Newcastle United Supporters Club

peasepud
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NUSC seeks meeting with Ashley over future of NUFC.

Newcastle United Supporters Club,

PO Box 621,

Newcastle upon Tyne,

NE5 9AD

30th October 2008.

Ref: Request for Update on the sale and future intentions towards Newcastle United FC

The Newcastle United Supporters Club (NUSC) is a newly constituted representative body. It has an established constitution and growing membership and is the only such representative organisation for Newcastle United supporters.

Supporters of the club are naturally extremely concerned regarding the current uncertainty and instability related to the intended sale of Newcastle United and extremely perturbed at media reports regarding the intentions towards. Further, we have great anxieties regarding the intentions of the clubs executive management in the forthcoming January transfer window and our prospects for maintaining our status as a Premier League club.

The purpose of this letter is to request a meeting with the clubs owner, Mike Ashley and the Managing Director, Derek Llambias as well as Keith Harris (Seymour Pierce) to seek an update regarding the progress regards the sale of Newcastle United FC. We are not seeking access to confidential commercially sensitive information but believe as a representative body for supporters we are entitled to a dialogue with the people who are currently pivotal to the future of the club we have all supported for many years.

We are proposing that three members of the NUSC Committee meet with Messrs Ashley, Llambias and Harris at the earliest convenience and would urge you to appreciate the concerns supporters, or your paying customers, have regards the strategic direction of Newcastle United going forward. In that sense we would ask that this meeting take place as soon as possible.

We do not believe it unreasonable to request that this meeting take place in Newcastle, though if necessary will travel to London or anywhere else in the UK if this is more agreeable to you. We would urge you to find a suitable date before the end of November 2008.

Please be assured details regarding any meetings arrangements will be treated in the strictest confidence and will not be disclosed to any media sources without your express consent. However, we will communicate the broad content with supporters following any meeting, which you will understand is part of our representative function.

I look forward to your speedy reply.

Malcolm Shiels, Chair, Newcastle United Supporters Club (NUSC)

[email protected]

:doh:

Roughly translated as "Please let us talk to you so we can find out when your fucking off"

Or "we think we're dead important so please pay us some attention."

Better.

Now that's the sort of thing the suporters club should be doing, trying to liaise with the management team and relaying info back to its members. Only then can constructive decisions be made on how to go forward.

Of course it is also Ashleys perogrative to tell them where to go, if he has made any interested party sign a confidentiality document then it is almost certain that he will be bound be the same clauses.

Its pretty simple really. The aim for NUSC should be to act in the best interests of the supporters of the club as a whole, same as the directors of a company have to. Not a small group with a blinkered agenda. Not having "change" as an aspect of its motto.

This should involve:

1. Helping to give a positive image of the fans as a whole, and the points made by above about doing good things in the community, letter to Sunderland fans family who lost life etc. are good steps in the right direction. You would expect a body like NUSC to be vocal about ensuring better ticket allocation, season ticket payment methods, opportunities for elderly/disabled fans etc.

2. Trying to guage the views of fans as a whole so they have some idea of the opinion of fans who can't attend the meetings, or who don't pay the membership fee, so they can direct their efforts accordingly. Surely a free to register internet poll or something can guage the views of fans better than 50 people at a meeting?

3. Ultimately engaging with discussions with whoever the club owners are to work together in the best interests of the club.

My problem with NUSC at the moment is that they don't seem to have a grasp on point 2 - the opinions are limited to those of the founding members I think, or the limited few who turn up to the meetings. There is no effort to guage the opinion of fans as a whole. Its all very well saying that if you don't agree, turn up to a meeting and voice an opinion, but in practice how many normal fans would be prepared to turn up in the Irish Club whilst 50 other fans are discussing how best to hurt Ashley (financially), and say "Hold on a second lads, can we just chat about whether this is really a good idea this whole I hate Mike thing?"

My second problem is with point 3. How can a group which has its stated aim as "change" and ousting Mike Ashley act in the best interests of supporters or indeed the club as a whole? What if the best thing for the club at any given time would be for Mike Ashley to remain in charge? What if the only interested buyer wishes to saddle the club with massive debt to finance the acquisition? What if the new owners aren't actually planning to put their own cash into the club? Those who snorted at Ashley's £20m a year pledge will be aware that Gillett/Hicks/Glaziers have not put in a penny of their own cash into the operating costs of the club.

