So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

I think you and others similar are living in dreamland and if you think people want anything different to any other football fan throughout the country they you're wrong, people want a successful football team and don't care who's in charge, the only thing Keegan would get is time but judging by attendances at the beginning of the season that wouldn't last long.

How would he do with a top 4 budget? He'd maybe push for 5th, that's not because he's a brilliant manager but because he's able to outspend the rest below him.

Ah now there's the real reason you don't want keegan back, you just want to win things!

I want to be entertained and watch good flowing football! If we win something along the way then whoopie but it's not the main reason why I pay my money.

We did have a top four budget around the time Sir Les and Shearer were signed and that time we nearly won the title, and should have done. So I think if he had the money of Man u or Chelsea we would be right up there again, but his judgment needs to be backed but it wasn't and you are seriously blaming him for that?

You are the one living in a dreamworld if you think a turkish Terry Venables or The garlic dwarf would make such a huge difference!

I don't really care what football we play as long as it's winning football and some of the football under Keegan this time has been pretty dire, I think most football fans will think the same.

We were the biggest spenders in the country when Ferdinand and Shearer were here btw but that is a completely different era, if we're going to be spending money similar to Chelsea then the owners will want more than entertaining football that's for sure and will get a better manager to achieve that, these South African's don't look like they've got that sort of money so it doesn't matter anyway.

I'll not bother with your comments about Deschamps or Terim because they're not worth commenting on.

This is what we all want, but you need to face facts! Keegans 1 player was Guthrie and he even said he was one for the future so hardly a 1st teamer in his eye's! I think Keegan expected as did we all that his targets would be followed through but they were totally ignored.  Ok we got a couple of quality players in Colo and Jonas but the rest are no better than what we already have.

The bulk of our current squad has seen many managers come and go and not one of them could get anymore out of them than what we are currently seeing, with the exception of Keegan of course.

Look towards the back end of last season and the beginning of this he got that piss poor excuse for a squad playing something half decent and yet only one player he has brought in himself.

I would be agreeing with you if he'd brought in 6-7 players he'd chosen but he wasn't allowed, and the main reason why he left.

Who were Keegan's target that would have been so much better than we brought in? The only realistic players we were linked with that I would have said were Keegan's were Anton Ferdinand, Warnock and Sidwell, hardly better than what we've got are they? It seems the perfect excuse for Keegan that he takes all of the credit for the good times but doesn't get criticised for the bad times because it wasn't his squad.

I don't remember Keegan saying Guthrie was one for the future either, he only said that about Bassong iirc.

Btw the best football we've played in the last few years was at the end of the 2005/06 season when Roeder was caretaker.

I think you're missing the point Baggio. It doesn't matter what quality of player we brought in, or wether they are better or worse than Keegans targets. The point is, they weren't Keegans targets, and he's the only man who should've been buying/selling players, working within the allocated budget of course.

I don't think I'm missing the point at all, by him saying that apart from Jonas and Colo the rest were no better than what we've got he's insinuating that Keegan would have brought in better players, which is why I asked who we were realistically linked with who you would have thought was a Keegan signing that is better than what we've got.

FOR f***s SAKE GIVE UP ON KEEGAN LEAVE HIM THE f*** ALONE HE HAS NOT SAID A WORD SINCE HE LEFT OR EVEN APOLOGISED TO THE FANS FFS YOU ARE LIKE BATTERED WIVES!?!??!

Good, he hasn't spoken since he left. That keeps me hoping that he's waiting in the wings to return. If he doesn't want the job back, then why wouldn't he come out and say as much? He reads the papers/ watches tele linking him with a return, so why doesn't he quash any unfounded rumours? If they are unfounded of course. I may hold false hope, but still i hope.

If there was a queue of decent managers wanting the job, then i may think we should appoint one. It doesn't seem like there is, so for me, you simply have to offer him the job back.

FOR f***s SAKE GIVE UP ON KEEGAN LEAVE HIM THE f*** ALONE HE HAS NOT SAID A WORD SINCE HE LEFT OR EVEN APOLOGISED TO THE FANS FFS YOU ARE LIKE BATTERED WIVES!?!??!

Good, he hasn't spoken since he left. That keeps me hoping that he's waiting in the wings to return. If he doesn't want the job back, then why wouldn't he come out and say as much? He reads the papers/ watches tele linking him with a return, so why doesn't he quash any unfounded rumours? If they are unfounded of course. I may hold false hope, but still i hope.

If there was a queue of decent managers wanting the job, then i may think we should appoint one. It doesn't seem like there is, so for me, you simply have to offer him the job back.

nobody will be appointed permanently till any takeover is complete. if the new owners want keegan then so be it.

