Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

That 3 assists was more than anybody else in the team, no?

Not more than Guthrie tbf.

Thought I'd pull it up, aye, here's our top assisters in the League last year:

Geremi 3

Jonás Gutiérrez   3

Danny Guthrie       3

Mark Viduka      2

Kevin Nolan      2

Obafemi Martins    2

Jose Enrique    2

Claudio Cacapa    1

Damien Duff     1

Nicky Butt    1

Shola Ameobi   1

Ryan Taylor 1

Steven Taylor 1

Habib Beye 1

Joey Barton 1

Charles N'Zogbia    1

David Edgar     1

Where's the rest of them?

People forget how good Jonas looked at times last yearm when he had fully fit Oba and Owen running in front of him. If we surround him with other dangerous mobile players, he will suddenly become a much more effective player.

I remember how good he looked, I also remember how s*** he actually was last season. I believe he got 3 assists last year, utterly woeful given the players he had in front of him.

His end product has been far more useful this year in a significantly inferior league, much like shola. Don't get me wrong, he's been essential this year but let's not re-write last season.

I'm talking about that little period in December, where we looked a very good side and dominated Stoke and Portsmouth. That period ended with Oba getting a groin injury and us being destroyed by Liverpool at SJP. Our better attacking players were pretty much injured or half-fit from that point on in the season, and before that as well, tbh. It was often Shola or Carrol up there otherwise.

Against Stoke he had a good first half (set up the opener) but played centre mid second half after Guthrie's injury and was useless. He didn't know how to play through the middle at all and was shocking. I don't really remember him doing anything against pompey all game either although he did play the short pass to Owen for his goal.

Like I say, he's been good this season but let's not re-invent last year.

That might have had something to do with Kinnear's brain fart to play Beye on the right wing as well though. Hardly going to help a player to adapt last minute to a new position if the guy next to him is also suddenly operating in a completely different area of the pitch he is used to.

Maybe. I'd blame it more on the fact that Jonas looked shite in the centre tbh. That match was ridiculous mind, I thought we were going to do them 5-0 after the first half, we were so dominant up to that point and so useless after.

The way we lined up at the start of that second half (in the Stoke game). :lol: :doh:

God bless you, Joe Kinnear. :no:

Given

S.Taylor  Coloccini  Bassong  Enrique

Beye    Gutierrez   Butt      N'Zogbia

Owen   Martins

something like that wasn't it?

I think Geremi was in the middle. I'm sure Cacapa played at some point too.

Thought those figures looked a bit bleak, so did my own check and got:

Jonas 4

Geremi 4

Guthrie 4

Shola 3

Nolan 2

Martins 2

S Taylor 2

Duff 2

Zog 2

Viduka 1

Beye 1

Enrique 1

Butt 1

Edgar 1

R Taylor 1

Cacapa 1

Carroll 1

Barton 1

Which isn't much better or different really. I was probably a bit generous in some of my "benefit of the doubt" ideas.

Jonas 4

Geremi 4

Guthrie 4

Shola 3

Nolan 2

Martins 2

S Taylor 2

Duff 2

Zog 2

Viduka 1

Beye 1

Enrique 1

Butt 1

Edgar 1

R Taylor 1

Cacapa 1

Carroll 1

Barton 1

Which isn't much better or different really. I was probably a bit generous in some of my "benefit of the doubt" ideas.

The ones I posted are from just league games. They're from ESPN who are usually spot on with their stats, they have game by game logs and s*** tallying up assists etc.

I'm pretty confident in their accuracy, as bleak as they look.

Jonas 4

Geremi 4

Guthrie 4

Shola 3

Nolan 2

Martins 2

S Taylor 2

Duff 2

Zog 2

Viduka 1

Beye 1

Enrique 1

Butt 1

Edgar 1

R Taylor 1

Cacapa 1

Carroll 1

Barton 1

I'm not saying it's wrong, but the only ones I can remember from Jonas are Villa, Pompey and Stoke. Frighteningly low numbers all round really, no wonder we got relegated.

Jonas definitely only got 3.

I'm gonna back up the stats I posted and say they're about as accurate as you can get - you can always trust Americans with their sports stats. If you go on the site they're posted on they show everything in huge detail, shots taken by individual players etc.

That 3 assists was more than anybody else in the team, no?

Not more than Guthrie tbf.

Thought I'd pull it up, aye, here's our top assisters in the League last year:

Geremi 3

Jonás Gutiérrez   3

Danny Guthrie       3

Mark Viduka      2

Kevin Nolan      2

Obafemi Martins    2

Jose Enrique    2

Claudio Cacapa    1

Damien Duff     1

Nicky Butt    1

Shola Ameobi   1

Ryan Taylor 1

Steven Taylor 1

Habib Beye 1

Joey Barton 1

Charles N'Zogbia    1

David Edgar     1

These are the true figures. They are horrific but they tell the story of a horrific season.

The ones I posted are from just league games. They're from ESPN who are usually spot on with their stats, they have game by game logs and shit tallying up assists etc.

The ones I did are from league games. I got thinking because your list has Duff with 1 assist. But he crossed for Carroll at Stoke and at home to West Ham, so I thought I'd look into it.

The ones I posted are from just league games. They're from ESPN who are usually spot on with their stats, they have game by game logs and s*** tallying up assists etc.

The ones I did are from league games. I got thinking because your list has Duff with 1 assist. But he crossed for Carroll at Stoke and at home to West Ham, so I thought I'd look into it.

Hmm yeah maybe you're right there actually. I remember Duff's cross at Stoke taking a chunky deflection though, so maybe there's a bit of a grey area when deciding an assist.

Geremi 4 - Taylor vs Everton, Dunne (og) vs City, Owen vs Bolton, Shola vs mackems

Guthrie 3 - Edgar vs Liverpool, Martins vs Man Utd, Taylor vs Boro, I've put 4 above but I've put his goal at Pompey as an assist because I'm a spanner.

Jonas 4 - Owen vs Stoke, Owen vs Pompey, Martins vs. Villa, Lovenkrands vs Man Utd (spawny)

The BPL official site has:

Ameobi - 4

Jonás - 4

Geremi - 3

Guthrie - 3

Nolan - 3

N'Zogbia - 3 (dunno how many in a NUFC shirt)

Duff - 2

José Enrique - 2

Ryan Taylor - 2 (same as Zog)

Viduka - 2

(haven't bothered with the guys with just 1)

The Telegraph also records the "chances created" stat, which I always found pretty good to gauge how involved a player is in the offensive play of his team. Sadly they don't track it for the CCC, and I haven't found an archive for past seasons of the BPL.

• 3 weeks later...