Terry Venables turned down chance to manage Newcastle in 2008

Guest Chubby Jason
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What I find a little ironic is that all these idiots telling us how KK bottled it and should have  stayed on to fight completely turn a blind eye to Ashley's hissyfit and not willing to fight for what he thinks is right.

That's like saying I'm surprised all of the people backing Keegan for walking out because he wasn't happy are not backing Ashley for doing the same.

It's a pointless comparison.

OK here's a simple couple of question please try to just answer yes or no.

Was keegan right to walk out and not fight what what he believed in ?

Was Ashley right to say he wants to walk away and not fight for what he believes in ?

If you're not happy then I don't blame either for walking away, the main difference for me is their timing.

So how is Ashley's timing any better than KK's ? The issuing of that statement was perhaps the stupidest thing he's done, left the club in the state of limbo that we are today, it's been three weeks since he left no manager yet and just been turned down by Terry f***ing Vegatables !

KK may well have thought, look it's only fair to give them to the close of the transfer window to see if they are going to make good. You could argue that he gave them every chance to prove themselves and they failed. And if you've watched any of the last 3 games the player recruitment team sure did fail.

KK's comments suggest he walked because he couldn't work with a situation where players were bought without his say, yet he's already mentioned how they brought in Jonas under similar circumstances, if he wasn't happy with it then he should have gone then, he didn't though and left at a time that has hurt us the most.

Ashley's statement was naive and has played a big part in us being in the mess we're currently in, most people are happy to accept that he wants out though so don't see it as anything like Keegan leaving.

So how does KK not walking when Jonas was bought fit in with those like you that insist he's a bottler and not prepared to fight for his beliefs ? Surely it only proves that he was willing to give them a chance and try to change things from within ?

Would you not have said if he had quit before the close of the window "Well he should have gevin them till the end of the window to prove the system works ?".

At the end of the day the system failed to deliver, KK may have had to wait to show them that, that would have strengthened his hand somewhat to implement changes. But Ashley was too pig headed to change the system to accomodate the manager even when the evidence showed his manager was right.

You think that statement played a big part big ? let me tell you it played a massive part in our current mess, the timing of the statement (which you said was the difference between what KK did and he is trying to do) and the words within it totally devalued the managers role and further demoralised the players. Niaive you call it, for a businessman it's bloody stupid to risk devaluing your asset in that way.

Regardless of who is right and wrong in all of this, the fact remains that Ashley and co have mismanaged the situation to such an alarming extent that we now find ourselves in the current mess.  Everything they have done since rumours first circulated that Keegan may have been sacked has inflamed the situation - lack of communication at key moments, Ashley partying in NY, offending potential buyers in the Middle East, ill-informed statements, non-communication with club staff, temporary manager on a match by match basis etc etc.  They have managed to upset Keegan, the players and club staff, the fans, potential buyers and even the press are taking a dim view of their behaviour.

Strong management from the outset would have avoided a lot of the damage.  They cannot have made more of a cock-up if they had tried.  I cannot believe that not one of the board members cannot see the damage they have actually caused by their own (lack of) actions and that they have made no attempt to rectify things.

I do not know what and who to believe in this whole sorry mess but one thing is for certain, Ashley and co have absolutely no idea how to run a football club.

Regardless of who is right and wrong in all of this, the fact remains that Ashley and co have mismanaged the situation to such an alarming extent that we now find ourselves in the current mess.  Everything they have done since rumours first circulated that Keegan may have been sacked has inflamed the situation - lack of communication at key moments, Ashley partying in NY, offending potential buyers in the Middle East, ill-informed statements, non-communication with club staff, temporary manager on a match by match basis etc etc.  They have managed to upset Keegan, the players and club staff, the fans, potential buyers and even the press are taking a dim view of their behaviour.

Strong management from the outset would have avoided a lot of the damage.   They cannot have made more of a cock-up if they had tried.  I cannot believe that not one of the board members cannot see the damage they have actually caused by their own (lack of) actions and that they have made no attempt to rectify things.

