So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

If we don't get a new owner then a lot of bridge building is going to be necessary.

i honestly believe it could be done though

its easy. Ashley admit he's f***ed up, get shot of Wise etc, re-appoint Keegan, back him to strengthen the team in January and its done. We aren't talking loads of money here, Keegan is responsible when it comes to getting value for money. Just back him and let us see that he understands how football works, its different to normal business. If he doesn't like that, then OK look for someone else in the longer term.

I'm pretty much convinced now that he never really wanted or understood what it took to live with the big boys and now he knows he won't be wanting to stay, if he ever did.

aye, thats my point, its not hard to fix, he could do it tomorrow if he wanted, but he isn't, which says an awful lot.

If he did that people would just be waiting for him to fuck up again, this would still be hanging over him. Whatever he does now he has lost the trust and respect of alot of fans, i don't think there's any turning back unfortunately.

Guest Chubby Jason

I really don't see why he can't just bring Keegan back and still look to sell up, at least results would probably improve.

Aye, there's a realistic scenario:

SUPPORTERS: Do exactly what we want and we'll let you stand with the away fans again.

ASHLEY: OK, sounds great! I'll start begging Kevin to return right away. How much of my own money do you want me to cough up each season?

ASHLEY: OK, sounds great! I'll start begging Kevin to return right away. How much of my own money do you want me to cough up each season?

You make it sound like him using his own money is outrageous, I tend to expect it as he owns the club 100%.

SUPPORTERS: Do exactly what we want and we'll let you stand with the away fans again.

WUM returns.

No wonder nobody takes any notice of you, apart from deservedly taking the piss

No, I just tend to expect him to have his own ideas about how best to spend his own money.

so you are giving your approval to appointing himself as manager ....... before applying hindsight later that is

No, I just tend to expect him to have his own ideas about how best to spend his own money.

That gets a bit clouded when you start hiring people as managers, Vice-President (Player Recruitment) & Executive Director (Football)

Whatever the details, I just can't see him accepting that anyone else has the right to tell him how to run things or allocate his resources. Especially not a bunch of people who, apart from having only a vague idea of what's been going on, have also recently told him, "Fuck off, you're never going to be one of us!"

That gets a bit clouded when you start hiring people as managers, Vice-President (Player Recruitment) & Executive Director (Football)

Whatever the details, I just can't see him accepting that anyone else has the right to tell him how to run things or allocate his resources. Especially not a bunch of people who, apart from having only a vague idea of what's been going on, have also recently told him, "f*** off, you're never going to be one of us!"

Of course he is not that is why he is selling, he cant hack the rough times football brings.

not quite what we are saying though is it? you might as well carry on though, you're always good for a giggle.

I'm not trying to be argumentative; I'm trying to make a point.

If a new owner is not found, then "we" are going to have to be some kind of conciliatory position.

I agree with Mick, basically, but everyone's just looking at what Ashley "ought" to do, not at what attitude we might take for the sake of compromise and the future of the club.

This is a classic case of TINA - There Is No Alternative....

If Ashley can't find a buyer by end of Nov, he's in a cleft stick - he risks relegation unless he agrees to strengthen the side in the Jan window, but can he give any funds for that to a temporary manager whose buys may not be either wanted by his successor(which Ashley will have to choose if he cannot sell the club)??

If he doesn't take action, the club could go down and his Investment is immediately worth much less.

I can see that he WILL have to re-appoint KK(or a new full-time manager)within a month unless the club is sold.

Time will tell - maybe, if results pick up, he will even appoint Kinnear until the end of the season.

Freddy Shepherd tells Mike Ashley to 'get real' over Newcastle United sale price

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has been warned by the club’s former chairman Freddy Shepherd: 'Don’t try to make a profit out of a disaster.'

Shepherd has urged the billionaire sportswear retailer to be “realistic” in his asking price for the Magpies if he is serious about selling up at a time when the world is in financial meltdown.

Shepherd said: “The price Mike Ashley is asking has to reflect the global economic crisis. Above all, it has to be realistic and attainable.

“Mike Ashley says he wants to go, the fans want him out, but with the value of companies tumbling by the hour the price must be attractive to lure serious investors. Some of the figures that have been bandied about are laughable.

“Serious investors know what he paid for the club and what he has put in – so he must accept there are no fast bucks to be made in this market.

“One of our biggest banks HBOS had to take a massive hit and most companies and institutions have suffered too. Newcastle United is no different.

“Mr Ashley has to do what is best for the club. He must not try to make a profit out of a disaster.”

Last month Dubai-based investors claimed Ashley was asking £481million for the club he paid just under £134million for in the summer of 2007.

Among those Dubai interests who laughed that figure out of court were Zabeel Investments, who on Friday made an indicative offer for Charlton.

Since investment bankers Seymour Pierce took over responsibility for finding a buyer last month, Ashley’s asking price has reportedly dropped to between £300m and £350m and they claim to be talking to two seriously interested parties from abroad.

But Arab business experts agree with Shepherd that the sale price must fall much further to clinch a sale.

One well-placed Dubai source said: “I think Ashley could have sold Newcastle last week for £250m in two hours – I know of one definite buyer who would have done it then – but because of the global financial crisis, this week is looking different.”

Shepherd, who banked £37m from the sale of his 28 per cent stake in the club, believes that if the beleaguered Ashley is to find a buyer in daunting economic conditions he must further drop his price to “something slightly north of £200million”.

Shepherd added: “He couldn’t be trying to sell the club at a worse time. Events both on and off the football pitch are well and truly against him.

“But if he is looking to get a sale done before the January transfer window I think he needs to be looking at a price just north of £200m.

“He is not going to make any profit on that figure, but he is going to get his money back. That would be fantastic business the way things are going.”

The problem for Ashley is that come January, if Newcastle are unsold and still in the drop zone, there will be calls for him to invest in players to stave off relegation.

One source close to Ashley camp estimates it could take up to £50m to prevent the Magpies being relegated.

That would hurt a man who has seen the share value of his Sports Direct company fall by £1.5billion in 20 months.

A quick, cut-price sale is fast becoming Ashley’s most inviting option.

Mike Ashley is close to extending manager Joe Kinnear’s deal until the end of the season.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/10/12/freddy-shepherd-tells-mike-ashley-to-get-real-over-newcastle-united-sale-price-115875-20795180/

NO ESCAPE FOR MIKE ASHLEY

MIKE ASHLEY could be in charge at Newcastle until the end of the season.

The Toon owner has told allies he is prepared to sit tight if the right offer does not come in by the end of the week, the deadline set by brokers Seymour Pierce.

Ashley has been warned he will struggle to find any investor ready to meet his £300million asking price in the current financial market.

He still wants out but will not be rushed into a quick sale.

And despite seeing the value of his shares in Sports Direct plummet he still has the financial strength to wait for a new buyer to emerge once the credit crunch starts to ease.

There are still would-be buyers, but City sources now doubt whether anyone will be prepared to pay so much while finance problems sweep the globe.

They say Newcastle is no longer considered the proposition it was a few weeks ago. With each day its standing has dropped.

Sanction

That will alarm Geordie fans, who now face the prospect of a January transfer window in which their struggling side will make no major signings. Newcastle are more likely to be a selling club.

Ashley’s attempts to cut the wage bill in the summer led to the controversial departure of manager Kevin Keegan, who would not sanction any more sales.

The Magpies have six players picking up more than £3m a year.

Top of that list is Michael Owen, who will be available for a knockdown £2m fee in January, when his contract will have just six months to run. Manchester City, one of the few clubs who can match his £110,000- a-week wages, could make a move.

There will also be fresh attempts to off-load big earners Alan Smith and Joey Barton.

And Oba Martins’ future on Tyneside is also in doubt. The Nigerian striker is unhappy that a contract extension was blocked.

The uncertainty over the club’s sale means Joe Kinnear’s reign as manager is likely to be longer than the six games he was originally appointed for.

He could be in charge for the whole campaign and has made a second bid to bring in Gerry Francis to bolster his coaching staff.

Meanwhile, Ashley is ready to call a truce in his battle with Keegan.

Sport of the World has learned Keegan looks set to collect the £2m compensation he sought following his exit.However, that is unlikely to open the door for any return under the current United ownership despite this week’s departure of vice-president Tony Jimenez.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/article43031.ece

That will alarm Geordie fans, who now face the prospect of a January transfer window in which their struggling side will make no major signings. Newcastle are more likely to be a selling club.

How the fuck would we know the difference between that and the last 3?

Freddy Shepherd tells Mike Ashley to 'get real' over Newcastle United sale price

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has been warned by the club’s former chairman Freddy Shepherd: 'Don’t try to make a profit out of a disaster.'

Shepherd has urged the billionaire sportswear retailer to be “realistic” in his asking price for the Magpies if he is serious about selling up at a time when the world is in financial meltdown.

