So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

For f***s sake, why why why cant we employ a manager with pedigree? Why cant we just make a decision which isnt considered a gamble for the club and give it a bit of much needed stabiltiy, what is it with all this sentimental bullshit that surrounds the club?

For the record, i think Shearer will be a poor club manager, i think he's made for national management though - much like Klinsmann.

I know what you're saying, but then I look back at Dalglish, Souness and Allardyce

For the record, i think Shearer will be a poor club manager, i think he's made for national management though - much like Klinsmann.

Bayern are 3rd in the league & 3 points off top. There was a bit of turbulence at the start of the season but that was to be expected with him changing the way Bayern play also there best player was also broke.

For f***s sake, why why why cant we employ a manager with pedigree? Why cant we just make a decision which isnt considered a gamble for the club and give it a bit of much needed stabiltiy, what is it with all this sentimental bullshit that surrounds the club?

I know what you're saying, but then I look back at Dalglish, Souness and Allardyce

Id take Souness out of that group but honeslty speaking would say that an appointment like Alardyce or Dalglish would definitely have there merits, they did at the time (althouh i didnt want Allardyce) and would still be the type of appointment id be content with. Much more than i would be with an untested, unproven manager, with no experince in possilbyt the most difficult set of circumstances. Seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

Bayern are 3rd in the league & 3 points off top. There was a bit of turbulence at the start of the season but that was to be expected with him changing the way Bayern play also there best player was also broke.

3rd isnt good enough for Bayern and Im not saying that Klinsmann is a poor club manager, i dont know his personality well  enough to draw a good idea of what he's about but he was a good national manager becasue of his status, much like i think Shearer.

For Shearer i think he's build a pretty orthodox side, like Dalglish, would rather have personalities in the squad and the expense of ablilty . Its pretty well known that he hated flair and backed Souness as a manager showing that he didnt really evaluate what was more imporant for the club (and him) when Bellamy was booted form the club, and Robert to an extent.

Its the only thing i can use to judge him as a manager, what are you using to judge him as a manager?

3rd isnt good enough for Bayern and Im not saying that Klinsmann is a poor club manager, i dont know his personality well  enough to draw a good idea of what he's about but he was a good national manager becasue of his status, much like i think Shearer.

For Shearer i think he's build a pretty orthodox side, like Dalglish, would rather have personalities in the squad and the expense of ablilty . Its pretty well known that he hated flair and backed Souness as a manager showing that he didnt really evaluate what was more imporant for the club (and him) when Bellamy was booted form the club, and Robert to an extent.

Its the only thing i can use to judge him as a manager, what are you using to judge him as a manager?

It is November ffs. Bayern brought Klinsi in to get them playing the way German national team did & he is doing that. I will check the league placing at the end of the season.

I really dont know what Al will be like as a manager. But atm I am watching a Hull team play good football who are being bossed by a bloke who helped get Bolton play the way they did & was a robust lower league full back. So the stuff you mention about Shearer could be completely irrelevant. I watched West Ham on TV on Football First totally fucking boring & they are managed by a player who used to flair player.

Its pretty well known that he hated flair

Source?

HTT: He is not keen on tricks (if that is what flair is) that go nowhere. Legend has it & the source of the story was Tino via Gabriele Marcotti.  Ginola & Tino were doing tricks & they asked Al to take part & he said no, other players egged him on, he took the pair on & was much better than both of them. He then chucked the ball on floor & said " I would do it if there was a point to it" walked off.

It is November ffs. Bayern brought Klinsi in to get them playing the way German national team did & he is doing that. I will check the league placing at the end of the season.

I really dont know what Al will be like as a manager. But atm I am watching a Hull team play good football who are being bossed by a bloke who helped get Bolton play the way they did & was a robust lower league full back. So the stuff you mention about Shearer could be completely irrelevant. I watched West Ham on TV on Football First totally f***ing boring & they are managed by a player who used to flair player.

So if its only novemeber then why do you coplain about our predicamanet so much? You cant have your cake and eat it. Arsenal are close to being writ off for the title, why do you think that is?

Yeh you're are right - it could be irrelanvant - but its exactly what what basing my belief on - at the end of the day, there is always an exception to every thing in footbal - no guarantuees whatsoever, but i am basing my opinion in things ive seen him do which suggest a midset, i see no reason why it should change.

Bellamy/Robert scenario being aprime example - why would it all of a sudden be any different as a manager?

You can cite Phil Brown, I can cite Keegan or Dalglish, you're examples are as irrelavent as mine....

Guest sicko2ndbest

I am very heartened by the news about the north east business man, sceptical but heartened. I do not see Ashley as the anti-christ, but do think he has made errors in judgement in his short tenure.

I think Shearer would be an absolutely fantastic manager. For those who are saying he does not like flair, he is a centre forward who thrived on wing wizardry, of course he would like flair. He is disciplined, passionate, a leader and most importantly probably one of the countries all time greats (top premier league goalscorer of all time). Imagine if Shearer wanted you to sign for Newcastle, i dont care who you are young, old, play for AcMilan or Accrington Stanley it would take a hell of an offer to turn us down.

