Public Relations must improve.

James

but how much can we learn by those "safe" interviews that usually appear? its mostly "how are you settling in?" "have the fans been nice when you've met them in public?" i could easily live without that stuff. keegan had a big head start because we knew of him for many years before he came here. basically put, i dont care who they are, as long as they're doing their job well.

if wise had done that, he would have been ripped to pieces. like i said earlier, he could say anything like "keegan DID have the final say but he quit because we didnt buy him ronaldinho, lampard or henry" and he'd have been called a liar by the "omg king kev innit" mob. he'll probably give his side when it has all died down and most fans might hear his thoughts with a level head and not just dismiss his views automatically.

So are you perfectly happy not having an earthly clue what is going on with the club in terms of the employment of a new manager

Guest The Libertine

but how much can we learn by those "safe" interviews that usually appear? its mostly "how are you settling in?" "have the fans been nice when you've met them in public?" i could easily live without that stuff. keegan had a big head start because we knew of him for many years before he came here. basically put, i dont care who they are, as long as they're doing their job well.

if wise had done that, he would have been ripped to pieces. like i said earlier, he could say anything like "keegan DID have the final say but he quit because we didnt buy him ronaldinho, lampard or henry" and he'd have been called a liar by the "omg king kev innit" mob. he'll probably give his side when it has all died down and most fans might hear his thoughts with a level head and not just dismiss his views automatically.

So are you perfectly happy not having an earthly clue what is going on with the club in terms of the employment of a new manager

we know as much as we usually know in this situation. keegan coming back was a very well kept secret and most fans were happy with that so, no, im not too bothered at this point.

I don't really see why "we" as fans think we have a divine right to know what is going on at all times. I get the impression that those fans who have grown up with Fat Freddy think that a club chairman SHOULD be giving press conferences/weekly interviews/chats with the local rag  :idiot2:

For me, a well run club shouldn't have much in the way of media comments. The manager should give his pre and post match press conference (if only to meet contractual obligations and help the fans identify with the man picking the players). I don't see a need for any other directors to be speaking with the press UNLESS they're announcing a new development in their specific area i.e. Director of Commercial Development announcing ground redevelopment, etc. Executive Director (Football) unveiling a new signing (IF the club choose to go down this route).

Obviously, this only works when the club is being run in the right manner - looking at the massive progress the club has made over the past twelve months, I have to say that I believe this to be the case.

- Academy improved and invested in

- Genuine attempts to improve the relationship between the fans and the club (somewhat overshadowed/tarnished by the perceived events of the past couple of weeks)

- an end to "club insider" stories damaging squad morale

- A massive improvement in the QUALITY of the first XI playing squad

- Club finances secured and a plan to return the balance sheet to a long-term sustainable level (i.e. securing the long-term future of the club)

- Overall, a modernisation of the club structure

Again, a lot of this has been forgotten, ignored, etc in the last couple of weeks, but while progress continues to be made, I'm happy for the chairman/board to continue their lack of PR activity.

I don't really see why "we" as fans think we have a divine right to know what is going on at all times. I get the impression that those fans who have grown up with Fat Freddy think that a club chairman SHOULD be giving press conferences/weekly interviews/chats with the local rag  :idiot2:

For me, a well run club shouldn't have much in the way of media comments. The manager should give his pre and post match press conference (if only to meet contractual obligations and help the fans identify with the man picking the players). I don't see a need for any other directors to be speaking with the press UNLESS they're announcing a new development in their specific area i.e. Director of Commercial Development announcing ground redevelopment, etc. Executive Director (Football) unveiling a new signing (IF the club choose to go down this route).

Obviously, this only works when the club is being run in the right manner - looking at the massive progress the club has made over the past twelve months, I have to say that I believe this to be the case.

- Academy improved and invested in

- Genuine attempts to improve the relationship between the fans and the club (somewhat overshadowed/tarnished by the perceived events of the past couple of weeks)

- an end to "club insider" stories damaging squad morale

- A massive improvement in the QUALITY of the first XI playing squad

- Club finances secured and a plan to return the balance sheet to a long-term sustainable level (i.e. securing the long-term future of the club)

- Overall, a modernisation of the club structure

Again, a lot of this has been forgotten, ignored, etc in the last couple of weeks, but while progress continues to be made, I'm happy for the chairman/board to continue their lack of PR activity.

