So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

Would you turn down £12 m for Milner?

as has been said, look at the overall spend and look at the fact that they didn't even allow their own manager the money to replace him, in fact they replaced him with a player he didn't even want for half the money.

Now, THAT my friend, is straight back to the days of McKeag, Westwood etc.....right back to it. Take my word for it. No wonder Keegan walked out.

Just catching up on the last 4 or 5 pages of this, how does that answer the question that was asked?

The South African businessman Jonathan Cleland said last night he was "hopeful" of completing a takeover of Newcastle United. Cleland is heading a consortium of investors and has been in contact with the investment bank Seymour Pierce, who are in charge of finding a new buyer for Newcastle, over securing a potential £300m deal.

Cleland's interest in Newcastle was made public this month, only to be discredited when three South African billionaires, Johann Rupert, Brian Joffe and Vivian Imerman, who were also said to be involved in the consortium, stated they had no interest in buying out the current owner, Mike Ashley.

The Cleland bid also took a knock from Keith Harris, the chairman of Seymour Pierce, who described it this week as not being a "serious" offer, but Cleland insists the takeover attempt is genuine - and having spent the past week in South Africa shoring up investment, claims to be in a position to move on to the St James' Park board with immediate effect.

"We're hopeful of still doing a deal for Newcastle United very soon," Cleland told the Guardian, although he was unwilling to discuss who else was part of the consortium.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/oct/18/premierleague-newcastleunited

Guest elbee909

as has been said, look at the overall spend and look at the fact that they didn't even allow their own manager the money to replace him, in fact they replaced him with a player he didn't even want for half the money.

Now, THAT my friend, is straight back to the days of McKeag, Westwood etc.....right back to it. Take my word for it. No wonder Keegan walked out.

Just catching up on the last 4 or 5 pages of this, how does that answer the question that was asked?

It's not like players weren't moved/bought against the wishes of previous managers under ShepHall... allegedly.

The South African businessman Jonathan Cleland said last night he was "hopeful" of completing a takeover of Newcastle United. Cleland is heading a consortium of investors and has been in contact with the investment bank Seymour Pierce, who are in charge of finding a new buyer for Newcastle, over securing a potential £300m deal.

Cleland's interest in Newcastle was made public this month, only to be discredited when three South African billionaires, Johann Rupert, Brian Joffe and Vivian Imerman, who were also said to be involved in the consortium, stated they had no interest in buying out the current owner, Mike Ashley.

The Cleland bid also took a knock from Keith Harris, the chairman of Seymour Pierce, who described it this week as not being a "serious" offer, but Cleland insists the takeover attempt is genuine - and having spent the past week in South Africa shoring up investment, claims to be in a position to move on to the St James' Park board with immediate effect.

"We're hopeful of still doing a deal for Newcastle United very soon," Cleland told the Guardian, although he was unwilling to discuss who else was part of the consortium.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/oct/18/premierleague-newcastleunited

While Harris admitted he had spoken to parties from South Africa and Nigeria, he confirmed that none had met the essential criteria to be considered serious bidders to buy the club from Ashley.

looks to me like Clenand is singing from a different songsheet to Harris unless the South African connection is Clenand and he isnt using it as part of a consortium bid .

It's not like players weren't moved/bought against the wishes of previous managers under ShepHall... allegedly.

sorry if I changed the entire thread all on my own without anybody else jumping in

sorry if I changed the entire thread all on my own without anybody else jumping in

It's not like you to worry about sidetracking a thread.  Funny how it happens when someone raises that difficult to answer subject of Shepherd interfering in transfers though.

I have to admit t having switched off from everything over the last few days.

Was last night the deadline for bids or did that get changed again ?

There never was a deadline according to Harris iirc.  Same goes with the £450m asking price -- simply made up.

It's not like you to worry about sidetracking a thread.  Funny how it happens when someone raises that difficult to answer subject of Shepherd interfering in transfers though.

we didn't see any managers resign over this alleged interference did we ?

Absolutely no criticism of Shepherd must pass by unchallenged. That seems to be the NE5 Code. Not even the tiniest thing. You could say our former chairman had a poor taste in ties and he'd be on here like a flash, demanding to know if the ties of Doug Ellis, Ken Bates or Peter Risdale were really any better, pointing out that some clubs are so small their chairmen can't even afford ties, complaining that you never see Ashley wearing a tie, and asserting that anyone who thinks about ties must not agree that our glorious achievements in the Intertoto are the envy of bare-necked football fans throughout the land.

:lol:

So as long as the manager doesn't resign then interference is ok?  Or are you saying that it was the managers that were really at fault for not resigning?

Just got this off Newcastle blog dont know how reliable it is but its inciteful on prospective buyers if its the actual ones or speculating ,who knows but hopefully we can find out a bit more in the next few days .