I know i am revisiting old ground when i say this, but he would be given time. It is a similar situation to Keane at the scum, but Shearer has a much stronger base to start from. Can you imagine teams rolling over us with Shearer in charge, no way, no chance, not gonna happen.

He is the man for the job, i have no doubt whatsoever in my mind, and i hope this story has legs!

Guest Heneage

Its been said a thoushand times but we need a guy in time for January to get some recruits and stability. Does anyone look like being close to buying?

I really dont know what Al will be like as a manager. But atm I am watching a Hull team play good football who are being bossed by a bloke who helped get Bolton play the way they did & was a robust lower league full back. So the stuff you mention about Shearer could be completely irrelevant. I watched West Ham on TV on Football First totally f***ing boring & they are managed by a player who used to flair player.

So if its only novemeber then why do you coplain about our predicamanet so much? You cant have your cake and eat it. Arsenal are close to being writ off for the title, why do you think that is?

Yeh you're are right - it could be irrelanvant - but its exactly what what basing my belief on - at the end of the day, there is always an exception to every thing in footbal - no guarantuees whatsoever, but i am basing my opinion in things ive seen him do which suggest a midset, i see no reason why it should change.

Bellamy/Robert scenario being aprime example - why would it all of a sudden be any different as a manager?

You can cite Phil Brown, I can cite Keegan or Dalglish, you're examples are as irrelavent as mine....

Because I care more about us being 4th bottom than Bayern being 3rd top of the Bundsliga in November. Forget the examples thing it f***ing boring if I am honest, I will go to my original answer of I don't know what Shearer will be like as a manager until he starts.

Guest Howaythetoon

Source?

HTT: He is not keen on tricks (if that is what flair is) that go nowhere. Legend has it & the source of the story was Tino via Gabriele Marcotti.  Ginola & Tino were doing tricks & they asked Al to take part & he said no, other players egged him on, he took the pair on & was much better than both of them. He then chucked the ball on floor & said " I would do it if there was a point to it" walked off.

I've heard the same story only with a different ending in that after showing them how its done he picked up a ball bag with balls and headed off to do his shooting practice, leaving Tino et al left standing in stunned silence.

Anyhow, even if indeed Shearer doesn't rate tricks very highly that isn't exactly hating flair is it? His NUFC, England, Premiership and World XIs were full of flair players IIRC while as a pundit he has repeatedly singled out flair or flair players for praise.

Its hard to say with any real certainty what kind of style or players Shearer prefers. KK wasn't considered a flamboyant player yet he can be considered a flamboyant manager.

I personally feel Shearer's experiences of the game and playing in different sides under different managers to varying degrees of success and failure would point to balance - a bit of flair and grit - which any good side needs really.

Character wise I think those who play for him would have to be mentally tough, honest, professional and passionate which may rule out some of your flair players but not all. Apparently Shearer enjoys watching Jonas and rates Coloccini highly, not exactly your cloggers of the world are they? Shearer also picked Henry and Pires many a time in his Premiership XIs and thinks the world of Wayne Rooney as a footballer, someone he was desperate to see join Newcastle. Whenever he commentates about England he emphasizes pace and wing play with creativity in the middle, citing Joe Cole, SWP as potential key players for the national team. Again not exactly players who lack flair.

Because I care more about us being 4th bottom than Bayern being 3rd top of the Bundsliga in November. Forget the examples thing it f***ing boring if I am honest, I will go to my original answer of I don't what Shearer will be like as a manager until he starts.

Why didnt you just say that in the first place??

Because I care more about us being 4th bottom than Bayern being 3rd top of the Bundsliga in November. Forget the examples thing it f***ing boring if I am honest, I will go to my original answer of I don't what Shearer will be like as a manager until he starts.

That should be "I don't know what Shearer will be like as a manager until he starts." & I did say "really dont know what Al will be like as a manager"

That should be "I don't know what Shearer will be like as a manager until he starts." & I did say "really dont know what Al will be like as a manager"

Funny, I didnt see that in your first post when you made your non point about Klinsmann. Just seemed geared towards saying i was wrong....

Source?

Heard that story before. Utter bollocks I'd imagine.

Guest Howaythetoon

You make it out as if Shearer had the final say on Bellamy and Robert when in reality he probably had fuck all say in the matter, other than to as club captain publicly back the manager/toe the party line which is actually the right thing and professional thing to do. Had he done the opposite he'd have been accused of thinking he was bigger than the club by many. Damned if he does - damned if he doesn't springs to mind.

And just because he classed Souness as a friend and backed him or stayed loyal to him doesn't mean he couldn't see what we all saw - that Souness was a shite manager or as manager was leading us nowhere.

That loyalty and standing up for someone under fierce pressure, someone who was universally regarded as shite, actually takes balls and speaks volumes about his own character. It also contradicts some of the things you're trying to portray him as.

