Guest sicko2ndbest

Agree with Chez,  would love to see:

Given

Beye Taylor Colo Bassong

Jonas Guthrie Barton

Owen

Shola Martins

Won't happen though.

Tbh, in a way i wouldn't. It was Keegan's thing and he got it to make it work with his attacking mentality. Hughton's attempt at it against Hull was just hilarious, tbh.

It's absolutely excruciating, man. When you consider Keegan got...

Geremi --- Butt --- Barton

Martins --- Owen --- Viduka

... playing brilliantly.

Imagine what he could have done with...

Jonas --- Guthrie --- Barton

Martins --- Owen --- (Xisco?)

:(

Guest palnese

We all know what Barton is capable of on his best days. A hard-working, attacking midfielder with a good shot and decent passing of the ball. His runs into the box can hopefully give us a couple of goals this season, if he returns to full fitness, and given support by the fans he can become the player he is capable of beeing.

Given

Beye Taylor Colo Bassong

Jonas Guthrie Barton

Owen

Shola Martins

Won't happen though.

Tbh, in a way i wouldn't. It was Keegan's thing and he got it to make it work with his attacking mentality. Hughton's attempt at it against Hull was just hilarious, tbh.

... playing brilliantly.

Still don't get how anyone can say we played "brilliantly" with that formation. Pretty sure that was the only part of the season we had Oba, Owen, and Viduka available to start with. With that formation, we beat Fulham, Sunderland, Reading, and Tottenham. Three home wins against teams battling relegation, and one away win against a team with nothing to play for. The success Keegan had last season here is greatly exaggerated imo.

Given

Beye Taylor Colo Bassong

Jonas Guthrie Barton

Owen

Shola Martins

Won't happen though.

... playing brilliantly.

Still don't get how anyone can say we played "brilliantly" with that formation. Pretty sure that was the only part of the season we had Oba, Owen, and Viduka available to start with. With that formation, we beat Fulham, Sunderland, Reading, and Tottenham. Three home wins against teams battling relegation, and one away win against a team with nothing to play for. The success Keegan had last season here is greatly exaggerated imo.

Absolute cobblers imo. You can only beat what's infront of you and we looked a class above in several games at the end of last season.

It was the most dynamic and effective attacking unit i've seen from us since 01-03. Not only that, but we kept five clean sheets in eight, aswell. We were playing brilliantly - i really find it hard how anyone can disagree with that. Did you see the Spurs game ffs? We took them apart. And find a recording of Gus Poyet's post-match reaction and tell me then that Spurs were playing for nowt.

Always wondered why Barton could never score for us when he got so many for City.

He had a very stop-start season last year, he never really going until the last few games. If he can be fit and keep himself out of trouble, I think we'll see a completely different Barton from last year.

Always wondered why Barton could never score for us when he got so many for City.

He had a very stop-start season last year, he never really going until the last few games. If he can be fit and keep himself out of trouble, I think we'll see a completely different Barton from last year.

Certainly hope this is true. I really want him to succeed, as by all accounts he's a top bloke who just has a severe temper problem.

I don't condone anything he's done, but it would be nice to see a high-profile individual overcome their mental issues rather than succumb to them for once.

Yeah, exactly. No pre-season either. He was perilously close to scoring on a couple of occassions towards the end of the season, i can remember two or three really decent long range drives in-particular.

When you have a talent you get a period of youth where you shine no matter what self abuse you expose yourself too.

However this period is short and transient and most of us will then have to work hard to maintain this level.

George best was finished by his mid twenties, Gazza is an example of a more recent flawed individual with gifted feet.

I would contend that Joey has also come through his free period of talent shining through the body abuse when at City and now will only get back there with bloody hard work and dedication. It remains to be seen whether he can break the mold and become that kind of changed person.

I hope he can for our sake.

Guest Stephen927

It's a tough game for him to back into. I'd be tempted to start him but with him not having played much football the past few months, I'd be worried about him being overrun in midfield and being a little bit off the pace.

Martins          Owen

Jonas              Guthrie        Barton          Duff

Bassong            Colo          Taylor            Beye

Given

Close one between Enrique and Bassong.  Id also prob be temped to swap Duff and Jonas.  But the rest it a given.

Barton has to start and he should be ready for sat.  Barton 15% fit would be better than Butt.

I think he will have a dump if he scores on a part of the pitch that may upset the Leadbitter family but thats Joey for ya.

If he starts the game,it will certainly smell like he`s had a dump on the pitch.

The only smell at SOL is the smell ashes off Leadbitter snr.

Now as he prepares for his comeback, he knows he has a task on his hands to persuade people he is a reformed character.

He added: "At the end of the day, I know I am living my life clean, I am living my life in the right way.

"All I am interested in is repaying people's faith who have shown that faith in me.

"At the end of the day, I have stepped out of line a few times now, but nothing before has ever been as serious as it was in the summer when I had to go to jail, in front of courts and really know what life is all about.

"It has taken that. Some people, they never get that far down the line. It has taken that for me to sit up and take notice."

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jeXeN4A1t1NDK0jAilAf1ANTeeRw

More from the SSN interview from Teamtalk:

Barton told Sky Sports News: "In some people's minds, I will never be forgiven, and so be it.

"But at the end of the day, I know I am living my life clean, I am living my life in the right way.

