Stan Collymores defence of Ashley Cole on the Radio

Doug

It came over as patently obvious in his replies last night that Stan has no comprehension of how low an opinion the man in the street has of people like Cole who revel in the selfish playboy lifestyle they lead without a care in the world or any respect for the rest of us.

I believe the inequalities in society are going to have to change in the hard times ahead. I can think of no better place than starting with the unsustainable excesses of footballer renumeration and talkshow hosts who have the priviledge of using the airways in our homes to thrus their opinions onto us. I am afraid I had to turn Stan off last night as an opportunity to boo Ashley Cole would be too good too miss for me. I understand the team motivation argument but there is a bigger context to set the treatment of Cole into for me. Cole would do well to analise this and have a good look at himself as a result. A retrostpective reflection of times past would not go amiss for Stan either to understand why the public may react the way we do.

Guest Stephen927

I don't think there's any defence for booing him.

He may be the biggest cunt in the world but when he's in the England colours he needs 100% support just like any other player. What benefit does booing your own players have for the team?

Guest Slippery Sam

If you want to be taken seriously you should have said remuneration.

Booing because it's Ashley Cole is okay is it? What utter bullshit. Why wasn't he booed from the start then, instead of after a mistake??? Shite.

People have a right to voice their opinions at a game. After all, they pay their money. Cole has made himself a target and I have no sympathy for him at all.

You might believe you have bought the right to voice an opinion, but don't be under the illusion that it's going to have anything other than a negative effect on the targeted player and the rest of the team.

If you still think knocking your own teams confidence rather than supporting them during the game is a good thing then I can't argue with that, but please stay away from SJP.

People have a right to voice their opinions at a game. After all, they pay their money. Cole has made himself a target and I have no sympathy for him at all.

You might believe you have bought the right to voice an opinion, but don't be under the illusion that it's going to have anything other than a negative effect on the targeted player and the rest of the team.

If you still think knocking your own teams confidence rather than supporting them during the game is a good thing then I can't argue with that, but please stay away from SJP.

Booing at SJP is a world away from booing Ashley Clole and is absolutely unacceptable IMO

I heard the boos, what was that about then? I never read a newspaper so wouldn't have a clue what he did or didn't do.

Maybe that's the answer though, don't read newspapers, listen to radio or watch TV and you'll never boo anyone unless they're just plain crap at their chosen sport.

Guest Stephen927
The FA has labelled the England fans who booed Ashley Cole during Saturday's 5-1 win against Kazakhstan as "crazy".

Cole was singled out for abuse by a minority of fans after playing a sloppy pass that led to the visitors' goal.

"It is crazy that a section of our own supporters are booing one of our own players," said an FA spokesperson.

However Kevin Miles of the Football Supporters' Federation said: "People have paid their money and have every right to express their opinion."

The fans' treatment of Cole was high on the agenda for manager Fabio Capello and stand-in captain Rio Ferdinand in their post-match interviews.

Capello suggested the booing was unhelpful, while Ferdinand went further, saying those responsible should feel 'ashamed'.

The FA spokesperson agreed, adding that booing individuals appears to be a feature of the new Wembley, with Cole's Chelsea team-mate Frank Lampard and Tottenham's David Bentley previous victims.

"(Booing) is clearly not going to help the team during the course of a game, and certainly not the individual being booed," they said.

"Unfortunately, we are all aware that we have had problems of this kind since we have come back to the new Wembley.

"That is why Fabio Capello stressed before the game we needed the crowd with us.

"The supporters really got behind us for the vast majority of the game, and there was a great atmosphere during the first half in particular.

"Several players have said they were encouraged to see large numbers in the crowd applauding Ashley Cole to counter-balance those booing him.

"It is unfair on all the fans who have come to the game with the best intentions of supporting the team throughout."

Miles, who is the supporters' federation's international co-ordinator, agreed that booing is rarely productive, but insisted that only a minority of fans were involved.

"I hardly heard it, though I was aware of it. It seemed to be a minority," he said.

"Once the team have gone out there and are playing, fans should do what they can to try to improve or support what they are trying to do.

"I can't imagine a situation in which a player being booed every time he touches the ball, no matter what mistake he's made before then, is going to feel more confident or lifted by the experience."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7666008.stm

Guest Sniffer

Problem is that cole is such a twat that any opportunity to vent is too good an opportunity to pass up.

Wish he'd retire to prolong his chelski shelf life..

I think half the season Cole was booed was because of the standard of opposition. Realistically, we knew we were going to win anyway. In a more important, close game, I doubt there would have been as many boos.

I despise Cole, think he's the pinnacle of a selfish, arrogant t**t.

I don't particularly sympathise with him either.

But I don't condone the booing. (Aye, I've retracted my previous statement).

Customers (fans) have a rent to vent, surely? The booing was moronic but footballers should not remain above criticism. As for Cole - he's pretty much hated by many fans because he's an arrogant little bastard who thinks the whole world should revolve around him. Any opportunity that he gives, will be snapped up as a chance to give him stick.

A lot of it I feel (in general) that footballers are now further away from the fans, than they have ever been. Joe Public isn't afraid to show disgust for players turning in half arsed performances, in return for a king's ransom in wages.

Booing at SJP is a world away from booing Ashley Clole and is absolutely unacceptable IMO

Well if you're English and Ashley Cole is playing for England, then booing him is no different from booing say Beye if you support Newcastle.  Twat or not, it's moronic and counterproductive.

The point is if you hate him that much and feel the necessity to, boo him when Chelsea play Newcastle or any other team if you must, don't boo him when he is representing the three lions. If we booed Titus Bramble every time he made a mistake for us...oh wait a minute...