The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Guest toonlass

its not an obsession, but he is more creative and mobile plus at the end of the day it would be an extra body in our team, would be nice to choose from a bullard/barton/butt/guthrie CM partnership, and we know he can cut it in the prem, might not set the world alight but you always take a gamble when you bring a player in from another league

Just what we need though really another mercenary. Have we not got enough of those already?

The best thing we could do now is bring in Houllier as manager. Not only is he a very good, experienced manager, he also has a proven record of youth development - the work he did as Head of Technical Development for the French FA was instrumental in them winning the World Cup and the European Championships.

would love him here.

Me too, would be amazing.

Was the first person we should have turned to when keegan left. we would be in a completely different situation right now if he had been brought in.

Owen would more than likely have re-signed, more players would be interested in joining us and might well have already done that.

Given our current situation he would be a great choice to take over in the summer, there will be few better options available.

He'd of been my 3rd choice behind Deschamps and Zico.

Deschamps becasue he's young talented knows Wise and will have a good grasp of the market, and Zico becasue he's used to working in this type of set up, has a decent coaching record and is a huge name in the game both like playing attacking football.

Houllier might actually appeal to Ashley as he might fit the system quite well and is also a 'name' that might pacify the fans for a bit.

Almost dare to dream it might happen!

:'( please dont do this. i cant take the pain!

....FWIW, I cant believe we keep overlooking Louis van Gaal. He's exactly what we need.

The best thing we could do now is bring in Houllier as manager. Not only is he a very good, experienced manager, he also has a proven record of youth development - the work he did as Head of Technical Development for the French FA was instrumental in them winning the World Cup and the European Championships.

would love him here.

Was the first person we should have turned to when keegan left. we would be in a completely different situation right now if he had been brought in.

Owen would more than likely have re-signed, more players would be interested in joining us and might well have already done that.

Given our current situation he would be a great choice to take over in the summer, there will be few better options available.

Deschamps becasue he's young talented knows Wise and will have a good grasp of the market, and Zico becasue he's used to working in this type of set up, has a decent coaching record and is a huge name in the game both like playing attacking football.

Houllier might actually appeal to Ashley as he might fit the system quite well and is also a 'name' that might pacify the fans for a bit.

....FWIW, I cant believe we keep overlooking Louis van Gaal. He's exactly what we need.

Who's overlooking who?

would love him here.

Who's overlooking who?

The NUFC Board. Not us. Maybe should have made it clearer haha

Newcastle United have inquired about signing Michael Johnson during discussions about the possible move of Shay Given, the Ireland goalkeeper, to Manchester City. Newcastle appear determined to keep Given, but they remain keen on Johnson, the midfield player who was offered to West Ham United as part of City’s attempt to sign Scott Parker this month. That has fuelled the belief that City are willing to sell the England Under-21 midfield player, who signed a new five-year contract in September, when he was attracting interest from Everton and Arsenal. Johnson, 20, impressed at the start of last season but a pelvic injury has restricted him to eight appearances this campaign, most recently in September.

Newcastle’s attitude to Given has encouraged Tottenham Hotspur that they may be able to sign Steve Harper, the goalkeeper who has six months left on his contract at St James’ Park, should they fail with a move for Carlo Cudicini, whose high wages at Chelsea are a problem for the Tyneside club.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article5576278.ece

From the same article - Lyons have been put off by Newcastle’s £8 million valuation of Charles N’Zogbia, the winger who wants to leave St James’ Park. The French club want to take Julien Faubert on loan with a view to a permanent deal in the summer, but West Ham are keen to sell the winger this month

would love it if we kept given and got johnson

Unfortunately it doesn't work like.

"We want you to give us Michael Johnson..."

"Oh, in exchange for Given?"

"Er.....no"

:lol:

Even though I'm pissed off at the lack of first team players coming in, it's great to see us continuing the youth policy. Hate to say it, but Ashley and Wise deserve some credit for that aspect of the club.

To be fair, bringing in youngsters is the easy bit.

yeah, but it haven´t been easy for the previous managers! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS STRATEGY....it will only make the club better and stronger! We only need to find a manager who can start practising a system for all our teams through the ranks to follow....like ajax!

