Mike Ashley - Newcastle's best ever chairman/owner.

Benwell Lad

i think the fans have made his position unteneable

How exactly?

The players are still there. 45k still turn up and cheer on the team. The world is still turning.

Supporters are fickle if the team starts to do well. A quality new manager, some good results, and all is forgiven.Easy to do with the great squad we now have, and with the super setup in place, any manager would be mad not to come surely?

But no, apparently a few banners make his position untenable. A couple of protests and some strongly worded emails have driven him out. The reason the stubborn, hard nosed businessman is selling the club is because he's upset. It has nothing to do with the fact he's been trying to offload the club for months, no siree, nothing at all.

So why not give him the chance to do so? Why protest and set up supporters group with the sole intention of ousting him?

Put it simply - had the fans been more passive and less voiciferous, do you think he still would of sold? Do you think his family deserve to hear the sort of vile diatribe that will no doubt be aimed at him irrespective of where he sits? A lookalike got attacked, purely for the reason he was mistaken as Ashley, irrespective of how good his security is do you not think that that may of been a factor when deciding to sell?

Yes. Not quite so publicly perhaps, but yes.

Mr Ashley is the fourth biggest loser from the crunch and has seen the value of his stake in Sports Direct, the retail giant he set up and floated on the London market, dive from £1.17 billion in February last year to just £168 million today. That is a loss of £1 billion.

How exactly?

The players are still there. 45k still turn up and cheer on the team. The world is still turning.

Supporters are fickle if the team starts to do well. A quality new manager, some good results, and all is forgiven.Easy to do with the great squad we now have, and with the super setup in place, any manager would be mad not to come surely?

But no, apparently a few banners make his position untenable. A couple of protests and some strongly worded emails have driven him out. The reason the stubborn, hard nosed businessman is selling the club is because he's upset. It has nothing to do with the fact he's been trying to offload the club for months, no siree, nothing at all.

So why not give him the chance to do so? Why protest and set up supporters group with the sole intention of ousting him?

Put it simply - had the fans been more passive and less voiciferous, do you think he still would of sold? Do you think his family deserve to hear the sort of vile diatribe that will no doubt be aimed at him irrespective of where he sits? A lookalike got attacked, purely for the reason he was mistaken as Ashley, irrespective of how good his security is do you not think that that may of been a factor when deciding to sell?

Then why sell now when its possibly least valuable to him? Why not sell at end of the season with the possiblity that the club is on the up? Why not keep Keegan at the helm with the club doing well and sell at more of a profit there? Doesnt make perfect sense.

For me the structure hasn't delivered, doesn't matter whose fault it was.

Aye, as a mechanism for supplying instant success it has proved sadly deficient.

As a mechanism for supplying almost instant relegation though, it's proving worryingly efficient.

that i suppose we'll have to wait and see (and hope not). i still feel we were closer to relegation under allardyce than we are now.

For largely the same reason - lack of investment in the squad.

(Though I never wanted Allardyce and think he would never have succeeded).

how many more times does the nail have to be hit squarely on the head here

exactly...how many times do you need telling that giving a shit manager loads of money still takes you backwards.

how many times do you need to be told that its impossible to appoint a winning manager every time, and good managers - if you find one - will piss off to clubs that back them if they are with clubs that don't.

But crap managers like all but one of those Shepherd appointed usually piss off to be unemployed.

but, you supported Allardyce and Souness didn't you ? So thats 3 assuming you supported Bobby Robson. That means you agreed with Shepherd 3 times. I bet you supported Dalglish and Gullit too didn't you

Aye, as a mechanism for supplying instant success it has proved sadly deficient.

As a mechanism for supplying almost instant relegation though, it's proving worryingly efficient.

that i suppose we'll have to wait and see (and hope not). i still feel we were closer to relegation under allardyce than we are now.

exactly...how many times do you need telling that giving a s*** manager loads of money still takes you backwards.

how many times do you need to be told that its impossible to appoint a winning manager every time, and good managers - if you find one - will piss off to clubs that back them if they are with clubs that don't.

But crap managers like all but one of those Shepherd appointed usually piss off to be unemployed.

but, you supported Allardyce and Souness didn't you ? So thats 3 assuming you supported Bobby Robson. That means you agreed with Shepherd 3 times. I bet you supported Dalglish and Gullit too didn't you

Wouldnt that suggest that he was actually behind Shepherd and therefore didnt have a personal agenda against him? Like most of us we supported Shepherd decisions because we had no choice - doesnt mean we believed them to be great managerial appointments.

I didnt want Allardyce at the club - i wanted Sven but i supported Shephereds decision to appoint him.

exactly...how many times do you need telling that giving a s*** manager loads of money still takes you backwards.

