Favourite non-NUFC player in the Premiership, now and in the past

Syrette

Essien for current player and Okocha for past are great shouts. I remember a free kick JJ took from the left wing with his right foot once, outside of his boot, round the left of the wall and in the top corner. I've only ever seen it once, but it was stunning.

Essien for current player and Okocha for past are great shouts. I remember a free kick JJ took from the left wing with his right foot once, outside of his boot, round the left of the wall and in the top corner. I've only ever seen it once, but it was stunning.

Was against Villa in the Coca-Cola Cup iirc, before he went to the African Nations.

He was a fantastic player to watch.

Always used to like Mark Draper when he was at Villa for some irrational reason. :lol:

I always liked Ian Taylor myself. Underrated.

I was definitely too young to appreciate him myself at the time (can't have been more than 9 when he left Villa) but in hindsight Paul McGrath was a sublime defender. On a similar note (in reference to their positions and their off the field troubles) I've always had time for Tony Adams as well. Guess I just liked their leadership skills and honesty as well as their talent.

Was against Villa in the Coca-Cola Cup iirc, before he went to the African Nations.

He was a fantastic player to watch.

You'll go a long, long way to see a goal as good as that. That was magnificent!

Guest timmy boy

Past - Giggs (of the mid to late 90's),when he was full of running and tricks.Obviously he is still playing but his game has changed so much because his legs have gone.

Present  - Torres

I'm a big fan of Rooney. Per-obably the best English player that I've seen.

I much preferred the pre-Man Utd Rooney. Although I wouldn't go as far as saying he's the best English player I've ever seen. Still class mind.

On his day, he's fantastic to watch. Recently against Croatia and Blackburn he was amazing.

Too bad his day is once every couple of months.

He must have had a good month then. I'll make a point of avoiding him until December.

On his day, he's fantastic to watch. Recently against Croatia and Blackburn he was amazing.

Well obviously I'm not going to agree with that. Over the last couple of years, we've not always seen him at his best, because he's not been not been played at his best role. The price of versatility is that you get asked to fit in around the needs of the team.

Let's also remember the lad is still 22. He's still about six years off his peak.

The performance I remember is when he was still a teenager, and he'd just moved to Man U. It was his first game back at Everton, and he had death threats, abuse every time he touched the ball - a lot of pressure on a young lad. He played a brilliant game with a cool head, and not a hint of nerves or undue aggression. Balls of steel.

A player who could yet win us a World Cup.

Well obviously I'm not going to agree with that. Over the last couple of years, we've not always seen him at his best, because he's not been not been played at his best role. The price of versatility is that you get asked to fit in around the needs of the team.

Let's also remember the lad is still 22. He's still about six years off his peak.

The performance I remember is when he was still a teenager, and he'd just moved to Man U. It was his first game back at Everton, and he had death threats, abuse every time he touched the ball - a lot of pressure on a young lad. He played a brilliant game with a cool head, and not a hint of nerves or undue aggression. Balls of steel.

Age doesn't come into it at all.  The best we've seen of Rooney was at Euro 2004 at only 18, when he actually looked like a world class player.  4 years later and he still hasn't been able to reproduce that kind of form.

Not forgetting the world's best player is only 21 and light years ahead of Rooney.

Age doesn't come into it at all.   The best we've seen of Rooney was at Euro 2004 at only 18, when he actually looked like a world class player.  4 years later and he still hasn't been able to reproduce that kind of form.

Not forgetting the world's best player is only 21 and light years ahead of Rooney.

To be fair - Rooney at 18 was a raw natural talent who was prodigal. At 22 he's actually the better team player. Less exciting to watch but a hell of a lot more useful for the team.

Although having said that id take 2004 over present Rooney.