Its the only way forward....and its cheap and interesting to follow they youngsters mature!

i know we need proven first team players but happy to see ashley is thinking long term and it have been a mystery me for long time that we hardly brought any talent in? But guess its not as fancy as buying players like owen,luque and boumsong :blush:

Bringing them in is easy. Bringing them through and developing them is difficult.

i was being ironic.....none of the previous managers have seemed to focus on developing youth players.....but then again, they havent had long time to do it before they got axed!

cant believe we weren't in the mix for bullard, surely we could of raised 5 mil (the milner money alone would have sufficed), and regardless of the turmoil we are in we are a much bigger club than hull, so if the player had to choose, then im sure it would have been us, on the other hand, optimistically thinking,  the reason we weren't in for him could be due to the fact we have 'bigger irons in the fire', or are in negotiations with similar players already :idiot2:, hope to christ i am right

Can't see the obsession with Bullard tbh. He would offer nothing more to our team than we already have.

Agreed.

What we already have is absolute shit.

Besiktas stopper offered to Magpies

Jan 24 2009 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United have been offered the chance to sign Turkish international defender Gökhan Zan on loan until the end of the season, but manager Joe Kinnear is still confident he can land other targets.

The Besiktas centre-back has been touted around a number of Premier League clubs after his Turkish employers indicated they were willing to allow the 27-year-old to leave this month.

Having initially looked to sell a player who has been capped 27 times by his country, Besiktas have since let it be known they could be willing to allow the 6ft 4in stopper to move to England on loan with the possibility of a permanent deal at the end of the season.

That has attracted a cash-strapped Newcastle’s interest, but Kinnear is also looking at other targets who he feels may be more suitable to the rigours of the Premier League. With reports in Scotland also claiming Celtic are keen to try and offload their experienced centre-half Bobo Baldé to United, the Magpies have not been short on options when it comes to potential defensive targets. The Guinea international is out of contract with Celtic at the end of the season and will not sign an extension.

As a result, the Scottish club have also suggested they may be willing to let him leave on a free transfer now in order to get him off the wage bill at Parkhead. However, although the

Magpies are desperate for reinforcements before the close of the transfer window at the end of the month, there is still a reluctance to take any unnecessary risks and neither Gökhan or Balde will be signing in the next 48 hours.

At 33, there is a fear Balde’s best years are behind him, while the interest in Gökhan has been put on hold while negotiations continue with the club’s of other targets. Despite making several bids for defenders since the start of the year, all have been rejected.

The release of the club’s accounts for 2008 painted a grim financial picture and illustrated just how restrictive the transfer budget is for Kinnear as he tries to find the players needed to strengthen a squad which has been badly stretched by injuries and suspensions all season.

Indeed, although Kinnear was interested in central midfielder Jimmy Bullard, the Magpies could only stand by and watch as the 30-year-old completed a surprise £5m move from Fulham to Hull City yesterday.

Bullard has been one of the most consistent midfielders in the Premier League over the last two seasons, a fact recognised by England manager Fabio Capello who gave the former Wigan player his first international call-up last year, and would have been an excellent signing.

However, the player was looking for a four-year contract on wages of more than £50,000 a week, a figure Newcastle can not hope to match in the present financial climate.

Although owner Mike Ashley has made some money available to sign players this month – thought to be somewhere in the region of £10m – he is still keen to slash a wage bill which is eating up 70% of the club’s income and will no longer pay enormous salaries.

The Newcastle hierarchy, though, also know that with nine days left until transfer deadline day, they are under enormous pressure to add to the squad and improve the options available to Kinnear.

With Ashley struggling to win over sceptical supporters regarding his decision to take the club off the market last month, a failure to land any new players other than the out-of-contract Danish international Peter Løvenkrands will do little to relieve the ill feeling which continues to sour the air around St James’s Park.

Meanwhile, Kinnear has held clear-the-air talks with midfielder Charles N’Zogbia and striker Andy Carroll after the two traded punches on the training ground this week. Although Kinnear played down the incident, which followed a late challenge by Carroll on a confrontational N’Zogbia, he has still moved to calm simmering tension between the two, and has instructed them that they will always play on the same side in training for the foreseeable future.