"All I am interested in is repaying people's faith who have shown that faith in me.

"At the end of the day, I have stepped out of line a few times now, but nothing before has ever been as serious as it was in the summer when I had to go to jail, in front of courts and really know what life is all about.

"It has taken that. Some people, they never get that far down the line. It has taken that for me to sit up and take notice.

"I have probably had more chances than anyone deserves, I am the first to admit that.

"I have never thought, 'Oh well, I will get more chances because I play football', that's not the case.

"I have been fortunate enough that people have given me more chances. Hopefully, I won't need any more.

"But I am a human being and there will be times when people criticise things I do.

"But for me, the time now is to draw a line under the talking side of things and start letting my performances and my behaviour off the field take care of itself."

Barton acknowledges many of his problems have had alcohol at their root, and he revealed he has not had a drink for 10 months.

He is well aware he cannot change the past, but is determined to repay the faith of those who stood by him in his hour of need.

The 26-year-old said: "Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if you could go back and change the past, there would be people out there who would go back and change a lot of things.

"We have all got skeletons in the cupboard and things that we regret at some stage in my life and for me, I have probably got a few more things than the average kind of person.

"For me, it is a case of sort of drawing a line under that. I am not asking people in any way, shape or form to say, 'Oh, let's forgive and forget' because I can't condone the things I have done.

"The things I have have been involved in and mixed up in cannot be condoned. For me, it is a case of putting everything to bed.

"I have got my mind set on repaying a lot of people that I have let down, a lot of people who will be disappointed in the things I have done.

"In hindsight, if I could go back and change those things, I would.

"I can't, so all I can do from this day forward is try to do the right things, try to live my life clean, try to do things that will rectify the mistakes I have made in the past.

"At this moment in time, I am 10 months sober now and I am trying to do that."

Butts legs arent what they used to be-we generally see him at his best after an international break as on Monday.Id rest him then maybe bring him back for the WBA game.

I hope you mean the one in February on his current form.

More from the SSN from Teamtalk:

Barton told Sky Sports News: "In some people's minds, I will never be forgiven, and so be it.

"But at the end of the day, I know I am living my life clean, I am living my life in the right way.

"It has taken that. Some people, they never get that far down the line. It has taken that for me to sit up and take notice.

"I have probably had more chances than anyone deserves, I am the first to admit that.

"I have never thought, 'Oh well, I will get more chances because I play football', that's not the case.

"I have been fortunate enough that people have given me more chances. Hopefully, I won't need any more.

"But I am a human being and there will be times when people criticise things I do.

"But for me, the time now is to draw a line under the talking side of things and start letting my performances and my behaviour off the field take care of itself."

Barton acknowledges many of his problems have had alcohol at their root, and he revealed he has not had a drink for 10 months.

He is well aware he cannot change the past, but is determined to repay the faith of those who stood by him in his hour of need.

The 26-year-old said: "Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if you could go back and change the past, there would be people out there who would go back and change a lot of things.

"We have all got skeletons in the cupboard and things that we regret at some stage in my life and for me, I have probably got a few more things than the average kind of person.

"For me, it is a case of sort of drawing a line under that. I am not asking people in any way, shape or form to say, 'Oh, let's forgive and forget' because I can't condone the things I have done.

"The things I have have been involved in and mixed up in cannot be condoned. For me, it is a case of putting everything to bed.

"I have got my mind set on repaying a lot of people that I have let down, a lot of people who will be disappointed in the things I have done.

"I can't, so all I can do from this day forward is try to do the right things, try to live my life clean, try to do things that will rectify the mistakes I have made in the past.

Feels like I've said this before (probably have...) but those are very sensible and honest comments from someone who appears to know and can acknowledge his own problems. Let's hope he comes back into some form on the pitch and keeps his head down off it.

Feels like I've said this before (probably have...) but those are very sensible and honest comments from someone who appears to know and can acknowledge his own problems. Let's hope he comes back into some form on the pitch and keeps his head down off it.

The words sound right but if he's been sober for 10 months his actions in his brief appearance against Aersenal still looked like the same old story. Heavy reckless challenge followed by a smirk of self-satisfaction. He needs to get his head down and provide some end product rather than be content to be a wrecking ball at Newcastle.

The words sound right but if he's been sober for 10 months his actions in his brief appearance against Aersenal still looked like the same old story. Heavy reckless challenge followed by a smirk of self-satisfaction. He needs to get his head down and provide some end product rather than be content to be a wrecking ball at Newcastle.

Nothing wrong with his behaviour at Arsenal IMO. I don't want him to become a bottling fanny, he may very well go in hard to some challenges. As long as he don't fuck up again outside of the pitch, I want him to be the very same Barton on it.

I think he will have a dump if he scores on a part of the pitch that may upset the Leadbitter family but thats Joey for ya.

If he starts the game,it will certainly smell like he`s had a dump on the pitch.

The only smell at SOL is the smell ashes off Leadbitter snr.

:idiot2: How yew say dat???

He does talk sense, he's not thick but his actions don't sit well with what he says.  He was interviewed just after signing for us and said a lot of what he's just said again but that didn't stop him from getting in to more trouble.

It's not all drink related either, he seems to have as many problems when sober as when he's been drinking.

I've been taken in by him before but will not again, I expect him to screw up again at any time.