Why Barton is so important

Guest sicko2ndbest

I know you should never wish injury on your players, but I have to say, if it's the only way for Barton and Guthrie to play together, I hope Butt picks up an injury as soon as possible. Barton and Guthrie are just the type of CMs I want, both box to box.

The Times reckon Butt could miss out with a foot injury :lol:

Get in! :lol:

Neil Warnock: Good managers always believe they can get best from bad boys

What I Learnt This Week

Saturday, 25 October 2008

1. Rogue element set a coaching challenge

I've always been a big fan of Joey Barton as a player. If we had stayed up at Sheffield United I was going to pay £4m for him so that shows how highly I rate him. But I suppose, like many others, when I listen to his apologies I do say to myself: 'I wonder how long it will be before he is in trouble again?' I hope he means what he says because there are no more chances for Joey and I fear the worst if he does not take heed now. When I look at his life, if you take football away from it, I don't see what other way there is for him to go.

Obviously he had already been in a few scrapes when I was thinking of signing him but you always think you can be the one to change a player, to settle him down, especially when you've been a manager for a few years. There have been a lot of players I've signed who other managers said, 'Don't touch him with a barge pole'. I bet I have got 90 per cent of them playing well, but some you can't win with. One ex-player had loads of ability but my staff told me not to waste my time with him. I spent the best part of two years trying to turn him around, getting him out of scrapes with the police when he went back home. In the end I had to let him go. I remember saying to him that there are two ways you can go, you can be a footballer and earn good money for 12-15 years, or end up in prison. Unfortunately he didn't take the first option which saddens me.

An example of someone who did change his life around is Michael Brown, who played 150 league games for me at Sheffield United. He was coming up to 22 when I signed him. He'd been at Manchester City but he'd had a few problems in the Manchester area and I was warned off him. From the start I just classed him as a likeable rogue and trusted him completely. He gave me four good years before we sold him into the Premier League with Tottenham. He's now at Wigan but he's one of my ex-players I keep in touch with and I was pleased to hear last month that he has become a father for the first time with Ela, who is a wonderful wife. The baby's called Lally Biba. I hope I've spelt it right. It's a new one on me but that's Michael for you. I'm sure he will make a super Dad.

It's often the case that you just need to get someone out of their environment and away from some bad influences. I remember Curtis Woodhouse at Sheffield United. A talented lad but he got into a load of scrapes. In the end I had to ban him from going home to Driffield. I always got the dreaded phone call on Sunday night or Monday: "PC Plod here".

He was always a boxing fan. I'd hear he'd been sparring on an afternoon off so I'd bring him in to my office and ask him. He'd be stood there, black eye and fat lip, saying, "No Boss, not me". In the end he took up professional boxing. He's now combining playing football for Rushden & Diamonds with boxing. He's won all eight bouts and calls himself the "Driffield Destroyer". He's a lovely lad and I'm pleased he's doing well.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/neil-warnock-good-managers-always-believe-they-can-get-best-from-bad-boys-972825.html