Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/gen/20090818/53767719538/noticia/operacion-lateral.html

His name is mentioned at the bottom of that article about possible Barcelona targets.

They can have him for £30m and Messi in return.

people would just moan about messi being a s*** crosser

If Messi had a monumental flaw in his game, he wouldn't be as good as he is. I can't see why people complaining about a winger being unable to score or cross is seen as moaning? It's critical...!

Messi's crossing is actually pretty poor for a player of his calibre.

tbh, South American players aren't brought up in the way British players are....their game is more playing on the deck, quick short passes etc.....not the British traditional winger culture so to speak of sticking to the wing, getting to the byline and putting in high crosses.

When Milner was here and did that, people just bitched about him being slow and unable to dribble past defenders well.

It was more to do with his crosses not actually reaching anyone or not beating that the first man.

Ok well he is good enough for Capello

Eh? So that means his crossing or his form in general wasn't poor overall for us?

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/gen/20090818/53767719538/noticia/operacion-lateral.html

His name is mentioned at the bottom of that article about possible Barcelona targets.

If Messi had a monumental flaw in his game, he wouldn't be as good as he is. I can't see why people complaining about a winger being unable to score or cross is seen as moaning? It's critical...!

tbh, South American players aren't brought up in the way British players are....their game is more playing on the deck, quick short passes etc.....not the British traditional winger culture so to speak of sticking to the wing, getting to the byline and putting in high crosses.

When Milner was here and did that, people just bitched about him being slow and unable to dribble past defenders well.

It was more to do with his crosses not actually reaching anyone or not beating that the first man.

Let's see what he produces in a competitive match first. Has he really made that much difference to Villa's side since he went ther?

Guest ObaStar

Eh? So that means his crossing or his form wasn't poor overall for us?

My point is people here bitch about our players no matter how good or bad they are. If you listen to some people, you would think Milner isn't good enough to play in League One. Its the same with Gutierrez. People here obviously think they know more about football than Maradona. The idea that we can just sell any player we don't like at a particular moment and find an adequate or better replacement is mental.

Eh? So that means his crossing or his form wasn't poor overall for us?

My point is people here bitch about our players no matter how good or bad they are. If you listen to some people, you would think Milner isn't good enough to play in League One. Its the same with Gutierrez. People here obviously think they know more about football than Maradona. The idea that we can just sell any player we don't like at a particular moment and find an adequate or better replacement is mental.

As we pay a fortune to watch these players each season (and contribute to their over-inflated wages), we have the right to form an opinion on them. No matter how rightly or wrongly that opinion may be.

FWIW with the price we sold Milner for I'm sure we could have found someone to do a better job than he did for us. The fact we never signed someone to replace him was the big mistake in selling Milner, as I'm sure most will agree at that time the price was far too good to turn down. Obviously hindsight is great but I'm sure if most thought we weren't going to replace him adequately then we would have wanted to keep hold of him. Despite his limited performances for us, as well as him being driven by money and handing in that transfer request.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Gutierrez told the Newcastle Journal today:

“We know that starting the season winning (games) is the most important thing because it is a difficult, harder and longer season,”

“The most important is the first three or four months because if you start well, you have a better opportunity of going up.”

“This club cannot be in the Championship, it has to be all the time in the Premier League, so we want to fly and get Newcastle back there next year.”

“I think the players want to be with Newcastle in the Premier League so we are all doing the best we can. That for the club is very important.”

“The crowd helps too, it is always like that, all the time. Last year when things were not really good, they stayed with us and now they want to be in the Premier League next year, so all the time they are with us and we know they give us a lot.”

“We have had bad times and we could lose more players but you have to think in the present, not of what is going to happen in one week or two weeks.”

“We know that we have not too many players in the squad, that it will be difficult if nobody comes, because the season is very long and we have a lot of matches. But you think now in the present and not in the future.”

Jonas continued:

“My friends don’t believe that Newcastle are in the second division,”

“It was going to be a difficult situation because I am very happy at Newcastle, but I want to play with my national team.”

“But Maradona told me that it was no problem. For me, that was important.”  “He said to take care, to do the things for my team.”

“It’s no problem that I have to play in the Championship, I’m going to be in the (Argentina) squad for the World Cup qualifiers.”

“That is the word from the manager, and it is encouraging.”

“Now I am very happy about that because for me to play in the national team is a dream.”

Journal

Fantastic news imo. His lack of end product is more than made up for by the way he occupies at least a couple of defenders at a time and his directness

Jonas seems happy to stay now. Doesn't mean too much though.

Are you a writer on that site by any chance ? Just seems strange the link posted is from nufcblog rather than the journal http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/08/21/gutierrez-magpies-set-to-fly-back-into-top-flight-61634-24495833/ where the article came from.

No! it was on newsnow in the last half an hour or so.

Jonas seems happy to stay now. Doesn't mean too much though.

Are you a writer on that site by any chance ? Just seems strange the link posted is from nufcblog rather than the journal http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/08/21/gutierrez-magpies-set-to-fly-back-into-top-flight-61634-24495833/ where the article came from.

No! it was on newsnow in the last half an hour or so.

Just checking just their links seem to be appearing more and more on this site that's all.

despite what has been said, i would be very surprised to see Maradona  pick Jonas for the national side when when hes playing in the fizzy pop league, especially the other amounts of alternatives Argentina have at their disposal playing at the top leagues

I'm amazed that he gets anywhere near the Argentina side. If he was Scottish he'd struggle to get into the Scotland squad!

I'd rather Geremi than Smith, Nolan or Butt. At least Geremi has an ounce of creativity

Geremi is just too slow - Nolan's not a bad player, we just need to get him fit.

He shouldn't be near the first team squad if he's not fit...and he clearly isn't.

Really hope he stays. He'd be vital in any promotion hopes, but even beyond that, it'd simply be nice to have at least one player playing in the 2010 World Cup. I'm sure his value would rocket if they did well too.

Guest Heneage

Read in the match day mag that Jonas is going to stay, an that Diego Maradonna will still consider him for the squad. Woo!

well thats maradonna on my i like that guy list much as i will criticise jonas for lack of end product he does draw defenders to him

Exactly, you can't have a team full of plodders with no attacking threat. Aye, Jonas hasn't scored many and a lot of his crosses are dodgy, but he commits defenders, hassles them and worries them. We need him in the team at the moment.

When we're back in the Champions League we can start looking around for better players... until then we need to hold onto the gangly one.

Guest neesy111

well thats maradonna on my i like that guy list much as i will criticise jonas for lack of end product he does draw defenders to him

Exactly, you can't have a team full of plodders with no attacking threat. Aye, Jonas hasn't scored many and a lot of his crosses are dodgy, but he commits defenders, hassles them and worries them. We need him in the team at the moment.

When we're back in the Champions League we can start looking around for better players... until then we need to hold onto the gangly one.

but he equally give's the ball back to the opposition due to his non-exisant end product