So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

Guest sicko2ndbest

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has issued a scathing indictment of Mike Ashley's Newcastle folly by declaring Steve Bruce would not even consider moving to St James' Park until a takeover was completed.

Bruce, 47, is being championed for the Newcastle manager's position by no less than Sir Bobby Robson but Whelan is adamant he would not be interested in serving Ashley despite strong local connections.

"Steve won't come here and work with Mike Ashley," Whelan said. "There's no chance Steve would go near a club if it's not run the way he thinks it should be.

"Steve wants to work with a chairman who understands the game and does not expect too much, too soon. He wants respect and he will show you respect. He's great to work with."

Bruce's abilities were demonstrated by the way Wigan went about their work on Tyneside. Ryan Taylor put his side ahead early on before Emmerson Boyce was wrongly sent off. Newcastle's revival yielded Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins goals before Titus Bramble equalised.

"If someone could bring Newcastle silverware they'd go down in history as a God," Whelan added. "I hope it's not Steve Bruce because I get on so well with him but I know I have to face the fact that sometime he'll leave.

"He's so good, one of the big clubs will come for him. He's been linked with Newcastle in the past. He is from here. He loves Newcastle. There is no question about that. He's Newcastle through and through."

Ashley is trying to sell Newcastle and Whelan believes there can be no turning back for his rival sports retail tycoon following the resignation of Kevin Keegan in protest at transfers conducted above his head by the club's 'Cockney Mafia'.

"I spoke to him when the row started and I said 'Mike, just get your money back and step away'," Whelan added.

"He'll never repair the damage between himself and the fans. Because I know Mike, I said as soon as he can find a buyer he's gone.

"If Mike Ashley will sell it for the right money, he will sell it next week.

Now, is he being greedy? Yes."

TELEGRAPH

Guest Howaythetoon

Not like Whelan to talk about things that don't concern him or to big up or the man he appointed which makes his decision to do so  make him look good in turn. f*** off DW!

For the record, i think Shearer will be a poor club manager, i think he's made for national management though - much like Klinsmann.

Bayern are 3rd in the league & 3 points off top. There was a bit of turbulence at the start of the season but that was to be expected with him changing the way Bayern play also there best player was also broke.

3rd isnt good enough for Bayern and Im not saying that Klinsmann is a poor club manager, i dont know his personality well  enough to draw a good idea of what he's about but he was a good national manager becasue of his status, much like i think Shearer.

For Shearer i think he's build a pretty orthodox side, like Dalglish, would rather have personalities in the squad and the expense of ablilty . Its pretty well known that he hated flair and backed Souness as a manager showing that he didnt really evaluate what was more imporant for the club (and him) when Bellamy was booted form the club, and Robert to an extent.

Its the only thing i can use to judge him as a manager, what are you using to judge him as a manager?

It is November ffs. Bayern brought Klinsi in to get them playing the way German national team did & he is doing that. I will check the league placing at the end of the season.

I really dont know what Al will be like as a manager. But atm I am watching a Hull team play good football who are being bossed by a bloke who helped get Bolton play the way they did & was a robust lower league full back. So the stuff you mention about Shearer could be completely irrelevant. I watched West Ham on TV on Football First totally f***ing boring & they are managed by a player who used to flair player.

So if its only novemeber then why do you coplain about our predicamanet so much? You cant have your cake and eat it. Arsenal are close to being writ off for the title, why do you think that is?

Yeh you're are right - it could be irrelanvant - but its exactly what what basing my belief on - at the end of the day, there is always an exception to every thing in footbal - no guarantuees whatsoever, but i am basing my opinion in things ive seen him do which suggest a midset, i see no reason why it should change.

Bellamy/Robert scenario being aprime example - why would it all of a sudden be any different as a manager?

You can cite Phil Brown, I can cite Keegan or Dalglish, you're examples are as irrelavent as mine....

Because I care more about us being 4th bottom than Bayern being 3rd top of the Bundsliga in November. Forget the examples thing it f***ing boring if I am honest, I will go to my original answer of I don't what Shearer will be like as a manager until he starts.

