Newcastle United Supporters Club

peasepud
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If I could get to this meeting I would love to pass on our concerns about NUSC, sadly stranded down south.

If they just called themselves something that represented their true aims as a single-issue group dedicated to getting Ashley out, then I wouldn't have a problem with them, but as NUSC they are making us all look like idiots.

Also, Ashley is trying to sell so they should stop the whinging and just let him get on with it.

I think fraudulently claiming to represent Newcastle supporters is a concern for most of us and as you say, the name they have chosen for what is nothing more than a small Ashley out pressure group, is very misleading.

Guest Slippery Sam

The members are Newcastle supporters, are they not?? Therefore, they do represent Newcastle supporters. Can someone point to a claim to represent all Newcastle supporters ? Genuine question btw.

If I could get to this meeting I would love to pass on our concerns about NUSC, sadly stranded down south.

If they just called themselves something that represented their true aims as a single-issue group dedicated to getting Ashley out, then I wouldn't have a problem with them, but as NUSC they are making us all look like idiots.

Also, Ashley is trying to sell so they should stop the whinging and just let him get on with it.

I think fraudulently claiming to represent Newcastle supporters is a concern for most of us and as you say, the name they have chosen for what is nothing more than a small Ashley out pressure group, is very misleading.

Why don't you set up the RNUSC with a pro Ashley agenda? There must be some nights the Arena is free to hold your meetings in.

I look forward to seeing your "We :smitten: Cockneys" banner at the Man City game.

Guest Darth Toon

Why don't you set up the RNUSC with a pro Ashley agenda? There must be some nights the Arena is free to hold your meetings in.

I look forward to seeing your "We :smitten: Cockneys" banner at the Man City game.

Presumably along with "Cockney Mafia In" and "Ashley, please keep killing our club"  :smug:

"

Presumably along with "Cockney Mafia In" and "Ashley, please keep killing our club"   :smug:

"If only we'd given the structure a chance and put up with finishing 13th for 4 or 5 years we'd have made the top half and what's more we wouldn't owe any money to anybody, so there".

That would stretch all around the ground.

Presumably along with "Cockney Mafia In" and "Ashley, please keep killing our club"   :smug:

Any of you got a firm preference on who you think should replace Ashley to move the club forward ?

Point is most fans do NOT think Ashley was killing the club - quite the opposite - and that the so called "NUSC" could do far more damage to Newcastle than the so called "cockney mafia" ever did.

Presumably along with "Cockney Mafia In" and "Ashley, please keep killing our club"  :smug:

Any of you got a firm preference on who you think should replace Ashley to move the club forward ?

Point is most fans do NOT think Ashley was killing the club - quite the opposite - and that the so called "NUSC" could do far more damage to Newcastle than the so called "cockney mafia" ever did.

So go for it and set up your own action group & support Ashley. He supposedly decided to sell the club based on a few banners and protests, so why wouldn't he now change his mind and decide to stay on if all of you - most fans that is - now show your support so he realises its only a small minority who want him out?

What was that about them speaking for all of the fans without mandate again?

As for damage done, how does painting a few banners compare with serious squad under-investment?

I understand it is difficult to represent a group as diverse as us Newcastle fans. Is that not why most supporters clubs concentrate on more mundane issues of actually supporting the team and stay more balanced on controversial issues such as this?

If you are a representative of a group that you know has polarised views (as NUSC do), then they should confine themselves to statements with caveats like "some of our members believe that..." and "a section of NUFC fans think..."

A trade union, for example, presumably needs a large enough membership to be recognised as representative. Then it needs a ballot amongst those members in order to take industrial action.

you are absolutely wrong.

Most supporters didn't think Ashley wasn't killing the club, but they do now.

Smell the coffee. As I said to you previously, the people you speak to may have had their "opinion" but the opinions of most long term supporters that I know are very different.

There is no guarantee that we could do better than Ashley, we could in fact do worse. But if we do worse, then they will be another group of directors inferior to the old board. We are in serious danger of getting relegated and this is all down to lack of expenditure and lack of understanding of football by Ashley and his band, who it must appear by now that were only in this for profit and thought they could run the club and make money with as little expenditure as possible.

Again, most long term supporters can see this having seen it all before.

I love how UV thinks that anyone who has the slightest bit of rational thought and believes that not everything that Ashley has done is negative, must be "pro-Ashley".

I don't really love it that people like you still haven't woke up yet, in order to defend Ashley, bash Shepherd, or whatever you think you are trying to do.

Who cares though. A few supporters won't have much impact. Ashley is selling, and in my opinion he was never going to stay at the club long anyway, all this has just accelerated his departure.

The club is heading back to the days of the 1980's and earlier mate.

You've got a point about changing views on Ashley NE5 - although I still think he would have been a good owner in the long term he has gone down a long way in my estimation after the ease with which he 'bottled out' in the face of protests.

But nothing I've said with regard to this has anything to do with Shepherd really, except that I think Ashley was the kind of owner we needed at the present time.

you are absolutely wrong.

Most supporters didn't think Ashley wasn't killing the club, but they do now.

