Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

Going forward, yeah. Understandable though really what with it being Maradona's first game, that said I don't think he did too bad tactically for his first match in charge.

Agreed, I was glad that they took him off, it saves him for the weekend.

I would still like to see him be a bit more direct. Take a player on like he did at Old Trafford and for the second goal v Villa. He must have the ability so lets see more of it!

I would still like to see him be a bit more direct. Take a player on like he did at Old Trafford and for the second goal v Villa. He must have the ability so lets see more of it!

Yeah thats what I'd like to see, he drifts in far too often for a winger, you want them to drift in occasionally but if you do it all the time its easy to defend against, whereas beating a man through pace and skill can only be defended against by a quality defender with pace.

In some ways I'm not sure why Jonas has to be a winger. The way I see it, he's got the physicality, work rate, and distribution to play through the middle. And he doesn't seem to like running on the touchline and swinging in crosses anyway.

Not necessarily the best of ideas to have our best player switch the position he's been playing for all his life.. But still, food for thought.

In some ways I'm not sure why Jonas has to be a winger. The way I see it, he's got the physicality, work rate, and distribution to play through the middle. And he doesn't seem to like running on the touchline and swinging in crosses anyway.

Not necessarily the best of ideas to have our best player switch the position he's been playing for all his life.. But still, food for thought.

good point.

i think he could play midfield in a 4-3-3 as you get to attack and defend both out wide and in the middle, and his workrate and running would be a big bonus.

not so sure in a 4-4-2 though. for one, you have to be more positionally disciplined and that would waste his biggest strength. secondly, his first touch is not always the best so he'd be closed down more quickly. third, out wide he can single out isolated defenders and skin them with his pace and strength. he'd be less likely to do that in the middle as there's always another person breathing down your neck. we've seen in recent games that he doesnt flourish when people double up on him and its more common to experience this in the congested middle of the pitch.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought here, but has Jonas Guttierez had more than 2 or 3 really good games for us?

Bit of an Emperors New Clothes at the minute.

Apologies to the bum boys who worship him.

Just a thought here, but has Jonas Guttierez had more than 2 or 3 really good games for us?

Bit of an Emperors New Clothes at the minute.

Apologies to the bum boys who worship him.

:razz:

You must be drinking loads with all the bonfires you're pissing on lately mate!

I fully expect him to shine in a confident team full of movement. He's not playing in one.

Sounds like an excuse and I think it is. We knew from his stats that he's not a major provider of goals or assists, but he creates for others.

I fully expect him to shine in a confident team full of movement. He's not playing in one.

Sounds like an excuse and I think it is. We knew from his stats that he's not a major provider of goals or assists, but he creates for others.

:lol: but I know what you mean.

He's got worse since he's been moved to the right. Most of his good work in the early games came from him cutting inside from the left.

Did the wingers switch at any point today? I like to see that tactic implemented.

He's got worse since he's been moved to the right. Most of his good work in the early games came from him cutting inside from the left.

Did the wingers switch at any point today? I like to see that tactic implemented.

Jonas was drifting a fair bit, but at one point Hughton was out yelling at him to get back onto the right.

N'Zogbia stayed left, basically, even when Spiderman swung over to his area of the pitch.

I think he's severely limited as an out-and-out right winger, but no way has he been poor recently. Still looks an extremely good footballer.

See i would as well, but Zogs far too one footed to be anywhere near effective on the right hand side.

Noticed a few times Jonas drifiting to the left, i tthink he sees that as his natural position.

See i would as well, but Zogs far too one footed to be anywhere near effective on the right hand side.

Noticed a few times Jonas drifiting to the left, i tthink he sees that as his natural position.

I'd be inclined to agree, personally. Would really like to see Geremi given another shot in the current team to be honest, especially if we're looking at Viduka/Owen up front.

I'd be inclined to agree, personally. Would really like to see Geremi given another shot in the current team to be honest, especially if we're looking at Viduka/Owen up front.

I'd prefer to see Geremi coming off the bench later in the game as I don't think he's got a good 90 minutes in him.

I'd prefer to see Geremi coming off the bench later in the game as I don't think he's got a good 90 minutes in him.

Why not bring him off on 60 minutes then for N'Zogbia, to let him run at a tiring backline? ???