Wouldnt that suggest that he was actually behind Shepherd and therefore didnt have a personal agenda against him?

You'll have to ask Ozzie that mate, he might also tell you :

1. Why supporting at least 3 appointments has suddenly became 1

2. Why he sent an email to a cockney journo dishing the dirt on the club he says he supports while Shepherd was chairman, riding higher than it is just now when he doesn't appear to want to do it again ?

How exactly?

Then why sell now when its possibly least valuable to him? Why not sell at end of the season with the possiblity that the club is on the up? Why not keep Keegan at the helm with the club doing well and sell at more of a profit there? Doesnt make perfect sense.

It will be less and less as attractive a prospect to buy as the season goes on if results stay the same. I guess Ashley wants to sell ASAP as he agrees more with me about the quality of the squad than with you.

At the end of the season there's a distinct possibility that the club will be in the Championship. Selling now (at a price he wants) or later is all about the risk he's willing to take on that happening. It's obviously not as easy as he thought it would be to keep a club in the premiership with little to no outlay on the squad.

You're assuming Ashley didn't try and would have been able to persuade Keegan to stay on. Who knows. Even with Keegan in charge, at best we'd only have achieved an out of Europe mid table finish with players like Owen out the door at the end of the season. I don't see how that makes us significantly more attractive a proposition than now tbh.

How exactly?

It will be less and less as attractive a prospect to buy as the season goes on if results stay the same. I guess Ashley wants to sell ASAP as he agrees more with me about the quality of the squad than with you.

At the end of the season there's a distinct possibility that the club will be in the Championship. Selling now (at a price he wants) or later is all about the risk he's willing to take on that happening. It's obviously not as easy as he thought it would be to keep a club in the premiership with little to no outlay on the squad.

You're assuming Ashley didn't try and would have been able to persuade Keegan to stay on. Who knows. Even with Keegan in charge, at best we'd only have achieved an out of Europe mid table finish with players like Owen out the door at the end of the season. I don't see how that makes us significantly more attractive a proposition than now tbh.

the signs that this is all he wanted were fairly obvious ages ago.

Why do you assume that results might stay the same?  I would expect that a return to fitness of Beye, Enrique and Martins plus Barton returning from suspension might make a difference and I'd guess that most peple would expect the same.  We've also got a manager instead of a coach picking the team and we've seen an improvement with that.  You base our entire season around an injury hit squad which wasn't being managed and you use that as a reason for Ashley wanting to sell.  :lol:

We're not going down as we'll not play the full season under the same cloud as we've played too many games so far.

How exactly?

Thats one gigantic if.

It basicaly boils down to the belief that you think Ashley thinks we will get relegated this season and nothing else. How can i argue agaisnt that? 3 games into the season we were on 4 points and looking good - now all of a sudden we're distinct relegation candidates becasue our squad isnt great.

Sorry - dont buy it im afraid.

2. Why he sent an email to a cockney journo dishing the dirt on the club he says he supports while Shepherd was chairman, riding higher than it is just now when he doesn't appear to want to do it again ?

Just for the record he has answered that before, and yet you keep bringing it up. He was dishing the dirt on Shepherd, not NUFC. Believe it or not Freddy Shepherd did not and does not equal Newcastle United Football Club. You can criticise one without criticising the other.

Thats one gigantic if.

It basicaly boils down to the belief that you think Ashley thinks we will get relegated this season and nothing else. How can i argue agaisnt that? 3 games into the season we were on 4 points and looking good - now all of a sudden we're distinct relegation candidates becasue our squad isnt great.

I hope you're right, but I don't think it's as big an "if" as you'd like to make out. I don't think Ashley thinks we definitely will get relegated, but I'm pretty sure, like me, he thinks it's a not too unrealistic a prospect. It's a bigger risk than he thought when he bought the club, one he's not willing to take, and he's been looking to get out since last season.

I'm basing my assessment of the risk of relegation on how the core of the current squad did last season (with a relatively low injury affected season), and the fact that I don't think we've improved on that squad very much if we've improved at all, rather than basing it on one game against an injury hit Man Utd side (not trying to belittle the result, but it's not an insignificant point - we were overrun until Carrick went off), and an unconvincing home win against Bolton.

How exactly?

Thats one gigantic if.

Why were we looking good again? Was it perhaps the manager who got those bunch of misfits last season to actually start playing football. I think it was. Could be mistaken mind.

Just for the record he has answered that before, and yet you keep bringing it up. He was dishing the dirt on Shepherd, not NUFC. Believe it or not Freddy Shepherd did not and does not equal Newcastle United Football Club. You can criticise one without criticising the other.

