Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

I've personally been a touch dissapointed with him this season, his stats compared with Routledge's makes for fairly damning reading, especially considering where Wayne was till Jan.

Routledge is certainly more effective, but I don't think he would have been nearly as effective without Jonas in the side. Jonas ties up a big part of the opposition when he goes forward, and that gives Routledge the space he needs. Both are very important to the team, but it is hard to compare them using stats (assists, goals). I agree Jonas needs to be more effective if he is going to be an asset in the prem though. Especially when our other midfielders (bar Routledge) don't have goals in them.

Thing is with Routledge, he'll beat his man and then whip a ball in without even thinking about it (or looking, half the time). It's very refreshing to see a winger of ours with that sort of confidence in his ability.

Jonas on the other hand always wants that extra second, and you just can't afford it most of the time in this country. But I do appreciate what he gives us in a transitional sense.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I've personally been a touch dissapointed with him this season, his stats compared with Routledge's makes for fairly damning reading, especially considering where Wayne was till Jan.

Routledge is certainly more effective, but I don't think he would have been nearly as effective without Jonas in the side. Jonas ties up a big part of the opposition when he goes forward, and that gives Routledge the space he needs. Both are very important to the team, but it is hard to compare them using stats (assists, goals). I agree Jonas needs to be more effective if he is going to be an asset in the prem though. Especially when our other midfielders (bar Routledge) don't have goals in them.

Thing is with Routledge, he'll beat his man and then whip a ball in without even thinking about it (or looking, half the time). It's very refreshing to see a winger of ours with that sort of confidence in his ability.

Jonas on the other hand always wants that extra second, and you just can't afford it most of the time in this country. But I do appreciate what he gives us in a transitional sense.

Spot on and you might have just helped me solve the Jonás issue in FM!

Agent Denies Lazio Contact For Newcastle's Jonas Gutierrez

The agent of Newcastle midfielder Jonas Gutierrez denies he has had contact with Lazio over the possible transfer of his client to the Aquile.

Currently playing for Argentina at the World Cup, Pedro Jimenez Bravo says no offer has come in for the 26-year-old.

"Jonas is a Newcastle player, and still has three years left on his current contract," Bravo told LaLaziosiamonoi.it. "He intends to respect that contract with the Magpies.

"No one from Lazio has contact me up until now. Jonas and I are not thinking about any teams, other than the ones we serve," he added.

The agent of Newcastle midfielder Jonas Gutierrez denies he has had contact with Lazio over the possible transfer of his client to the Aquile.

Currently playing for Argentina at the World Cup, Pedro Jimenez Bravo says no offer has come in for the 26-year-old.

"Jonas is a Newcastle player, and still has three years left on his current contract," Bravo told LaLaziosiamonoi.it. "He intends to respect that contract with the Magpies.

"No one from Lazio has contact me up until now. Jonas and I are not thinking about any teams, other than the ones we serve," he added.

good to hear

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs322.ash1/28268_1491676330334_1186789153_1470166_6695504_n.jpg

I love how the other Argies look serious and concentrated, while Jonas is more "Holy s***, I'm playing in the f***ing World Cup, how did this happen!??" expression.

good to hear

Especially since it's an agent, they would normally just have dollar signs spinning round in their eyes like a cartoon.

good to hear

Oh noes he's gonna leave us on a free like little Micky!!11!  :frantic:

The text says that Jonas at the age of 1 year (by learing to walk) collapsed and got a heart-attack. He was paralysed on his left side. He fought against that and as he was 3 years old his docs said he should do sport to avoid any following damage. His parents took him to the Estudiantes Buenos Aires football club and after that he went to Velez Sarsfield (age of 8). With 19 he gave his 1st team debut and scored a goal after being on the pitch for 5 mins.

And after that he basically started his footballing career. The rest is quite known that he went to RCD and so on.

And it says that he has his "own" Spiderman-Song from the Newcastle fans.

