Sources close to Mike Ashley - SSN

Guest hindu times

Forget the money for a moment, how big and how serious are these people at NVA?  Are they just brokering the deal or would they be involved in selecting the manager, chairman etc.  Who is calling the shots?  The website isn't convincing me of much.

don`t know much else about them......don`t think they even have a wikipedia page about them (?)

I'm not saying they definitely are the answer, but why are people so skeptical? Be nice if some real reasons were listed.

Well so far I have determined there is one reason the posters don't like them; they're Nigerian.

Basically Nigeria is one of the most corrupt countries in the world to do business. I've worked with organisations from many different parts of Africa and I've only ever had trouble in Nigeria. Other people I know who have worked in Africa all say the same thing. I'm not saying that all Nigerians are the same as I've met some really decent people but the country is in a mess.

Just look at these two articles for example to see what I mean:

http://www.economist.com/world/mideast-africa/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12267373

http://www.economist.com/world/mideast-africa/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11975488

Most outsiders seem to view Newcastle as a mess to be honest.

Cant see this Nigerian company having as much money as ashley let alone more.

Can see us being worse off should they come in, good intentions or not.

I don't think it's a company so much as a consortium.  I expect some Nigerians may be very wealthy indeed, it's a country rich in resources especially oil.  Unfortunately it also has a history of endemic corruption and civil war.  That said, they could collectively be considerably richer than Ashley and who knows, might even know a thing or two about football. 

Personally I'm trying to keep an open mind since it appears that Ashley either doesn't have a lot of disposable income as far as we're concerned or doesn't want to spend it....so money wise they may actually be much better than Ashley.  Unfortunately we can't choose who he sells to so it's pot luck.

Why would we be worse off when Ashley was using the clubs money to run things anyway?  Ashley has about £2 billion, or had, and how much of that did he spend on us?  Apart from paying off the stadium debt, which he was forced to do and added the same value to the club, he spent nowt, nothing on players.  Lets say these Nigerians have only £500 million, if they then make £50 million of that available for transfers then are we worse off?, no.  What we all should have learned from the whole Ashley saga is that it doesn't matter how much money you have if you're unwilling to invest it in the club, preferring instead to put £300 million on ludicrous share bets.

Having said all that we're talking about a consortium of 4-5 Nigerian oil billionaires here, so I seriously doubt they have less money then Ashley.

What's confusing me about SSN latest story on this is that they just said the Nigerians could take over in the next 48 hours in a deal expected to be around £200 million.  How can they say that when the bloke brokering the deal for them has been continually talking about £400 million?

Eh?, Ashley has about £2 billion, or had, and how much of that did he spend on us?  Apart from paying off the stadium debt, which he was forced to do and added the same value to the club, he spent nowt, nothing on players.  Lets say these Nigerians have only £500 million, if they then make £50 million of that available for transfers then are we worse off?, no.  What we all should have learned from the whole Ashley saga is that it doesn't matter how much money you have if you're unwilling to invest it in the club, preferring instead to put £300 million on ludicrous share bets.

Having said all that we're talking about a consortium of 4-5 Nigerian oil billionaires here, so I seriously doubt they have less money then Ashley.

people are making silly judgments based on purley nothing. What reason doesn Toontown have for thinking they wont have as kmuch money as Ashley?

Until they come in and put their money where their mouths are, will wont really know.

I agree, we have no idea what kind of money they have and as I say the most important thing isn't how much they have but how much they're willing to spend.  I can understand being a bit wary, but lets just wait and see what happens.

Nigerians ?

If Ashley wants to destroy the club totally, then that would do it

(Cue the ars*hol* Guardian readers whining about racism)

And SpinS - explain how they would be beneficial - in ANY way ?

This would DELIGHT the Manchester and London rags.

The BBC would be overjoyed.

We'd be a bigger laughing stock than we've ever been

Yet some would be happy to sacrifice the club on the altar of "racism".....

What is the difference between a Nigerian business man and an American one? I'd have no issue with it.

The yanks have a saying too - "Show me the money" not a whip round to get enough money to buy. Whats the use of that for us FFS ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Nigerians ?

So basically you're only bothered about what the media make of it?

What is the difference between a Nigerian business man and an American one? I'd have no issue with it.

The yanks have a saying too - "Show me the money" not a whip round to get enough money to buy. Whats the use of that for us FFS ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

How many consortium's, be they American, Nigerian or Russian, couldn't be rather glibly described as whip rounds?  And what exactly is inherently bad about it in your opinion?

Nigerians ?

some of the things i read on here are beyond belief.

basically you're only bothered about what the media make of it?

So basically you're HAPPY with this ?

I'd have put you as more aware than that, Dave.

Yes, it bothers me when we are abused and laughed at in the press.

And this would increase it twice over.

Crawl back in your shell mate, but it wouldn't go away.

Guest elbee909

Nigerians ?

some of the things i read on here are beyond belief.

Sadly, yes.

Yeah I know the only reason I'm keeping an open mind on this is because I'm scared of being called a racist :lol:  Get a grip Phil, did you ever consider that some of us are merely not bigoted?

Don't be a peabrain.

Right - so how about a bunch of white scam artists managing to cobble together enough money to buy the club.

Think first. It isn't about nationality or colour its "Will they improve the club" ?