Sir Bobby Robson Tells Director "Wise Must Go"

Gallowgate End

Mike Ashley normally sits four rows away from me at St James' Park. When I arrived for yesterday's game with Hull City, I looked around to see if I could spot him, but there was only an empty seat.

He missed quite a depressing afternoon, I have to say. The fans made their protests outside the ground but inside the stadium they restricted their disapproval to chanting for Kevin Keegan and unfurling a few banners, like the one that read 'Cockney Mafia out'.

I'm pleased to say there was no boycott, disruption of the game or violence. In fact, I think the fans were desperate to show their support for the team.

Unfortunately though, the team aren't good enough to respond. It wasn't as though they didn't try, but they lack quality. And that is the most depressing thing of all for Newcastle fans.

Like all Newcastle supporters, I'm deeply concerned about how the club has appeared to slide over the past few years, and things seem to be worse now than ever.

But I didn't even think about boycotting yesterday's game. I wanted to show my support for the players in black and white out on the park.

After the game I sought out the Newcastle hierarchy, particularly the managing director Derek Llambias, to try to give him advice about what needs to be done to turn things around, to get rid of the depression, sadness and nervousness that I felt all around me yesterday among the players and supporters.

I understand why the fans chanted Kevin Keegan's name. It is because they love him. And they can't establish any facts about his situation. Has Keegan fallen out with the owner? Is their relationship beyond repair? The absolute priority for Newcastle now is to appoint a first-class manager, right away.

If it's not Keegan coming back, the club have to move on quickly. And a first-class manager will only work if he can determine what he wants and the club back his decisions. If the owner is the most important person at a club, the manager must be the secondmost important. And they have to work hand in hand.

I think Dennis Wise will never be accepted here and he has to realise that. While Dennis is running things from the south, you have to ask if the structure is correct- and it is something I was happy to ask Mr Llambias directly. My view, and again I was happy to pass it on to the managing director, is that they need to appoint a Geordie manager, and someone with Premier League experience. That person can work with a director of football, as long as it's a director of football who will try to work on what the manager wants.

It might be fine for Tottenham to appoint someone like Juande Ramos but Geordies would not accept seeing the manager of their football club have to do television interviews with the help of a translator or to have an assistant speak for him because his own English isn't good enough.

I've made no secret of saying in the past that Steve Bruce, for example, would make an ideal Newcastle United manager. He knows the area, knows the club, and has learned the trade at clubs like Birmingham and Wigan, which has been a great education for taking on a bigger club.

I don't know if Steve would want the job at the moment but the least Newcastle can do is create the atmosphere so that a fine, up-and-coming manager - and a Geordie one - would jump at the chance.

At the moment, everything surrounding Newcastle would put first-class managers off. It has to change, and fast.

:clap:

I've made no secret of saying in the past that Steve Bruce, for example, would make an ideal Newcastle United manager. He knows the area, knows the club, and has learned the trade at clubs like Birmingham and Wigan, which has been a great education for taking on a bigger club.

Have to say, 3-4 years ago I'd have been laughing at this suggestion, but what he's done, and the team he's building at Wigan, is brilliant. Probably in the minority still, but I'd take him now.

SBR is right that any first class manager wouldn't touch us with barge poll. Unfortunately that will leave us only with an up and coming manager option only

Have to say, 3-4 years ago I'd have been laughing at this suggestion, but what he's done, and the team he's building at Wigan, is brilliant. Probably in the minority still, but I'd take him now.

i'm of exactly the same opinion

i dont think bobby thinks that only a geordie can manage newcastle, after all he recommended Terim last time round. i think he is talking about this specific situation, fans are so disgruntled and confused about the whole setup, that a local person who knows what nufc and the area is about would help allay their fears.

i'm of exactly the same opinion

i dont think bobby thinks that only a geordie can manage newcastle, after all he recommended Terim last time round. i think he is talking about this specific situation, fans are so disgruntled and confused about the whole setup, that a local person who knows what nufc and the area is about would help allay their fears.

Unfortunately though, I think the vast majority will still have the same "plastic Geordie" b*llock of an opinion of Bruce.

I'd be seriously pissed off if any manager comes in and gets control over transfers.

That'd be a pisstake of massive proportions. I mean, that's not even me being a Keegan-lover. The previous manager has left cos of that reason, and then to give license to the incoming man would be a joke.

See what you mean there, but I'd imagine Ashley is trying to get Keegan back under those pretences now...no way would he be having talks with him just to give him the same role he's walked away from.

If the next manager gets full control, I'd say it's more to do with Ashley realising that perhaps the set-up isn't what's needed, and is willing to admit that the manager should have full control...and I think he wants that man to be Keegan.

Does the result mean anything to Ashley and his approach and future plans towards this bollocks situation?

Does he now look and go, well, the weakest team on paper in the league just dominated us at home, a: KK was right, were shite and need better players, b: KK is about the only person short term to be able to get anything out of this shower of shite, or is it a one off and we'll beat WHAM away.  bluelaugh.gif Yeah... :weep:

See what you mean there, but I'd imagine Ashley is trying to get Keegan back under those pretences now...no way would he be having talks with him just to give him the same role he's walked away from.

If the next manager gets full control, I'd say it's more to do with Ashley realising that perhaps the set-up isn't what's needed, and is willing to admit that the manager should have full control...and I think he wants that man to be Keegan.

If that is the case then Keegan will be back, I have little doubt about that unless something major has happened between Keegan and somebody else.

That or just sticking two fingers up at Keegan for walking away!

It doesn't need to be a Geordie manager, it needs to be a good manager. Where they come from should be at the very bottom of the list of requirements.

True. But only someone with a love for the club or not a care for their career will come anywhere near us now.

as long as he dosen't bring bramble with him.

nah seriously though, the thought of Bruce is not disgusting me as it used to.

he can bring Valencia, Palacios, Zaki with him too......doubt he would have a say though ;)

Cracking buys by Bruce for those 3 players and bought for next to nowt :thup: