Newcastle United Supporters Club

peasepud
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Then he pulls a Doug Ellis and haunts SJP through cycles of promotion and relegation for 30 years, skulking about in the shadows, wearing half a mask and playing organ music at night.

While breeding blind white rats in a desk drawer.

They may have started with good intentions but I think they will be p!ssing into the wind.  Newcastle fans are no longer a collective.  They are a mass of individuals.  Long gone are the days when they all stood side by side singing their hearts out for the team.  Too many are hapy ripping into others opinions and as for boycotting spending at the ground, what a joke.  Obviously there were a lot of people there on Tuesday who simply cant deny themself a pint before kick off.  Their entitlement of course, but another example of demonstrations fading fast.

They may have started with good intentions but I think they will be p!ssing into the wind.  Newcastle fans are no longer a collective.  They are a mass of individuals.  Long gone are the days when they all stood side by side singing their hearts out for the team.  Too many are hapy ripping into others opinions and as for boycotting spending at the ground, what a joke.  Obviously there were a lot of people there on Tuesday who simply cant deny themself a pint before kick off.  Their entitlement of course, but another example of demonstrations fading fast.

Not sure what point you're making there man, surely any set of fans will have their own opinions and debate amongst themselves - that's healthy. And those who don't want to support the protests would be expected to 'not deny themselves a pint', by which I assume you mean continue as normal. I don't get it.

So?

The article you are all referring to is not a valid representation of what went on at the meeting. Heres my version of events, anyone else who was there is welcome to challenge them or back them as they see fit. Its right what other fans say about us all here, we're all too willing to believe the press when it suits us and dismiss it out of hand when it doesnt. In the case of some, when it comes to the NUSC they will ignore any good thats reported and jump on the possible negatives.

The meeting was held in the Irish Club last night, that much he did get right.

MEMBERS of a new Toon supporters’ club have vowed to keep up a boycott to force chairman Mike Ashley out

partially correct. What was agreed by the members there (and dont forget this is actual members not the interim committee mking these decisions) was that we would write an open letter to Mike Ashley asking him for talks. An olive branch as someone on here has already put it, a chance for him to meet with us and discuss whats happening, what the best way forward is and how he, and the fans can make this work. He wants to sell, the fans want him to sell but until he does then we all need to make the club stable.

What was also agreed however was that if he refused to meet and speak to the fans then there would be no other option but to continue with the boycott and look to increase it. Again, this was agreed by the majority of those there. It was NOT a unanimous vote but it was view of the vast majority. In that majority were people who had previously spoke out against the boycott, questioned its worth and how it was to carry on. The discussions that followed and the agreement to seek talks had them agreeing fully to the plan.

NUSC spokesman Michael Teasdale said: “We need to show any future owner that we can either be his best friend or his worst enemy. We need to show we’re here to work with them, but also to show what kind of damage we can do if they treat us badly.

What a terribly written report this is! That quote has gained the reaction it was designed to, get people believing that its a quote from our spokesman to the press. It wasnt.

During the discussions that sentence was uttered by Michael but it was in a discussion, it was his own personal view and does not represent the views of the club, it is not a valid NUSC statement. Its his own personal view said during a private members meeting. A view that was not shared by the next committee member to speak or the one after that (which was me). It is however a perfectly valid view and whether I agree or disagree with the view we both have the same understanding "its only the view of the NUSC if the members decide it is"

Mick Martin also said something along the lines of what hes quoted but its not correct word for word, one simple word has been changed which makes a vast difference to the statement "Its the whole point of this action to pressure Ashley to sell". One word which when changed to club totally changes the statement.

I've said it once and I'll say it a thousand times if I have to, the NUSC is NOT a pressure group, it WAS set up in response to a crisis and it was set up that way because EVERY single one of the 250+ NUFC fan at the original meeting for its formation agreed that its early aims were to pressurise Ashley. What more could be done? we set it up and followed the wishes of those that turned up for the inaugural (sic?) meeting,  following those wishes until we could gauge the feeling of the fans again. That was done last night. Yes, we've made mistakes so far but who doesnt when you get a dozen people together with strong views on something that they believe in and have passion for in the way every Newcastle fan does.