I think you and others similar are living in dreamland and if you think people want anything different to any other football fan throughout the country they you're wrong, people want a successful football team and don't care who's in charge, the only thing Keegan would get is time but judging by attendances at the beginning of the season that wouldn't last long.

How would he do with a top 4 budget? He'd maybe push for 5th, that's not because he's a brilliant manager but because he's able to outspend the rest below him.

Ah now there's the real reason you don't want keegan back, you just want to win things!

I want to be entertained and watch good flowing football! If we win something along the way then whoopie but it's not the main reason why I pay my money.

We did have a top four budget around the time Sir Les and Shearer were signed and that time we nearly won the title, and should have done. So I think if he had the money of Man u or Chelsea we would be right up there again, but his judgment needs to be backed but it wasn't and you are seriously blaming him for that?

You are the one living in a dreamworld if you think a turkish Terry Venables or The garlic dwarf would make such a huge difference!

I don't really care what football we play as long as it's winning football and some of the football under Keegan this time has been pretty dire, I think most football fans will think the same.

We were the biggest spenders in the country when Ferdinand and Shearer were here btw but that is a completely different era, if we're going to be spending money similar to Chelsea then the owners will want more than entertaining football that's for sure and will get a better manager to achieve that, these South African's don't look like they've got that sort of money so it doesn't matter anyway.

I'll not bother with your comments about Deschamps or Terim because they're not worth commenting on.

This is what we all want, but you need to face facts! Keegans 1 player was Guthrie and he even said he was one for the future so hardly a 1st teamer in his eye's! I think Keegan expected as did we all that his targets would be followed through but they were totally ignored.  Ok we got a couple of quality players in Colo and Jonas but the rest are no better than what we already have.

The bulk of our current squad has seen many managers come and go and not one of them could get anymore out of them than what we are currently seeing, with the exception of Keegan of course.

Look towards the back end of last season and the beginning of this he got that piss poor excuse for a squad playing something half decent and yet only one player he has brought in himself.

I would be agreeing with you if he'd brought in 6-7 players he'd chosen but he wasn't allowed, and the main reason why he left.

Who were Keegan's target that would have been so much better than we brought in? The only realistic players we were linked with that I would have said were Keegan's were Anton Ferdinand, Warnock and Sidwell, hardly better than what we've got are they? It seems the perfect excuse for Keegan that he takes all of the credit for the good times but doesn't get criticised for the bad times because it wasn't his squad.

I don't remember Keegan saying Guthrie was one for the future either, he only said that about Bassong iirc.

Btw the best football we've played in the last few years was at the end of the 2005/06 season when Roeder was caretaker.

I think you're missing the point Baggio. It doesn't matter what quality of player we brought in, or wether they are better or worse than Keegans targets. The point is, they weren't Keegans targets, and he's the only man who should've been buying/selling players, working within the allocated budget of course.

I don't think I'm missing the point at all, by him saying that apart from Jonas and Colo the rest were no better than what we've got he's insinuating that Keegan would have brought in better players, which is why I asked who we were realistically linked with who you would have thought was a Keegan signing that is better than what we've got.

We don't know what sort of quality KK would've brought in, because he wasn't given the chance to bring his players in, alledgedly.

I don't think this Keegans signings versus anyone else signings debate should even take place. Nobody other than Keegan should've brought players here. I don't care if they were the standard of Pele/Maradona or whoever. They wouldn't have been signed by the manager and surely that's wrong?

Simon Clifford was on tv saying he was going to be the...Director of Football and he would be in charge of...youth development.

Hmm. Now where have we heard that before?

Oh fucking hell. Clifford would be worse than Wise.

One thing after another.

Why should Keegan respond to nonsensical articles anyway. Anything he say will be misconstrued by the Press and Public and it will only add fuel to the fire.

Besides, by not commenting publicly, he is also keeping his options open.

Not to mention there is the small matter of potential legal battle coming up with MA over compensation.

The BBC say Brian Joffe has denied being anything to do with the consortium too. :lol:

Its just totally bonkers now. Just when we think the story cant get any more crazy.

Next we will hear that in fact there was never really anyone in for us at all

The BBC say Brian Joffe has denied being anything to do with the consortium too. :lol:

Its just totally bonkers now. Just when we think the story cant get any more crazy.

I'm not sure that the three who've denied interest were ever confirmed as being part of the consortium in the first place

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2008/10/03/i-m-80-confident-of-the-toon-takeover-72703-21958010/

No names mentioned other than Clelland, maybe the rest aren't South African

Guest sicko2ndbest

Clifford in Keegan talks

South Africans want King Kev and Clifford

Last updated: 4th October 2008

Simon Clifford has confirmed to Sky Sports News that Kevin Keegan will return to the club if the South African consortium, he is involved with, takes control at St James' Park.

