- Put out/collect cones at training

- Hand over the piece of paper to 4th official during games

Terry Mac's jobs

- Organise the xmas party

- Put out/collect cones at training

- Hand over the piece of paper to 4th official during games

- Put the bets on

- Pick up lunch time sandwiches

Despite not knowing what his role actually was, I thought he was a likeable guy tbh!

I know loads of likeable blokes.  I wouldn't want them anywhere near the training ground though.

Guest Toon Argy

Despite not knowing what his role actually was, I thought he was a likeable guy tbh!

I know loads of likeable blokes.  I wouldn't want them anywhere near the training ground though.

He isn't even likeable.

Guest LucaAltieri

I think we've got the cart before the horse... Terry Mac was due to leave anyway, handed in his notice a few weeks ago. When Keegan found out he decided to call it a day, too. It's pointless going to work without Terry around.

I appreciate the fact he has finally gone. Thank you Terry, makes sense to cut any ties to KK and without disrespecting the tache too much we should be filling our back room staff with a much higher standard of coach.

He will probably be back though, bless him!

McDermott the great survivor is a fall-guy at last

Terry McDermott was dubbed "Black Box" at Newcastle United because of his ability to survive as assorted managers came and went. That changed early yesterday morning when a telephone call summoned this most long-serving of the club's backroom staff to St James' Park where he was relieved of his duties.

Kevin Keegan's former assistant used to laugh when people gained his attention by shouting "Black Box" or joked that they wanted to stand next to him when the bomb went off but the great survivor who variously coached, acted as court jester and provided a shoulder to cry on for five Newcastle managers was not smiling yesterday.

It seems that the resolutely "old school" McDermott, who not only worked under Keegan (twice) but Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness, Glenn Roeder and Sam Allardyce was regarded as much too close to Keegan, who resigned amid considerable acrimony last Thursday, by Newcastle's "modernising" board.

As Mike Ashley, the club's owner, made it clear he intends to be around for the long haul, directors refined their shortlist of candidates to replace Keegan. It is believed to be topped by Gianfranco Zola, although West Ham are confident of getting there first, and also features Didier Deschamps, Roberto Mancini and Slaven Bilic. Gus Poyet, the Tottenham No2 and former assistant at Leeds and Swindon to the club's executive director, Dennis Wise, was a leading candidate but is believed not to be keen on the job. Adam Sadler will not work with any of those names as the reserve-team coach was also dismissed yesterday.

These departures leave Newcastle light in terms of coaching staff but Chris Hughton, the first-team coach and former Spurs assistant manager, is in temporary charge. Although the popular Hughton is not a political animal there was an indication that he and McDermott were not quite on the same wavelength when the young right-back Ben Tozer replaced Geremi during the second half of Newcastle's pre-season friendly defeat at Doncaster.

Having been given detailed instructions by McDermott, who was clutching and pointing at an open A4-sized exercise book, a perplexed looking Tozer then saw Keegan's assistant elbowed out of the way by Hughton. The first-team coach proceeded to offer him a fresh set of guidelines - this time detailed in his own A4 notebook.

Fiercely protective of Keegan, McDermott - who back in his friend's original incarnation as Newcastle manager happily made regular treks from the team's then training base at Durham University to buy the squad sandwiches from Marks & Spencer - was selling hamburgers at racecourses when his former team-mate first took charge on Tyneside and offered him the No2 job. Except for a spell away from the club during the managerial tenures of Ruud Gullit and Sir Bobby Robson, "Black Box" had, until yesterday, barely looked back since.

In contrast Ashley and his board were determinedly peering forward yesterday when a St James' source insisted that, rather than seeking to be bought out, the owner has a "five-year plan" he intends bringing to fruition.

Making it clear that he will not amend his controversial, continental-style management structure, the source said: "Mike is firmly committed to Newcastle. Despite the backlash from Kevin's departure he remains determined to get the club moving forward again. He totally believes in the structure he put in place in January.

"The search for the new manager is already under way and it will be a case of Mike and the board working through the list of candidates they have identified."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/sep/09/newcastleunited.premierleague?gusrc=rss&feed=football

Guest catweasle

Good luck terry, thank's for everything you've done for nufc in the last 16 years, you will be missed, hope to see you back soon. O0

ps. hope you gave gollum a smack on the way out.

Guest Toon Argy

Good luck terry, thank's for everything you've done for nufc in the last 16 years, you will be missed, hope to see you back soon. O0

ps. hope you gave gollum a smack on the way out.

:rolleyes:

Bye Terry...don't hurry back.

Must be the most overpaid door opener in history.

hes the only bloke still living in the Harry Enfield scousers sketch.

I'm pretty sure Enfield based them on him.