Why didnt you just say that in the first place??

That should be "I don't know what Shearer will be like as a manager until he starts." & I did say "really dont know what Al will be like as a manager"

Funny, I didnt see that in your first post when you made your non point about Klinsmann. Just seemed geared towards saying i was wrong....

Your not the sharpest poster on here so it no surprise you miss things from time to time :thup:

What an ironic comment.

Just for clarification:

Bayern are 3rd in the league & 3 points off top. There was a bit of turbulence at the start of the season but that was to be expected with him changing the way Bayern play also there best player was also broke.

was your first post - i read that as an attack at my view that Shearer would make a poor club manager but a good national manager, you intimated that i implied that Klinsmann was a poor club manager which i wasnt.

:lol:

I am not 100% sure why I am replying. I am glad you posted my original post which does not mention Shearer at all, which you viewed as an attack (It was a reply to post not declaration of war) on your view of Shearer.  Yeah I got lost in you post which said "will be a poor club manager, i think he's made for national management though - much like Klinsmann." is that not you implying Klinsi is not made out for club management?

Before we get swallowed up ATTACKING each other & boring others feel free to continue this uninteresting debate via PM's, I will reply as & when.

O0

For the record, i think Shearer will be a poor club manager, i think he's made for national management though - much like Klinsmann.

3rd isnt good enough for Bayern and Im not saying that Klinsmann is a poor club manager, i dont know his personality well  enough to draw a good idea of what he's about but he was a good national manager becasue of his status, much like i think Shearer.

For Shearer i think he's build a pretty orthodox side, like Dalglish, would rather have personalities in the squad and the expense of ablilty . Its pretty well known that he hated flair and backed Souness as a manager showing that he didnt really evaluate what was more imporant for the club (and him) when Bellamy was booted form the club, and Robert to an extent.

Its the only thing i can use to judge him as a manager, what are you using to judge him as a manager?

It is November ffs. Bayern brought Klinsi in to get them playing the way German national team did & he is doing that. I will check the league placing at the end of the season.

I really dont know what Al will be like as a manager. But atm I am watching a Hull team play good football who are being bossed by a bloke who helped get Bolton play the way they did & was a robust lower league full back. So the stuff you mention about Shearer could be completely irrelevant. I watched West Ham on TV on Football First totally f***ing boring & they are managed by a player who used to flair player.

So if its only novemeber then why do you coplain about our predicamanet so much? You cant have your cake and eat it. Arsenal are close to being writ off for the title, why do you think that is?

Yeh you're are right - it could be irrelanvant - but its exactly what what basing my belief on - at the end of the day, there is always an exception to every thing in footbal - no guarantuees whatsoever, but i am basing my opinion in things ive seen him do which suggest a midset, i see no reason why it should change.

Bellamy/Robert scenario being aprime example - why would it all of a sudden be any different as a manager?

You can cite Phil Brown, I can cite Keegan or Dalglish, you're examples are as irrelavent as mine....

Because I care more about us being 4th bottom than Bayern being 3rd top of the Bundsliga in November. Forget the examples thing it f***ing boring if I am honest, I will go to my original answer of I don't what Shearer will be like as a manager until he starts.

Why didnt you just say that in the first place??

That should be "I don't know what Shearer will be like as a manager until he starts." & I did say "really dont know what Al will be like as a manager"

Funny, I didnt see that in your first post when you made your non point about Klinsmann. Just seemed geared towards saying i was wrong....

Your not the sharpest poster on here so it no surprise you miss things from time to time :thup:

What an ironic comment.

Just for clarification:

was your first post - i read that as an attack at my view that Shearer would make a poor club manager but a good national manager, you intimated that i implied that Klinsmann was a poor club manager which i wasnt.

:lol:

I am not 100% sure why I am replying. I am glad you posted my original post which does not mention Shearer at all, which you viewed as an attack (It was a reply to post not declaration of war) on your view of Shearer.  Yeah I got lost in you post which said "will be a poor club manager, i think he's made for national management though - much like Klinsmann." is that not you implying Klinsi is not made out for club management?