I do not know what and who to believe in this whole sorry mess but one thing is for certain, Ashley and co have absolutely no idea how to run a football club.

Great post that...started off with "regardless of who is right or wrong" and ended up regarding one person only wrong.

Guest Geordiesned

Strong management from the outset would have avoided a lot of the damage.   They cannot have made more of a cock-up if they had tried.  I cannot believe that not one of the board members cannot see the damage they have actually caused by their own (lack of) actions and that they have made no attempt to rectify things.

Great post that...started off with "regardless of who is right or wrong" and ended up regarding one person only wrong.

Well he if changed the opening bit to "regardless of who was right or wrong at the outset" then I think he's spot on.

Well he if changed the opening bit to "regardless of who was right or wrong at the outset" then I think he's spot on.

Aren't you one of the tits who was rejoicing in the thread about Guthrie's tackle which saw him suspended for three matches? That's worked out well hasn't it? Enjoyed watching Cacapa in midfield have you?

Aren't you one of the tits who was rejoicing in the thread about Guthrie's tackle which saw him suspended for three matches? That's worked out well hasn't it? Enjoyed watching Cacapa in midfield have you?

Apologies for not writing with great clarity - I try my best.  And thanks Geordiesned for realising what I was trying to say.

So how does KK not walking when Jonas was bought fit in with those like you that insist he's a bottler and not prepared to fight for his beliefs ? Surely it only proves that he was willing to give them a chance and try to change things from within ?

Would you not have said if he had quit before the close of the window "Well he should have gevin them till the end of the window to prove the system works ?".

At the end of the day the system failed to deliver, KK may have had to wait to show them that, that would have strengthened his hand somewhat to implement changes. But Ashley was too pig headed to change the system to accomodate the manager even when the evidence showed his manager was right.

You're missing the point, it's nothing to do with him seeing if the system works or any of that, he left because he couldn't work within the set up as he states here.

"It's my opinion that a manager must have the right to manage and that clubs should not impose upon any manager any player that he does not want."

Now if Keegan couldn't work in this set up then fair enough, but he came out and said Jonas was brought in by Jimenez and Wise and the only thing he knew was what he looked up on the internet, so why not go then instead of dragging it out until it was the worst possible time?

No doubt you will make more excuses for poor old king Kev and how he battled on until the very end so I'll leave you to it. :thup:

You're missing the point, it's nothing to do with him seeing if the system works or any of that, he left because he couldn't work within the set up as he states here.

"It's my opinion that a manager must have the right to manage and that clubs should not impose upon any manager any player that he does not want."

Now if Keegan couldn't work in this set up then fair enough, but he came out and said Jonas was brought in by Jimenez and Wise and the only thing he knew was what he looked up on the internet, so why not go then instead of dragging it out until it was the worst possible time?

No doubt you will make more excuses for poor old king Kev and how he battled on until the very end so I'll leave you to it. :thup:

there's a big difference between someone bringing in Jonas, or indeed, Robinho for hughes. the difference is that the manager's didn't veto the move, they never said they didnt want the player. keegan says in his resignation notes that he doesnt think a club should impose upon any manager any player that he does not want. from these quotes it looks like he wanted Jonas and knew who he was by the time he had signed:

"Jonas is a wonderful signing for us," manager Kevin Keegan told the club's official website.

"I know a lot of other clubs have been interested in him. He'll be a terrific addition to the squad.

"He's an exciting player and I'm sure our fans will enjoy watching him."

i'd also imagine it was quite a lengthy process due to the unique nature of the transfer and that keegan knew about it for a while. It was also at the beginning of the window where there was a lot of time left for keegan to get his targets in. also looks like there was some consensus, however uneasy, earlier on, with keegan looking at bassong and zayate first hand and deciding which would come, also ruling out moves for Diane and Gomis from personally scouting them. but the longer it went on without going after his targets it would only exacerbate any problems. it would aggravate an uneasy relationship at the very end of the window if the club failed to secure keegan's targets and instead went out and got players keegan said no to or who they never discussed

Brilliantly accurate - well done.