The rest of the article is factually correct however not enough has been made of the other stuff. The discussions around how money would be raised and spent. The talk of organising discounts for members and the planning of proper members nights with talk ins and entertainment etc. Things that a proper supporters club do. There also was no mention of the reading out of an email from someone seeking guidance on whether he should cancel his Direct Debit and how it was stated from the top table that to do that was not recommended and how we would not recommend that action to anyone, its not worth their while getting the bad credit. It didnt even bother to mention that we have already sent condolences to the family of the Sunderland fan that died on Saturday. Little things that are done by a supporters club to help raise the profile of NUFC supporters with the general community and other fans etc

So basically yes, an article that focusses wrongly on one aspect of what was a good first proper meeting, a meeting that frankly showed to those that were there that we are not simply a pressure group and which affirmed (imho) the fact that this can work and we can have a group to be proud of.

Cheers for the update peasepud, but all you've really done is confirm that they did say what has been reported :dontknow:

If Michael said it, then he said it.  He's put himself in the position of fans spokeman, so he should have more nous than to be saying things he doesn't want reported.

Every aspect of the communication coming from NUSC still leaves a bad taste, whether it be every time they say something themselves via their website or via the press.

A bit like the football club really ???

Then Liam you have clearly missed the point.

A members meeting is there to debate views, are you seriously saying that a member of the committee should not put forward his views for fear of someone reporting them? Its a personal view, I have mine, you have yours. As long as I dont say mine are representative of the NUSC then its fine for me to have them.

Michael can have personal views that all the board should be shot with shit for all I care, if the members dont agree them then it aint going to happen and they arent going to be reported as being a view of the NUSC.

So?

Good luck to NUSC but with regard to the short term protests or boycotting of club merchandise, there is not enough will.  We already have people willing to forget the damage caused if Ashley says 'sorry'.  Unbelievable.

Then Liam you have clearly missed the point.

A members meeting is there to debate views, are you seriously saying that a member of the committee should not put forward his views for fear of someone reporting them? Its a personal view, I have mine, you have yours. As long as I dont say mine are representative of the NUSC then its fine for me to have them.

Michael can have personal views that all the board should be shot with shit for all I care, if the members dont agree them then it aint going to happen and they arent going to be reported as being a view of the NUSC.

No mate I'm only saying that in his position as spokesperson he shouldn't be surprised to have what he says/thinks reported, even if it is only his opinion.

I think it's about learning to use the press/media/website effectively which isn't happening at the minute.

OK. I'd still suggest he has been mis-represented. The article should have stated that it was his own personal view, and not the view of the SC overall. Poor journalism and also pretty poor that some folk seem keen to poke holes in anything they can, to devalue the SC.

OK. I'd still suggest he has been mis-represented. The article should have stated that it was his own personal view, and not the view of the SC overall. Poor journalism and also pretty poor that some folk seem keen to poke holes in anything they can, to devalue the SC.

With respect, when does that ever happen? :lol:

Its not poking holes, he said it, they reported it.  It's something I'd like to think the NUSC will learn from though, as well as improving their communication via their website.

This is a fantastic opportunity, which is being badly handled/coordinated at the minute, but will hopefully improve over the coming months.  I'm not sure setting out an open list of demands to Ashley is the way to go about things though.

He has a responsilibty to be careful with his words, like anyone else who represents an organisation at a high level. Surely?

That's a poor article, which like PP says is only focussing on one issue. The current situation is only the catalyst for NUSC's formation. I feel it's something that has been needed for a long time.

My reasons for joining NUSC lie in part with the anger at what's been happening at NUFC, but only partly. If it was merely a short-term, one issue, anti-Ashley pressure group I'm not sure that I'd be as enthusiastic about it than I am, because I want to be part of something long term, an organisation that is inclusive of all NUFC fans of all views, and there at all times, good and bad.

However, NUSC has to deal with the issues that arise, and right now, Mike Ashley is a big issue that we have to deal with, so, for the time being, it is going to dominate precedings, and I support that.

When the boycott was discussed last night, there were people with different opinions, and although I'm still in favour of it, there were people who argued that maybe the time for the boycott had gone, and they made some good and valid points. I think that the boycott definitely has lost a lot of momentum, but I don't think we should give up on it. We need to remind people of it. No, we won't get a 100% total boycott, but we do need to make people aware that the situation is still desperate.