Announcement Of Newcastle Buyer Getting Closer

October 18th, 2008 by Ed Harrison · 17 Comments

There are still seven parties officially interested in buying Newcastle United, but only three have shown evidence that they are in a financial position to significantly improve the famous Tyneside club.

Those are large consortiums that according to Keith Harris, Chairman of Seymour Pierce investment Bank, who are handling the sale for Newcastle and Mike Ashley, are based in the United States, the Middle East, and the Far East.

The three are said to be ready to bid around £300M for the club that Ashley has paid £245M for over the last 15 months. That would give Ashley a £55M profit or just over 22% on the deal. A good deal by any standards.

South African Jonathan Cleland is said to remain hopeful of doing a deal for Newcastle United with a group of South African businessmen but earlier this week Harris said there had been no serious bids from either Nigeria or South Africa.

We have no idea who the American interest is, but a couple of years ago a Polygon backed St James’ Park Group were said to be interested in buying the club. With the terrible state of the banking system in the US, we’d be surprised if a US based consortium had the money right now to buy the club.

The Middle East buyers could one from quite a few parties who have expressed an interest, but a prominent one is Kuwait tycoon Nasser Kharafi, the 48th richest man in the world.  Nasser Al Kharafi and his company controls the exclusive Arab franchises for KFC, Wimpy, TGI Fridays, Cadbury’s, Pizza Hut and Saint Cinnamon.

As far as the Far East interest goes, we have been linked with Chinese property billionaire Xu Rongmao, who is reported to have plans to expand St James’ Park and redevelop the surrounding area. There are 10 billionaires in China, and he is one of them. Xu is the chairman of the Shimao Group, which controls land in America, and builds luxury real estate projects.

We were led to believe yesterday by Joe Kinnear, who got his information from Managing Director Kevin Llambias that Friday was the date when all bids were expected to be placed for Newcastle, and that it was an important day in the sale of the club. We hope what Joe says is true because it would mean the sale is moving ahead quite well.

We assume the next step is that we’ll hear from Keith Harris, as to who the winning consortium is.

If we can get that information within the next week say, it will remove lots of uncertainty surrounding the club, and then we’ll need to hear from the new owners as to who they want as their new permanent manager, and what their long term (and short term) strategy for the club is.

If that can be done withing the next week the sale should be completed, following five or six weeks of due diligence, by the early December timeframe, and we’ll be ready to invest in the transfer market in January, which promises to be an exciting time for Newcastle fans everywhere.

And hopefully the club will be on an upward spiral once again - and that would be very good.

Absolutely no criticism of Shepherd must pass by unchallenged. That seems to be the NE5 Code. Not even the tiniest thing. You could say our former chairman had a poor taste in ties and he'd be on here like a flash, demanding to know if the ties of Doug Ellis, Ken Bates or Peter Risdale were really any better, pointing out that some clubs are so small their chairmen can't even afford ties, complaining that you never see Ashley wearing a tie, and asserting that anyone who thinks about ties must not agree that our glorious achievements in the Intertoto are the envy of bare-necked football fans throughout the land.

don't respond to questions posed to Ozzie like "what do you think of a manager who won 4 league titles and 3 manager of the year awards" [when saying that Ramos is a quality manager for winning 2 UEFA Cups] seems to the Ozzie code.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=56960.msg1533051#msg1533051

What I would really like to know, is if he has emailed his favourite london journo to complain about Newcastle United again, and if not, why not ?

Surely its nothing to do with a an agenda against our ex board who gave us the best 15 years of the last 50 and their first successors are getting nowhere near them and don't look like they ever will ?

Once again, I've changed this thread all on my own  :coolsmiley:

:lol:

So as long as the manager doesn't resign then interference is ok?  Or are you saying that it was the managers that were really at fault for not resigning?

Who knows. If they didn't complain at the time, then it didn't happen enought to piss them off, or they don't have the principles of Keegan ? I'm sure they were all happy with the backing they got though, wouldn't you agree ?

Here is the latest from the Sunday Sin ,seems like the Nigerians are gobbing off again .

Hou’s next Newcastle boss?

Oct 19 2008 by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

GERARD HOULLIER and Sven-Goran Eriksson are set to be sounded out about the chance to manage Newcastle United under new ownership.

A Nigerian consortium are pondering whether to confirm the seriousness of their interest in the Magpies by passing their passports and bank documents over to the Premier League for inspection this week.

And the Sunday Sun understands that, having proved they are genuine bidders for Newcastle, the Lagos-based businessmen would then continue sounding out potential new United managers . . .

With Houllier and possibly Eriksson featuring on their list.

The Nigerians have been angered by the sceptical reaction to news of their interest in buying the Magpies, despite having first approached Mike Ashley about a deal more than two months ago.

