Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

as said Earlier the last time we got promotoed we tore into teams with wingers and goalscorers and Scott Sellars was way way better and more gifted than this waster of an argentinian will ever be..Come to that matter 99% of that promotion side are streets ahead of what we have now and that includes the likes of kelly,quinn,peacock,bracewell and clark

This is totally correct - the 92/93 side would easily destroy this lot. I would be surprised if they failed to score at least 3 times without reply. Sellars created far more danger than Jonas EVER will, and as for scoring goals, Rob Lee would make him look like an amateur. Kelly, Peacock and Andy Cole would have had a field day against the current side's defence.....

Nolan this season will outscore Lee from that season.

Who played LW most of that season anyway? Didn't sign Sellars until later on. Can't think.

IF Nolan outscores Lee from that season(and its a big if), it will be because of 2 things ;

1.The current league is crap compared to the 92/93 League

2. Nolan has been in the side since AUGUST - Lee didn't join the club until late October 92.

You are surely not trying to put Nolan in the same category as Lee are you ?

If so, then either your memory is very short, or you can tell the rest of us what it is you are drinking - must be a new brew and very strong....!

As for the wing, we had Sheedy on the left and Franz Carr on the right for most of the early games and even Carr was more effective than Jonas..

Sheedy was at the end of his career, which is why KK signed Sellars.

Course I'm not, just picking up on the goalscoring midfielder comment.

And I completely disagree on the Championship being weaker than Division One back then.

You are entitled to your opinion  but I disagree - the last 15 years have led to the syndrome of the cream rising to the top even MORE than it did back then because the Prem has become more powerful and wealthy ; there are NO good teams in this years' Championship and that INCLUDES NUFC.

If any of the CCC sides currently in the promotion positions go up, they will be relegated unless they have massive surgery to their sides and most can't afford it.

Back in 93, KK added just a couple of players to his promotion side and finished 3rd ; I say again, they were STREETS ahead of this or any other CCC side today .

That argument is nonsense, if the prem is more powerful, it becomes more attractive to be in because of the money, making the entry division even more competitive. Thats basic economics.

There is sense in saying that the relative difference between the leagues has got wider because of the increased money to the top league.  That relative difference has been caused by the influx of the best players in the world into the top clubs, this doesnt affect the standard of championship football.

Further, newly promoted clubs are doing better at staying in the top flight, with last year this being the case particularly. Financial lessons have been learnt etc.

Also, fitness has moved on to such an extent that time on the ball has reduced massively, the pace of the game has increased dramatically making any meaningful comparison of the abilities of players across nearly 20 years as utterly redundant. Most players look better when given space and time on the ball.

For a few of our players back then, you could argue that if they were plying their trade in the modern game, they'd be better than the current squad members. Then again, we never saw them with less time on the ball, playing more organised teams, so in reality its hard to tell.

Just an aside on that point about less time on the ball, the best sides in the Prem still seem able to keep possession despite having less time on the ball. Teams like Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal knock the ball around quite nicely even under pressure. Obviously they've paid for the quality but the best teams still play football which is easy on the eye albeit at a quicker pace.

I'm on holiday and looking at this on my  phone but just in case Jonas - CURRENT ARGENTINA INTERNATIONAL - is getting no support from anyone, can I please just take issue with the comment that Franz Carr was a more effective player than him..... Please.....

I'm on holiday and looking at this on my  phone but just in case Jonas - CURRENT ARGENTINA INTERNATIONAL - is getting no support from anyone, can I please just take issue with the comment that Franz Carr was a more effective player than him..... Please.....

Means nothing to me - I only care about what people do in a Newcastle shirt although I'd say Argentina seem "shit" to me at the moment.

Carr was pretty shit but he made a few goals - an anarchic concept for a winger I know but still.

have to agree on the stephen glass comment myself infact theres lots of left sided players we have had in the last 17 years that completely outshine jonas

Ginola,Sellars,Glass,Robert,Nzogbia,Milner hell id even say wayne f***ing fereday

Yep, sure they'd all be picked ahead of Jonas for Argentina, if eligible...This is strating to remind me of the vilification of Scott Parker, how to give so much stick to a good (with faults, like all f.....g players) player who gives his all that eventually they can't wait to get away.

