The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Guest sicko2ndbest

By MARTIN TAYLOR, 27/12/2008

ARSENE WENGER will start his radical transfer-window surgery with a three-pronged raid on Newcastle.

The Arsenal boss has targeted Toon trio Shay Given, Steven Taylor and Charles N’Zogbia in an attempt to fix the Gunners’ flagging season.

Wenger has been forced into the January sales after seeing his inept troops slide out of the Champions League positions.

And with skipper Cesc Fabregas crocked for virtually the rest of the season, he wants to move quickly and relatively cheaply to strengthen at The Emirates. His scouts have been scouring Europe for a keeper to rival Manuel Almunia but have come back with the news that there is nobody available better than Given for the price.

The Republic of Ireland stopper would set Arsenal back around £8million — which would appeal to the Frenchman’s sense of value with his £60,000-a-week wages unlikely to threaten Arsenal’s pay structure.

Radar

Sources close to Given have made it clear they believe he will be sold by the end of the transfer window with Arsenal his preferred destination.

Wenger was also lifted by the news Given travelled back to Germany three weeks ago and was given the all-clear by the surgeon who treated him following his collision with Marlon Harewood.

But it isn’t just Given, 32, who is on Arsenal’s radar.

Under-fire Wenger is desperate for cover at centre-half and wants Taylor (above left) to help provide an English-style spine to the team.

Taylor, 22, has been out of favour at St James’ Park for much of the season but has forced his way back into the team recently and Wenger has long been an admirer.

The Geordie signed a £30,000-a-week deal last season but knows he could almost double his money with a move to The Emirates as well as the chance to play under Wenger.

The final part of the jigsaw is French midfielder N’Zogbia (above centre) who is out of contract at the end of the season and has made it perfectly clear he sees his career away from Tyneside.

Toon boss Joe Kinnear is resigned to losing N’Zogbia, 22, but would be anxious to keep both Given and Taylor, although a joint bid of around £15m for the pair would be tempting as he looks to rebuild and strengthen.

Toon owner Mike Ashley is unwilling to invest heavily and has told Kinnear he will have to sell before he starts wheeling and dealing in the transfer window.

By MARTIN TAYLOR, 27/12/2008

ARSENE WENGER will start his radical transfer-window surgery with a three-pronged raid on Newcastle.

The Arsenal boss has targeted Toon trio Shay Given, Steven Taylor and Charles N’Zogbia in an attempt to fix the Gunners’ flagging season.

Wenger has been forced into the January sales after seeing his inept troops slide out of the Champions League positions.

And with skipper Cesc Fabregas crocked for virtually the rest of the season, he wants to move quickly and relatively cheaply to strengthen at The Emirates. His scouts have been scouring Europe for a keeper to rival Manuel Almunia but have come back with the news that there is nobody available better than Given for the price.

The Republic of Ireland stopper would set Arsenal back around £8million — which would appeal to the Frenchman’s sense of value with his £60,000-a-week wages unlikely to threaten Arsenal’s pay structure.

Radar

Sources close to Given have made it clear they believe he will be sold by the end of the transfer window with Arsenal his preferred destination.

Wenger was also lifted by the news Given travelled back to Germany three weeks ago and was given the all-clear by the surgeon who treated him following his collision with Marlon Harewood.

But it isn’t just Given, 32, who is on Arsenal’s radar.

Under-fire Wenger is desperate for cover at centre-half and wants Taylor (above left) to help provide an English-style spine to the team.

Taylor, 22, has been out of favour at St James’ Park for much of the season but has forced his way back into the team recently and Wenger has long been an admirer.

The Geordie signed a £30,000-a-week deal last season but knows he could almost double his money with a move to The Emirates as well as the chance to play under Wenger.

The final part of the jigsaw is French midfielder N’Zogbia (above centre) who is out of contract at the end of the season and has made it perfectly clear he sees his career away from Tyneside.

Toon boss Joe Kinnear is resigned to losing N’Zogbia, 22, but would be anxious to keep both Given and Taylor, although a joint bid of around £15m for the pair would be tempting as he looks to rebuild and strengthen.

Toon owner Mike Ashley is unwilling to invest heavily and has told Kinnear he will have to sell before he starts wheeling and dealing in the transfer window.

sums up news of the world.

To be honest Im suprised we've held on to Shay for so long, the mans been easily the best keeper in the league for so many many years, technically he may not be as good as others, but for pure consistency and performances he's been there and done it.

The only keepers who have proved there worth as much as Given are Jaaskaleinen (sp) and Friedel.

I don't think N'Zogbia will be here much longer, I wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor move on in the near future either unless he can get his place back in the team.

I'll drive Steven "Hollywood Tackle" Taylor to his next destination come January, he's f***ing useless.

Can i pay for your petrol? Please.

Guest labrowski

I don't think N'Zogbia will be here much longer, I wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor move on in the near future either unless he can get his place back in the team.

I'll drive Steven "Hollywood Tackle" Taylor to his next destination come January, he's f***ing useless.

Can i pay for your petrol? Please.

Can i get the round in once we drop him off?

Everton have launched a bid for Nigerian international Peter Odemwingie, skysports.com understands.

The 27-year-old, who can play as a striker or a winger, has already stated his desire to move to the Premier League.

Now Everton have made their move and they have opened talks with his club Lokomotiv Moscow.

Toffees chief David Moyes has already confirmed that his club will be limited to loan deals during the window, and one of those he is looking to finalise is for Odemwingie.

Talks

The player's advisor Chris Nathaniel confirmed that talks were ongoing.

"I can confirm that Everton have made contact with me about Peter, and they want to take him on loan," Nathaniel told skysports.com.

"At the moment Lokomotiv appear to want to sell him, but talks are continuing between the two clubs."

Nathaniel confirmed that there were other clubs looking at Odemwingie, with the likes of Tottenham, Newcastle and West Ham linked with bids.

"There are other clubs looking at Peter," he confirmed

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_4706839,00.html

wasn`t Nathaniel the one heading the Nigerian buyout of our club supposedly a few months back? Probably more bollox then

When did Taylor force his way back into the team? All utter shite as usual.

Didn't you know? He paid Cattermole to take out Beye so he could come back into the team.

N’Zogbia who is out of contract at the end of the season

Wow! Is it June 2012 already? I must have been in a coma.

Heres what im expecting, not what im wanting just what I reckon Joe is capable of with limited funds in January, Im praying butt goes, yesterday was the worst performance ive ever seen from a toon player, including brambles shambles. Summer time we need rid of shola, enrique, xisco, smith, edgar, taylor (what the fuck does he keep pointing at?), lua lua, and carrol. Not much work then eh?

Out:

Viduka

Cacapa

Butt

Owen

Nzogbia

in:

Pennant

Sol Cambell

Crouch

Micah Richards

Risse

Heres what im expecting, not what im wanting just what I reckon Joe is capable of with limited funds in January, Im praying butt goes, yesterday was the worst performance ive ever seen from a toon player, including brambles shambles. Summer time we need rid of shola, enrique, xisco, smith, edgar, taylor (what the fuck does he keep pointing at?), lua lua, and carrol. Not much work then eh?

Out:

Viduka

Cacapa

Butt

Owen

Nzogbia

in:

Pennant

Sol Cambell

Crouch

Micah Richards

Risse

I expect us to sign none of that list tbh

Out:

Viduka

Cacapa

Butt

Owen

Nzogbia

in:

Pennant

Sol Cambell

Crouch

Micah Richards

Risse

Wouldn't want any of them either tbh.

Guest shearer_206

Out:

Viduka

Cacapa

Butt

Owen

Nzogbia

in:

Pennant

Sol Cambell

Crouch

Micah Richards

Risse

Wouldn't mind any of them after the shit I've had to watch the last two games! ...

Out:

Viduka

Cacapa

Butt

Owen

Nzogbia

in:

Pennant

Sol Cambell

Crouch

Micah Richards

Risse

Wouldn't mind any of them after the shit I've had to watch the last two games! ...

I think our money could be better spent might be more accurate,

Campbell is finished, I wouldn't want Crouch, Richards is going to still be far too expensive (and isn't as good as the money he'd cost), the Riise deal would be too expensive based on what we want him for, & I can't see Pennant coming here.

We are lacking class in central midfield & there aren't any central midfielders on that list.

Heres what im expecting, not what im wanting just what I reckon Joe is capable of with limited funds in January, Im praying butt goes, yesterday was the worst performance ive ever seen from a toon player, including brambles shambles. Summer time we need rid of shola, enrique, xisco, smith, edgar, taylor (what the f*** does he keep pointing at?), lua lua, and carrol. Not much work then eh?

Out:

Viduka

Cacapa

Butt

Owen

Nzogbia

in:

Pennant

Sol Cambell

Crouch

Micah Richards

Risse

So you've got limited funds but think you can buy two England internationals who are prize assets at their clubs? Eh?  ???

Guest Bolton Zulu

Campbell is finished, I wouldn't want Crouch, Richards is going to still be far too expensive (and isn't as good as the money he'd cost), the Riise deal would be too expensive based on what we want him for, & I can't see Pennant coming here.

We are lacking class in central midfield & there aren't any central midfielders on that list.

And when has that fact stopped you before?

And when has that fact stopped you before?

Check you out.