You dont think that fans have a right to be given some information, any information, at a time like this? To be re-assured that the club isnt in the total disarray that is appears to be in ? To be told that the search for a new manager is at an advanced stage and that candidates have been targeted. Stunning.

If your happy to just sit back and let the club act ike this then you must be a dream supporter for them then because it appears that your just prepared to let them do whatever the fuck they like.

Looking at what is happening on the pitch today, I would guess that there isnt any information being fed through to the players either because they appear to be performing like a text book team of players that havent a clue what the fuck is going on and have had all the confidence sucked from them.

ROFL  ;D

In the 23 years I've been alive we've had 11 managers, with 8 of those in the past 11 years. It's not something to be particularly pleased about, but I've come to accept that the way our support works, there are very few people who would ever get enough time to make a mark on the club and last longer than a couple of seasons.

I can remember three different owners/chairman, all in their own distinctive way and ran the club how they saw fit. I'm fairly confident I'll see at least another three or four owners before my hair starts turning grey, so all this "end of the world" chat doesn't really wash with me.

I support the badge, I support the club. Regardless of who I think deserves to be picked in the starting XI - when they step out onto the pitch I'll support them for the 90minutes. The chairman, the manager, the players...they're just faces....they're just names...they'll come and go, some will be successful...most won't. What's important to me is that I retain a sense of dignity throughout it all...I'd like that to be extended through to the rest of our fans, but sadly this episode has seen a lot of them lose most, if not all, self-respect.

whoever is in charge of the club has no real need to tell the fans anything they don't want to, what gives us the divine right to know the exact workings of the management/playing structure?

ROFL  ;D

In the 23 years I've been alive we've had 11 managers, with 8 of those in the past 11 years. It's not something to be particularly pleased about, but I've come to accept that the way our support works, there are very few people who would ever get enough time to make a mark on the club and last longer than a couple of seasons.

I can remember three different owners/chairman, all in their own distinctive way and ran the club how they saw fit. I'm fairly confident I'll see at least another three or four owners before my hair starts turning grey, so all this "end of the world" chat doesn't really wash with me.

I support the badge, I support the club. Regardless of who I think deserves to be picked in the starting XI - when they step out onto the pitch I'll support them for the 90minutes. The chairman, the manager, the players...they're just faces....they're just names...they'll come and go, some will be successful...most won't. What's important to me is that I retain a sense of dignity throughout it all...I'd like that to be extended through to the rest of our fans, but sadly this episode has seen a lot of them lose most, if not all, self-respect.

whoever is in charge of the club has no real need to tell the fans anything they don't want to, what gives us the divine right to know the exact workings of the management/playing structure?

Well none of that really had anything to do with the subject of the thread.

I am not asking for a full breakdown of the full intricate working of the structure... all I am saying is i would be good for someone from senior management, to give a short interview to Sky, BBC or who the fuck ever and just let us know that we might be somewhere close to appointing a new manager.

I think after they sacked Allardyce, that might not even been so necessary but this is so way beyond like anything that has ever happened before, the fans need to be re-assured. They know that the majority are siding with Keegan, thats natural because of what has been before, I am just staggered that they dont start talking to the fans to try and start gaining their confidence.

The silence, coupled with the inevtiable gossip, its fucking crippling the whole club.

I am not asking for a full breakdown of the full intricate working of the structure... all I am saying is i would be good for someone from senior management, to give a short interview to Sky, BBC or who the fuck ever and just let us know that we might be somewhere close to appointing a new manager.

I think after they sacked Allardyce, that might not even been so necessary but this is so way beyond like anything that has ever happened before, the fans need to be re-assured. They know that the majority are siding with Keegan, thats natural because of what has been before, I am just staggered that they dont start talking to the fans to try and start gaining their confidence.

The silence, coupled with the inevtiable gossip, its fucking crippling the whole club.

But if they aren't anywhere closer to appointing someone, would you rather they lied to you?