I'm not saying the NUSC has to be pro-Ashley by any means, but to adopt such a blinkered approach to their agenda is damaging for both the club and the supporters.

:thup:

You've got it, that's exactly what NUSC should be doing if they want to be inclusive and not appear to be a group of people who have only one clear goal.

I wonder what the chances are of these fellas coming out the meeting totally mesmerized by him and changing their tune :lol:

exactly what will happen, they will come out loving him and we will all be free to buy pies at halftime again!

Better.

Now that's the sort of thing the suporters club should be doing, trying to liaise with the management team and relaying info back to its members. Only then can constructive decisions be made on how to go forward.

Of course it is also Ashleys perogrative to tell them where to go, if he has made any interested party sign a confidentiality document then it is almost certain that he will be bound be the same clauses.

It's written alot better but I still dont agree with that sentiment, the focal point is that they want to arrange a meeting to discuss the sale of nufc - but they have no right to be part of those talks, they're runnign before they can even walk. In my opinion the letter should be trying to open up an agenda free dialogue between the seperate parties and it should be done privately.

After they've got a decent dialogue going with the club they should then be going for the jugular - they need to create a good rapport between the club and the NUSC and let the public know that this is the case. For me the letter just strikes me as being written by some locals who want agood nosey and dont really have any productive input or puropse. the letter certainly doesnt portray any purpose to these talks anyway.

They need to look up the word "representative".

I think the results of the above poll and the fact that only 50 people bothered to turn up to their big meeting means they are anything but representative of Newcastle fans. 

It's arrogance beyond belief.

God forbid that they would ever be given any real power.

1. Helping to give a positive image of the fans as a whole, and the points made by above about doing good things in the community, letter to Sunderland fans family who lost life etc. are good steps in the right direction. You would expect a body like NUSC to be vocal about ensuring better ticket allocation, season ticket payment methods, opportunities for elderly/disabled fans etc.

What you need to remember though is the club is 6 weeks old, Rome wasnt built in a day. We had to get all the basics of the club in place, an interim committee, website, funding, plans for membership etc etc. all of the things you've mentioned will be done in time. We did try and co-ordinate stuff for the refund of overpayments when fans came to us and asked (you will find a post somewhere on here and TT from me asking for anyone affected by it). Timing however was out and the club started to pay up the day after we spoke to the BBC, some would claim that was as a result of our action, Im more inclined to believe it was coincidence. Either way though we were willing to take on the fight (and not just for those that were members).

2. Trying to guage the views of fans as a whole so they have some idea of the opinion of fans who can't attend the meetings, or who don't pay the membership fee, so they can direct their efforts accordingly. Surely a free to register internet poll or something can guage the views of fans better than 50 people at a meeting?

You must see that putting random polls etc will not gain a valid response, these things are taken over by people with other objectives, makems will have a field day, ive used this one before but look up when Man City decided to ask the fans what they should name their new stand. 15,000 non City fans voted for Bell so it could be called the Bell end. Serious question, what is it the reason why you're not willing to pay a small fee (for which you will get other benefits) for the right to have a say in whats done?

3. Ultimately engaging with discussions with whoever the club owners are to work together in the best interests of the club.

See todays release, which I have to admit to not being 100% happy with, we needed to get it out quickly but I was looking to word it in a different way, putting forward the fact that we want to discuss the way forward and not just get a handle on how the sale is going. That was what the members agreed at the meeting.

My problem with NUSC at the moment is that they don't seem to have a grasp on point 2 - the opinions are limited to those of the founding members I think, or the limited few who turn up to the meetings. There is no effort to guage the opinion of fans as a whole. Its all very well saying that if you don't agree, turn up to a meeting and voice an opinion, but in practice how many normal fans would be prepared to turn up in the Irish Club whilst 50 other fans are discussing how best to hurt Ashley (financially), and say "Hold on a second lads, can we just chat about whether this is really a good idea this whole I hate Mike thing?"

I did, as did another member of the committee and at least two other people from the floor. We put forward alternate views to the original motion and had it changed to what you see now which I think is a good compromise. We try and talk to Ashley, see what can be done, what the fans could do to change MA's current stance and how we can all come out of this with at least some semblance of credibility and more importantly a surviving football club.