Guest f***thepress

[/quote

Are you a Mackem?

talking some sense tbf

-----------

Toon's not a job for just two weeks

THERE is one reason and one reason alone why I’ve turned down the chance to take temporary charge at Newcastle — time.

Newcastle United means too much to too many people to take the job on a short-term basis.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1736458.ece

THERE is one reason and one reason alone why I’ve turned down the chance to take temporary charge at Newcastle — time.

Newcastle United means too much to too many people to take the job on a short-term basis.

It demands total commitment and dedication from a manager who is prepared to throw himself heart and soul into the club.

I didn’t want to move up to Tyneside and find myself surplus to requirements before I’d even had the chance to get my teeth into the challenge.

The way the job was offered to me meant that I might be working at St James’ Park for two months, two years . . . or two weeks.

There was far too much uncertainty involved.

When I take on a job I need to know exactly what my goals and targets are.

It would have been impossible to achieve any aims in the conditions they wanted me to work under.

I was ready and willing to give it a real go but I was never offered the chance to do that.

All they could guarantee was that I’d be in a job until Mike Ashley sells the club . . . whenever that might be.

So as flattered and honoured as I was to be approached by Newcastle, in the end it wasn’t that difficult a decision for me to decline their offer.

The Newcastle supporters have suffered more than enough in recent years. I didn’t want them to think I’d gone up there just to pocket a few quid from Mike Ashley and then wave ‘cheerio’ a couple of weeks later.

But I want to make it absolutely clear that my decision had nothing to do with a fear of a fans’ backlash.

I know only too well that many of the Newcastle supporters have been protesting about the so-called ‘Cockney Mafia’ running their club.

But I honestly don’t believe it would have been an issue for me. All my work would have been done in the dressing room, not the boardroom. I understand the Geordies are proud of their city and their club — and rightly so.

But I’m sure they will warm to any manager who gives his total commitment to their team and starts winning games.

I could have handled one or two fans calling me a Cockney this or that. I’ve had to deal with a lot worse than that in my time, believe me. But if you are going to do that job seriously, the new man will need time to understand the club, time to get to know the players and time to work out all their strengths and weaknesses.

No one is going to walk into St James’ Park and turn things around overnight.

People might claim that was what I did when I accepted a similar fire-fighting role at Middlesbrough eight years ago.

But let me assure you it was a totally different set-up.

I went into that job at the beginning of December with the knowledge that I would be working alongside Bryan Robson for the rest of the season.

We were nine points adrift of safety at the time but I knew I was going to get the time I needed to have an effect and make an impact. As it happened, we avoided relegation fairly comfortably in the end.

During those seven months on Teesside I moved into the area with my wife, worked every day on the training ground and put all my other commitments to one side. I would have done the same for Newcastle. But that wasn’t what they wanted.

Let me make it clear it was Newcastle who approached me about the job rather than the other way around.

It was a complete shock when I received the telephone call this week asking me to meet them.

I met Dennis Wise, Tony Jiminez and Derek Llambias on Wednesday and we had a long chat about what the job entailed and what they expected from me.

A number of senior players had told them that they needed to end the uncertainty as quickly as possible and they immediately moved into action to do that.

But Mike Ashley wasn’t there and it was made very clear to me that it is the owner’s intention to sell control of the club sooner rather than later.

And we all know that whenever a new owner takes control of a club, the first thing he does is appoint his own directors and his own manager.

Ashley has been hurt and upset by recent events and feels that family issues mean he has no option but to let someone else take charge of Newcastle.

We never discussed money, contracts or any sort of payment. I told them that I first needed to decide if I wanted the job. We could settle the financial side of things at a later date. I promised I’d give them my decision within 24 hours and thought about it long and hard over Wednesday night.

