So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

If we are bought by Americans, I hope Ashley is getting guarantees from them that they wont lumber us with the debts of some other overseas company.

Mike Ashley won't be getting any guarantees, but I'm sure Keith Harris will.  He's the man doing the majority of the deal after all.  Which I'm fairly happy with, because he has no malice towards the club or fans and has his own reputation on the line if we end up in the wrong hands.

If we are bought by Americans, I hope Ashley is getting guarantees from them that they wont lumber us with the debts of some other overseas company.

Why should he care?

He's going, which is what people wanted. Why should he give a f*** about who offers him the most money?

From Ashley's statement:

"I am putting the club up for sale. I hope that the fans get what they want and that the next owner is someone who can lavish the amount of money on the club that the fans want.

This will not be a fire sale. Newcastle is now in a much stronger position than it was in 2007. It is planning for the future and it is sustainable.

But I have set out, clearly, my plan. If I can't sell the club to someone who will give the fans what they want then I shall continue to ensure that Newcastle is run on a business and football model that is sustainable. I care too much about the club merely to abandon it."

Can only hope that he honours his own words. Otherwise, yes, he has absolutely no reason to care what anyone does with the club after he's sold it.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Philip Anschutz, LA Galaxy's owner, linked with Newcastle takeover

Philip Anschutz, the billionaire owner of LA Galaxy, is being touted on Tyneside as a potential new owner of Newcastle United.

By Rob Stewart

Last Updated: 8:24PM GMT 09 Nov 2008

From LA to Newcastle: Philip Anschutz is being tipped to take over St James' Park Photo: BLOOMBERG NEWS

Anschutz was being tipped to take over St James' Park from sports retail tycoon Mike Ashley after it was claimed that only two US-based investors had been left in the race to buy the troubled club.

While Anschutz is being billed as Newcastle's most credible suitor, Dallas-based businessman Clark Hunt, who owns the Major League Soccer side FC Dallas and NFL outfit Kansas City Chiefs, is also being mooted as a serious rival.

As takeover talks reached an advanced stage, it has been suggested that Ashley, the founder of Sports Direct, could settle for as little as £225million for a club he bought for £134.4million last year before clearing Newcastle's debts with another £110million from his own pockets.

It is understood Ashley, who put the club up for sale following a fans' revolt over Kevin Keegan's resignation, will put Newcastle's future ahead of personal gain with the highest bidder not necessarily bound to be successful.

Instead, Ashley is expected to place a greater emphasis on the prospective purchasers' financial credentials.

Mark Cuban, who owns NBA side the Dallas Mavericks, and Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, who owns basketball side the Portland Trailblazers, have also been mentioned as possible buyers.

Newcastle's books are expected to be scrutinised soon under the due diligence process and a formal bid is expected to be lodged before the end of November.

The increasingly favourable exchange rate for the dollar against the pound has strengthened the position of would-be American investors.

That means Newcastle could become the fourth Premier League to fall into US-based hands following Manchester United, Liverpool and Aston Villa.

Keith Harris, the London-based investment banker who is handling the sale of Newcastle on Ashley's behalf, was unavailable for comment yesterday.

But last week, Harris, the chairman of City bankers Seymour Pierce, confirmed a field of seven potential buyers had been drastically narrowed down.

"We have two very serious contenders to buy it (Newcastle)," Harris said.

"Mike wants to get a maximum price but he also wants to make sure that it goes into hands that will look after it and nurture it for the future."

"It is not easy doing anything in this world whether it's selling a football club or anything else, but it will come through. It's not been a question of dropping the price from that level. It's been a question of making sure people have the absolute facts.

Guest Howaythetoon

We'll all be pleasantly surprised is my prediction by who takes us over. The clue is in the time we've been up for sale yet the club still remains unsold. There is interest and there is offers, but the one who Ashley wants to sell to/the one who wants it the most has some way to go yet before they can be in a position to own the club. We'll not end up in the hands of Americans is my opinion despite what Harris alludes to, he's just throwing the media off the scent and it seems to be working.

We'll all be pleasantly surprised is my prediction by who takes us over. The clue is in the time we've been up for sale yet the club still remains unsold. There is interest and there is offers, but the one who Ashley wants to sell to/the one who wants it the most has some way to go yet before they can be in a position to own the club. We'll not end up in the hands of Americans is my opinion despite what Harris alludes to, he's just throwing the media off the scent and it seems to be working.

Yeah hilarious that like.

:lol:

If Philip Anschutz buys the club, I will literally never buy anything from the club (including a ticket) as long as he is owner. I love NUFC, but I would feel sick to my stomach knowing that my money is going to his pockets, and possibly funding his ultra-right-wing projects.

Let's all hope that he doesn't get control.

If Philip Anschutz buys the club, I will literally never buy anything from the club (including a ticket) as long as he is owner. I love NUFC, but I would feel sick to my stomach knowing that my money is going to his pockets, and possibly funding his ultra-right-wing projects.

Let's all hope that he doesn't get control.

If we are going for Texan billionaires then I'll cross my fingers and hope for Jerry Jones.  It will likely end up being an epic disaster regardless of which Kuwaiti/Russian or American buys it, so we can at least make the ride as fun as possible. 

Enlighten us then.

Right...so he's a conservative christian.

So how's he any worse than Islamic billionaires from the middle east ?

They're conservative muslims, and as such don't get the spotlight turned on them whatsoever.

Doesn't mean they're cuddly bunnies in this regard

Sorry but this pedestal crap about stuff via someone else bias irritates me.

Guest sicko2ndbest

?

They're conservative muslims, and as such don't get the spotlight turned on them whatsoever.

Of course you'd think this far-right tosser is great. :lol:

Evangelical ultra-conservative christian i would say.