Edit: And of course it says that he was studying palaeo-ontology till 2005 just in case he would fail with his football career.

Argentine team arriving back in Buenos Aires

http://www.ole.com.ar/mundial/argentina/Amor-Seleccion-Maradona-cabeza_OLEIMA20100704_0085_6.jpg

http://www.ole.com.ar/mundial/argentina/Amor-Seleccion-Maradona-cabeza_OLEIMA20100704_0084_6.jpg

http://www.ole.com.ar/mundial/afecto-Seleccion-eliminacion-cuartos-final_OLEIMA20100704_0077_6.jpg

http://www.ole.com.ar/mundial/Maradona-regreso-Saludo-sonrio_OLEIMA20100704_0083_6.jpg

http://www.ole.com.ar/mundial/Maradona-regreso-Saludo-sonrio_OLEIMA20100704_0081_6.jpg

http://www.ole.com.ar/mundial/Maradona-regreso-Saludo-sonrio_OLEIMA20100704_0082_6.jpg

http://www.ole.com.ar/mundial/Maradona-saludaba-derecha-primer-asiento_OLEIMA20100704_0076_6.jpg

http://www.ole.com.ar/mundial/Messi-serio-vuelta_OLEIMA20100704_0080_6.jpg

http://www.ole.com.ar/mundial/argentina/Amor-Seleccion-Maradona-cabeza_OLEIMA20100704_0086_6.jpg

http://www.ole.com.ar/mundial/argentina/Amor-Seleccion-Maradona-cabeza_OLEIMA20100704_0087_6.jpg

I'm confused with those pictures. Were the fans happy with them and giving them a warm welcome or were they showing their anger/frustration?!

I don't think Maradona and the players would be looking so happy if all those people surrounding the coach were shouting abuse at them.

I'm confused with those pictures. Were the fans happy with them and giving them a warm welcome or were they showing their anger/frustration?!

I don't think Maradona and the players would be looking so happy if all those people surrounding the coach were shouting abuse at them.

That's what I thought, but Arentina were just thrashed 4-0 by Germans and the fans are happy with them? Would not happen with England fans for sure

That's what I thought, but Arentina were just thrashed 4-0 by Germans and the fans are happy with them? Would not happen with England fans for sure

they were giving them a welcome home. it was on ssn. they still love maradona and want him to stay.

The Argentines produce some great players, but their teams always had a nasty streak until Menotti took over in 1974 and got them primarily concerned with playing rather than cynical fouls. There were some dire games involving Argie sides in the past ; apart from England's infamous WC game with them in '66, Estudiantes  and Man U had a couple of seriously physical encounters in 1969 when Denis Law and Co were obliged to defend themselves. Brazil always feel that they have to be 'up for it' physically when they play Argentina and it is one of the biggest rivalries in World football.

I thought their 78 team played some good stuff in winning, but my opinion of them will always be coloured by Maradona's handball in Mexico - I just wish Lineker had equalized with his header near the end of the match....

As individuals, Coloccini and Jonas have never reverted to some of the nasty tricks that their predecessors did and have usually behaved perfectly when playing for NUFC.

"So you can't catch a football? Let's see of you can catch a rock!"

Guest LukeT

As individuals, Coloccini and Jonas have never reverted to some of the nasty tricks that their predecessors did and have usually behaved perfectly when playing for NUFC.

I remember Coloccini punching that Lee Novak in the pre season game at Huddersfield and kicking that Sheffield United player while he jumped for a header in front of him. We got a corner about 5 minutes later and he stamped on that blokes foot as well if I remember correctly.

Guest optimistic nit

I remember Coloccini punching that Lee Novak in the pre season game at Huddersfield and kicking that Sheffield United player while he jumped for a header in front of him. We got a corner about 5 minutes later and he stamped on that blokes foot as well if I remember correctly.

yea but they all deserved it :razz: