So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

Guest Howaythetoon

Hold on, I don't get it. We are led to believe that due diligence is being carried out by a few interested parties. Surely that means somewhere down the line some kind of agreement over the purchase price has been met or am I barking up the wrong tree? The longer this drags on the more I feel that Harris, Ashley and whoever is sniffing around are all pissing in the wind. Is there any cut off point to all of this because the club cannot be ran like this. Kinnear cannot do his job properly with all of this uncertainty and the players cannot look any further forward than the next match really, same with fans. Ashley is either being a greedy cunt, doesn't want to sell, there is no real interest or more than likely those who are interested are waiting to see the price drop and are prepared to sit and wait for that to happen either by design with Ashley himself lowering it or by fault through the club's falling performances on the pitch. Neither is benefiting the club right now and something must happen sooner rather than later. I'm still clinging onto the slim hope that a North East led consortium are trying to buy the club, the last I heard they were trying to get the funds together and that Ashley himself would prefer to sell to them rather than some Americans or whoever. Fingers crossed it all gets sorted quickly regardless.

Hold on, I don't get it. We are led to believe that due diligence is being carried out by a few interested parties. Surely that means somewhere down the line some kind of agreement over the purchase price has been met or am I barking up the wrong tree? The longer this drags on the more I feel that Harris, Ashley and whoever is sniffing around are all pissing in the wind. Is there any cut off point to all of this because the club cannot be ran like this. Kinnear cannot do his job properly with all of this uncertainty and the players cannot look any further forward than the next match really, same with fans. Ashley is either being a greedy cunt, doesn't want to sell, there is no real interest or more than likely those who are interested are waiting to see the price drop and are prepared to sit and wait for that to happen either by design with Ashley himself lowering it or by fault through the club's falling performances on the pitch. Neither is benefiting the club right now and something must happen sooner rather than later. I'm still clinging onto the slim hope that a North East led consortium are trying to buy the club, the last I heard they were trying to get the funds together and that Ashley himself would prefer to sell to them rather than some Americans or whoever. Fingers crossed it all gets sorted quickly regardless.

It's all a bunch of lies man, don't believe anything until it happens.

Ashley (through Kinnear) and Harris are both bullshitters IMO. They're taking the piss out of us.

Guest Howaythetoon

Hold on, I don't get it. We are led to believe that due diligence is being carried out by a few interested parties. Surely that means somewhere down the line some kind of agreement over the purchase price has been met or am I barking up the wrong tree? The longer this drags on the more I feel that Harris, Ashley and whoever is sniffing around are all pissing in the wind. Is there any cut off point to all of this because the club cannot be ran like this. Kinnear cannot do his job properly with all of this uncertainty and the players cannot look any further forward than the next match really, same with fans. Ashley is either being a greedy c***, doesn't want to sell, there is no real interest or more than likely those who are interested are waiting to see the price drop and are prepared to sit and wait for that to happen either by design with Ashley himself lowering it or by fault through the club's falling performances on the pitch. Neither is benefiting the club right now and something must happen sooner rather than later. I'm still clinging onto the slim hope that a North East led consortium are trying to buy the club, the last I heard they were trying to get the funds together and that Ashley himself would prefer to sell to them rather than some Americans or whoever. Fingers crossed it all gets sorted quickly regardless.

Ashley (through Kinnear) and Harris are both bullshitters IMO. They're taking the piss out of us.

Sadly I can only agree.

Its a buyers market, I thought Ashley would be lucky to recoup his original investment plus debt, given my experience at the moment of selling a business which is significantly better performing at the moment (different sector admittedly)and experience of the banking market at present, 250m would be a very good price indeed, 450m is fantasy land.

If a purchaser is having to raise bank funds, then there is no way this deal (if there is one) is being done till into January.

This post gives more insight than any article written on the subject.

:thup:

Harris has talked more than his fair share of crap about Everton as well.

My guess is that it's all a PR stunt from both Ashley and Kenwright- get Harris on the payroll, have him run his mouth off in the media every 5mins and make the fans think change at the top is imminent.

Therefore, no discontent to deal with.

• 2 weeks later...

Pini Zahavi the agent? The one who helped facilitate the takeover of two English Premier League clubs by fellow associates, Chelsea Football Club by Russian businessman Roman Abramovich, and Portsmouth Football Club by French businessman Alexandre Gaydamak?

The one who is currently co-owner of Charlton?

Guest WashyGeordie

Pini Zahavi the agent? The one who helped facilitate the takeover of two English Premier League clubs by fellow associates, Chelsea Football Club by Russian businessman Roman Abramovich, and Portsmouth Football Club by French businessman Alexandre Gaydamak?

The one who is currently co-owner of Charlton?

Aye.

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley in possible buy out deal with Pini Zahavi

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/manutd/3658944/Newcastle-owner-Mike-Ashley-in-possible-buy-out-deal-with-Pini-Zahavi-Football.html

According to the Mirror the Israeli was involved in two meetings last week with Ashley's investment banker representatives from Seymour Price. He was said to be in London on business and arranged to have the top secret meetings at his personal apartment.

Zahavi is representing a group who are eager to buy a Premier League club. His task for this latest visit was to ascertain the state of Newcastle's finances and report back to the bidders.

Ashley has been trying to sell the club since Kevin Keegan walked out in September, but due to the current financial situation offers have been few and far between.

A price tag of £250 million has been put on St James' Park but it is unlikely that Ashley would see offers anywhere near this figure. Just recently it was reported that a buy-out deal with an American company fell through because neither party could agree on a fee.

And Ashley's efforts to leave the club were dealt another blow when last week it emerged that he has only paid off a percentage of the £100 million debt inherited from Freddy Shepherd last year.

Recent reports have also linked Zahavi with a takeover deal at Portsmouth. His personal fortune is estimated to be around £60 million, and it is quite possible he could sort a deal to include the club's debts for £70 million.

He also has the advantage of a close relationship with current owner Alexandre Gaydamak having played a major role when he bought the club in 2006.

that dubai bloke has announced he is no longer interested in liverpool

obviously cos he is buying us

Whilst I'd love that to be true, it probably isn't.

Dubai is essentially bankrupt at the moment & is having to borrow money from neighbouring countries.  They've got a lot of investments in banks around the world, and their oil supplies running out at a time when the price of oil has dropped massively.

They've got no more money for vanity projects like buying football clubs.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Newcastle United targeted by multi-millionaire entrepreneur Afzal Kahn

A multi-millionaire entrepreneur from Bradford is masterminding an audacious bid to buy Newcastle United from sports retail tycoon Mike Ashley and bring back Kevin Keegan, it has emerged.

By Rob Stewart

Last Updated: 5:14PM GMT 12 Dec 2008

Playing the numbers game: businessman Afzal Kahn is hoping to take control of Newcastle Photo: PA

Afzal Kahn, who purchased the UK's most expensive number plate – F1 – for more than £440,000 in January, is currently putting together a consortium that is preparing a bid for the St James' Park club.

"Afzal has been interested in buying club for a while now. He had a look at LFC [liverpool] but because of circumstances he was not really interested there," a source close to Kahn told Telegraph Sport.

"However, Newcastle may be an option although he hadn't made that official yet. He is heading a consortium that may be interested. I can't reveal too many details as of yet but he is certainly interested in that particular club.

"So far we are talking to people who would be part of this consortium and we maybe preparing an offer. However, because of what has happened at the club in the past we would be seeking assurances as well." Yorkshire-based Kahn, who is said to be in his mid-30s and has an estimated personal fortune of £40 million, also seems intent in restoring Keegan to the manager's office.

That would represent a remarkable development at Newcastle as it would come just months after his resignation brought the club to its knees and forced Ashley to put the club up for sale.

"To be honest he is not big really big football fan but when were talking about football a couple of weeks ago the first person that came to his head was Kevin Keegan," said the source.

"What attracted him to the club was the fan base. A lot of other clubs have a great fanbases but their fan base is really loyal.

"Compared to all the other clubs they have fans that come in week in week out. That is a very attractive asset. However, because the price hasn't been right for a deal to go ahead so far and for someone to purchase the club." Kahn, who is described as a flamboyant businessman and car designer, may have to put together a bid of around £200 million for Newcastle with Ashley having failed to offload the club since putting it on the market in September.

Kahn, whose career began when he helped his father in an ice cream van at the age of 14, is in his mid-30s and has already amassed a personal fortune of around £40 million.

Earlier, Kahn's business manager, Michael Woodhouse, had refused to confirm his interest in Newcastle but certainly left enough clues as to his boss's intentions.

"One particular club that fills the stadium week in week out with loyal fans is of interest to us and if things go according to plan and the club accept our bid, the fans may indeed have their messiah back," said Woodhouse.

Kahn, a Formula One motor racing fan, has fixed the £375,000 number plate to his 200mph black McLaren SLR sports car, which itself cost £300,000. With VAT, the total paid for the plate by Mr Kahn was £440,625.

Customers for Kahn's custom-built Cosworths apparently include Newcastle striker Mark Viduka and Chelsea and England captain, John Terry.

Two unnamed American parties are still apparently interested in a takeover at Newcastle although it has been suggested that little progress has been made with the process of due diligence apparently yet to get under way.

The sale of Newcastle is being handled for Ashley by investment banker Keith Harris but he was unavailable for comment when contacted by Telegraph Sport.

When asked about Kahn's apparent interest, Newcastle manager Joe Kinnear remained open-minded.

Kinnear said: "As long as someone has the best interests of the club at heart then so be it, it wouldn't matter who it was or what nationality it was as long as they came in and did the right thing for the club. Newcastle is the most important thing, not who comes in and buys it. It's about someone coming in and putting in as much finance as the present owner."

Earlier, Kahn's business manager, Michael Woodhouse, had refused to confirm his interest in Newcastle but certainly left enough clues as to his boss's intentions.

"One particular club that fills the stadium week in week out with loyal fans is of interest to us and if things go according to plan and the club accept our bid, the fans may indeed have their messiah back," said Woodhouse.

Cryptic.

That guy's pretty much a pauper compared to Ashley, so if people weren't happy with what he was putting in, then they're in for a big disappointment as he couldn't even afford to match that even if he wanted to. Also, that article's shockingly badly written, they don't even know how old he is and say very little about what he's done in business, preferring to talk about him buying a number plate, for fuck's sake. I mean what the fuck does this even mean?

"To be honest he is not big really big football fan but when were talking about football a couple of weeks ago the first person that came to his head was Kevin Keegan," said the source.