Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

End of both their international careers, you'd think.

Deservedly so, surely? Jonas was embarrassing in the World Cup, although it was a novelty to have a player there and playing in one of the strongest teams.

Nothing against either of them personally but they are never international class for their particular country.

Jonas isn't good enough at this level, his end product is woeful. Until we can get someone better though he'll do. At least he is physically quick and strong enough to compete with premier footballers which we can't say for some of our players.

Of course he's "good enough" if the rest of the team is in balance. Ever noticed that excellent passing of e.g. Arsenal or Barcelona? Ever noticed the equally good movement in the same teams? Jonas would certainly not be good enough for either of those teams, but he would certainly be good enough for a Newcastle with slightly better movement down the middle. It's not like the right back, the attack and the central midfield aren't bigger problems right now.

I think he's definitely good enough for where we are at the moment. Sure he's erratic as fuck but who isn't? If he was consistent then he'd not be on our books because he can actually do everything, just very rarely all at the same time.

One of our better players IMO.

I think he's definitely good enough for where we are at the moment. Sure he's erratic as f*** but who isn't? If he was consistent then he'd not be on our books because he can actually do everything, just very rarely all at the same time.

Exactly. If he could shoot or cross he'd be at Real Madrid or Barcelona. It's those flaws that make him a good player in a potential mid-table team who might eventually push for top 8, and a world class winger.

I like his work rate but if we could get a left sided routledge clone I would replace in a second.  People have often spoke about him carrying the ball forward taking the pressure off the defence but running into their defence 9 tines out of 10 loses it quicker than if he just booted it into the stands. Craig Moore had better end product and Jonas made bramble look like xabi Alonso in the distribution stakes.

I like his work rate but if we could get a left sided routledge clone I would replace in a second.  People have often spoke about him carrying the ball forward taking the pressure off the defence but running into their defence 9 tines out of 10 loses it quicker than if he just booted it into the stands. Craig Moore had better end product and Jonas made bramble look like xabi Alonso in the distribution stakes.

if we are going to be uber-critical even Routledge is a bit of a headless chicken who takes on one too many and loses the ball. Neither are good enough to be considered quality. But they are quick and hard working, and once we've got the glaring weak spots sorted hopefully we'll be able to upgrade on the wide positions as well.

I think he's definitely good enough for where we are at the moment. Sure he's erratic as f*** but who isn't? If he was consistent then he'd not be on our books because he can actually do everything, just very rarely all at the same time.

Agreed

Our biggest problem on the wings is our lack of depth there, not the players we currently have starting.

Good shout.  We need (and it the same at the back) a few players who can adequately cover a number of positions.  eg a lad who can play on either wing, a left fullback who can also cover cb (better than Perch), a nipper striker who can drop baack into midfield if needed

If we had another decent winger at the club, I'd really like to see Jonas given a go in a central midfield role - the same role Dyer had in Sir Bobby's team, or McManaman in the Madrid side some time ago. Could be pretty handy as one of those "legs in central midfield" types who'll add some mobility/pace/dribbling through the middle. Although it may well be the case that he's too thick a footballer to play that role. Would be worth a try though, especially given the slowcoaches we have penned down as being our central midfielders.

If we had another decent winger at the club, I'd really like to see Jonas given a go in a central midfield role - the same role Dyer had in Sir Bobby's team, or McManaman in the Madrid side some time ago. Could be pretty handy as one of those "legs in central midfield" types who'll add some mobility/pace/dribbling through the middle. Although it may well be the case that he's too thick a footballer to play that role. Would be worth a try though, especially given the slowcoaches we have penned down as being our central midfielders.

He awlays tries to make runs through the middle, he'd have been more effective than Nolan playing off Carroll against Man U I reckon, we should give him a go there in our next away match if we don't get ben arfa.

He awlays tries to make runs through the middle, he'd have been more effective than Nolan playing off Carroll against Man U I reckon, we should give him a go there in our next away match if we don't get ben arfa.

he tries the runs through the middle because he is usually marked by two men and forced that way. teams can afford to put two against him as we have no attacking threat  from the middle of midfield (nolan usually playing off carroll), hopefully given a more mobile central midfield in tiote,barton (i'll not include guthrie as he very rarely tries to get anywhere near the box or even support the wide men) he'll have more options and hopefully more space.

Maybe this would be the idea if we signed Ben Arfa.

I can't see it being any less effective than Nolan off Carroll, the only thing we would lose alot of work rate down the left hand side, and he links well with Enrique!

I can't see it being any less effective than Nolan off Carroll, the only thing we would lose alot of work rate down the left hand side, and he links well with Enrique!

A midfield and attack of:

Routledge    Nolan/Barton  Guthrie/Tiote  Jonas

Ben Arfa

Carroll 

Looks a better balance and far more threatening with Ban Arfa there, we should certainly cause the opposition more problems. Yes keep Jonas on the left not sure he's all that when it comes to shooting (he's a better provider) and as said he links up nicely with Enrique and gets back to deffend. 

Guest firetotheworks

fwiw...I hate Damien Duff.

I only hated Owen more. But then, at least Owen had form. Even under Keegan, Duff was beyond shite. Even at Fulham at hate the way he plays.

A midfield and attack of:

Routledge     Nolan/Barton   Guthrie/Tiote   Jonas

Ben Arfa

Carroll  

Looks a better balance and far more threatening with Ban Arfa there, we should certainly cause the opposition more problems. Yes keep Jonas on the left not sure he's all that when it comes to shooting (he's a better provider) and as said he links up nicely with Enrique and gets back to deffend. 

Nolan is just not mobile enough for me, he wasn't even that mobile in the championship but managed to bag a good few goals.  It scares the shit out of me he could start most games.