Parky

Arsenal Spending.

1996/1997: £20.25m

1997/1998: £0.8m

1998/1999: £13.8m

1999/2000: £22.85m

2000/2001: £27m

2000/2001: £26.5m

Even back then they were spending as much as we are now.

Seems a long time ago since we whacked a club record bid in for Modric. :(

What the f*** has happened?

The club obviously changed direction when Chris Mort left.

Or he was the glue that held everything together?

It's been said a few times already but it's no coincidence that things have gone tits up since he left.

It's been said a few times already but it's no coincidence that things have gone tits up since he left.

having all these different roles and levels of hierarchy it would need a calm head to mediate and faciliate the process.

can you imagine Mort putting out pathetic statements like the one last night?

having all these different roles and levels of hierarchy it would need a calm head to mediate and faciliate the process.

Which, by all accounts, he was and did.

I actually had to check for a minute or two to make sure it wasn't a shit wind-up. I clicked the link but thought it was a fake so I went on to co.uk and found it myself just to be sure.  :-[

He employed all parties involved in this week's shite and will have known exactly what role they performed and who reported to who.  That seems to have gone out of the window and sides have been taken.

Mort was the Chairman when bids were made for both Modric and Coloccini plus any others we didn't hear about.  We don't seem to have made many bids since June when he left the club, at least none that matched the two that we know about.

I actually had to check for a minute or two to make sure it wasn't a shit wind-up. I clicked the link but thought it was a fake so I went on to co.uk and found it myself just to be sure.  :-[

I never thought it would be possible to top the "seven bells" statement. At least that was harmless though, as well as absolutely hilarious.

This ain't. :dave:

same here, someone posted it in here but i thought it was a windup or was something unofficial from an 'unnamed source'. couldnt believe seeing it up on the official page. we go there to buy tickets and merchandise, read about our club, not to see a manager we all liked being attacked.

Guest Mucky01

so after promising KK and the fans that the funds were there, we didn’t even spend the net budget of £12m.

Thats’s after 12,000 (approx) supporters paid 3 years in advance for season tickets.

So what the hell would we be spending for the next 2 years without that income?

It’s clearly asset stripping and using KK as the front, he was conned and so was I.

Some excellent points being made here. There appears to have been a significant shift in transfer policy between the short time Mort left and Lumbago took over. Whatever intent or vision we had once has been dramatically scaled down. Question is - on who's authority? The owner or the new chairman? Why? From statements issued by the club and intentionally leaked to the Ashley supporting press (news corp newspapers by the looks of it)  they seem to be shifting the emphasis on this "wish-list" of players that allegedly Keegan gave them. Looks like a basic smear campaign is going on against Keegan. Keegan is no mug. Emotional yes, but for him to walk he would have made sure - with help via the LMA - that he had a cast iron case to do so. The club appears to be in panic mode and trying to regroup as quickly as possible. No manager worth their salt would go near the job under current structural and contractual circumstances.

The so called "£12m transfer budget" just about sums up this new policy - if true - and is an insult to those who have stumped up our hard earned cash to simply watch a decent entertaining team play football the way it was meant to be played. Saying we should follow the Arsenal model is a joke. If it was that easy to do everyone would do it. It's not. Wenger is easily the best manager in this league but he has the resource of a bloody good scouting network to work with.

Newcastle United is what it is. We do not do scrooge.

Guest johnnyappleseed

Arsenal Spending.

that's actually wrong. he only bought 2 players in 96/97 so how could he spend 20m on vieira and anelka.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=piruthZqw9z7KPOQuZ0P6Gg

so ....

96/97 a profit of £995,000

97/98 net spending of £12,525,000

98/99  net spending of 10,630,000

99/00 a profit of £13,580,000

00/01 net spending of £900,000

01/02 net spending of £18,976,000

so for those first 6 seasons an average of £5,726,000 net spending a season.

Arsenal Spending.

that's actually wrong. he only bought 2 players in 96/97 so how could he spend 20m on vieira and anelka.

so ....

You need to factor in player valuations in the current market and player value inflation due to vast tranches of incoming capital.

For instance a £12m spend in 97-98 (10 years ago) would be something like spending 40-50m now on similar players.

The Arsenal analogy is either a delusion or badly thought through, as others have said earlier (Wullie etc) they already had the core of a good side and a business used to success, infact Wenger still added 5 players some of high value Overmars? to that set up.

What strikes a cord with me is the Spurs analogy, a club who continue to sell their best (developing) assest every 2/3 seasons for a profit...IMO this is much closer to what Ashley is upto.