But deep down inside I always knew it wasn’t the right job at the right time for me. And I don’t think the Newcastle guys were that surprised when I gave them my answer yesterday. But just because the conditions weren’t right for me doesn’t mean they won’t be right for someone else.

I’m sure Newcastle will be inundated with applications from loads of top- quality coaches who are willing to take the job on a temporary basis.

And I have absolutely no doubts that it is only a matter of time before the team starts winning games and moving back up the Premier League table.

They have plenty of good players on board and as long as they can keep them all fit and available they won’t have any problems.

We’re only five games into the new season, for God’s sake.

A win tomorrow at home to Blackburn and they could go up as many as 10 places.

When I was a young manager, I always regarded Newcastle and Liverpool as the two top jobs to aim for.

I see no reason to change that opinion.

If the circumstances had been different I would have been delighted to become the manager at St James’ Park.

It’s been 10 months since I left my job with England and I haven’t been actively looking to get back into the game since then.

But this week’s developments have made me think hard and if the right opportunity and the right conditions come along, I would certainly give it serious consideration.

Who knows, maybe the new owners of Newcastle will want me. Somehow, though, I don’t think that is going to happen.

Decent read.

Ashley and gang find another manager and his pesky 'principles' won't just bend over at their beck and call. I love the bit in bold btw, suggesting the club didn't see it as a priority. :laugh:

Decent read.

Ashley and gang find another manager and his pesky 'principles' won't just bend over at their beck and call.

The way I read it, Venables would like the job if it was long term, i.e. if the club wasn't for sale. Are you saying Ashley shouldn't go, which is what we wanted after all?

Guest icemanblue

Decent read.

Ashley and gang find another manager and his pesky 'principles' won't just bend over at their beck and call.

The way I read it, Venables would like the job if it was long term, i.e. if the club wasn't for sale. Are you saying Ashley shouldn't go, which is what we wanted after all?

Eh?!

Worst case is that we can't find a manager because people see it as not worth the hassle when they're going to be shown to door when we're sold anyway, so we end up becoming adrift at the bottom of the table, lowering our value in the eyes of buyers but not of Ashley.

Decent read.

Eh?!

Do you need me to spell it out or maybe you could just read the interview again?

Decent read.

I'm saying they approached Venables, so they obviously thought they could persuade him to take it despite the turmoil. He won't, just like Keegan wouldn't accept players brought in above his head. My comment has nothing to do with what I want Ashley to do.

It looks unlikely that we're going to get a manager of any reputation on this temporary basis. It's an inevitable consequence of Ashley trying to sell up in this way. But those who forced him into that position can't now complain about the current instability.

It did sound though that Venables is hinting strongly that he'd take the job on a permanent basis.

Guest icemanblue

Decent read.

Eh?!

Do you need me to spell it out or maybe you could just read the interview again?

That wasn't directed towards the interview, you plum. I was perplexed as to how you could assume Dave had meant he wanted Ashley to stay. He was pointing out that Ashley et al are seriously deluded with regards to their approach to football business. But you're a WUM, and that's what you do.

Dave, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Decent read.

Eh?!

That wasn't directed towards the interview, you plum. I was perplexed as to how you could assume Dave had meant he wanted Ashley to stay. He was pointing out that Ashley et al are seriously deluded with regards to their approach to football business. But you're a WUM, and that's what you do.

Dave, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

You are more of a WUM than Big Tron.

A number of senior players had told them that they needed to end the uncertainty as quickly as possible and they immediately moved into action to do that.

I can't believe (well I suppose I can) that they were just going to leave the Club managerless until these "Senior Players" stepped up and told them otherwise.

They couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery. What does that Llambias actually DO? I know it's Wise that's been getting all the stick but I think Llambias is at least as culpable if not more. No PR, no manners and no balls to front up a press conference or even Chris Hughton.