Newcastle United Supporters Club

peasepud
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Am I right in thinking that NUSC are asking us not to believe the press yet they base a boycott around press reports?   :rolleyes:

That doesnt even make any sense and you know it.

It sort of does actually, as all our information, apart from 2 statement are reports in the media.

Anyway, someone needs to set up a fake sports direct email and like [email protected] and get in contact with NUSC, set up an interview by email, even pretend to offer NUSC a position on the board, perhaps on the basis that they stop the campaign.

That would be funny wouldnt it.....

Before the Hull City game when they were lobbying I was offered one of their leaflets. I always refuse flyers offered to me in town as they do little more than create a huge litter problem.

When I politely declined the leaflet one of the people in the photo in the Chronicle (i'm pretty sure it was he) said "so you're not a Newcastle supporter then". That made me really angry but sums up the bullying attitude they seemed to adopt in the begining.

Now they realise that virtually no one is interested in their Cockney mafia out and pie boycott agenda ( a turn out of 50 ffs) they are adopting a more humble approach.

I think they will fade away before long.

Before the Hull City game when they were lobbying I was offered one of their leaflets. I always refuse flyers offered to me in town as they do little more than create a huge litter problem.

This is created by people who chuck litter on the ground not the people dishing out flyers. Bit like Wrigleys are not to blame for City Centre pavements having black circles all over them.

There's only one quote in that (shit) article though, and it doesn't even go close to saying what the headline and introduction imply.

Can you really not see the link between that headline

Fans’ leaders issue warning to Ashley

and that direct quote

NUSC spokesman Michael Teasdale said: “We need to show we’re here to work with them, but also to show what kind of damage we can do if they treat us badly. We need to show any future owner we can either be his best friend or his worst enemy.”

Was a bit parched on Tuesday so as a pal was off to the bog I said get me a bottle pop I gave him £2, when he came back I owed him 10p (which I have not paid)!!!

I am sure it was £1.80 last season. We need to stop buying this shit because the bastards are taking the fucking piss more than any thing else.

Was a bit parched on Tuesday so as a pal was off to the bog I said get me a bottle pop I gave him £2, when he came back I owed him 10p (which I have not paid)!!!

I am sure it was £1.80 last season. We need to stop buying this shit because the bastards are taking the fucking piss more than any thing else.

That money goes to the club and towards paying Owen's wages, not Ashley though. If you want to hurt Ashley directly I suppose boycotting Sports Direct would be the way to go. I was in the Metro Centre last week and it didn't look like it was being boycotted though. The place was absolutely heaving.

I am sure it was £1.80 last season. We need to stop buying this s*** because the bastards are taking the f***ing piss more than any thing else.

That money goes to the club and towards paying Owen's wages, not Ashley though. If you want to hurt Ashley directly I suppose boycotting Sports Direct would be the way to go. I was in the Metro Centre last week and it didn't look like it was being boycotted though. The place was absolutely heaving.

I dont give a fuck where it goes I wont be paying £2.10 for a bottle of pop regardless if Mike Ashley or any other fucker is in charge.

I am sure it was £1.80 last season. We need to stop buying this s*** because the bastards are taking the f***ing piss more than any thing else.

I dont give a fuck where it goes I wont be paying £2.10 for a bottle of pop regardless if Mike Ashley or any other fucker is in charge.

It's a pricey bottle of pop that's for sure. The football boots at Sports Direct are very reasonable though.

I dont give a f*** where it goes I wont be paying £2.10 for a bottle of pop regardless if Mike Ashley or any other fucker is in charge.

It's a pricey bottle of pop that's for sure. The football boots at Sports Direct are very reasonable though.

The boots are, even better were the 99p Umbro footballs (2 per customer MAX) which were all gone by the time I browsed in.

So we shouldn't complain, because they're doing something, even if we disagree with what they're doing? I really don't get your point here.

This idea that "doing something" is automatically better than "not doing something" is totally moronic.

Both right, I've been saying for ages that doing 'anything' isn't always better than doing nothing - in fact this is a prime example of how hasty action can be harmful.

"There are risks and costs to action. But they are far less than the long range risks of comfortable inaction." - JFK (the other one)

If you don't like what NUSC are doing, get yourself along to the meetings and have your say. If there were only 50 there, you'd have had an excellent opportunity to put your point across. I don't think they're expressing themselves particularly well, and in the short term I don't think any kind of protest or boycott will make any difference one way or the other. I'm sure in the future I'll disagree with a lot of their objectives, but I'm not going to sit here and criticise them for standing up and at least attempting to put across a consensus opinion and initiate some action.

