Newcastle United 2 - 1 West Brom - 28/10/08 - post match reaction from page 24

Dave

One last point before I retire: if Jonas had played against Hull and Blackburn, I don't think we'd have lost either game. Totally different side with him in it, a genuine creative outlet who scares the s*** out of defenders, links up excellently with his full back and works hard too. Class act.

I agree about Jonas, he's quickly becoming my favourite player.  He gets the ball off the defenders and can run straight into players and still comes away with the ball, he's a mare to defend against.

Guest optimistic nit

Kinnear: "Joey wasn't supposed to be on penalties, Oba was, so he'd have been in trouble if he'd missed"

Fair play to Barton for stepping up. Said before that I couldn't give two fucks what he's done before because football's never done us any favours.

I loved how Barton almost ran straight for the ball as soon as the penalty had been given. So full of confidence and so eager to prove himself.

Showed signs of captain material tonight IMO, gave instructions to Enrique before the game and Colo when coming out after half time.

Completely agree, the best character on the pitch. Did you see him and Colocinni coming out for the second half? Whatever was said obviously didnt pan out but he was giving him loads of instructions. Proper leader.

true, but barton is bound to be like that at the moment, as he has so much to prove on and off the field, and he is a determined character. if he is still like this after 30 games then give him the armband.

Kinnear: "Joey wasn't supposed to be on penalties, Oba was, so he'd have been in trouble if he'd missed"

Fair play to Barton for stepping up. Said before that I couldn't give two f***s what he's done before because football's never done us any favours.

I loved how Barton almost ran straight for the ball as soon as the penalty had been given. So full of confidence and so eager to prove himself.

Showed signs of captain material tonight IMO, gave instructions to Enrique before the game and Colo when coming out after half time.

Completely agree, the best character on the pitch. Did you see him and Colocinni coming out for the second half? Whatever was said obviously didnt pan out but he was giving him loads of instructions. Proper leader.

:kasper:

Barton? Captain? Don' let the PC brigade hear that, a Hitler of the twenty first century have you not heard?

Fair play to Barton for stepping up. Said before that I couldn't give two fucks what he's done before because football's never done us any favours.

If you keep reading, it's pretty obvious that I saw that ;)

EDIT: I think Beye was immense today, by the way. That miss aside, he barely put a foot wrong.

Beye looked like the guy from last season tonight. He was about the only player who maintained his performance from the first half to the second, (apart from not being allowed past the halfway line, of course).

Good going forward, put in a super cross for Martins' goal. Was basically playing it blindly across the box, cos there was a couple defenders in his view. Nice shimmy and absolute pinpoint accuracy - great little bit of play. And a couple of his sliding tackles towards the end in that corner were expertly timed. Big relief for us if he's back on his game again. I see no reason why him and Enrique can't be our full-backs on a permanent basis (tbh, i can barely find it debatable ???).

Once the dust settles I think we can take a few positives from tonight.  3 points, Jonas is back and on form, Beye is looking better, the manager picked a better team, Barton has another game under his belt and will probably start the next game, Owen will be back for Villa.

To think we probably wouldn't have been able to sample that Barton/Guthrie partnership had Butt been fit.  :nope:

Looked to hold a lot of water, to me. Two box-to-box midfielders, played off each other really well. Filled in and covered for each other well... allowed one another to get forward at separate times. Both have got a good dogged determination, which isn't as effective as being a great tackler, but it'll do. I reckon they could both be decent at being the late runner in the box, n'all, from what i've seen of them so far.

That's certainly one encouraging thing from tonight. But again, renders the entire thing pointless if we're gonna hoof it long/bring Butt back. (Dunno what's worse there ??? )

If you keep reading, it's pretty obvious that I saw that ;)

EDIT: I think Beye was immense today, by the way. That miss aside, he barely put a foot wrong.

:lol: Sorry.

To think we probably wouldn't have been able to sample that Barton/Guthrie partnership had Butt been fit.  :nope:

Looked to hold a lot of water, to me. Two box-to-box midfielders, played off each other really well. Filled in and covered for each other well... allowed one another to get forward at separate times. Both have got a good dogged determination, which isn't as effective as being a great tackler, but it'll do. I reckon they could both be decent at being the late runner in the box, n'all, from what i've seen of them so far.

That's certainly one encouraging thing from tonight. But again, renders the entire thing pointless if we're gonna hoof it long/bring Butt back. (Dunno what's worse there ??? )

it didn't work. for the majority of the game they(west brom) dominated the middle. thats not to say it couldn't work but this first go was not a success.

Wouldn't describe Guthrie as a box-to-box midfielder, he's anything but. The lad hasn't got an engine.

it didn't work. for the majority of the game they(west brom) dominated the middle. thats not to say it couldn't work but this first go was not a success.

totally agree, offered no protection. didnt help that Barton tired badly, which was to be expected. but, while guthrie is good on the ball, he doesnt read the game in a defensive way, is lightweight and isnt much of a runner. both of them are better going forward than they are defending.

totally agree, offered no protection. didnt help that Barton tired badly, which was to be expected. but, while guthrie is good on the ball, he doesnt read the game in a defensive way, is lightweight and isnt much of a runner. both of them are better going forward than they are defending.

Maybe that's what Kinnear sees in Butt then.

Maybe that's what Kinnear sees in Butt then.

on tonights performance a barton/butt axis would seem better.

not to keen on deciding on the basis of one game mind

on tonights performance a barton/butt axis would seem better.

not to keen on deciding on the basis of one game mind

Butt must be giving away a goal every other game.

directly ?

i'll disagree with that

directly ?

i'll disagree with that

Not directly but he's giving away penalties and free kicks which lead to goals.

the free kick on saturday was,in my opinion, the right thing to do. i'll address the others tomorrow as,right now,i'm fucked and need to listen to some kate bush

the free kick on saturday was,in my opinion, the right thing to do. i'll address the others tomorrow as,right now,i'm f***ed and need to listen to some kate bush

Kate Bush, you really don't.  :lol:

3 points nothing else matters!

I'm very happy with the 3 points but there were several worrying signs in the second half. A better team would have won that match and given how decent we were in the first half that is something I'm annoyed about. We invited them to attack us far too much.