Well, if he was unhappy with the club then, he should be a lot more unhappy with it now. So lets see him be consistent about this. Remember, this was a board who gave us regular european football, and Ozzie agreed with at least 3 choices of manager under them.

Thats one gigantic if.

I hope you're right, but I don't think it's as big an "if" as you'd like to make out. I don't think Ashley thinks we definitely will get relegated, but I'm pretty sure, like me, he thinks it's a not too unrealistic a prospect. It's a bigger risk than he thought when he bought the club, one he's not willing to take, and he's been looking to get out since last season.

I'm basing my assessment of the risk of relegation on how the core of the current squad did last season (with a relatively low injury affected season), and the fact that I don't think we've improved on that squad very much if we've improved at all, rather than basing it on one game against an injury hit Man Utd side (not trying to belittle the result, but it's not an insignificant point - we were overrun until Carrick went off), and an unconvincing home win against Bolton.

:thup:

Fair enough, i just dont see us having one of the 3 weakest squads in the league. i also think the quality of the first team HAS improved and as Keegan proved a good manager could make it work.

How exactly?

Thats one gigantic if.

Why were we looking good again? Was it perhaps the manager who got those bunch of misfits last season to actually start playing football. I think it was. Could be mistaken mind.

Whats your point? You cant look good if you have a crap squad, therefore its not as bad as squad as people would have you believe. Which is my point. Im sad that Keegan has gone - i honestly was loving the outlook of this club when he was in charge - you'll have to tak e my word for it becasue i realise im coming across as anti keegan, but i dont think what he did in his short time is unrepeatable. Im pretty confident that another manager could come in and do a good job as well.

I wasn't even "dishing the dirt" on Shepherd. I was arranging for someone from the Hitzfeld-for-manager campaign to get a right of reply after Shepherd dissed the idea as a "betting scam".

I've no idea what this is supposed to do with the cold, hard fact that all but one of Shepherd's managerial appointments were miserable failures. NE5 seems simply incapable of conducting a rational discussion on this point.

I wasn't even "dishing the dirt" on Shepherd. I was arranging for someone from the Hitzfeld-for-manager campaign to get a right of reply after Shepherd dissed the idea as a "betting scam".

Fair enough. I knew it was something to do with Shepherd as opposed to the club as a whole.

I've no idea what this is supposed to do with the cold, hard fact that all but one of Shepherd's managerial appointments were miserable failures. NE5 seems simply incapable of conducting a rational discussion on this point.

but you agreed with Shepherd that at least 3 of those were good appointments, you agreed with him ?

You are totally incapable of accepting this perfectly truthful point.

I think you should be true to your principles and email the same journo and tell him what a disgrace all the latest situation is and admit that it is a miserable failure in comparison to the regular european football we had under the last board/owners.

Or are you incapable of conducting a rational discussion on this point ?

but you agreed with Shepherd that at least 3 of those were good appointments, you agreed with him ?

I think you should be true to your principles and email the same journo and tell him what a disgrace all the latest situation is and admit that it is a miserable failure in comparison to the regular european football we had under the last board/owners.

WARNING: Irony overload!

It's one of the many irrational things about NE5, that he seems to think that his misreprentation of my opinion re Shepherd's managerial appointments make any difference whatsoever to the simpe fact that all but one of them were failures.

I guess he's just not very adept at dealing with facts.

How exactly?

Supporters are fickle if the team starts to do well. A quality new manager, some good results, and all is forgiven.

Easy to do with the great squad we now have, and with the super setup in place, any manager would be mad not to come surely?

If he's been trying to offload the club for months, why didn't he just do that when Keegan was in charge during the summer?

It's one of the many irrational things about NE5, that he seems to think that his misreprentation of my opinion re Shepherd's managerial appointments make any difference whatsoever to the simpe fact that all but one of them were failures.

I guess he's just not very adept at dealing with facts.

thats the 3rd time you've cut out my comment about the fact that you agreed with at least 3 of the appointed managers ?

Have you sent the email yet ?

WARNING: Irony overload!

the irony is its a cut and paste of Ozzies comment. I bet even he was smart enough to spot that  ;D

How exactly?

Supporters are fickle if the team starts to do well. A quality new manager, some good results, and all is forgiven.

Easy to do with the great squad we now have, and with the super setup in place, any manager would be mad not to come surely?

If he's been trying to offload the club for months, why didn't he just do that when Keegan was in charge during the summer?

Weeeelllllll.........I'm sure he could have got rid of it for a couple of million quid which is all it was worth in 1991, when nobody wanted it.