Before we get swallowed up ATTACKING each other & boring others feel free to continue this uninteresting debate via PM's, I will reply as & when.

O0

Oooo you're so noble!

As great as he was at a lot of things, one thing I wouldn't credit Shearer with is having exceptional technique and the ability to out-trick Asprilla and Ginola especially - two of the most technically gifted players I've ever seen in the flesh.

I'd imagine it's an inside-joke, an urban legend or just a wind-up. Just from watching him play the hundreds of times like, I can't see it.

Would be smashing if it was true!

Remember the McDonalds advert from yonks back?

No, not the one featuring Alan Shearer signing a cheque

This one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrqiFBJ7Np4

I reckon as a nipper Wor Al had an extensiver repetoire of tricks and skills.

As someone posted above, the difference with the likes of Tino, Ginola and more recently Ronaldo is that they have the confidence to use these tricks in match conditions.

There is no doubt in my mind that Shearer was as technically gifted as Tino and Ginola, he just applied his technique in a different way on the pitch

As great as he was at a lot of things, one thing I wouldn't credit Shearer with is having exceptional technique and the ability to out-trick Asprilla and Ginola especially - two of the most technically gifted players I've ever seen in the flesh.

Shearer had brilliant technique, passing, shooting, first touch were all flawless.  He didn't show much flair, but that's another thing entirely.

Shearer had brilliant technique, passing, shooting, first touch were all flawless.  He didn't show much flair, but that's another thing entirely.

All depends how you define 'flair' but Shearer is the best footballer I've ever seen play for us. :)

Guest optimistic nit

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has issued a scathing indictment of Mike Ashley's Newcastle folly by declaring Steve Bruce would not even consider moving to St James' Park until a takeover was completed.

Bruce, 47, is being championed for the Newcastle manager's position by no less than Sir Bobby Robson but Whelan is adamant he would not be interested in serving Ashley despite strong local connections.

"Steve won't come here and work with Mike Ashley," Whelan said. "There's no chance Steve would go near a club if it's not run the way he thinks it should be.

"Steve wants to work with a chairman who understands the game and does not expect too much, too soon. He wants respect and he will show you respect. He's great to work with."

Bruce's abilities were demonstrated by the way Wigan went about their work on Tyneside. Ryan Taylor put his side ahead early on before Emmerson Boyce was wrongly sent off. Newcastle's revival yielded Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins goals before Titus Bramble equalised.

"If someone could bring Newcastle silverware they'd go down in history as a God," Whelan added. "I hope it's not Steve Bruce because I get on so well with him but I know I have to face the fact that sometime he'll leave.

"He's so good, one of the big clubs will come for him. He's been linked with Newcastle in the past. He is from here. He loves Newcastle. There is no question about that. He's Newcastle through and through."

Ashley is trying to sell Newcastle and Whelan believes there can be no turning back for his rival sports retail tycoon following the resignation of Kevin Keegan in protest at transfers conducted above his head by the club's 'Cockney Mafia'.

"I spoke to him when the row started and I said 'Mike, just get your money back and step away'," Whelan added.

"He'll never repair the damage between himself and the fans. Because I know Mike, I said as soon as he can find a buyer he's gone.

"If Mike Ashley will sell it for the right money, he will sell it next week.

Now, is he being greedy? Yes."

TELEGRAPH

one of the biggest cockjobs in football.

I'd imagine it's an inside-joke, an urban legend or just a wind-up. Just from watching him play the hundreds of times like, I can't see it.

Would be smashing if it was true!

I couldn't lace any fuckers boots but I can do the chop, stepovers, over 300 kick-ups, the Cruyff turn, all kinds of tricks like you see on those Youtube vids. I've seen Alan Smith do a whole host of tricks in warm up again like you see on those Youtube vids so I'm sure Shearer could do them all too. The difference between him and your Tinos though is they could do them in an actual match under pressure or facing an opponent (that is what skill is btw, doing them in a match. Technique is a different thing altogether). It probably is bollocks but Shearer not being able to juggle the ball and do some tricks would be the bigger bollocks if you ask me.

