The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

O'Hara is better than Butt, imo, so he'd be an improvement on our current midfield. As I've said, if we must get rid of Given, I certainly hope that we get some players in a swap for him, as I don't see Ashley letting us reinvest the money we get for him.

O'Hara is better than Butt, imo, so he'd be an improvement on our current midfield. As I've said, if we must get rid of Given, I certainly hope that we get some players in a swap for him, as I don't see Ashley letting us reinvest the money we get for him.

Oh but if Ashley is so greedy why would he allow Given to go in a swap deal? Wouldn't he want to bank the cash and blow it all on big macs and lager?

Given out, James in

according to one rag tomorrow.

Would prefer Harper taking number 1 spot and money spent on defence and midfield but it wouldn't be the worst as long as we weren't spending all the money on James.

I wouldn't waste our precious budget on a 38 year old keeper. Johnson would obviously be the sensible choice in a part-exchange......

johnson in goal ?

i'd like to think if given goes ,harper would commit.

Guest The Libertine

Shay Given has ‘agreed’ his move to Man City – and Newcastle want England keeper David James to replace him.

It’s now a question of mega-rich City and Toon agreeing a fee for Given and there could be a compromise figure of £10million – a British record for a keeper.

City have so far had bids of £3m and £6m rejected, with the Geordies valuing the Republic of Ireland No.1 at £14m.

The current record for a keeper is the £9m Sunderland paid for Hearts’ Craig Gordon.

But that could be broken this week and the fact Newcastle have made enquiries about Portsmouth’s James, 38, indicates United expect Given to quit Tyneside after 12 seasons at the club.

James has already played for six clubs – Watford, Liverpool, Villa, West Ham, Man City and Pompey.

Meanwhile, a source close to Given, 32, told the Daily Star Sunday: ‘‘Shay wants to go to City and as far as he is concerned, his deal is effectively agreed in terms of the wages he’d be paid and even his image rights.

‘‘He could double his pay to £100,000-a-week and sign a contract for three-and-a-half or four-and-a-half years."

Newcastle would seem to have a replacement for Given already at the club in Steve Harper.

But he is 33 and out of contract this summer.

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear could ask for City midfielder Michael Johnson to be part of the Given deal.

Hughes also wants Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz and is unlikely to part with England defender Micah Richards, 20, who has been linked with Liverpool, Wigan and Bolton.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/67124/Shay-on-his-way/

I wouldn't waste our precious budget on a 38 year old keeper. Johnson would obviously be the sensible choice in a part-exchange......

johnson in goal ?

Hilarity prevails? We don't need another keeper in my opinion but we would be panicking if Harper got injured (as no doubt knowing our luck he probably would) after we had sold Shay.

johnson in goal ?

Hilarity prevails? We don't need another keeper in my opinion but we would be panicking if Harper got injured (as no doubt knowing our luck he probably would) after we had sold Shay.

yeah but it would mean first choice is taken. then look at krul as back up or at least time to get one.

Im gone for two days and nothing, NOTHING, has happened....  :thdn:

Ok, Lovenkrands has signed, im talking about the WOW signing.

fucking hell, who said anything was going to happen? Certainly not the club.

People just assume that we should be making signings even though we've made it quite clear we won't be in the market this month, for one reason or another.

We are not going to go for James unless he is virtually free.

Ashley's policy is to spend money on youngsters whose value will rise and experienced players will only be brought in for nominal fees.