Clifford along with Jonathan Cleland, who is the Scottish-based businessman heading up the South African bid, met with Keegan earlier this week.

Lifelong Middlesbrough-fan Clifford, who enjoyed a brief stint as coach at Southampton under Clive Woodward's charge, would become director football at Newcastle if Cleland's group took charge.

Speaking to Sky Sports News, Clifford confirmed talks with Keegan had gone well.

"Our number one priority is to return Kevin to the club and we had a very good meeting on Monday," he told Sky Sports News.

"I know there are other consortiums looking at the club as it is a terribly attractive proposition and I am under no illusion that Kevin may speak to them also but we did have a mutual interest in working together."

Cleland confirmed on Friday he was heading up the South African led consortium, although the backers remain a mystery after leading businessmen Johann Rupert, Brian Joffe and Vivian Imerman all denied involvement.

Guest TinoInHiding

I'm not sure that the three who've denied interest were ever confirmed as being part of the consortium in the first place

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2008/10/03/i-m-80-confident-of-the-toon-takeover-72703-21958010/

It looks like the guy supposedly heading the South African consortium,  Jonathan Cleland, has been claiming that all these South African billionaires are part of it when they are clearly not.

I can only imagine that he was trying to get enough genuine investors into the consortium to actually buy the club, by reassuring them with the thought that some of South Africa's richest men were also in.

It looks, however, like that tactic has spectacularly backfired and I think we can discount the South Africans as realistic buyers

It looks like the guy supposedly heading the South African consortium,  Jonathan Cleland, has been claiming that all these South African billionaires are part of it when they are clearly not.

I can only imagine that he was trying to get enough genuine investors into the consortium to actually buy the club, by reassuring them with the thought that some of South Africa's richest men were also in.

It looks, however, like that tactic has spectacularly backfired and I think we can discount the South Africans as realistic buyers

'He wants to keep the identities and wealth of the men behind the deal secret to avoid being sucked into a bidding war. But those linked previously include prominent South African businessmen Vivian Imerman and Brian Joffe.'

'He wants to keep the identities and wealth of the men behind the deal secret to avoid being sucked into a bidding war. But those linked previously include prominent South African businessmen Vivian Imerman and Brian Joffe.'

linked by whom ? did he mention any names or did the press play their usual game ?

linked by whom ? did he mention any names or did the press play their usual game ?

As far as I'm aware he's mentioned no names and the press have just guessed, I might be wrong though

The new 'South Africans deny any interest' title isn't strictly true, given that Jonathan Cleland is confirming his involvement, and Clifford now seems to be confirming Cleland's genuine intentions.

Looks like Clelland and Clifford who are doing the ground work on this and the press are speculating that Imerman and Joffe are on board but they deny this so we can assume that there must be other investors or a massive wind up .This thing about coming to the city and visiting Shearers  bar etc seems a strange thing to do unless the had a meeting at the club and as the press were told by Clelland "to get a feel of the city and chat to Geordies " they were probably put off by the mongs hanging round outside who cannot string 2 syllables together.

Seymour Butts who are dealing with the bids will not let any info out so its press speculation all the way on this apart from alleged consortiums putting there names forward .

As far as I'm aware he's mentioned no names and the press have just guessed, I might be wrong though

Cleland's comments in this article suggest he was the one who told the press who was involved, although he's not quoted as naming them.

This is the article that broke the news about Cleland heading the consortium so he must of spoke to them first.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1066313/South-Africans-calling-Toon-Ashley-moves-step-closer-selling-up.html?ITO=1490

Guest Brazilianbob

I heard the SA consortium is backed by Robert Mugabe, seems he is trying to get a UK passport and is following the Mohammed Al Fyed example.

I heard the SA consortium is backed by Robert Mugabe, seems he is trying to get a UK passport and is following the Mohammed Al Fyed example.

You realise Mugabe isn't South African?

Shame, i already had a chant for him.

"He's black, he hates whites, he'll take your human rights, Mugabe, Mugabe"

You realise Mugabe isn't South African?

Shame, i already had a chant for him.

bluelaugh.gif

"He's black, he hates whites, he'll take your human rights, Mugabe, Mugabe"

Guest Chubby Jason

I heard Marlo Stanfield is gonna buy with the cash from his new property business, but are American owners the way to go?

I heard Marlo Stanfield is gonna buy with the cash from his new property business, but are American owners the way to go?

Could go horribly wrong tbh, like when Stringer Bell went legit.