Roeder PLEASED with performance

Guest smoggeordie

OK, now read the statistics for wins in the Premier League as PERMANENT manager. It is a very similar story...

Why do all the other managers get their full stats, and Roeder only gets this season?

Saying "permanent" is an obtuse and dim-witted caveat to skew the facts.

Because unlike the other managers, Roeder went through a period where he was unable to make any changes to anything except team lineups, whereas other managers got to do whatever they wanted right from the start. During this period, shepherd made sure he had Tommy Craig and Alan Shearer sticking pretty close to him. Now Roeder is there on his own, things have got much, much worse.

roeder was selected by shepherd after the west brom game, so you should include the two games at the tail end of the last season too.

simple fact is, we should have won, and we would have won - but we missed our chances.

We dominated possession against a poor side who were there for the taking.

We have nobody up front who is able to force - by power, strength or pace, opportunities, and/or take them. And some people think we need defenders. We need a forward, quickly - and an attacking midfield player who will get into the box.

Guest pedros-mighty-chin

5 points gained from 15 available at home. That's the stat that scares the hell out of me.

Yeah, it's not good. But we aren't as bad as our position in the league. Under Souness we most definately were.

the league table doesn't lie.

you can make all the chances in the world but if you can't score and can't defend then you're in the shite.

5 points gained from 15 available at home. That's the stat that scares the hell out of me.

Yeah, it's not good. But we aren't as bad as our position in the league. Under Souness we most definately were.

you can make all the chances in the world but if you can't score and can't defend then you're in the shite.

We've scored 3 in 2 and conceded none.

So we can evidently do both.

Guest pedros-mighty-chin

we've scored 7 in 10 league games

and conceded 13 in 10 league games

we are 17th in the league after 10 games

I would say that they were more sensible stats to acknowledge rather than championing a 3-0 league cup win a a 0-0 draw at home against the bottom of the table side.

we've scored 7 in 10 league games

and conceded 13 in 10 league games

we are 17th in the league after 10 games

I would say that they were more sensible stats to acknowledge rather than championing a 3-0 league cup win a a 0-0 draw at home against the bottom of the table side.

I'd say the end of the season is the most sensible time to judge it.

Guest pedros-mighty-chin

agree with you on that one.

however at the moment the best we can do is analyse performances to date and try to guage where we might be in May.

And the form to date suggests that we will be in the shite because we don't score enough goals, we concede to many, our manager is tactically inept and has a history of relegating teams and our chairman regularly pays over the odds for players who fail to deliver.

Guest BlueWhiteMonkey

Said in the summer Glen would take us down.

We spent the whole time chasing one player (KUYT) , only to miss out on him and sign Dwain Chambers.

:lol:

We didn't miss out on him Roeder in his infinite wisdom dithered and also insulted Kuyt with all this need to watch him lark. If you are a football manager or even someone with a passing interest in the game, you should know all about Kuyt. Who imo in 2/3 years will be better than Van Nistelrooy.

Said in the summer Glen would take us down.

We spent the whole time chasing one player (KUYT) , only to miss out on him and sign Dwain Chambers.

If you remember correctly, we graciously allowed Liverpool to sign him. To suggest we missed out on him is preposterous...

Guest puretoon

First half yesterday wasn't too bad, but what DID he say for them to come out and play so half heartedly second half????  they were abysmal second half.

GR hasn't got a clue! and who saw Luque playing?? change your glasses mate! he warmed up but that was that.

Regarding Tommy Craig-he had reasons for walking out-'nuff said.

FS really has dropped this club in the shite by appointing GR. FS can only run-or try to run- Shepherds Offshore along side his brother, who does virtually all the work himself.

In other words FS it totally clueless when it comes to anything to do with football-and don't we know it!

If GR's satisfied with drawing 0-0 against bottom league team then he should be shot!! his sub was brought on far too late- poor Nobby was plain worn out.

After the Man U game I do not want to hear nor see GR ever again-but fat chance of that happening.

Quiet summer haunts Roeder

By Jason Mellor

Newcastle United 0 Charlton Athletic 0

SADLY FOR GLENN ROEDER, THE benevolence Alan Shearer exhibited last week in donating £1.6 million from his testimonial to charity does not appear to stretch to him coming out of retirement. The Newcastle United manager does not like the term “bare bones”, but that increasingly sums up his attacking options. How he would love to make Shearer an offer he cannot refuse before Thursday’s Uefa Cup tie against Palermo in Sicily.

“I almost thought you were going to ask me if I was considering playing myself,” Roeder said. What is that about many a thing said in jest? Giuseppe Rossi is ineligible, the injured Obafemi Martins will not travel and Shola Ameobi has finally admitted defeat, albeit six months too late, to a hip problem. “It’s deteriorating,” Roeder said. “He knows he has to have an operation sooner rather than later.”

Scott Parker, the Newcastle captain, agreed. “There’s no hiding we’re a bit light in the striking department,” he said. “It’s showing, but that’s the hand we’ve been dealt.”

Roeder is having to deal with the fallout from Newcastle’s failure to recruit sufficiently in the summer. “I don’t know if exposed is the right word. We’re short on numbers and are being tested to the limit,” he said.

Rossi struck the bar in Saturday evening’s dour encounter with Charlton Athletic and Damien Duff, pressed into service up front, wasted another good chance after the break as Newcastle failed to capitalise on an opportunity that Freddy Shepherd, the chairman, had said that they must take to climb the table, with a sixth winless league game. It means they are without a home win in the league since the season’s opening day.

It might have been worse. Darren Bent, a forward Roeder attempted to sign in the summer, found only the Gallowgate End with a rushed finish as he failed to capitalise on a second-half error by Titus Bramble.

“Watching him in training, he hits those volleys like no one else,” Iain Dowie, the Charlton manager, said. “We were relieved to get to the interval still level, but in the end we probably created the best two chances,” he added as a third consecutive clean sheet sealed a first away point of the season.

Palermo marks the first of eight matches in November that will shape Newcastle’s future. “It’s going to be a telling time,” Parker said. “We’re near the bottom and it’s not looking good on paper. If we’re sitting there after the game knowing we’ve not done ourselves justice it’d be different. We’d be worried if we couldn’t see the result coming, but it’s going to turn.”

:lol: Basically it is just the portsmouth reserves game which makes the stats look as they are, as we didnt score against Charlton