I've said it before, but if you're so convinced Ashley is selling up because of protests, start your own group up to show him the level of support he has. You're not going to persuade him to stay just by sniping and whining on the internet about other people getting off their arse and acting on their beliefs.

Its not about supporting Ashley or wanting him to stay necessarily. It's more about the downright ignorance these so-called spokespeople have displayed, and I for one, frankly, do not wish to be tarred with the same brush. They DO NOT represent Newcastle United fans, yet that's what the media will pick up on. Just exactly what they need: more "loudmouth over-expectant dilusional Geordies" to take the piss out of

this is the sort of comment that makes no sense, nor is it true at all, and it applies to numerous occasions over the years too. Nobody thinks they represent the views of all NUFC fans. Nobody also "takes the piss" out of Newcastle United any more than any other club, in fact, if anything, its a lot less.

The world doesn't revolve around phone ins and internet message boards. Yet people go on these phone ins, listen to them, go onto message boards and see people taking the piss. Its the nature of the beast and means fuck all.

JOurnalists in London etc have always, always found something to snipe at Newcastle United for - and other clubs. They always will.

If we weren't having a hard time - and when we weren't - they still criticised the club for having a shit defence that "threw away the league" and other such bollocks.  Fans all over the country laugh at manu gloryseeking supporters, I do, yet deep down if you said you weren't jealous of their success [and support accordingly] you'd be lying. If anything, the success that puts you more in the public eye only fuels this jealousy. At the end of the day, get into europe, sign top players, get you're own fans behind you, and what else matters ?

OK. I'd still suggest he has been mis-represented. The article should have stated that it was his own personal view, and not the view of the SC overall. Poor journalism and also pretty poor that some folk seem keen to poke holes in anything they can, to devalue the SC.

He has a responsilibty to be careful with his words, like anyone else who represents an organisation at a high level. Surely?

Someone needs PR training before they are in a position to apparently speak for the majority.

as has been said, they need a website to put out the view of the organisation so there can't be any misinterpretation. Having said that, speaking like this in public will take practice, its not a thing you become expert at overnight.

They DO NOT represent Newcastle United fans,[/b] yet that's what the media will pick up on. Just exactly what they need: more "loudmouth over-expectant dilusional Geordies" to take the piss out of

Bang on they represent Newcastle United Supporters Club & its members. As for the rest of your point........aye the media have been struggling for a Geordie voice: Steve Wraith, Mark Jenson, Frankie G, Kevin Miles, Alan Oliver, a load of x-players, few thousand people outside St James Park when something happens &  shoppers around Greys Monument as a last resort.

So we shouldn't complain, because they're doing something, even if we disagree with what they're doing? I really don't get your point here.

This idea that "doing something" is automatically better than "not doing something" is totally moronic.

Both right, I've been saying for ages that doing 'anything' isn't always better than doing nothing - in fact this is a prime example of how hasty action can be harmful.

"There are risks and costs to action. But they are far less than the long range risks of comfortable inaction." - JFK (the other one)

If you don't like what NUSC are doing, get yourself along to the meetings and have your say. If there were only 50 there, you'd have had an excellent opportunity to put your point across. I don't think they're expressing themselves particularly well, and in the short term I don't think any kind of protest or boycott will make any difference one way or the other. I'm sure in the future I'll disagree with a lot of their objectives, but I'm not going to sit here and criticise them for standing up and at least attempting to put across a consensus opinion and initiate some action.

I've said it before, but if you're so convinced Ashley is selling up because of protests, start your own group up to show him the level of support he has. You're not going to persuade him to stay just by sniping and whining on the internet about other people getting off their arse and acting on their beliefs.

Its not about supporting Ashley or wanting him to stay necessarily. It's more about the downright ignorance these so-called spokespeople have displayed, and I for one, frankly, do not wish to be tarred with the same brush. They DO NOT represent Newcastle United fans, yet that's what the media will pick up on. Just exactly what they need: more "loudmouth over-expectant dilusional Geordies" to take the piss out of

this is the sort of comment that makes no sense, nor is it true at all, and it applies to numerous occasions over the years too. Nobody thinks they represent the views of all NUFC fans. Nobody also "takes the piss" out of Newcastle United any more than any other club, in fact, if anything, its a lot less.

The world doesn't revolve around phone ins and internet message boards. Yet people go on these phone ins, listen to them, go onto message boards and see people taking the piss. Its the nature of the beast and means fuck all.

