then you have to look at how this has helped the club, if it has at all, which is the specific point made. before Ashley the debt payments were £6m a year, hardly a crippling figure. so the benefit of not paying debt is £6m more for the running of the club, for wages, for transfers. Have we seen any of this ploughed back into the club? if we haven't, then removing the debt has not given us any benefit. where has this extra money gone? has ashley been creaming it off or something? the only benefit of the debt then is if Ashley sells, but of course if he sells, he's making that money back, and can hardly be accused of doing something in our favour if he wants rid now, can he? equally premier league investors are becoming richer so the debt would probably be even less of an issue in the future.

so then to work out if removing the debt has been to our immediate favour you must look at sheer numbers and the club have spent virtually nothing in net terms since Ashley's came in, something like £4m over 2 years. then you must look at the wider context that Premiership club revenues have rocketed, our tv income in particular has risen by £18m. where has this money gone?

but i digress, the important point here is that Ashley is a total ledge, wears a replica shirt and downs half-pints. brilliant!

the situation reminds me a hell of a lot of Robson's last months in charge, with the chairman undermining him, trying to sell players behind his back, making bids for players without his consent, sabotaging bids for first choice players, restricting funds, messing with the coaching, and generally siphoning away power from the manager.

saying you are angry at KK for this is like saying you are angry at Robson for the situation a few years ago. There's not a great deal Robson could've done then, Shepherd had gradually expanded his power base on the back of Robson's success, buying up NTL shares, incrimentally increasing his share holding, getting rid of other executives, employing family and friends and generally running more and more things from his office. Robson loved the club so he worked away diligently without complaining, that's his style. but then out of the blue he was sacked and the club entered a decline from which it has still not recovered.

Keegan is a different character to Robson and works in different ways, but like him loves the club & is a top class manager. But what is the same is that he was facing similar pressures. These pressures - problems, issues, whatever you want to call them - came to a head at the end of the transfer window, ultimately resulting in today's media frenzy. Keegan has a track record in forcing these issues, working them to his - and the club's - benefit. he did this in his first spell as manager, once threatening to resign early on in his reign. this forced the hand of the Halls and as a result we went on one of the greatest footballing spells in our history. He's tried to do the same today if you ask me. Being angry at him for doing this is missing the point on an epic scale - it is looking at the action that is a result of underlying issues, and ignoring the underlying issues themselves. it is a superficial reading of the situation and even worse a kneejerk reaction against a man who has done so much for our club and has a chance to do so much more in the next few years.

the argument seems to be "if Keegan was unhappy, why lie and pretend everything was ok?" yet also bashing him for confronting the issues head-on. well in that case he can't win. and it is a bit simple to call it 'lying' when he is trying to work through the problems with the transfer window still open. that's called doing your job. while there was still a chance to make the required improvement to the playing staff that had to come first. but with the window shutting, and recent developments regarding keegan's primacy on transfer matters rising to a head on the last night (re barton in particular) it seems Keegan was pushed to a confrontation.

it is up to Ashley, a chairman who has, let's face it, done little for the club since he came here, to sort this mess out. if it means a couple of staff like Jiminez and Llambias leave, then that's the way it has to be in order to back the manager. successful bosses mould clubs in their image, Fergie, Wenger, Clough, the liverpool boot room tradition. they don't let property agents decide the future of the club on the back of signing a winger from Mallorca for less than his market value. something that seems to have blinded a number of our fans (ie backing jiminez and vetere over Keegn cos Jonas looks canny after 3 games.)

You don't need to lecture me on the history, I was there as well I lived through that and remember it well.

If Keegan is doing that then he's playing brinkmanship with the future of the club and on this occasion he's got it wrong, from what I can see anyway. I'm going to bed now but I'll give a proper response sometime tomorrow.

A couple of things before that though; Ashley is not the Chairman, he's the owner and paying off £250m of debt isn't doing nothing. Also, why would he bring Keegan in and immediately start to undermine him? It's much more likely that Keegan was told what the situation was going to be like and has just discovered he can't actually handle it in real life.

As I said, I'm annoyed at Keegan for letting this get out of hand. I think that it's pretty undeniable that that's what's happened, when that became obvious he should have made a statement to calm things down, why still no statement from him? Also, if all that stuff that you've said is true, then I'm guessing you're not a club insider so you must have got it from the papers, how did it get there? Do you think it'd have come from the Ashley "side"? No, me neither. So Keegan or someone acting on his behalf has been leaking things to the papers, stuff that has damaged the club and lead us to the situation we find ourself in today, otherwise known as "the shit". Is that the right way to go about things? I don't think it is, and that's why I'm pissed at KK.

Whatever the situation Keegan is not blameless in all this and for the blind amongst us I can reliably inform you that the sun does not in actual fact shine from between his arse cheeks.

You don't need to lecture me on the history, I was there as well I lived through that and remember it well.

If Keegan is doing that then he's playing brinkmanship with the future of the club and on this occasion he's got it wrong, from what I can see anyway. I'm going to bed now but I'll give a proper response sometime tomorrow.

A couple of things before that though; Ashley is not the Chairman, he's the owner and paying off £250m of debt isn't doing nothing. Also, why would he bring Keegan in and immediately start to undermine him? It's much more likely that Keegan was told what the situation was going to be like and has just discovered he can't actually handle it in real life.

As I said, I'm annoyed at Keegan for letting this get out of hand. I think that it's pretty undeniable that that's what's happened, when that became obvious he should have made a statement to calm things down, why still no statement from him? Also, if all that stuff that you've said is true, then I'm guessing you're not a club insider so you must have got it from the papers, how did it get there? Do you think it'd have come from the Ashley "side"? No, me neither. So Keegan or someone acting on his behalf has been leaking things to the papers, stuff that has damaged the club and lead us to the situation we find ourself in today, otherwise known as "the s***". Is that the right way to go about things? I don't think it is, and that's why I'm pissed at KK.

Whatever the situation Keegan is not blameless in all this and for the blind amongst us I can reliably inform you that the sun does not in actual fact shine from between his arse cheeks.

thats a fantastic post. you should reproduce it elsewhere. if not could i post it saying i found it on another forum ?