But the consortium — who remain anonymous amid fears of a backlash from fellow Nigerians angry at the prospect of them investing in English football — are still considering making Ashley an offer of around £300 million.

And, having already spoken to Kevin Keegan, Paul Ince and Frank Rijkaard as they consider potential managerial targets, they see former Liverpool boss Houllier as a possible short-term appointment, with Mexico coach Eriksson also on their radar.

Just got this off Newcastle blog dont know how reliable it is but its inciteful on prospective buyers if its the actual ones or speculating ,who knows but hopefully we can find out a bit more in the next few days .

There are still seven parties officially interested in buying Newcastle United, but only three have shown evidence that they are in a financial position to significantly improve the famous Tyneside club.

Those are large consortiums that according to Keith Harris, Chairman of Seymour Pierce investment Bank, who are handling the sale for Newcastle and Mike Ashley, are based in the United States, the Middle East, and the Far East.

The three are said to be ready to bid around £300M for the club that Ashley has paid £245M for over the last 15 months. That would give Ashley a £55M profit or just over 22% on the deal. A good deal by any standards.

South African Jonathan Cleland is said to remain hopeful of doing a deal for Newcastle United with a group of South African businessmen but earlier this week Harris said there had been no serious bids from either Nigeria or South Africa.

We have no idea who the American interest is, but a couple of years ago a Polygon backed St James’ Park Group were said to be interested in buying the club. With the terrible state of the banking system in the US, we’d be surprised if a US based consortium had the money right now to buy the club.

The Middle East buyers could one from quite a few parties who have expressed an interest, but a prominent one is Kuwait tycoon Nasser Kharafi, the 48th richest man in the world.  Nasser Al Kharafi and his company controls the exclusive Arab franchises for KFC, Wimpy, TGI Fridays, Cadbury’s, Pizza Hut and Saint Cinnamon.

As far as the Far East interest goes, we have been linked with Chinese property billionaire Xu Rongmao, who is reported to have plans to expand St James’ Park and redevelop the surrounding area. There are 10 billionaires in China, and he is one of them. Xu is the chairman of the Shimao Group, which controls land in America, and builds luxury real estate projects.

We were led to believe yesterday by Joe Kinnear, who got his information from Managing Director Kevin Llambias that Friday was the date when all bids were expected to be placed for Newcastle, and that it was an important day in the sale of the club. We hope what Joe says is true because it would mean the sale is moving ahead quite well.

We assume the next step is that we’ll hear from Keith Harris, as to who the winning consortium is.

If we can get that information within the next week say, it will remove lots of uncertainty surrounding the club, and then we’ll need to hear from the new owners as to who they want as their new permanent manager, and what their long term (and short term) strategy for the club is.

If that can be done withing the next week the sale should be completed, following five or six weeks of due diligence, by the early December timeframe, and we’ll be ready to invest in the transfer market in January, which promises to be an exciting time for Newcastle fans everywhere.

And hopefully the club will be on an upward spiral once again - and that would be very good.

It was alluded to in the article about Sir Bob that Harris was going to make an important announcement this week over the sale of the club, but nothing more. I think they've been a bit inventive.

Guest johnson293

We have no idea who the American interest is, but a couple of years ago a Polygon backed St James Park Group were said to be interested in buying the club. With the terrible state of the banking system in the US, wed be surprised if a US based consortium had the money right now to buy the club.

The Middle East buyers could one from quite a few parties who have expressed an interest, but a prominent one is Kuwait tycoon Nasser Kharafi, the 48th richest man in the world.  Nasser Al Kharafi and his company controls the exclusive Arab franchises for KFC, Wimpy, TGI Fridays, Cadburys, Pizza Hut and Saint Cinnamon.

As far as the Far East interest goes, we have been linked with Chinese property billionaire Xu Rongmao, who is reported to have plans to expand St James Park and redevelop the surrounding area. There are 10 billionaires in China, and he is one of them. Xu is the chairman of the Shimao Group, which controls land in America, and builds luxury real estate projects.

We assume the next step is that well hear from Keith Harris, as to who the winning consortium is.

If we can get that information within the next week say, it will remove lots of uncertainty surrounding the club, and then well need to hear from the new owners as to who they want as their new permanent manager, and what their long term (and short term) strategy for the club is.

If that can be done withing the next week the sale should be completed, following five or six weeks of due diligence, by the early December timeframe, and well be ready to invest in the transfer market in January, which promises to be an exciting time for Newcastle fans everywhere.

It was alluded to in the article about Sir Bob that Harris was going to make an important announcement this week over the sale of the club, but nothing more. I think they've been a bit inventive.

That just looks like a rehash of all the recent media speculation and quotes from Harris.

And it doesn't even get our MD's name right!!