My second problem is with point 3. How can a group which has its stated aim as "change" and ousting Mike Ashley act in the best interests of supporters or indeed the club as a whole? What if the best thing for the club at any given time would be for Mike Ashley to remain in charge? What if the only interested buyer wishes to saddle the club with massive debt to finance the acquisition? What if the new owners aren't actually planning to put their own cash into the club? Those who snorted at Ashley's £20m a year pledge will be aware that Gillett/Hicks/Glaziers have not put in a penny of their own cash into the operating costs of the club.

I'm not saying the NUSC has to be pro-Ashley by any means, but to adopt such a blinkered approach to their agenda is damaging for both the club and the supporters.

And we have realised that, what I think people dont seem to pick up is that this club (NUSC) was borne out of a meeting that had no preconceived plans and at that meeting EVERY one of the 250+ people there voted to take action against what was happening. So we did, I wont go into the whole thing again because theres a post of mine somewhere in this thread that explains it all.  basically though 6 weeks ago everybody said this is what we should do, we did it and what we didnt do was keep an eye on how fan feeling was changing, that was a mistake but one that Im sure you can understand was easy to make when all the other work was going on.

Finally, I dont agree your thoughts on an independent person on the committee, independent of what? we are not a collection of mates that decided to do this, most of us didnt know the rest before this started. We are all independent of each other, the only thing we have in common is our football club. There is no need for someone to keep an eye on whats done because we already have hundreds that will do that. Everything we do is transparent to our members, every penny in and out is accounted for and will be available for any member to view. Every major action (Im sure you agree we cant have votes for everything we do) is voted for by the members first. Those that are done without a vote are there and available for the members to pull apart afterwards if they think we've done wrong.

Thanks however for a well thought out and constructed post, Im more than happy to spend the time replying to any like that and Im sure Tom will be too.

To peasepud and other NUSC reps,

the fact you guys are admitting that some of the problems are to do with the fact that this organisation is only 6 weeks old just confirms you are perhaps running before you can walk. Maybe you should disengage from making public statements until you are in a position to present a better front?

I think the results of the above poll and the fact that only 50 people bothered to turn up to their big meeting means they are anything but representative of Newcastle fans. 

I don't think its looks too good on you either to criticise a group of people who are trying to do something for the greater good that they believe in, when you can't be arsed yourself to do anything, whether going with them or opposing them.

Better.

It's written alot better but I still dont agree with that sentiment, the focal point is that they want to arrange a meeting to discuss the sale of nufc - but they have no right to be part of those talks, they're runnign before they can even walk. In my opinion the letter should be trying to open up an agenda free dialogue between the seperate parties and it should be done privately.

After they've got a decent dialogue going with the club they should then be going for the jugular - they need to create a good rapport between the club and the NUSC and let the public know that this is the case. For me the letter just strikes me as being written by some locals who want agood nosey and dont really have any productive input or puropse. the letter certainly doesnt portray any purpose to these talks anyway.

Good posts. Both of them.

I don't think its looks too good on you either to criticise a group of people who are trying to do something for the greater good that they believe in, when you can't be arsed yourself to do anything, whether going with them or opposing them.

By that dumb logic you'd have to applaud the Nazi Party.

By that dumb logic you'd have to applaud the Nazi Party.

I hope you aren't trying to ruin this thread ?

the fact you guys are admitting that some of the problems are to do with the fact that this organisation is only 6 weeks old just confirms you are perhaps running before you can walk. Maybe you should disengage from making public statements until you are in a position to present a better front?

Agreed which is why other than todays letter you havent seen anything for a fortnight or so and shouldnt for a while unless we are asked to comment on an event.

I oppose them.

And I'm offended that a few dozen publicity seekers claim to be "representative" of Newcastle fans, as it seems are the majority of supporters.

Agreed which is why other than todays letter you havent seen anything for a fortnight or so and shouldnt for a while unless we are asked to comment on an event.

Did the letter portray the feelings of the majority of those who turned up and if not why was it released?

I just think its worrying that its seems from your replies that theres not great cohesion within the group and what is being released is actually the views of a vocal minority which shows litle regard to the rest of the group and shows that the organisation is just being used as a propaganda vehicle for a select few to publically air there contorted views.

