Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

He was our most positive player by a long shot, actually looking to run with the ball and pass it forward. Wasn't his best game but he assisted Duff in the build up to our disallowed goal with a class ball and linked dangerously with Shola down the right in the second half. Easily our best midfielder even if he's been a bit off colour these last couple of games.

• 2 weeks later...

What a contrast of attitudes compared to N'Zogbia:

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/01/09/guti-rrez-will-battle-it-out-61634-22650438/

JONÁS Gutiérrez did not sign up for a relegation fight, but he has pledged to throw himself into the battle for top-flight survival which threatens to dominate Newcastle United’s New Year ambitions.

Gutiérrez opted for Newcastle over the summer after being sold on a vision of the club as a potential force with a team capable of competing for European qualification – but the reality has proved somewhat different.

In his relatively short spell on Tyneside, Gutiérrez has worked under three managers and seen Tony Jimenez, the driving force behind his move to England, leave the club.

Gutiérrez believes there is enough talent in the Newcastle squad to prevent relegation, but it has not dampened his enthusiasm for his new club.

“I am surprised at where the club is, I must admit. But it does not change things – I want to stay at the club for very many years,” he said.

“As a team we have to be better in the second part of the season. It is not acceptable for a team with so many good players to be down near the bottom.

“But in some matches we have not had a lot of luck and that has cost us a lot of points this season.

“Without that, we would be doing better but that is football. It is not always the best team that wins the match.

“It is difficult with the injuries that we have. We knew when we started the season that we don’t have too many players and we have a small squad, though. We need those players to come back for us to move away from the bottom of the table.”

Gutiérrez has not been immune to the curse of St James’s Park, his form having slipped slightly since a flying start to life at United.

A relegation battle is hardly the ideal backdrop for a winger to flex his attacking muscle and so it has proved for the Argentina winger.

Memories of his superb debut were evoked by a sterling second-half performance at Hull last weekend and Gutiérrez believes that he will improve during the second half of the season.

“I think I will improve because I feel more settled, I feel fit and strong and I am used to how English football is played now,” he said. “I love English football. I was desperate to join Newcastle to play in the Premier League because I like this league very much and I have enjoyed it.”

Despite the turmoil, Gutiérrez has settled well at St James’s Park. And he was suitably impressed by the way supporters reacted to Shay Given before the FA Cup third round tie with Hull.

That is likely to be replicated at St James’s Park tomorrow when the Republic of Ireland goalkeeper steps out for his first home game since making his disillusionment with the club known.

“He handled things very well against Hull and deserved the fans to cheer for him. It was important for him for the supporters to cheer for him,” Gutiérrez said. “The supporters are always with us. We will try to give them the win they deserve.”

Guest firetotheworks

I have so much affection for Jonas its unbelievable. I dont think I could want any more from him. His heart when he plays is there to be seen in his determination and courage, and quite frankly I love him for it.

He's not worried because he knows another decent team will take him sooner rather than later tbh.

This could well be the case, but its certainly a better way of going about getting a move to a decent team than whinging and crying every time your out of the team. It's a win win situation, the fans will love you for saying it, and prospective buyers will be impressed by your attitude.

Guest BooBoo

I notice he's 20/1 to be first scorer tomorrow. I think thats refelctive of the miniscule goal threat he offers. He's a good player but his lack of shooting troubles me.

Guest firetotheworks

So he was dropped then?Thats ridculous

Kinnear:

"I spoke to him before the game because he had been looking leggy and tired in training."

"He had had treatment, so Damien Duff and N'Zogbia just shaded it and played."

Guest toonlass

What a contrast of attitudes compared to N'Zogbia:

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/01/09/guti-rrez-will-battle-it-out-61634-22650438/

JONÁS Gutiérrez did not sign up for a relegation fight, but he has pledged to throw himself into the battle for top-flight survival which threatens to dominate Newcastle United’s New Year ambitions.

Gutiérrez opted for Newcastle over the summer after being sold on a vision of the club as a potential force with a team capable of competing for European qualification – but the reality has proved somewhat different.

In his relatively short spell on Tyneside, Gutiérrez has worked under three managers and seen Tony Jimenez, the driving force behind his move to England, leave the club.

Gutiérrez believes there is enough talent in the Newcastle squad to prevent relegation, but it has not dampened his enthusiasm for his new club.

“I am surprised at where the club is, I must admit. But it does not change things – I want to stay at the club for very many years,” he said.

“As a team we have to be better in the second part of the season. It is not acceptable for a team with so many good players to be down near the bottom.

“But in some matches we have not had a lot of luck and that has cost us a lot of points this season.

“Without that, we would be doing better but that is football. It is not always the best team that wins the match.

“It is difficult with the injuries that we have. We knew when we started the season that we don’t have too many players and we have a small squad, though. We need those players to come back for us to move away from the bottom of the table.”

Gutiérrez has not been immune to the curse of St James’s Park, his form having slipped slightly since a flying start to life at United.

A relegation battle is hardly the ideal backdrop for a winger to flex his attacking muscle and so it has proved for the Argentina winger.

Memories of his superb debut were evoked by a sterling second-half performance at Hull last weekend and Gutiérrez believes that he will improve during the second half of the season.

“I think I will improve because I feel more settled, I feel fit and strong and I am used to how English football is played now,” he said. “I love English football. I was desperate to join Newcastle to play in the Premier League because I like this league very much and I have enjoyed it.”

Despite the turmoil, Gutiérrez has settled well at St James’s Park. And he was suitably impressed by the way supporters reacted to Shay Given before the FA Cup third round tie with Hull.

That is likely to be replicated at St James’s Park tomorrow when the Republic of Ireland goalkeeper steps out for his first home game since making his disillusionment with the club known.

“He handled things very well against Hull and deserved the fans to cheer for him. It was important for him for the supporters to cheer for him,” Gutiérrez said. “The supporters are always with us. We will try to give them the win they deserve.”

:clap: Great attitude from the lad

What I like about Jonas and Martins (both are regulars at saying the right things) making these kinds of comments, is that when they're on the pitch, it actually looks like they care. It's far too easy for a player to say that he's happy here, but then not being able to back it up on the pitch.

What I like about Jonas and Martins (both are regulars at saying the right things) making these kinds of comments, is that when they're on the pitch, it actually looks like they care. It's far too easy for a player to say that he's happy here, but then not being able to back it up on the pitch.

and Beye.

Guest Jawesome

and Beye.

I remember the pre season friendly against Valencia when Beye went in hard on their winger, and the fella shat himself.  Beye is awesome.

and Beye.

Aye.

and Beye.

Aye.

And Owen.

Oh wait...

I don't think Martins looks like he cares on the pitch. He used to, when he first came but now he just doesn't looked that fussed or bothered, despite stomping off every time he gets subbed.

It's Jonas, Beye and Given for me.

So he was dropped then?Thats ridculous

Kinnear:

"I spoke to him before the game because he had been looking leggy and tired in training."

"He had had treatment, so Damien Duff and N'Zogbia just shaded it and played."

Cheers mate,that makes more sense