England - The time is now

Liam Liam Liam O

Whats wrong with this country?  Why does one result change everything?

Oh come on. I mean, i don't know him personally or anything, but Liam O is of atleast a reasonable intelligence. He knows as well as you and i that this result proves little. I know, i didn't watch it, but i've been watching England for a long enough amount of time to know...

Guest Toon Argy

Oh come on. I mean, i don't know him personally or anything, but Liam O is of atleast a reasonable intelligence. He knows as well as you and i that this result proves little. I know, i didn't watch it, but i've been watching England for a long enough amount of time to know...

He has made himself look like an idiot because of what he said in the opening post in this thread.

The sending off effectively killed the game...and it was never a sending off. However, they should ahve had someone sent off for a second bookable. We played some great football, and I don't care what anyone says, for someone with a limited amount of ability - Heskey does great for England imo.

He has made himself look like an idiot because of what he said in the opening post in this thread.

Oh undeniably.

:doh:

Jesus, they are calling it an "unbelievable game" and calling Capello "the most amazing technician ever" on TalkSport

taking things a little too far I feel. Ok, we had a good game after the sending off but I wouldn't be calling us world beaters just yet!

Right, back to the important game, Hull on Saturday!

It is a disgrace that it is shown on Setanta and not normal channels like BBC. Shows how pathetic this country is going as far as football is concerned.

It's just a product now man. Us ordinary fans are losing out. It sickens me.

I don't get that attitude; it's market forces. Setanta made the highest bid, hence they won the rights. The highlights were offered to the terrestrial channels but they bid's were too small.

I agree that the publicly funded BBC should have to make realistic bids, such as the 400 odd million they have put in for the F1 coverage but you certainly can't blame Setanta. Pound for pound they charge pretty much the same a the BBC.

I thought it was a very un-Croatia like performance, obviously missing a couple of key players didn't help in the slightest, but even Billic didn't seem as up for it as he normally would, I usually look forward to his brutal honesty and random predictions in the pre-match press conference but it was very toned down. His tactics are usually spot on but he got it wrong tonight. Playing one forward against an under pressure England side was very odd indeed, especially as it was Olic who has never played that role amzingly. Petric looked lost out wide and Rakitic who is usually spot on for Schalke had a shocker.

I repeat, a very good result for England tonight who showed  the odd sign of promise, but the score line flatters to deceive and generally does have shades of Munich about it.

Good performance, Theo must be quite happy, my wonder is where Gerrard will fit in, as if theres any changes after this rightly or wrongly there will be an outcry.

If you have Sky Sports, try watching the South American WC qualifiers. Quite an education.

An education in what? I watched Paraguay this morning and they play like Jack Charlton's Ireland. The less said about Venezuela the better.

If you have Sky Sports, try watching the South American WC qualifiers. Quite an education.

An education in what? I watched Paraguay this morning and they play like Jack Charlton's Ireland. The less said about Venezuela the better.

Well obviously you've learned all you need to know so no need to discuss further.

Watched the match in a radgie irish/english bar in Stockholm, first time in ages i've enjoyed an atmosphere like that for an england game.

Capello seems to have instilled a bit of confidence away from home, he talked about it as a critical factor before the game and we were ruthless tonight, especially when they went a man down. One thing is for sure, our lot are on the whole better than Croatia and tonight we made that count.

Nice one Fabio.

Croatia 1-4 England: Walcott heralds Capello's brave new world

By Martin Lipton, Chief Football Writer 11/09/2008

World Cup Qualifiers: Croatia 1-4 England

Stunning, sensational, absolutely brilliant, the night that will define Fabio Capello's reign and launch Theo Walcott on the world of football.

But more importantly, more remarkably, more thrillingly, the evening when a precocious talent burst on to the world, and the man who can make the difference was born again as well.

In the Maksimir Stadium, inspired by teenage tormentor Walcott and the revitalised Wayne Rooney, England did not just end the longest unbeaten competitive home record in world football.

They simply destroyed it, first breaking the composure of Slaven Bilic's side, then breaking their spirit and finally breaking their hearts too.

It was utterly compelling, mesmerising and astonishing, an evening which nobody, surely not even Capello himself, could have anticipated.

This was arguably an even more magnificent achievement than the glory night under Sven Goran Eriksson in Munich in 2001.

And it was the reward for a manager who proved he is a gambler, is willing to make the big, exciting calls.

Capello knew that the doubts were rising, that six unconvincing displays had left the country wondering if he was the real deal or merely an overpaid foreign mercenary.

Without Steven Gerrard and Owen Hargreaves through injury, and Michael Owen through choice, Capello was exposed.

Leaving out David Beckham to throw in Arsenal rookie Walcott and sending Emile Heskey up front could have come back to haunt Capello, might have left him branded as inept as Steve McClaren had been here two years ago.

Now, unquestionably, the country has the answer it hoped for and, unlike Eriksson, Capello will not allow the credit gained by one great night to seep away drip by drip.

What made this all the more impressive was the status of the opponents, unbeaten in 35 home competitive games since 1994.

Walcott had looked like a kid blooded before his time for 25 minutes, even while Rooney was beginning to find his feet and Gareth Barry got a grip on Luka Modric.

But as Danijel Pranjic's panicky clearance rebounded off Robert Kovac to fall into Walcott's stride, everything changed. Walcott looked up, spotted the vacant far corner of the net, let fly and watched as Stipe Pletikosa helped the ball find its target.

There was only silence where the Maksimir had been a cauldron, Walcott himself seemingly struggling to believe what he had done before the adrenaline rush kicked in and the celebrations began.

And from that point, it was an evening that will indelibly be linked with Walcott, just as Munich will always be Owen's night. From boy to man, in the space of a few minutes, as Walcott left Pranjic quivering with fear every time he picked up the ball, the matador dancing round the sluggish bulls in the Croatia back line.

The home side, who had been so confident, were left to rely on sheer thuggery.

Josip Simunic could have had three yellow cards even without Graham Poll on the pitch as he decked the excellent Heskey, Walcott and Rooney.

But when Kovac brutally smashed his forearm into Joe Cole's head, sending the Chelsea man tottering like a boxer suffering a delayed reaction after a haymaker, referee Lubos Michel had no option but to brandish the red card.

An extra man and, within seven minutes, two extra goals and the match over.

The first was the sort of team goal that we would be drooling over if it was scored by Argentina or Brazil.

Heskey teased the ball wide left where Rooney strolled past Vedran Corluka before slipping in Frank Lampard.

From Lampard to Heskey, a heel flick to Rooney and then the perfect pass, allowing Walcott time and space to again drill into the far corner.

When Cole's replacement, Jermaine Jenas, flew round the outside to set up Rooney for a calm and assured finish from 12 yards, the destination of the points was determined.

Lampard had a goal ruled out but Croatia, whose fans never gave up, did not capitulate entirely. They even pulled one back, even if their goal should never have been allowed as Darijo Srna booted John Terry in the head in the build up.

Scandalously play was waved on, with Srna setting up substitute Mario Mandzukic.

But it was merely setting the stage for the perfect finish by Walcott, as Rooney slid through and the young Gunner's left foot did the rest.

The perfect end to the perfect evening. Something different is in the air and the message could reverberate all the way to South Africa in 2010. This was a night to remember.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/09/11/croatia-1-4-england-walcott-heralds-capello-s-brave-new-world-115875-20732236/

SAY it loud, say it proud - England are back.

Fabio Capello is leading the country out of the dark ages and we are on course for the 2010 World Cup finals.

This was the best England performance since the 5-1 victory over Germany in Munich seven years ago.

And it was led by hat-trick hero Theo Walcott, the Arsenal youngster who is the standard bearer for the new era.

Walcott, 19, gave Croatia a right kick in the Balkans as they lost their first-ever competitive game here in Zagreb.

There was also a goal for the impressive Wayne Rooney — who answered a growing army of critics — while England had heroes all over the pitch.

Emile Heskey was a barnstorming leader of the line, ably backed up by an energetic midfield and a rock-solid defence.