Shepherd said: “The price Mike Ashley is asking has to reflect the global economic crisis. Above all, it has to be realistic and attainable.

“Mike Ashley says he wants to go, the fans want him out, but with the value of companies tumbling by the hour the price must be attractive to lure serious investors. Some of the figures that have been bandied about are laughable.

“Serious investors know what he paid for the club and what he has put in – so he must accept there are no fast bucks to be made in this market.

“One of our biggest banks HBOS had to take a massive hit and most companies and institutions have suffered too. Newcastle United is no different.

“Mr Ashley has to do what is best for the club. He must not try to make a profit out of a disaster.”

Last month Dubai-based investors claimed Ashley was asking £481million for the club he paid just under £134million for in the summer of 2007.

Among those Dubai interests who laughed that figure out of court were Zabeel Investments, who on Friday made an indicative offer for Charlton.

Since investment bankers Seymour Pierce took over responsibility for finding a buyer last month, Ashley’s asking price has reportedly dropped to between £300m and £350m and they claim to be talking to two seriously interested parties from abroad.

But Arab business experts agree with Shepherd that the sale price must fall much further to clinch a sale.

One well-placed Dubai source said: “I think Ashley could have sold Newcastle last week for £250m in two hours – I know of one definite buyer who would have done it then – but because of the global financial crisis, this week is looking different.”

Shepherd, who banked £37m from the sale of his 28 per cent stake in the club, believes that if the beleaguered Ashley is to find a buyer in daunting economic conditions he must further drop his price to “something slightly north of £200million”.

Shepherd added: “He couldn’t be trying to sell the club at a worse time. Events both on and off the football pitch are well and truly against him.

“But if he is looking to get a sale done before the January transfer window I think he needs to be looking at a price just north of £200m.

“He is not going to make any profit on that figure, but he is going to get his money back. That would be fantastic business the way things are going.”

The problem for Ashley is that come January, if Newcastle are unsold and still in the drop zone, there will be calls for him to invest in players to stave off relegation.

One source close to Ashley camp estimates it could take up to £50m to prevent the Magpies being relegated.

That would hurt a man who has seen the share value of his Sports Direct company fall by £1.5billion in 20 months.

A quick, cut-price sale is fast becoming Ashley’s most inviting option.

Mike Ashley is close to extending manager Joe Kinnear’s deal until the end of the season.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/10/12/freddy-shepherd-tells-mike-ashley-to-get-real-over-newcastle-united-sale-price-115875-20795180/

What a mess, if thats true. Lert this be a warning to all investers who are not actually interested in football matters.

I wonder why Shepherd feels the need to keep his name in the papers.

No other reason than he doesn't like Ashley. Remember Ashley bought his shares when he was hospitalized, Ashley then dumped Fred from all his jobs, removed all the Shepherd Offshore signs from SJP & banned him from SJP.  Ashley or his cronies always like to slag off Fred for getting the NR cash up front & for the size of debt etc, so he is now firing back. He could hardly do it during the Ashley honeymoon season as he would of looked bitter, now he comes across as insightful into the running of the club.

Of course all the above could be/is  absolute s**** & he speaks because the media contact him

I wonder why Shepherd feels the need to keep his name in the papers.

No other reason than he doesn't like Ashley. Remember Ashley bought his shares when he hospitalized, Ashley then dumped Fred from all his jobs, removed all the Shepherd Offshore signs from SJP & banned him from SJP.  Ashley or his cronies always like to slag off Fred for getting the NR cash up front & for the size of debt etc, so he is now firing back. He could hardly do it during the Ashley round the Honeymoon season as he would of looked bitter, now he comes across as insightful into the running of the club.

Of course all the above could be/is  absolute shite & he speaks because the media contact him

Probably a combination of the two. Some hack he knows calls up, and he says "why not" for some of the above reasons.

I always got the impression that Shepherd was banned from the ground after Ashley found out he'd be stung for an immwediate £45 million re the SJP redevelopment loans.

I always got the impression that Shepherd was banned from the ground after Ashley found out he'd be stung for an immwediate £45 million re the SJP redevelopment loans.

I tend to think it may have been for that penny stunt Fred did, when he asked & got 1p per share more than everyone else.

If West Ham are going for £50 million that is a bargain. The poor owner is not keen on selling but it is alleged he cant be seen to be giving it large ones to West Ham, while mums in Iceland are struggling.

I wouldn't say that's a bargain actually.  Considering they're £110 million in debt losing £20 million a season and will soon have to pay out around £30 million because of Tevez.