Saw him at SJP today for a Junior Magpies autograph session (my brother's the member!!).........the room was silent except for Jonas, Colo and Enrique carrying on in the corner. I said "gracias", jonas did a goofy laugh and all of a sudden - everything seemed alright with the world. WHAT A GUY!!!  :smitten: :smitten:

AS Roma are interested in the services of Newcastle United's Argentine wing-back, Jonas Guitierrez.

Guiterrez's time in England has been a depressing one since his move from Mallorca.

He had to endure a tough first season which saw the Magpies relegated to the Championship but the speedy defender managed to keep his place in the Argentine national squad despite playing in a lower division.

Claudio Ranieri will attempt to take the defender to Italy in the January transfer window according to TMW.

Ranieri may have to add swiftly as Spanish giants, Barcelona are also tracking the player.

http://www.espnstar.com/football/serie-a/news/detail/item343750/Roma-keen-on-Magpie-Jonas/

Guest toonlass

AS Roma are interested in the services of Newcastle United's Argentine wing-back, Jonas Guitierrez.

Guiterrez's time in England has been a depressing one since his move from Mallorca.

He had to endure a tough first season which saw the Magpies relegated to the Championship but the speedy defender managed to keep his place in the Argentine national squad despite playing in a lower division.

Claudio Ranieri will attempt to take the defender to Italy in the January transfer window according to TMW.

Ranieri may have to add swiftly as Spanish giants, Barcelona are also tracking the player.

http://www.espnstar.com/football/serie-a/news/detail/item343750/Roma-keen-on-Magpie-Jonas/

:morph:

as said Earlier the last time we got promotoed we tore into teams with wingers and goalscorers and Scott Sellars was way way better and more gifted than this waster of an argentinian will ever be..Come to that matter 99% of that promotion side are streets ahead of what we have now and that includes the likes of kelly,quinn,peacock,bracewell and clark

This is totally correct - the 92/93 side would easily destroy this lot. I would be surprised if they failed to score at least 3 times without reply. Sellars created far more danger than Jonas EVER will, and as for scoring goals, Rob Lee would make him look like an amateur. Kelly, Peacock and Andy Cole would have had a field day against the current side's defence.....

Nolan this season will outscore Lee from that season.

Who played LW most of that season anyway? Didn't sign Sellars until later on. Can't think.

IF Nolan outscores Lee from that season(and its a big if), it will be because of 2 things ;

1.The current league is crap compared to the 92/93 League

2. Nolan has been in the side since AUGUST - Lee didn't join the club until late October 92.

You are surely not trying to put Nolan in the same category as Lee are you ?

If so, then either your memory is very short, or you can tell the rest of us what it is you are drinking - must be a new brew and very strong....!

As for the wing, we had Sheedy on the left and Franz Carr on the right for most of the early games and even Carr was more effective than Jonas..

Sheedy was at the end of his career, which is why KK signed Sellars.

Course I'm not, just picking up on the goalscoring midfielder comment.

And I completely disagree on the Championship being weaker than Division One back then.

You are entitled to your opinion  but I disagree - the last 15 years have led to the syndrome of the cream rising to the top even MORE than it did back then because the Prem has become more powerful and wealthy ; there are NO good teams in this years' Championship and that INCLUDES NUFC.

If any of the CCC sides currently in the promotion positions go up, they will be relegated unless they have massive surgery to their sides and most can't afford it.

Back in 93, KK added just a couple of players to his promotion side and finished 3rd ; I say again, they were STREETS ahead of this or any other CCC side today .

That argument is nonsense, if the prem is more powerful, it becomes more attractive to be in because of the money, making the entry division even more competitive. Thats basic economics.

There is sense in saying that the relative difference between the leagues has got wider because of the increased money to the top league.  That relative difference has been caused by the influx of the best players in the world into the top clubs, this doesnt affect the standard of championship football.

Further, newly promoted clubs are doing better at staying in the top flight, with last year this being the case particularly. Financial lessons have been learnt etc.

Also, fitness has moved on to such an extent that time on the ball has reduced massively, the pace of the game has increased dramatically making any meaningful comparison of the abilities of players across nearly 20 years as utterly redundant. Most players look better when given space and time on the ball.

For a few of our players back then, you could argue that if they were plying their trade in the modern game, they'd be better than the current squad members. Then again, we never saw them with less time on the ball, playing more organised teams, so in reality its hard to tell.

As with most aspects of life, some things have got better, some worse and I totally disagree with your assessment about players' fitness etc. Apart from anything else(and I was around to see this) the England side of 1970 in Mexico had to play Brazil at mid-day at Guadalajara in temps around 40C - but they controlled large parts of the game and gave the Brazilians their hardest match of the tournament - and Brazil 1970 were probably the best Brazilian side of all time.

Compare this to the lacklustre efforts of the 2004 side in Portugal, playing at night against the host nation, losing after being outplayed in extra time ; their much-vaunted 'iconic' Captain was no inspiration either, just as he flopped badly in the WC against Brazil 2 years earlier....

Also, in 1970, W.Germany and Italy played a titanic game which went into extra time, and Beckenbauer was even playing with his arm in a sling yet both sides were still giving a fast, high level performance right to the end..

Your argument about players being much fitter etc nowadays is fatuous and used by many so-called exponents of the modern game to try to justify the ridiculous wages the players receive.

Are you seriously saying that the current NUFC side would beat the 1950s FA Cup winning teams ?

That the likes of Milburn(renowned for his terrific speed and power of shot), Mitchell(who once caused his Arsenal full-back opponent to be taken from the field after injuring himself in a vain effort to tackle him)

George Robledo(whose scoring record was only equalled in 1994 by Andy Cole)or Jimmy Scoular would not have  had enough up their sleeves to murder this lot ?

There may be more RUNNING done now by players, but the basic skills have declined markedly ; also, FIFA have intervened so much in the physical contact side of the game that modern players would cry like babies if they had been on the end of a tackle from the likes of Scoular and Harvey - in fact, they couldn't even handle the likes of Norman Hunter or Tommy Smith from the 70s......

Also, we haven't even touched on the distractions that modern players fall foul of because of their crazy wages........

As with everything else, you are entitled to your opinion but I totally disagree with part of your post and definitely with the theory about KKs 1993/4 side not finishing in the top half.

History didn't begin in 1997, despite the powers-that-be wishing it did - Newspeak is alive & well....

The chances of him being here beyond january are slim, I'm sure his replacement (stop laughing) will be decent though

If we get a half decent fee for him there won't be many complaints.

Depends on who replaces him

The chances of him being here beyond january are slim, I'm sure his replacement (stop laughing) will be decent though

There will be if the money disappears like it did with the Milner and N'Zogbia sales.

There will be if the money disappears like it did with the Milner and N'Zogbia sales.

Milner was bought in instalments by villa, I wouldn't be so sure the rest of the players who have left have not gone in the same way.

Milner was bought in instalments by villa, I wouldn't be so sure the rest of the players who have left have not gone in the same way.

Fair point if true.

But even so, selling Jonas for a decent fee isn't worthwhile if that money isn't reinvested in the team. He may be a flawed and frustrating player, but he still has some good strengths which adds important attributes to the team, and getting rid for money we'll not be spending on a replacement is most likely going to be something that hurts the team, in the same vein as the Milner and Zog sales.

Jonas to Barcelona‽ I don't particularly dislike any of them (well maybe Owen), but if Oba, Jonas, and Owen end up at the German, Spanish, and English champions respectively, I won't be all that happy. :lol:

barcelona, id heard they had money problems but come on surely they could afford better

Guest Rob 1988

Gutierrez linked with Toon exit - Sky Sports

Newcastle midfielder Jonas Gutierrez could be set to leave St James' Park during the January transfer window.

The Argentina international remained with the relegated Magpies over the summer as a host of big-name players moved on from the North East.

Michael Owen, Obafemi Martins, Damien Duff and Sebastian Bassong all sought pastures new as Newcastle dropped down in to the Championship.

And although Gutierrez remained and has been a regular for Chris Hughton's side as they target an immediate return to the top-flight, he could not be set to move on for pastures new.

Interested

His agent, Pedro Jimenez-Bravo, is quoted by The People as saying: "We know European clubs are interested.

"We have held meetings with Newcastle but there is an option for the player to leave - although it must be a good offer."

The 26-year-old moved to St James' Park from Real Mallorca in July 2008 and is still to find the net in 43 games on Tyneside.

Italian giants Roma are reported to be leading the race for his services

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_5667467,00.html