Sir Bobby Robson Tells Director "Wise Must Go"

Gallowgate End

If we limit our pool to Geordies or those with an affiliation with the club, then there's only so many Geordies or players who have played for us. We'll be fucked if this mentality dominates.

Say only 10% or so of managers are successful, if we limit our pool, we'll need to be lucky to find that group from our limited pool. On the other hand, if we look for those with a good mentality, experienced, highly-rated etc. etc., we'll be fine.

Nobody is asking to limit our pool to just Geordies.

Nationality shouldn't be an issue. KK was successful because he's a good manager. He only failed with England but everywhere else, he was successful. Same story with Sir Bob, who was actually more successful at other clubs (Ipswich and PSV).

What about Roeder then, if you're so into people who have an affiliation with a club? His reign was an utter disaster and his team's style of play was eerily reminiscent of Souness'.

Get a good manager in and we'll be ok.

It is you who his holding "Nationality" against people with your remarks like 'hometown favourite' & 'prodigal son. You make it sound the like the club has never appointed anyone from afar. As for Roeder he got his job on the back of keeping us, should never of been given the job full time but there you go. You seem to have a real bee in your bonnet about the local thing regarding Keegan & the future, maybe that is the difference between a Geordie & Newcastle United fan, I personally used to think they were the same, maybe I was wrong.

Nationality shouldn't be an issue. KK was successful because he's a good manager. He only failed with England but everywhere else, he was successful. Same story with Sir Bob, who was actually more successful at other clubs (Ipswich and PSV).

What about Roeder then, if you're so into people who have an affiliation with a club? His reign was an utter disaster and his team's style of play was eerily reminiscent of Souness'.

It is you who his holding "Nationality" against people with your remarks like 'hometown favourite' & 'prodigal son. You make it sound the like the club has never appointed anyone from afar. As for Roeder he got his job on the back of keeping us, should never of been given the job full time but there you go. You seem to have a real bee in your bonnet about the local thing regarding Keegan & the future, maybe that is the difference between a Geordie & Newcastle United fan, I personally used to think they were the same, maybe I was wrong.

If I come across that way, then it's definitely not on purpose. I just hope the board are open-minded and assess each candidate based on their record. I want the club to be successful and if a Geordie fully merited the job (like Shearer may in the future if he's had experience), then I'd back him just the same as I've backed and will back any other manager of ours, Geordie or not.

It is you who his holding "Nationality" against people with your remarks like 'hometown favourite' & 'prodigal son. You make it sound the like the club has never appointed anyone from afar. As for Roeder he got his job on the back of keeping us up, should never of been given the job full time but there you go. You seem to have a real bee in your bonnet about the local thing regarding Keegan & the future, maybe that is the difference between a Geordie & Newcastle United fan, I personally used to think they were the same, maybe I was wrong.

If I come across that way, then it's definitely not on purpose. I just hope the board are open-minded and assess each candidate based on their record. I want the club to be successful and if a Geordie fully merited the job (like Shearer may in the future if he's had experience), then I'd back him just the same as I've backed and will back any other manager of ours, Geordie or not.

:thup:

Likewise, I want the best person for the job.

Anyway, I do find it rich coming from a man who personally appointed someone who brought him the likes of Fumaca, Kominelli, Cordone, Bonvin & Bassedas, and then moaned when he lost him to Southampton. I'd imagine Robson had the final say on those players he was given, and look how they turned out. The players Wise chose above Keegan's head will be a lot better, so an example that it doesn't always work out best for the manager to have the final say on deals for players he probably hasn't seen.

Anyway, I do find it rich coming from a man who personally appointed someone who brought him the likes of Fumaca, Kominelli, Cordone, Bonvin & Bassedas, and then moaned when he lost him to Southampton. I'd imagine Robson had the final say on those players he was given, and look how they turned out. The players Wise chose above Keegan's head will be a lot better, so an example that it doesn't always work out best for the manager to have the final say on deals for players he probably hasn't seen.

I find it even richer from a guy who by the end was having players bought over his head, and even then got sacked for finishing 5th. Even dafter is the notion of Freddie Shepherd proclaiming Keegan should be re-installed when he was the same Chairman who sacked Robson and appointed Souness.

I find it even richer from a guy who by the end was having players bought over his head, and even then got sacked for finishing 5th. Even dafter is the notion of Freddie Shepherd proclaiming Keegan should be re-installed when he was the same Chairman who sacked Robson and appointed Souness.

how is any of that 'rich'?

first of all, Robson's success despite his hit and miss transfer strategy shows that when you have a good boss you have to back him despite errors in the transfer market. you don't get rid of someone cos you disagree with one or two of their transfer targets. the overall record they should be rated on is how well the first team performs and Robson did brilliantly. a good scouting team alone will not run a side for you (not that a good scouting team has to be at the expense of a good manager). it's like demolishing a house cos you have a nice pair of windows that don't fit the current architectural blueprints, only to be left without a house to fit them into.

secondly, Robson knows first hand what it is like to be undermined from above on first team matters, and how destructive it can be for a side, so speaks from experience. He tried to work through the conditions and influence the club from within, whereas Keegan, a more explosive character, tried to use high-stakes brinkmanship to effect change. both these strategies failed as those in positions of power didn't want to relinquish that power, for various reasons. The first situation led to a decline we've yet to rise from, and the 2nd situation has left us in the shit.

what i do find 'rich' is the same people who criticised Shepherd for interfering in first team matters are somewhat sympathetic towards Ashley for doing the same. i find them both guilty of the same thing, effectively, and these actions have taken us into dramatic decline both times.

first of all, Robson's success despite his hit and miss transfer strategy shows that when you have a good boss you have to back him despite errors in the transfer market. you don't get rid of someone cos you disagree with one or two of their transfer targets. the overall record they should be rated on is how well the first team performs and Robson did brilliantly. a good scouting team alone will not run a side for you (not that a good scouting team has to be at the expense of a good manager). it's like demolishing a house cos you have a nice pair of windows that don't fit the current architectural blueprints, only to be left without a house to fit them into.

secondly, Robson knows first hand what it is like to be undermined from above on first team matters, and how destructive it can be for a side, so speaks from experience. He tried to work through the conditions and influence the club from within, whereas Keegan, a more explosive character, tried to use high-stakes brinkmanship to effect change. both these strategies failed as those in positions of power didn't want to relinquish that power, for various reasons. The first situation led to a decline we've yet to rise from, and the 2nd situation has left us in the shit.

what i do find 'rich' is the same people who criticised Shepherd for interfering in first team matters are somewhat sympathetic towards Ashley for doing the same. i find them both guilty of the same thing, effectively, and these actions have taken us into dramatic decline both times.

Aye aye, cap'n.

"How can you sack Sir Bobby? You just can't..."

"Sacking Sir Bobby was the hardest thing I've ever done..."

Aye aye, cap'n.

"How can you sack Sir Bobby? You just can't..."

"Sacking Sir Bobby was the hardest thing I've ever done..."

shepherd was fucking disgrace mind, i find it sad that people forget this shit so easily...ignoring all the financial "back the manager" bullshit he was a shockingly amateur figurehead for the club and frankly an embarrassment to the region sometimes