How can you possibly say that most supporters thought Ashley was "killing the club"?! Fair enough, people can disagree about the level of personal investment that he was prepared to put in in the medium to long term, but killing the club is a ridiculous statement.

If we can assume that by "killing the club" we mean do a Leeds so that we are financially fucked and a division or two lower down, then I would have thought we were more in danger of doing that under the old board than under the new board.

Most of your opinions seems to be expressed in an intelligent manner so I assume you are aware of the current economic climate, particularly involving the availability of finance? If the club were still carrying £100m plus worth of debt, one can assume that the annual interest figure on that would be £8m - £10m a year. However, these facilities tend to need to be repaid, or more realistically refinanced. What would have happened if the banks were not prepared to fund a £100m refinancing package, and instead for example would only refinance for £50m? The club would have needed to find £50m from somewhere, and the old board were clearly not interested in envesting personal wealth. The obvious choice would have been the sale of players, or perhaps the ground (with a leaseback). Look what is happening at West Ham for fuck sake.

We don't have that problem now - that is why the whole "free of debt" point is being shouted by the team selling the club - in this financial market it is a massive plus.

I love how UV thinks that anyone who has the slightest bit of rational thought and believes that not everything that Ashley has done is negative, must be "pro-Ashley".

I love how you assume you know what other people think.

The 2 posts I quoted specifically complained about NUSC being "dedicated to getting Ashley out" and being a "small Ashley out pressure group". I merely suggested forming a counter group to get their views across. This would obviously be a popular group as "most fans do NOT think Ashley was killing the club" so would naturally want him to stay, and surely some would feel strongly enough about it to plan some pro-Ashley action knowing how easily swayed he is by popular opinion.

Either you want Ashley to go, or you want him to stay. If you want him to go, then why should protests and action stop until he's gone, and if you want him to stay why don't people get of their arses and do something about it instead of crying onto their keyboards.

What was that about them speaking for all of the fans without mandate again?

As for damage done, how does painting a few banners compare with serious squad under-investment?

Point 1. They speak to the press, litter the town with leaflets and organise boycotts. I talk to mates down the pub and type on here. I don't need a mandate to do that.

Point 2. Amazingly it may have been the banners and staged for TV mob demonstrations that have brought the club to it's knees - much to the amusement of our detractors. They were facts.  The "serious" squad under-investment you mention is very debatable especially only one year on from the financial mess we were in when ashley took over.

Yes MOST people I speak to (in Newcastle) think Ashley's plan could have progressed the club and indeed the above poll re NUSC (who's only issue is Ashley out) would support that.

Nothing against you NUSC Ashley out brigade, but you may have reacted a bit too quickly without fully thinking through the potential consequences of your actions

I love how you assume you know what other people think.

The 2 posts I quoted specifically complained about NUSC being "dedicated to getting Ashley out" and being a "small Ashley out pressure group". I merely suggested forming a counter group to get their views across. This would obviously be a popular group as "most fans do NOT think Ashley was killing the club" so would naturally want him to stay, and surely some would feel strongly enough about it to plan some pro-Ashley action knowing how easily swayed he is by popular opinion.

Either you want Ashley to go, or you want him to stay. If you want him to go, then why should protests and action stop until he's gone, and if you want him to stay why don't people get of their arses and do something about it instead of crying onto their keyboards.

That's rich coming from someone who spent all his time last season telling us we were going to be relegated and is carrying on in the same vein now.

Who's put the club in the hands of an agent to facilitate the sale, Ashley or you tapping away on your keyboard?

Who's actually managed to get an interim manager in to try and keep us afloat after KK's walkout? Ashley or you tapping away on your keyboard?

If it's all so easy why don't you leave your keyboard and go find a mega billionaire owner and demand he set aside funds for the manager of your choice?

Or do you think it's all just going to happen by magic?

Agreed - it it's funny how it's the younger supporters who are pouring scorn on us older lot. I've been called paranoid and unrealistic recently by fans who can't remember this club prior to 1992/93. The danger signs are there for all to see, but will folk listen? Will they bollocks.

Agreed - it it's funny how it's the younger supporters who are pouring scorn on us older lot. I've been called paranoid and unrealistic recently by fans who can't remember this club prior to 1992/93. The danger signs are there for all to see, but will folk listen? Will they bollocks.

I'm 50+ and have supported Newcastle all my life through thick but mainly thin and along with many others I think Ashley's method was the best chance we have had to finally become a serious football club.

It's all about opinions but I don't think age has a lot to do with it.

I'm 50+ and have supported Newcastle all my life through thick but mainly thin and along with many others I think Ashley's method was the best chance we have had to finally become a serious football club.

Just to join the Crinklies Convention here, I'm with Benwell Lad on this. Ashley's approach was something new and I fear that we've wasted a good opportunity. We looked to be getting the infrastructure of the club right, with a long-term plan and a professional approach. Unless you've got Abramovich-style millions, throwing money at the first team isn't going to get you anywhere in itself.

We all thought that Ashley would get the club moving in the right direction. However, you have to remember the he lied to the fans ulimtately (and in print) Is this the kind of man you want to run your club?