Goals, Disallowed Goals, Red Cards and Penalties ?

Skirge
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The last lot of games showed some very very bad refereeing and its about time they did something about it instead of just talking about it and having to say sorry after every match for mistakes made.

A video ref to check the above is all thats needed, check the game changing decisions.

Based on how long it generally takes for replay footage on TV to get shown, I would assume an official in a booth somewhere could get any of those results in 30 seconds or less and communicate instantly on those little headsets to the ref.  Have any time spent added on to stoppage time just like any other delay of game.

With some kind of check in place to make sure refs don't become too reliant on it, like deferring all penalty decisions to the booth, I would be in favor.

Only video technology that should be used is goaline technology and even then I'm not completely sold on the idea. How much would we have to talk about if all decisions were "correct".

Only video technology that should be used is goaline technology and even then I'm not completely sold on the idea. How much would we have to talk about if all decisions were "correct".

Surely if all we have to talk about after a match is incorrect decisions, then the game isn't as great as we all think it is?

No chance. It's bad enough in Rugby and that's a stop-start game, and they only use it for try's.

Goaline technology would be fine if it didnt stop the play but for something that happens about 10 times in the 380 games a season it's not worth getting arsed about.

if they were ever going to use video technology, then surely the best way would be to do it like in Tennis, where you get 3 challenges to use, rather than having to check everything.

Will never happen.  FIFA have a policy that the game should be played to the same rules at every level, from school level through to senior internationals.

If there are no TV replays available for a match in the Uzbekistan Sunday league there'll be no replays for anyone.

There just needs to be more consistency in refereeing.  I've no problem with shit referees, the problem lies in referees giving all the crap decisions to one team.  With a consistently shit referee you know that there's a chance for either team to get a soft free-kick, penalty, etc. but with an inconsistent referee (or one who is easily swayed by the crowd/manager) you know there's no chance that one team is ever going to get a decision in their favour unless its really blatant e.g. penalties against Man Ure at Old Trafford - when it does happen its headline news.

Still can't believe that ref gave a pen to wankerboy at the weekend btw. So obvious it wasn't a foul. Plus anyway even if it was a foul, he shouldn't be giving them to the diving twat.

And how could it be "penalty's"?

Guest DarkSchneider

if they were ever going to use video technology, then surely the best way would be to do it like in Tennis, where you get 3 challenges to use, rather than having to check everything.

This would be great. Even 2 challanges would do.

Why all the fuss about the human factor... The teams are human, aren't they. Why should one that doesn't belong to the team have so much influence on the result?

Guest elbee909

I don't see why any video system would need to slow down the game at all.  All you'd need is an iPhone sized device that the ref can use, with multiple cameras streaming video to it that the ref can select between, and have it on a time delay (so it's always 10 secs behind).  So if something contentious happens he can just check look at his device, wait e.g. 10 seconds, and it shows what happened from multiple selectable angles around the ball and he can shuttle the video back and forth as easy as pie.

It could be discrete feeds just to the ref or it could be displayed on a big screen so everyone could see it, whatever works.  If the ref has control over the system then he still maintains final say.

I don't see why any video system would need to slow down the game at all.  All you'd need is an iPhone sized device that the ref can use, with multiple cameras streaming video to it that the ref can select between, and have it on a time delay (so it's always 10 secs behind).  So if something contentious happens he can just check look at his device, wait e.g. 10 seconds, and it shows what happened from multiple selectable angles around the ball and he can shuttle the video back and forth as easy as pie.

It could be discrete feeds just to the ref or it could be displayed on a big screen so everyone could see it, whatever works.  If the ref has control over the system then he still maintains final say.

so by the time the ref stops to look at 5 different angles,bearing in mind he's either stopped play,possibly for no reason,or play has went on till it breaks down for him to check,maybe a couple of minutes down the line.

The only thing they should introduce technology for is telling whether or not the ball has crossed the line. That's the only thing that is 100% factual; it either crossed the line or it did not. Every other decision is subject to interpretation, and should stay that way.

It'll never happen anyway, due to the reasons ikri pointed out.

All of the above are having a massive effect on the outcome of games, players sent off when there was no need, players staying on when they should have seen a red, offside goals being given all the time, goals being disallowed for offside when they are on.

I would rather have a 30 second delay than a wrong decision.

We lost at the weekend if the ref had got things right we may have won, we would have had a draw for sure.

Their 1st goal offside NO DOUBT! A clear pen for handball not given! Nelson should have been off for that 2nd tackle on Zoggy but I am not wanting video for things like that unless its a straight red then the ref MUST make sure before taking that action.

All of the above are having a massive effect on the outcome of games, players sent off when there was no need, players staying on when they should have seen a red, offside goals being given all the time, goals being disallowed for offside when they are on.

I would rather have a 30 second delay than a wrong decision.

We lost at the weekend if the ref had got things right we may have won, we would have had a draw for sure.

Their 1st goal offside NO DOUBT! A clear pen for handball not given! Nelson should have been off for that 2nd tackle on Zoggy but I am not wanting video for things like that unless its a straight red then the ref MUST make sure before taking that action.

it wouldn't be a 30 sec delay though. it would a 30 sec delay every time there was a tackle,every corner would see each push analyzed and a game of football would last as long as an american football match.

The last lot of games showed some very very bad refereeing and its about time they did something about it instead of just talking about it and having to say sorry after every match for mistakes made.

A video ref to check the above is all thats needed, check the game changing decisions.

A video ref is not the only thing you need. For one thing you will need several cameras around the pitch to ensure that every angle of an incident is visible. Goal line technology may not use cameras but in this case, something else will be required. All this technology is fine in the premiership but the FA have come out and said many times that they don't want to introduce it because it cant be included in all leagues, nevermind cup competitions when the big dogs meet an unknown.

Even with video replays, goal line and touch line technology a lot of decisions still rely on personal judgement. Home fans will think differently to away fans, whilst neutral spectators will support the team they want to win. Take the scenario in the rugby world cup, even with various video replays, a try wasn't given to England despite millions claiming it should have stood - someone will always say its incorrect.

I do agree goal line and touch line technology should start to be included into the game. The technology is there and unlike many saying, 'we will still need video replays', why not use a light like they use in ice hockey. I personally know the technology for this existed over 5 years ago but the top footballing bodies declined it due to the fact the game would not be consistent through from top flight international games to amateur sunday league.

At the end of the day, these decisions can go one of two ways, and depending on who you support, decisions normally level themselves out over the season.