I'd much prefer them to be getting on with appointing (whoever they feel is) the right man for the job than trying to launch a counter-offensive media storm in light of the negative stories in the past couple of weeks. Does that make sense?

But if they aren't anywhere closer to appointing someone, would you rather they lied to you?

I'd much prefer them to be getting on with appointing (whoever they feel is) the right man for the job than trying to launch a counter-offensive media storm in light of the negative stories in the past couple of weeks. Does that make sense?

Yes it does mate.

In response to your first comment, I would prefer them to just tell us as it is. If they are no where near then just tell us "Kevin's leaving has left us in a difficult situation so getting a new manager that is right for the job isnt going to be easy - especialyl at this early stage of the season". Most sensible fans would understand that. Its a little something that I genuinely believe would start toheal the wounds between fans and board.

My concern is that they have left it too late to start communicating.

If they pull a rabbit out the hat and unveil the perfect manager in the next day or 2 then I shall hold my hands up and say they did it perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's reached the end of the road for me with regard to Ashley and friends. I can buy into a need to buy young, improving players. I can believe that Keegan had a daft transfer wish list that was impossible to implement. What is unforgiveable is the total lack of communication or even any hint of it to let us know what is going on.

I heard somewhere today that Hughton has barely been contacted by anyone from the board, other than thanking him for taking the job on short-term. That could be dismissed as hearsay, but the fact they didn't send anyone to the charity do in Gateshead while Sunderland and Middlesbrough were represented speaks volumes. No public reassurances that the search for a manager hasn't been put on the shelf...nothing. Just a few hundred miles distance of safety from the turmoil at the club.

Ashley is still the owner, but if he's given up on his football adventure, then he deserves all the flak he gets.

I think it's reached the end of the road for me with regard to Ashley and friends. I can buy into a need to buy young, improving players. I can believe that Keegan had a daft transfer wish list that was impossible to implement. What is unforgiveable is the total lack of communication or even any hint of it to let us know what is going on.

I heard somewhere today that Hughton has barely been contacted by anyone from the board, other than thanking him for taking the job on short-term. That could be dismissed as hearsay, but the fact they didn't send anyone to the charity do in Gateshead while Sunderland and Middlesbrough were represented speaks volumes. No public reassurances that the search for a manager hasn't been put on the shelf...nothing. Just a few hundred miles distance of safety from the turmoil at the club.

Ashley is still the owner, but if he's given up on his football adventure, then he deserves all the flak he gets.

Admit it, you were persuaded by my post to that effect last night weren't you? :razz:

Seriously though, not sending anyone to the charity thing is shocking. It's little things like that that show you how much the club is in disarray. They have shown themselves to be so far out of touch with the supporters that the damage is irreparable now.

Admit it, you were persuaded by my post to that effect last night weren't you? :razz:

Seriously though, not sending anyone to the charity thing is shocking. It's little things like that that show you how much the club is in disarray. They have shown themselves to be so far out of touch with the supporters that the damage is irreparable now.

You were right about the dereliction of duty, but I was sticking to what I believed about being let down by Keegan, (which I still do). But there's no excuse for what is going on right now, future visions and 5 year plans mean sod all when you can't even pick up the phone to the caretaker manager and discuss what next?

The total lack of communication to the media and fans alike is a true indication of the bunker mentality we now have and the unprofessional attitude employed ,the press office will be hugely embarressed by this if we actually  have one and this creates more pressure for Cashley and his goons from the tabloids .

The total lack of communication to the media and fans alike is a true indication of the bunker mentality we now have and the unprofessional attitude employed ,the press office will be hugely embarressed by this if we actually  have one and this creates more pressure for Cashley and his goons from the tabloids .

Absolutely, the situation atm is awful but the lack of any communication with the fans make it even worse.

Guest The Libertine

Keegan hasnt said anything yet either. just something to remember.

Under what obligation does he have to ?