Croatia have won so many friends over the years for their skilful and competitive approach but Slaven Bilic’s team were an absolute disgrace last night.

They resorted to organised thuggery to try and stop England.

And they had Robert Kovac sent off for an elbow on Joe Cole which knocked the Chelsea man senseless.

Josip Simunic should have joined him for blatant attacks on Walcott and Rooney. But England rose above all the provocation and their football did the talking.

Skipper John Terry spoke emotionally before this Group Six qualifier about how he would love to stand up and talk about a brilliant performance under his captaincy — which he had not been able to do since first getting the armband under Steve McClaren.

Now he could thanks to his young pal Walcott.

When Walcott went to the 2006 World Cup as a shock choice for Sven Goran Eriksson’s squad, no one could believe it.

He was not ready and did not play a single minute, but Eriksson had seen something in the kid and Capello has recognised it too. Walcott has grown up.

He has developed a strength to go with his talent and plays with that freedom Capello has been asking for from his players.

Let no England player ever again talk of being afraid to pull on the shirt. Walcott has shown there is absolutely nothing to be scared of.

When he was subbed with a few minutes left, the new England was thrown starkly into perspective as on came 33-year-old David Beckham in his place.

The order has changed. Becks is destined to be Theo’s understudy from this day forward.

And who knows where the absent Steven Gerrard will fit now. Or for that matter Michael Owen, the last man to score a competitive hat-trick in that game against the Germans.

Perhaps the memories of the 2-0 defeat here two years ago were still in the mind in the early stages.

England started nervously and when keeper David James dropped the ball, Vedran Corluka slammed a shot into the side-netting.

But some stout defending by Terry kept the Croats at bay.

And when Heskey went down in the area under a challenge from Simunic, there was a strong case for a penalty.

Rather than rant at the ref, the visitors took heart from having rattled Croatia and on 26 minutes they were ahead with Walcott’s first international goal.

For once England got a bit of luck — which has been in short supply in recent seasons — as Rio Ferdinand came striding out from the back and played a ball towards Rooney.

Though Rooney’s pass only found Daniel Pranjic, the Croat defender’s clearance hit team-mate Robert Kovac and rebounded kindly.

Walcott collected, took aim and beat keeper Stipe Pletikosa in the far corner.

He almost got a second two minutes later when another shot from an identical position was pushed away by the keeper.

Walcott was really getting to the Croats and the next time England broke, Simunic took drastic action to halt his threat, leaving the Gunners ace flat out.

It was an outrageous challenge and Simunic got a yellow card which should have been a red.

Simunic was doing everything he could to get sent off.

He blatantly blocked Rooney’s run just after half-time but did not even get a talking-to.

From the free-kick by Lampard, Pletikosa dived to his right to push the ball away.

The dark side of the Croats was coming out and Kovac’s elbow on Joe Cole was criminal.

Cole went to ground, tried to get up and then his legs buckled under him.

There was blood everywhere and the Chelsea midfielder was out cold.

Kovac was rightly sent off and Cole was carted off to the medical centre.

With England a man to the good it was all looking very promising and the goal they scored on 59 minutes was an absolute cracker.

Lampard fed Heskey, who laid the ball off to Rooney and he found Walcott.

It was Walcott’s favourite spot and from the same position as he scored the first, he picked out the bottom corner once more. Total football or what?

After 63 minutes England had another. Substitute Jermaine Jenas got to the goal-line and cut the ball back for Rooney, who side-footed home.

It was what we had been waiting for from Rooney — his first England goal since the 2-1 defeat in Russia last October — and what we want more of.

Lampard thought he had a fourth following another good move but it was ruled out for an earlier foul by Heskey.

Croatia substitute Mario Mandzukic pulled a goal back 12 minutes from time.

But England were never going to blow it and Walcott broke on to Rooney’s pass with eight minutes left to complete his magnificent treble.

It was enough to make Bilic wish he had gone to West Ham — and things have to get pretty bad for anyone to want to do that

The world woke yesterday to news of the scientific test on the big bang theory and the fear was England might finish the day disappearing down a black hole. Instead they made a very big bang of their own.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1672225.ece