Ashley's said he'll sell, but things haven't really progressed. He's not going to spend any money on the club, and if he's still here come January, then we really could find ourselves up sh*t creek. Each day that he remains as owner of NUFC is another day that the club remains in limbo.

People have said, and some members last night said "what impression does it give to prospective new owners" if we continue with the boycott, but what impression does it give them if we don't continue?

It says, well ultimately we'll be upset, shout and moan a bit, but it'll die down and stop.

Something NUSC has never said is that we'll 'threaten' new owners. The message that we want to give to any potential new owners is that, we want a good relationship between the club and the fans. We want to work with you build a club that listens to and respects the fans, and that the supporters and community can be genuinely proud of. All we ask is that you respect the club and it's supporters.

Something that's been mentioned, that I hope will happen is that the NUSC website will have summaries of the points and views discussed at NUSC meetings - both general and committee meetings. Michael (Teasdale) also mentioned this in the short Finance and Admin meeting we had after the main meeting.

As I've said several times, I want NUSC to be inclusive of all NUFC fans. It's not a 'superfan' thing. We all have different views, but we all care about NUFC and we all have the right to express them. I want people of all views to come and join us and tell us their views. It's the views of the members that will shape the direction of the club.

Very reasoned posts by Tom and peaspud I have to say, if you conduct yourselves like that in future no NUFC fan can have many complaints.

Obviously we should have learned to take any media reporting with a massive pinch of salt.

All I would say following from that is, if you don't want people to take the papers' reports at face value it is absolutely essential that the NUSC has a credible, professional website that carries clear communications as soon as possible after each meeting. Then we can know what to believe.

Very reasoned posts by Tom and peaspud I have to say, if you conduct yourselves like that in future no NUFC fan can have many complaints.

Obviously we should have learned to take any media reporting with a massive pinch of salt.

All I would say following from that is, if you don't want people to take the papers' reports at face value it is absolutely essential that the NUSC has a credible, professional website that carries clear communications as soon as possible after each meeting. Then we can know what to believe.

IMO it is only a matter of time. :thup:

So we shouldn't complain, because they're doing something, even if we disagree with what they're doing? I really don't get your point here.

This idea that "doing something" is automatically better than "not doing something" is totally moronic.

Both right, I've been saying for ages that doing 'anything' isn't always better than doing nothing - in fact this is a prime example of how hasty action can be harmful.

"There are risks and costs to action. But they are far less than the long range risks of comfortable inaction." - JFK (the other one)

If you don't like what NUSC are doing, get yourself along to the meetings and have your say. If there were only 50 there, you'd have had an excellent opportunity to put your point across. I don't think they're expressing themselves particularly well, and in the short term I don't think any kind of protest or boycott will make any difference one way or the other. I'm sure in the future I'll disagree with a lot of their objectives, but I'm not going to sit here and criticise them for standing up and at least attempting to put across a consensus opinion and initiate some action.

I've said it before, but if you're so convinced Ashley is selling up because of protests, start your own group up to show him the level of support he has. You're not going to persuade him to stay just by sniping and whining on the internet about other people getting off their arse and acting on their beliefs.

Its not about supporting Ashley or wanting him to stay necessarily. It's more about the downright ignorance these so-called spokespeople have displayed, and I for one, frankly, do not wish to be tarred with the same brush. They DO NOT represent Newcastle United fans, yet that's what the media will pick up on. Just exactly what they need: more "loudmouth over-expectant dilusional Geordies" to take the piss out of

NUSC: STRIVING FOR POSITIVE CHANGE

That above is the club's initials and its mission statement. So will it still be striving for positive change when say we get a new buyer, a top class manager, start finishing in the top 4 and win the UEFA Cup and FA Cup in successive years?

That's bollox imo. The very first supporters club's mission statement should be to support Newcastle United.

Yet more evidence that this is NOTHING but a self-aggrandizing lobby group.

He has a responsilibty to be careful with his words, like anyone else who represents an organisation at a high level. Surely?

Someone needs PR training before they are in a position to apparently speak for the majority.