Arsenal Spending.

so ....

You need to factor in player valuations in the current market and player value inflation due to vast tranches of incoming capital.

For instance a £12m spend in 97-98 (10 years ago) would be something like spending 40-50m now on similar players.

The Arsenal analogy is either a delusion or badly thought through, as others have said earlier (Wullie etc) they already had the core of a good side and a business used to success, infact Wenger still added 5 players some of high value Overmars? to that set up.

What strikes a cord with me is the Spurs analogy, a club who continue to sell their best (developing) assest every 2/3 seasons for a profit...IMO this is much closer to what Ashley is upto.

except even spurs have had to invest heavily before getting those sorts of returns. we cant even do that.

so ....

There was no transfer windows back then and all those players were bought just after the season so that's why the list i saw had them as 96/97.

Spending 12 and 10m a season in 97 and 98 is a shitload of money considering they were at Highbury and didnt have the new TV money. That's the equivalent of 40-50m today.

They were also already a title challenging team when spending this money and had players like Henry, Viera and Campbell on around 100k a week.

so ....

There was no transfer windows back then and all those players were bought just after the season so that's why the list i saw had them as 96/97.

Spending 12 and 10m a season in 97 and 98 is a shitload of money considering they were at Highbury and didnt have the new TV money. That's the equivalent of 40-50m today.

They were also already a title challenging team when spending this money and had players like Henry, Viera and Campbell on around 100k a week.

So what happened to this years TV money?  iirc it was in the region of £40m.  Even if Ashley didn't put his own hand into his pocket we should have had more than £12m to spend.  Or is the money Ashley paid for the club actually a loan which he expects the club to pay back? 

Looks like it. Our turnover has been over 80million for years, with the new TV money it must be close to 100million. The wage bill has been cut back from 55million and our net spend under Ashley is about 6million. We have no debt apparently so the other 80million dissapeared into a black hole.

Guest optimistic nit

Cry? I could have laughed.

No vision, no commitment, no clue.

i think thats more paper bullshit. doesnt tie in with going for modric does it.

so ....

So what happened to this years TV money?  iirc it was in the region of £40m.   Even if Ashley didn't put his own hand into his pocket we should have had more than £12m to spend.  Or is the money Ashley paid for the club actually a loan which he expects the club to pay back? 

Simply put if KK had even 25m at his disposal and been allowed some say or infact even been allowed to choose one or two he'd still be here.

Guest The Corner

Probably already been said but i couldnt be bothered to read all of it.

Was this 12 mil transfer budget meant to bring in the wow signing ??

"I cannot help but sneer at Ashley’s alleged modus operandi for Newcastle United as being inspired by Arsenal. Dear, dear me. What planet is this man from? On what day of the week would Arsene Wenger tolerate an upstart like Wise operating from the shadows to buy and sell his players? Arsenal? Don’t make me fucking laugh – the man has completely missed the point.

The simple truth of the matter is that there is little investment going in on the playing side. We have heard that the budget for players was £12m this close season. Well, we haven’t even spent that pitiful amount have we?"  TF

Some excellent points being made here. There appears to have been a significant shift in transfer policy between the short time Mort left and Lumbago took over. Whatever intent or vision we had once has been dramatically scaled down. Question is - on who's authority? The owner or the new chairman? Why? From statements issued by the club and intentionally leaked to the Ashley supporting press (news corp newspapers by the looks of it)  they seem to be shifting the emphasis on this "wish-list" of players that allegedly Keegan gave them. Looks like a basic smear campaign is going on against Keegan. Keegan is no mug. Emotional yes, but for him to walk he would have made sure - with help via the LMA - that he had a cast iron case to do so. The club appears to be in panic mode and trying to regroup as quickly as possible. No manager worth their salt would go near the job under current structural and contractual circumstances.

The so called "£12m transfer budget" just about sums up this new policy - if true - and is an insult to those who have stumped up our hard earned cash to simply watch a decent entertaining team play football the way it was meant to be played. Saying we should follow the Arsenal model is a joke. If it was that easy to do everyone would do it. It's not. Wenger is easily the best manager in this league but he has the resource of a bloody good scouting network to work with.

eerrrmmmmm.......

All in all, time will tell ............

Nothing we say/come up with/assume now will derive a definite answer to the entire situation. Even the Official Club statements etc may not be the total truth.

Time will tell ............ Certainly, I hope the management hierarchy proves alot of people wrong.

eerrrmmmmm.......

Ah, er, Well we do now  :cheesy:  :clap2: