The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Guest Bolton Zulu

I think our money could be better spent might be more accurate,

Campbell is finished, I wouldn't want Crouch, Richards is going to still be far too expensive (and isn't as good as the money he'd cost), the Riise deal would be too expensive based on what we want him for, & I can't see Pennant coming here.

We are lacking class in central midfield & there aren't any central midfielders on that list.

And when has that fact stopped you before?

Check you out.

Eh?

I think our money could be better spent might be more accurate,

Campbell is finished, I wouldn't want Crouch, Richards is going to still be far too expensive (and isn't as good as the money he'd cost), the Riise deal would be too expensive based on what we want him for, & I can't see Pennant coming here.

We are lacking class in central midfield & there aren't any central midfielders on that list.

And when has that fact stopped you before?

Check you out.

:lol:

Shay leaving really ould underline the utter state of turmoil we're in. He maybe isn't now, but some point in his career post-Bobby, he's been world class. He is the definiteion of loyalty and if he were to leave now, it's just prove what an utter fucking mess this club is. I wouldn't blame him either.

Given to Arsenal for £8m according to the rags. Think it was the Express.

'Unhappy Shay on his way'

seemed like he wanted away after the whistle on sunday

Saw that :nods:

What happened, exactly? Didn't catch any of the footage (gutted about that, btw).

Given to Arsenal for £8m according to the rags. Think it was the Express.

'Unhappy Shay on his way'

seemed like he wanted away after the whistle on sunday

Saw that :nods:

What happened, exactly? Didn't catch any of the footage (gutted about that, btw).

stormed off,ran off the pitch and up the tunnel/ not only not shaking anyone's hand but pushing away anyone who attempted to.

paddy f***ing kenny this morning. paddy f***ing kenny.

I would be suprised if they brought Paddy Kenny if Shay was to leave. They have a replacement (good but nowhere near the class of Given) in Steve Harper and good up and coming Goalkeepers with good potential in Krul and Forster. If Kenny is to come in to this Football Club it will really cement my opinion that Kinnear won't be able to produce or attract the right type of player that I feel we need. Not expecting superstars or multi-million pound signings just players that will improve us. Paddy Kenny is no better than Shay's back up therefore no point in signing him. Plus he would stagnate the potential development of Krul and Forster.

Seriously hope Upson comes in now. If one of Bassong/Coloccini/Beye gets injured, we're well and truly f***ed

A reference to Taylor no doubt.

I'm not defending him, as i think he's just about shot as a centrehalf. I've maintained that his career here - in the heart of our defence - has been at the crossroads for a year or so now.

Right-back is his best position imo. Less of the paddock to patrol, less space to get confused in. Enjoyed his best run of form under Souness, when employed as a RB, where he simply has to just play off one or two widemen - rather having to worry about sort of movement into the box one has to expect inside the box.

In the middle of the park simply doesn't know how to defend space, or knowing when to commit to an attacker's run into the box & when to hold his position by reading & reacting.

For all his faults as a marking centrehalf, when the defense employed a high line, Andy O'brien was a dependable defender when the side looked to defend the fort. He was aware of the space he defended and movement around him. Taylor isn't, and his weakness' - as mentioned above - is suicidal within Kinnear's more 'defend-at-all-costs' orientated mindset.

Guest The Libertine

I will not begrudge Shay moving to Arsenal one bit!

Tottenham however, is a different kettle of fish

it is. we'd get gareth bale.

if given did go to tottenham then i'd question his motives. we're too similar a team/club for him to consider it advancement.

Saw in The Journal we're after Kevin Doyle. I would take him I have to say, however we need a couple central midfield players better than what we have currently playing, someone at least to play alongside Barton. Another centre back who needs to be good enough to start most games. We can't rely on Bassong all the time and he can't be made to play every game if we have shite in front of him as it will hamper his development. Someone with Premiership experience. And two full backs are also a must.

Jimmy Bullard

Scott Brown

Kevin Doyle

The defenders are hard to pick, but we really need to spend a bit of money to attract what we need. Ashley is staying now so he needs to put his money where his mouth is. If he can justify £8million for a 6th striker, he can stump up the cash for positions we need now.

I'd try for the following, and i think we'd have a reasonable chance of getting them:

Jonny Evans

James McFadden

Papa Bouba Diop

Baptista (loan)

A decent left back

That addresses all the positions we need cover for except right back, but if i remember correctly Evans has played there in the past.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I'd try for the following, and i think we'd have a reasonable chance of getting them:

Jonny Evans

James McFadden

Papa Bouba Diop

Baptista (loan)

A decent left back

That addresses all the positions we need cover for except right back, but if i remember correctly Evans has played there in the past.

Think we would be a good second to a lot of teams for these players

Newcastle United are the latest club to be linked with a bid for Cardiff City midfielder Joe Ledley.

Reports in the North East suggest the Bluebirds star is one of three Championship targets manager Joe Kinnear would like to bring to the club in the January transfer window.

Kinnear is set to meet club owner Mike Ashley today to discuss his transfer kitty ahead of the window opening on Thursday.

The Magpies are thought to be interested in Ledley, Wolves England under-21 international Michael Kightly and Reading striker Kevin Doyle.

Fellow Premiership strugglers Stoke City could also renew their interest in Ledley after having a £6 million summer bid rejected by Cardiff.

Everton and Spurs are among the other clubs linked with a bid for the current City skipper despite chairman Peter Ridsdale insisting the club has received no offers for the player.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footballnation/cardiff-city-fc/2008/12/30/newcastle-linked-with-bid-for-joe-ledley-91466-22574442/

Guest Jawesome

Doyle and Ledley yes, definitely, but not Kightly.  How about another look at Giles Barnes btw?  He's coming back from injury and people seem to have forgotten about him.  Maybe with Derby's shittyness at the minute we could manage to nab him for a couple of million.