We forget Shearer knew far more than we will ever ever get to know what went on at St. James' Park where Robert and Bellamy are concerned. I seem to remember after Robert's comments in the build-up to the Sporting match a few players post-match talked how such loose lips could undermine the team. No-one wants to see dissent when everyone is trying to work hard for one another and to fight for one another. As for Bellamy... its been done to death but he pretty much talked and acted his way to an early exit from Newcastle under Souness. It was inevitable with or without Shearer and again, it isn't like Shearer himself had the final say. The idea that Shearer was responsible for Bellamy's departure is fucking laughable :lol:

What strikes me in all of this is the continuous defence of Dyer by Shearer despite again him being universally hated by many on the stands, a repugnant character much like Bellamy and someone who like the Welshman brought many a negative headline to the club. Why did he defend him? Because he was someone that team needed in terms of his attributes and Shearer is on record as saying Dyer was a decent bloke underneath all the bad headlines who he liked.

That to me suggests Shearer has no real set ways with people as what could he and Dyer possibly have in common as people? Not a fucking lot put it that way. That's a good sign in terms of management because there are more Dyers in the game in terms of character than there are Shearers and he'll have to manage these players and people and successfully if he is to succeed as a manager.

I personally think he'll surprise us all, there is something about him and always has been that makes him stand out.

Guest Howaythetoon

Source?

Heard that story before. Utter bollocks I'd imagine.

Several former players who claim to have witnessed it swear by it so who knows, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest mind if indeed it was true despite like you thinking it to be utter bollocks.

Funny, I didnt see that in your first post when you made your non point about Klinsmann. Just seemed geared towards saying i was wrong....

Your not the sharpest poster on here so it no surprise you miss things from time to time :thup:

As great as he was at a lot of things, one thing I wouldn't credit Shearer with is having exceptional technique and the ability to out-trick Asprilla and Ginola especially - two of the most technically gifted players I've ever seen in the flesh.

I'd imagine it's an inside-joke, an urban legend or just a wind-up. Just from watching him play the hundreds of times like, I can't see it.

Would be smashing if it was true!

You make it out as if Shearer had the final say on Bellamy and Robert when in reality he probably had f*** all say in the matter, other than to as club captain publicly back the manager/toe the party line which is actually the right thing and professional thing to do. Had he done the opposite he'd have been accused of thinking he was bigger than the club by many. Damned if he does - damned if he doesn't springs to mind.

And just because he classed Souness as a friend and backed him or stayed loyal to him doesn't mean he couldn't see what we all saw - that Souness was a s**** manager or as manager was leading us nowhere.

That loyalty and standing up for someone under fierce pressure, someone who was universally regarded as s****, actually takes balls and speaks volumes about his own character. It also contradicts some of the things you're trying to portray him as.

We forget Shearer knew far more than we will ever ever get to know what went on at St. James' Park where Robert and Bellamy are concerned. I seem to remember after Robert's comments in the build-up to the Sporting match a few players post-match talked how such loose lips could undermine the team. No-one wants to see dissent when everyone is trying to work hard for one another and to fight for one another. As for Bellamy... its been done to death but he pretty much talked and acted his way to an early exit from Newcastle under Souness. It was inevitable with or without Shearer and again, it isn't like Shearer himself had the final say. The idea that Shearer was responsible for Bellamy's departure is f***ing laughable :lol:

What strikes me in all of this is the continuous defence of Dyer by Shearer despite again him being universally hated by many on the stands, a repugnant character much like Bellamy and someone who like the Welshman brought many a negative headline to the club. Why did he defend him? Because he was someone that team needed in terms of his attributes and Shearer is on record as saying Dyer was a decent bloke underneath all the bad headlines who he liked.

That to me suggests Shearer has no real set ways with people as what could he and Dyer possibly have in common as people? Not a f***ing lot put it that way. That's a good sign in terms of management because there are more Dyers in the game in terms of character than there are Shearers and he'll have to manage these players and people and successfully if he is to succeed as a manager.

I personally think he'll surprise us all, there is something about him and always has been that makes him stand out.

The bit in bold is where i stopped reading.

Your not the sharpest poster on here so it no surprise you miss things from time to time :thup:

What an ironic comment.

Just for clarification:

was your first post - i read that as an attack at my view that Shearer would make a poor club manager but a good national manager, you intimated that i implied that Klinsmann was a poor club manager which i wasnt.

:lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

As great as he was at a lot of things, one thing I wouldn't credit Shearer with is having exceptional technique and the ability to out-trick Asprilla and Ginola especially - two of the most technically gifted players I've ever seen in the flesh.

I'd imagine it's an inside-joke, an urban legend or just a wind-up. Just from watching him play the hundreds of times like, I can't see it.

Would be smashing if it was true!

I couldn't lace any fuckers boots but I can do the chop, stepovers, over 300 kick-ups, the Cruyff turn, all kinds of tricks like you see on those Youtube vids. I've seen Alan Smith do a whole host of tricks in warm up again like you see on those Youtube vids so I'm sure Shearer could do them all too. The difference between him and your Tinos though is they could do them in an actual match under pressure or facing an opponent (that is what skill is btw, doing them in a match. Technique is a different thing altogether). It probably is bollocks but Shearer not being able to juggle the ball and do some tricks would be the bigger bollocks if you ask me.