I think because of who is and and how good a striker he was people like to think the man could fly to the moon if he wanted to. I'd be very interested to know the truth, but I'm still pessimistic.

Even in warm-ups and knock-abouts before a game you'd rarely see him doing anything out of the ordinary and I personally think he mastered his strengths because he was clever enough to do that, he mastered some techniques of the game. Tricks probably weren't one of them, though.

Stevie Watson could do every trick going & was  much more skillful when at middle school than Alan Thompson. It was a great team that year group had.

Watson always played with a bit of swagger though, didn't he? Shearer didn't. Ever. He was all business.

Watson can basically play anywhere. He's my uncle's cousin apparently, which is exciting, though they can't be that close because I've never seen him at a family do.

Both red haired, like.

I think this Shearer mystery needs solved, btw. Fuck NUSC, fuck protesting, I'm talking priorities here people.

I'm going to take action and find out whether Alan Shearer did in fact out-trick David Ginola and Faustino Asprilla.

I'll let people know how I get on.

I think this Shearer mystery needs solved, btw. f*** NUSC, f*** protesting, I'm talking priorities here people.

I'm going to take action and find out whether Alan Shearer did in fact out-trick David Ginola and Faustino Asprilla.

I'll let people know how I get on.

:lol: :thup:

Shall I genuinely write him a letter? I fucking will :laugh:

Or I'll target the player who would have been there who's had the biggest fall from grace (i.e. will be the most delighted to receive something designed as fan-mail).

Shall I genuinely write him a letter? I f***ing will :laugh:

Or I'll target the player who would have been there who's had the biggest fall from grace (i.e. will be the most delighted to receive something designed as fan-mail).

Take the case on & find out the answer.

Off topic: I tried that chip shop on Mullen Road & they are very nice. The lass who works there is so friendly.

Its pretty well known that he hated flair

Source?

HTT: He is not keen on tricks (if that is what flair is) that go nowhere. Legend has it & the source of the story was Tino via Gabriele Marcotti.  Ginola & Tino were doing tricks & they asked Al to take part & he said no, other players egged him on, he took the pair on & was much better than both of them. He then chucked the ball on floor & said " I would do it if there was a point to it" walked off.

Heard that story before. Utter bollocks I'd imagine.

Several former players who claim to have witnessed it swear by it so who knows, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest mind if indeed it was true despite like you thinking it to be utter bollocks.

What I can imagine is Shearer declaring himself the winner, and no-one being prepared to argue with him.

Shall I genuinely write him a letter? I f***ing will :laugh:

Take the case on & find out the answer.

Off topic: I tried that chip shop on Mullen Road & they are very nice. The lass who works there is so friendly.

Get in there son! Let's get Fugazi involved as well 'cos he's round our neck of the woods. They're a bit pricey like, but I reckon it's worth it. They do cod and haddock as well, which a lot of place don't these days, it's usually one or the other. I'm not back home til Christmas but will defo be making an effort to get some down my neck.

Nowhere I've tried near me in Hull (and there's about 5 within a 10 minute walk) come close to that place.

Making myself hungry :-[

“Things have gone on and hopefully after the Chelsea game I will be better (sic) in the picture. The club is almost sold so I don’t know what future I have.

“If you listen to (Keith) Harris he says there is interest from two parties and he doesn’t expect it to go on longer than another couple of weeks.”

JK talking shite again? I'm not sure if he knows anything more than we do tbh.

“Things have gone on and hopefully after the Chelsea game I will be better (sic) in the picture. The club is almost sold so I don’t know what future I have.

“If you listen to (Keith) Harris he says there is interest from two parties and he doesn’t expect it to go on longer than another couple of weeks.”

JK talking s**** again? I'm not sure if he knows anything more than we do tbh.

Why would he actually go out there to lie on purpose?

Guest nufc_kev

Just for the craic.

Because the people paying his wages tell him to.