Besiktas stopper offered to Magpies

Jan 24 2009 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United have been offered the chance to sign Turkish international defender Gökhan Zan on loan until the end of the season, but manager Joe Kinnear is still confident he can land other targets.

from what I`ve read on a Besiktas forum he is/was very injury prone which fits right in with us. Apparently a decent defender when fit though ;)

The 10 Million doesnt exist..the 12 Million from Milner doesnt exist...the 70 Million from sky over the last 2 seasons doesnt exist.....its a cast iron guarantee that we will be signing no one and yet again as fans we have been sold down the river by a group of useless spivs this time....if we do get relegated fat ashley and that dwarf wise should be hanging from a noose from the tyne bridge...In 18 months he as wiped out 16/17 years of premier league football hard work from us...we will rue the day FFS ever left this club and sold to this cheapskate moron..you only have to go into one of the wankers shops to realise how much of a penny pincher and cheapskate he is...Mike pile em high and sell em cheap ashley

I dont know why we get ourselves into a lather come transfer window time, ultimately it always ends in disappointment..If NUFC was a woman id have told her to fuck off a long time ago after disappointing me and kicking me in the nuts so many times

The 10 Million doesnt exist..the 12 Million from Milner doesnt exist...the 70 Million from sky over the last 2 seasons doesnt exist.....its a cast iron guarantee that we will be signing no one and yet again as fans we have been sold down the river by a group of useless spivs this time....if we do get relegated fat ashley and that dwarf wise should be hanging from a noose from the tyne bridge...[glow=red,2,300]In 18 [/glow][glow=red,2,300]months he as wiped out 16/17 years of premier league football hard work from us[/glow]...we will rue the day FFS ever left this club and sold to this cheapskate moron..you only have to go into one of the wankers shops to realise how much of a penny pincher and cheapskate he is...Mike pile em high and sell em cheap ashley

I dont know why we get ourselves into a lather come transfer window time, ultimately it always ends in disappointment..If NUFC was a woman id have told her to f*** off a long time ago after disappointing me and kicking me in the nuts so many times

Tbh that part does not ring true for the managers who have not worked out here we can name a few but the problem is we have had a chairman with good intentions but bloody awful judgement that has left us in this state and fat fred and Ashley both fall in to this catagory

El Tel (Leeds United fan) says...

Tim Krul and David Edgar are being shown round Thorp Arch today. Leeds have agreed a fee of just over £1million with Newcastle for the pair of them. Its now their decisions. I got this info from a club source and it is genuine.

The turkish fella is 6ft 4inch, could come in handy. As for being linked with Bobo since his tiff with Gordon his wiki does not make great reading

"Balde made his first start of the 2007/08 season on the 26 December 2007 exactly a year after his last appearance, in a 2-0 away win to Dundee United. His presence also helped Celtic to their first away clean sheet in almost 15 months. [13]He was also awarded Man Of The Match for his brilliant display.

Balde was back in the first team squad, but not in the starting 11 against Rangers on 29 March, for the first time since Christmas after recovering from the injury he sustained at the African Nations Cup. He then started a few days later replacing the suspended Gary Caldwell to make his first appearance since December 2007, with a man of the match performance in the 1-0 win over Aberdeen in the SPL, Georgios Samaras scored the only goal of the game.[14]

At the start of the 2008-09 season it was announced that Balde would be allowed to leave Celtic on a free transfer provided that he could find a club that would meet his salary demands. Wolves manager Mick McCarthy says he is still keen on Celtic centre-half Bobo Balde although cannot meet his wage demands.[15]

In the pre-season matches before the 2008-09 season Balde has played his part in some of the matches so far playing the last 13 minutes[16] against Southampton, the last 30 minutes[17] against Middlesbrough in the Algarve Challenge Cup. He made his full match debut in Celtic's second Algarve Challenge Cup match against Cardiff City in witch was the first meeting of the two teams in 81 years.[18] He also took part in Celtic's 1-0 pre-season friendly win over Porto in which he played the last 22 minutes"

Tim Krul and David Edgar are being shown round Thorp Arch today. Leeds have agreed a fee of just over £1million with Newcastle for the pair of them. Its now their decisions. I got this info from a club source and it is genuine.

El Tel is talking bollocks.

El Tel is talking bollocks.

Some banter about @

http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/boards/read/s277.htm?447,10090614,10092775