Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

If you havent seen him playing far better than that you're blind.

And if you wouldnt want him in the side when he plays far better than that, you're clueless.

He's not a conventional English winger, we get it. That argument doesnt prove much atall, just simple minded.

He's not a conventional winger full stop, that's assuming you want your winger to be able to cross, pass and chip in with the odd goal which I do since that's kind of in their job description.

Take Raylor for example. He's not the best player we have but he brings much more to the team than Jonas does because he's capable of passing the ball to a man a few feet away, whipping in a decent cross and scoring the odd goal. This season has told me that Raylor is much more of a miss when he's playing at right back or not at all than Jonas.

So a winger who can loop in a cross & doesnt need to do much else...looks more effective in a side thats playing endless long ball football & shoving big men upfront. The guy whos used to passing it along the floor & working in a side that has far more movement - in comparison looks less effective for us.

I cant imagine why.

All i care about is that the players playing in our side, make our side better. He could score 9 own goals each game for all i care, aslong as we end up winning 10-9. Focusing on specifics like direct assists/goals doesnt mean much. He's not playing for us to improve his own reputation as a match winner, he's playing to improve us as a side. Which he does, when he's confident.

Bit stupid though to say the least for anyone using last night or the last couple weeks, to come to conclusions about his entire level of ability as a footballer.

I'm using his full stint at Newcastle as the basis for my opinion of his footballing ability.

He runs. That's it. He can't do anything else a player in his position should be able to.

Barely even ran last night. Didn't think he looked interested.

Bit stupid though to say the least for anyone using last night or the last couple weeks, to come to conclusions about his entire level of ability as a footballer.

I'm using his full stint at Newcastle as the basis for my opinion of his footballing ability.

He runs. That's it. He can't do anything else a player in his position should be able to.

If he can run that's still a lot more than many in our side contribute. Most of them avoid the ball like the plague in all fairness.

If he can run that's still a lot more than many in our side contribute. Most of them avoid the ball like the plague in all fairness.

Running with the ball and not releasing it is as bad as not running or even not having the ball in the first place.

Running with the ball and not releasing it is as bad as not running or even not having the ball in the first place.

Running with the ball and giving it away cheaply because you have two left feet is even worse. Unfortunately it's something Jonas is very good at.

Yep, on the odd occasion when Jonas does run with the ball I get excited, even if it only lasts a second, it gets me off my seat.

For that moment I believe I might actually be getting my moneys worth because everyone else, bar the obvious few, are awful to watch.

Running with the ball and giving it away cheaply because you have two left feet is even worse. Unfortunately it's something Jonas is very good at.

Jonas's efforts look bad until you compare them with Lovenkrands who is the natural replacement. He was missing due to family illness yesterday, in his previous games he's been missing despite being in the starting eleven.

Jonas's efforts look bad until you compare them with Lovenkrands who is the natural replacement. He was missing due to family illness yesterday, in his previous games he's been missing despite being in the starting eleven.

It's bad regardless of who it's compared with. I don't agree that Jonas should be given the benefit of the doubt because he's our only real option. I begrudingly understand we're stuck with him unless we get a loanee in or a youngster breaks through but i'm not going to pretend he's something he isn't because of this. He is a horrendous footballer.

I don't rate Lovenkrands as a winger anyway so the comparison with him is moot if you ask me. He's primarily a striker that has been forced out there with varying degrees of success over the course of his career.

It's bad regardless of who it's compared with. I don't agree that Jonas should be given the benefit of the doubt because he's our only real option. I begrudingly understand we're stuck with him unless we get a loanee in or a youngster breaks through but i'm not going to pretend he's something he isn't because of this. He is a horrendous footballer.

I don't rate Lovenkrands as a winger anyway so the comparison with him is moot if you ask me. He's primarily a striker that has been forced out there with varying degrees of success over the course of his career.

Well yes, I would prefer someone better than Jonas as well. Unfortunately we haven't got anyone.

Although he isn't playing well it there may be more to it than meets the eye as it is obvious his style is lost in this division and in this team. You watch him at times and you sit and wonder how on earth he is in the Argentina squad, then when you look at his technique it makes sense.

For Argentina he has Messi, Milito, Tevez, even bloody Palermo playing in front of him. None of these players are massive and all like the ball into feet. Last season there occassion where you saw Jonas sliding an intelligant through ball to Owen or Martins and for Argentina he can do this because of the movement and footballing ability of the players in front of him.

Then you look at our forward line. Big strong forwards who can cause problems from a quality flighted delivery into the box. None of them have particualrly intelligant movement. They don't need someone who is going to slide balls through to them they need someone who is going to consitantly bang in quality deliveries from the flanks.

His other asset, his dribbling is lost in the league. A lot of the time you do not get  the time to run at people without a hefty challange coming in. Born in Argentina and playing his trade in Spain it's probably a new world to him, different to even the Premier League.

He definitely hasn't fit in well with English football. If we got rid of him in January and brought in a replacement, I wouldn't be too upset.

But, f***, did we ever have high hopes for him when he got here. He has been a disappointment, no matter how you look at it. Even Colo has come through better than Jonas, which seems shocking in hindsight.

If we got rid of him in January and brought in a replacement, I wouldn't be too upset.

This is it though. Every chance that players going out the door won't be replaced. It'll just leave us even weaker.

We saw that in the summer. Take out the loan signings and look at our squad. 2 centre backs, 1 player for the right hand side. Ashley is more than capable of leaving us without cover or even first team players and the last thing I want to see is Hughton scrapping around in February for a winger on loan - anyone he can get.

If we got rid of him in January and brought in a replacement, I wouldn't be too upset.

This is it though. Every chance that players going out the door won't be replaced. It'll just leave us even weaker.

We saw that in the summer. Take out the loan signings and look at our squad. 2 centre backs, 1 player for the right hand side. Ashley is more than capable of leaving us without cover or even first team players and the last thing I want to see is Hughton scrapping around in February for a winger on loan - anyone he can get.

laurent robert's a free agent now  :-X

Although he isn't playing well it there may be more to it than meets the eye as it is obvious his style is lost in this division and in this team. You watch him at times and you sit and wonder how on earth he is in the Argentina squad, then when you look at his technique it makes sense.

For Argentina he has Messi, Milito, Tevez, even bloody Palermo playing in front of him. None of these players are massive and all like the ball into feet. Last season there occassion where you saw Jonas sliding an intelligant through ball to Owen or Martins and for Argentina he can do this because of the movement and footballing ability of the players in front of him.

Then you look at our forward line. Big strong forwards who can cause problems from a quality flighted delivery into the box. None of them have particualrly intelligant movement. They don't need someone who is going to slide balls through to them they need someone who is going to consitantly bang in quality deliveries from the flanks.

His other asset, his dribbling is lost in the league. A lot of the time you do not get  the time to run at people without a hefty challange coming in. Born in Argentina and playing his trade in Spain it's probably a new world to him, different to even the Premier League.

He's crap.

I agree with you 100%.