England - The time is now

Liam Liam Liam O

After watching England tear Croatia apart tonight, its clear Capello has them going in the right direction.  For one of the better teams in the Euros to be destroyed so easily shows just how far we've come on the last few months.  After tonight's performance we'll rightly be installed as one of the World Cup favourites.

Is this finally the time for England's golden generation?

No. it's a start but still a work in progress.

Walcott exploited a slow croatian defence, he won't be able to do that every game and now he'll be a marked man so will need to develop his close control to deal with that. hopefully he'll be given a run in the right-wing position though, to see if he can keep some sort of form up.

Heskey and Rooney seemed to work in the 2nd half but as Dave said elsewhere that was after croatia were down to 10 men when rooney, linking with the rest of the team, had more space and time on the ball.

Don't think the left side is cut and dried either, joe cole, despite his goals in andorra, doesn't do anything for me, totally average.

Barry and Lampard seemed fine, not totally convinced by either of them but they do everything fairly well without doing anything exceptional.

Terry and James are still liabilities.

also some other players out there to come back like Gerrard, maybe Owen and Neville, who could mess this side up.

It's one game.   No matter how good you were, you're not going to go from 15th in the world, to World Cup favourites!

Agreed, but world rankings mean nowt.

Didn't see the game tonight... was this really one of our best performances in like, years, then? Imagine some of the pace and danger we could have with a wing combo of Young and Walcott, that'd be nice. I'd play Joe Cole off a striker n'all, in that case.

Trying to feel a bit mroe excited about England, failing so far though. :undecided:

I don't get the hump over England's delusion of grandeur Brummie, infact I was just about to start a similar thread about Scotland after the game today.  O0

That's different though. Scotland really are shit.

After watching England tear Croatia apart tonight, its clear Capello has them going in the right direction.  For one of the better teams in the Euros to be destroyed so easily shows just how far we've come on the last few months.  After tonight's performance we'll rightly be installed as one of the World Cup favourites.

Is this finally the time for England's golden generation?

I thought you were Irish Liam :)

Guest black n white

It's one game.   No matter how good you were, you're not going to go from 15th in the world, to World Cup favourites!

Agreed, but world rankings mean nowt.

Didn't see the game tonight... was this really one of our best performances in like, years, then? Imagine some of the pace and danger we could have with a wing combo of Young and Walcott, that'd be nice. I'd play Joe Cole off a striker n'all, in that case.

Trying to feel a bit mroe excited about England, failing so far though. :undecided:

agreed

we beat croatia in a qualifier............ooh excellent fantastic wonderful

the time is now :crazy2:

Just posted this in the match thread:

4-1 intresting stuff. Watched the action up until the third goal, for me this has been a very flattering result which will do nothing more than paper over the cracks.

First thing's first congratulations to Theo Walcott, nice to see a new lad break into what has become a very stale set-up and ruffle some feathers.

Now for me the red card ended the game as any kind of contest. England were able to exploit the space it created and it was evident from the second and third goals Croatia were unable to adapt at the back. However I'm not convinced it was a sending off. Either way it was a very poor decision, the ref clearly reacted to the injury rather than the challange. For me the lad lead with his arm and therefore deserved a card, but I didn't think it was malicious which made it a rather harsh dismissal.

Before the incident, particularly in the first half England looked very shakey. They made a host of errors at the back including losing posession in key areas and giving away plenty of silly freekicks. Croatia failed to take advantage of this and looked very blunt as an attacking force. For me they still miss Eduardo, but they didn't exactly help themselves with their poor delivery from set pieces. A more potent attack force may just have capitalised.

Bloody good result all the same, but I'm not getting carried away just yet. Thus far I'm yet to see any signs that suggest as an international outfit we're any better than we were under Mr. Eriksson.

Guest black n white

Just posted this in the match thread:

4-1 intresting stuff. Watched the action up until the third goal, for me this has been a very flattering result which will do nothing more than paper over the cracks.

First thing's first congratulations to Theo Walcott, nice to see a new lad break into what has become a very stale set-up and ruffle some feathers.

Now for me the red card ended the game as any kind of contest. England were able to exploit the space it created and it was evident from the second and third goals Croatia were unable to adapt at the back. However I'm not convinced it was a sending off. Either way it was a very poor decision, the ref clearly reacted to the injury rather than the challange. For me the lad lead with his arm and therefore deserved a card, but I didn't think it was malicious which made it a rather harsh dismissal.

Before the incident, particularly in the first half England looked very shakey. They made a host of errors at the back including losing posession in key areas and giving away plenty of silly freekicks. Croatia failed to take advantage of this and looked very blunt as an attacking force. For me they still miss Eduardo, but they didn't exactly help themselves with their poor delivery from set pieces. A more potent attack force may just have capitalised.

Bloody good result all the same, but I'm not getting carried away just yet. Thus far I'm yet to see any signs that suggest as an international outfit we're any better than we were under Mr. Eriksson.

my respect for the majority of these players went along time ago