Answer: none whatsover.

ashley/the club released a statement with the word "fact" in about 10 times which basically called keegan a liar. ashley/the club must be very confident in their argument to issue such a powerfully worded statement. "Mr Principle" keegan hasnt yet answered any of the claims. i wonder why....

ashley/the club released a statement with the word "fact" in about 10 times which basically called keegan a liar. ashley/the club must be very confident in their argument to issue such a powerfully worded statement. "Mr Principle" keegan hasnt yet answered any of the claims. i wonder why....

Unfortunately for Ashley and co, their "statement" didn't actually go against what Keegan said with regards to players being bought behind his back. They stopped short of saying anything like that, therefore I'd imagine Keegan's argument is probably correct.

what did keegan actually say ?

Guest The Libertine

Unfortunately for Ashley and co, their "statement" didn't actually go against what Keegan said with regards to players being bought behind his back. They stopped short of saying anything like that, therefore I'd imagine Keegan's argument is probably correct.

“It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, on appointment on January 16, 2008, agreed to report to a Director of Football and to the Board. It is a fact that Kevin Keegan worked within that structure from January 16 until his resignation.

“It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, as manager, had specific duties in that he was responsible for the training, coaching, selection and motivation of the team.

“It is a fact that Kevin Keegan was allowed to manage his specific duties without any interference from any board member.

ie. keegan had nothing to do with transfers, yet he claims he did.

“It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, on appointment on January 16, 2008, agreed to report to a Director of Football and to the Board. It is a fact that Kevin Keegan worked within that structure from January 16 until his resignation.

“It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, as manager, had specific duties in that he was responsible for the training, coaching, selection and motivation of the team.

“It is a fact that Kevin Keegan was allowed to manage his specific duties without any interference from any board member.

that doesn't actually make it that clear. "report to" could mean any number of things but i thibk the club must feel they are on pretty solid ground to attck like that.

It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, on appointment on January 16, 2008, agreed to report to a Director of Football and to the Board. It is a fact that Kevin Keegan worked within that structure from January 16 until his resignation.

It is a fact that Kevin Keegan, as manager, had specific duties in that he was responsible for the training, coaching, selection and motivation of the team.

It is a fact that Kevin Keegan was allowed to manage his specific duties without any interference from any board member.

that doesn't actually make it that clear. "report to" could mean any number of things but i thibk the club must feel they are on pretty solid ground to attck like that.

The statement is an obvious attempt at saving face, considering Dennis Wise and Mike Ashley both claimed Keegan had final say on all transfers. Here are Wise's qoutes: "I'm here to help Kevin, bringing young players through and also recommend certain players to him. He'll say yes and no, he has the final word, no-one else. Everything that happens will be run past him."

and keegan said that aswell when he knew he didn't.

The statement is an obvious attempt at saving face, considering Dennis Wise and Mike Ashley both claimed Keegan had final say on all transfers. Here are Wise's qoutes: "I'm here to help Kevin, bringing young players through and also recommend certain players to him. He'll say yes and no, he has the final word, no-one else. Everything that happens will be run past him."

Why do you think Wise went over his head to bring players in on the final day then?

Why have you allowed Libertine's pointless comment lead you down this track again.

Keegan is no longer with the club therefore is under no obligation to talk to anyone about what happened bar to satisfy our raging curiosity.

Ashley is still the owner of the club and Llambias etc are still in charge of the running of the club and its their total lack of communication with its fanbase that is now causing further problems.

Guest The Libertine

Why have you allowed Libertine's pointless comment lead you down this track again.

Keegan is no longer with the club therefore is under no obligation to talk to anyone about what happened bar to satisfy our raging curiosity.

Ashley is still the owner of the club and Llambias etc are still in charge of the running of the club and its their total lack of communication with its fanbase that is now causing further problems.

"under no oblig bla bla bla"

if he had any kind of case in this "fact" argument, he'd fight his corner legally or just verbally to clear his name. he quit because he has "principles" but he'll let ashley calling him a liar go? either no backbone or no case, you decide.

"under no oblig bla bla bla"

if he had any kind of case in this "fact" argument, he'd fight his corner legally or just verbally to clear his name. he quit because he has "principles" but he'll let ashley calling him a liar go? either no backbone or no case, you decide.

But we arent talking about Keegan any more. This thread is about how the current people at the club are not communicating with their fan base