JOurnalists in London etc have always, always found something to snipe at Newcastle United for - and other clubs. They always will.

If we weren't having a hard time - and when we weren't - they still criticised the club for having a shit defence that "threw away the league" and other such bollocks.  Fans all over the country laugh at manu gloryseeking supporters, I do, yet deep down if you said you weren't jealous of their success [and support accordingly] you'd be lying. If anything, the success that puts you more in the public eye only fuels this jealousy. At the end of the day, get into europe, sign top players, get you're own fans behind you, and what else matters ?

Do you not agree with the following

Steve Wraith

NUFC.com

Alan Oliver

Being accepted outside of Newcastle United fans as being a representative voice of what is going on at the club?

Steve and Alan are often on national radio and TV and are always introduced as if they are the final word on what is going on inside the club or what the fans believe. NUFC.com struck gold with the domain name and rightly or wrongly are noted as being the 'official unoffical' website of the club.

Now somebody claiming to be a spokesperson of the Newcastle United Supporters Club, how is that going to be reported within the media - my hunch is that given the chance the press will jump at tagging this group as the new power representative of the fans (despite only 50 people turning up to their latest meeting - put that in context, in the 3 villages surrounding where I live there is a population of less than 2,000 people, more than 500 turned up to protest against a mine being reopened, the %s don't even compare).

The sentiment in the rest of your post I agree with

They DO NOT represent Newcastle United fans,[/b] yet that's what the media will pick up on. Just exactly what they need: more "loudmouth over-expectant dilusional Geordies" to take the piss out of

Bang on they represent Newcastle United Supporters Club & its members. As for the rest of your point........aye the media have been struggling for a Geordie voice: Steve Wraith, Mark Jenson, Frankie G, Kevin Miles, Alan Oliver, a load of x-players, few thousand people outside St James Park when something happens &  shoppers around Greys Monument as a last resort.

I answered this too mate........just so there is no confusion, personally I totally agree with their initial motivation which is to get Ashley out - although once again we have absolutely no idea who will take over and could be worse - but I want him out because I think he's the wrong man for the club, nothing to do with Keegan leaving which lauched all of this.

What happens later, who knows. Ashley will go when it suits him though or ie when he gets the offer he wants or when he's desperate to get rid.

Steve Wraith

NUFC.com

Alan Oliver

Being accepted outside of Newcastle United fans as being a representative voice of what is going on at the club?

Steve and Alan are often on national radio and TV and are always introduced as if they are the final word on what is going on inside the club or what the fans believe. NUFC.com struck gold with the domain name and rightly or wrongly are noted as being the 'official unoffical' website of the club.

Now somebody claiming to be a spokesperson of the Newcastle United Supporters Club, how is that going to be reported within the media - my hunch is that given the chance the press will jump at tagging this group as the new power representative of the fans (despite only 50 people turning up to their latest meeting - put that in context, in the 3 villages surrounding where I live there is a population of less than 2,000 people, more than 500 turned up to protest against a mine being reopened, the %s don't even compare).

I realise they will give the impression that they are speaking for all supporters - I've discussed this with Dave with ref to Frank Gilmour - you can't help if the press give this impression, but they should where possible say they are only speaking for the organisation. People who read general press coverage will think all supporters will be of this mindset, thats natural - its not right, but its a natural thought process.

What strikes me is they are now getting into the same areas where Malcolm Dix campaigned for years, maybe without realising it, and like most supporters at the time, I personally fully agreed with him ie main agenda was to get rid of a shite board.

Edit. Oliver, being the local journo for the biggest paper in the area - most certainly despite the flak he gets, be representative of the feelings in the city. Sometimes he prints rubbish, like all of them, but I don't think I've seen him say anything thats not a proper representation.

Steve Wraith

NUFC.com

Alan Oliver

I realise they will give the impression that they are speaking for all supporters - I've discussed this with Dave with ref to Frank Gilmour - you can't help if the press give this impression, but they should where possible say they are only speaking for the organisation. People who read general press coverage will think all supporters will be of this mindset, thats natural - its not right, but its a natural thought process.

What strikes me is they are now getting into the same areas where Malcolm Dix campaigned for years, maybe without realising it, and like most supporters at the time, I personally fully agreed with him ie main agenda was to get rid of a shite board.

The funny(?) thing is that I'd wager that the majority of fans still want rid of Ashley, maybe the depth of feeling is subsiding over time but even those of us who agreed in principle with where he was taking the club appreciate that his intentions here have failed (whether his primary motive was sustained organic growth or quick stabalisation and sale).