I oppose them.

And I'm offended that a few dozen publicity seekers claim to be "representative" of Newcastle fans, as it seems are the majority of supporters.

Do they claim to representative of all supporters ?

Do you understand that if the press label people as such - also as per Frank Gilmour and the NUISA - then its not that simple to stop them ?

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but if not for movements in the past similar to this, we could still be stuck in the old 2nd division and experienced a past decade and a half like that of the likes of Sheffield Wednesday, which is pretty much how it was.

And THAT'S my opinion, backed up with history and the record books. Still, if you're happy with that, its your prerogative. If they even play a small part in helping change owners then good luck to them. Whether the new owners will be good ones, thats the 64 dollar question that nobody knows.

I oppose them.

Do you understand that if the press label people as such - also as per Frank Gilmour and the NUISA - then its not that simple to stop them ?

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but if not for movements in the past similar to this, we could still be stuck in the old 2nd division and experienced a past decade and a half like that of the likes of Sheffield Wednesday, which is pretty much how it was.

And THAT'S my opinion, backed up with history and the record books. Still, if you're happy with that, its your prerogative. If they even play a small part in helping change owners then good luck to them. Whether the new owners will be good ones, thats the 64 dollar question that nobody knows.

To be fair they kind of do.

http://www.newcastle-united-supporters-club.co.uk/statement-1909.php

"It was agreed the prime role of the supporters club was to represent the interests of and provide a voice for the fans of Newcastle United."

This is kind of my gripe with them as well - that and the fact that they've signed the execution order for Ashley with zero hard evidence or understadning of what actually occured. If they had evidence, or did know what went on, then id be less critical of them.

I oppose them.

"It was agreed the prime role of the supporters club was to represent the interests of and provide a voice for the fans of Newcastle United."

This is kind of my gripe with them as well - that and the fact that they've signed the execution order for Ashley with zero hard evidence or understadning of what actually occured. If they had evidence, or did know what went on, then id be less critical of them.

to me, that reads to say that their aim is to provide representation for all NUFC fans [who wish it] and nothing more

Did the letter portray the feelings of  the majority of those who turned up and if not why was it released?

I just think its worrying that its seems from your replies that theres not great cohesion within the group and what is being released is actually the views of a vocal minority which shows litle regard to the rest of the group and shows that the organisation is just being used as a propaganda vehicle for a select few to publically air there contorted views.

Maybe I didnt word my last one properly. What I was meaning that if it was down to me I would have made more of the fact we want dialogue with him and changed a little bit of the wording.

Yes that is what was agreed by the meeting however we also agreed that it needed to go out by today which didnt give as much time for consultation etc. That howver is why we have seperate roles for people, some people help organise others meet the media and some others write letters etc.

I oppose them.

to me, that reads to say that their aim is to provide representation for all NUFC fans [who wish it] and nothing more

Come on NE5, you dont believe that do you?  :coolsmiley:

I oppose them.

Come on NE5, you dont believe that do you?  :coolsmiley:

of course. it costs 10 quid to join, do you think they will represent the views of people who haven't joined

Did the letter portray the feelings of  the majority of those who turned up and if not why was it released?

Maybe I didnt word my last one properly. What I was meaning that if it was down to me I would have made more of the fact we want dialogue with him and changed a little bit of the wording.

Yes that is what was agreed by the meeting however we also agreed that it needed to go out by today which didnt give as much time for consultation etc. That howver is why we have seperate roles for people, some people help organise others meet the media and some others write letters etc.

Fair enough but what you say about what should of been written and what actually got written are 2 completely different things, which is a big problem becasue you seem to have the right idea.

This is the point though, you're dealing with a business that is worth £300m there needs to be a level of proffessionalism and organisation to it.

For me its akin to turning up at an interview in jeans and a hoodie. You may be the best man for the job but if you dont have all sides covered you wont get considered.

I apologise if this to come across as  being condescending it honestly isnt.

I oppose them.

Is this the same majority that you say back Ashley?

I've got a deal for you or at least for one of those that oppose the NUSC so strongly and reckon we wont listen to you.

I will pay your membership on condition you turn up at the next meeting and make your voice heard and then more importantly report back on it here.