England vs Team We Should Beat: Part II

Neil

I still reckon Heskey's shit tbh. Thought he did very little last night; the run for Rooney's first was powerful but thought was pretty much his only contribution. If we're gonna employ a striker to hold the ball up, knock it on, keep the ball in the final third - then Heskey really isn't this player. Rooney didn't find his headers and he didn't find Rooney's runs. And for a big centre-forward, he can't finish for shit, either. He's had atleast three or four headers/shots directly infront of goal from crosses in these last two games.

I'd still have someone off Rooney, probably Owen. We'd score more goals like that. We're playing some decent stuff at the moment i suppose - we were pretty good in the second half yesterday - but it still looks pretty unbalanced to me. We only had one wing to our game yesterday and that was with Walcott on the right, who isn't a winger imo. Can't say i've been impressed with him at all.

So like i say, Capello's got us chugging along fairly comfortably, but i don't think he's found the answers, i doubt anyone thinks that. Still needs to be one of Gerrard or Lampard. Still needs to be someone off Rooney. Still needs to be two wingers. All imo, of course.

That's not Italian, though...

I still reckon Heskey's shit tbh. Thought he did very little last night; the run for Rooney's first was powerful but thought was pretty much his only contribution. If we're gonna employ a striker to hold the ball up, knock it on, keep the ball in the final third - then Heskey really isn't this player. Rooney didn't find his headers and he didn't find Rooney's runs. And for a big centre-forward, he can't finish for shit, either. He's had atleast three or four headers/shots directly infront of goal from crosses in these last two games.

I'd still have someone off Rooney, probably Owen. We'd score more goals like that. We're playing some decent stuff at the moment i suppose - we were pretty good in the second half yesterday - but it still looks pretty unbalanced to me. We only had one wing to our game yesterday and that was with Walcott on the right, who isn't a winger imo. Can't say i've been impressed with him at all.

So like i say, Capello's got us chugging along fairly comfortably, but i don't think he's found the answers, i doubt anyone thinks that. Still needs to be one of Gerrard or Lampard. Still needs to be someone off Rooney. Still needs to be two wingers. All imo, of course.

That's not Italian, though...

I'd agree that Heskey and Rooney are both support strikers in essence. But they do offer a hell of a lot to general team play other than just goals, and if you have goals in your midfielders then you don't necessarily need strikers to be judged by golas only. Especially if they are scoring in any case.

i just ant get away with comments like "Rooney is over rated" is he fuck. Rooney is a class act. He is a top drawer player. Even when he's not on top of his game, i still love watching him. Touch, vision, passing ability, work rate - all World Class.

Agree.

Got a sneaky feeling had he not been English, many of those saying he isn't world class would have a different opinion.

Though I suppose it grinds your teeth reading about how amazing a player is week in week out, I get the same with Ibrahimovic, he barely even have to touch the ball for the journos over here to go mental.

EDIT: Would like to see Rooney being given a tried in the England team with a Drogba-type role, with two of Young, Cole, SWP and Walcott playing off him. Could possibly get Lampard and Gerrard working in midfield as well, with Lampard playing the same role as the does for Chelsea, Gerrard doing Ballacks job and Hargreaves, Carrick or Barry playing in Essiens role. Would definitely prefer Hargreaves out of those three though, he's the only one who is even remotely close to Essien in terms of passing.

I'd be willing to put money that Heskey is going to become the next fucking Owen Hargreaves.  Has 2 or 3 decent games and there's just a massive jizzfest over him.  The hype that Hargreaves got is unbelievable, and now, surprise surprise, he's struggling at Man Utd and nowhere near an England team that's playing it's best football in decades.  Heskey has always been a sub-par and really streaky player, and has played most of his career out of the spotlight, bar a few good seasons. 

Yes, if I were picking the team right now, he'd be in it, things are working, but everyone needs to calm down about Heskey.

Best football we've played in decades? Howay, man.

We've beaten 3 teams we shouldn't ever contemplate losing to and won one very good game away to Croatia. A great start for sure but it's worrying how carried away people are getting.