However, I'd also wager that within this majority the majority are dead set against the protests and boycotts as they are putting the club and fans in a bad light and in many ways devaluing the one major asset the club has - i.e. its support base.

Comments alluding to only supporting an owner if they do exactly what a small supporters group wants (and I doubt that at such a fledgling stage even the forerunners of the group are 100% sure what that is) will do nothing to someone looking at the club.

It may only be part of the picture an investor will look at, but if its an investor which is looking to take the club forward (a la SJH's days pre floatation - at which point the blueprint changed imo) then he will consider this to be a big black spot on the prospectus

Steve Wraith

NUFC.com

Alan Oliver

The funny(?) thing is that I'd wager that the majority of fans still want rid of Ashley, maybe the depth of feeling is subsiding over time but even those of us who agreed in principle with where he was taking the club appreciate that his intentions here have failed (whether his primary motive was sustained organic growth or quick stabalisation and sale).

However, I'd also wager that within this majority the majority are dead set against the protests and boycotts as they are putting the club and fans in a bad light and in many ways devaluing the one major asset the club has - i.e. its support base.

Comments alluding to only supporting an owner if they do exactly what a small supporters group wants (and I doubt that at such a fledgling stage even the forerunners of the group are 100% sure what that is) will do nothing to someone looking at the club.

It may only be part of the picture an investor will look at, but if its an investor which is looking to take the club forward (a la SJH's days pre floatation - at which point the blueprint changed imo) then he will consider this to be a big black spot on the prospectus

its difficult to know what to do for the best, I agree in principle with what you say. Someone interested in the club would be put off by the perception that if they don't do what a group of supporters want they will get flak, or if they aren't allowed to run the club the way they see fit they will get flak too.

Keegan shouldn't be made out to be a pre-condition of getting support from supporters, which may have been the case initially but is now probably subsiding.

Ashley has got the message. As people have pointed out, sportsdirect.com is still selling stuff like hot cakes so boycotting that isn't going to work. I was disappointed to see people buying food and beer from inside the ground, which is still going on.

We may have to wait for a drop in ticket sales to bring the sale about, hopefully not in conjunction with a relegation.

I'm not sure that the majority do want Ashley out because they want him out specifically.  I think the majority just want the club run in a professional manner and they want the club to start moving forwards again.  The last 4 months have been shit and people want an end to that and don't think Ashley can change his position and get the club back on a good footing.  If he's in a position where he has to stay then to do that he's got to win over the trust of the fans, that isn't an option for him, it's a must do.

I'm not sure that the majority do want Ashley out because they want him out specifically.  I think the majority just want the club run in a professional manner and they want the club to start moving forwards again.  The last 4 months have been shit and people want an end to that and don't think Ashley can change his position and get the club back on a good footing.  If he's in a position where he has to stay then to do that he's got to win over the trust of the fans, that isn't an option for him, it's a must do.

the club had been run in a "professional manner" for years. They backed their managers and tried all the time to improve the squad and team with players - like Villa are doing now - and had more to show for it than most. Its only those who are "embarrassed" by a load of bollocks that didn't accept it.

:idiot2:

the club had been run in a "professional manner" for years. They backed their managers and tried all the time to improve the squad and team with players - like Villa are doing now - and had more to show for it than most. Its only those who are "embarrassed" by a load of bollocks that didn't accept it.

:idiot2:

Are you trying to get another thread locked?

Steve Wraith

NUFC.com

Alan Oliver

its difficult to know what to do for the best, I agree in principle with what you say. Someone interested in the club would be put off by the perception that if they don't do what a group of supporters want they will get flak, or if they aren't allowed to run the club the way they see fit they will get flak too.

Keegan shouldn't be made out to be a pre-condition of getting support from supporters, which may have been the case initially but is now probably subsiding.

Ashley has got the message. As people have pointed out, sportsdirect.com is still selling stuff like hot cakes so boycotting that isn't going to work. I was disappointed to see people buying food and beer from inside the ground, which is still going on.

We may have to wait for a drop in ticket sales to bring the sale about, hopefully not in conjunction with a relegation.

Wanting Ashley out is only part of the equation. For that to happen someone also has to want to buy the club. For me the big problem of the NUSC is that it will put off prospective buyers with their militant stance encouraging boycotts and the like.

There are no guarantees that we will be bought so creating antagonism is counter-productive in my view. Ashley IMO wants to sell, but if he's asking too high a price there won't be any buyers regardless of all the fuss the supporters make. Let the market run it's course I say.