That second half performance

Dave

Delighted with three points but the second half was far too nervy against a side like West Brom who, while neat and tidy at times, were ripped to shreds frequently in the first half.

I think it was the manager who told them to do this, even if he says not. Some of our time-wasting in the second half was ridiculous, particularly from Shay who is not typically a time wasting goalkeeper while some of our late set pieces embarrassed me a bit. The free kick wide on the right which was taken into the corner and the corner which had two of our players in the area and five on the half way line were so frustrating. Against Man Utd or in a big cup game, fine. Against West Brom at home, not on imo.

Barton and Guthrie absolutely ran the show first half. Second half, you could be forgiven for thinking they both went off at half time and I really didn't think it was them hiding but more being totally bypassed.

Maybe they should have pushed up the pitch more then? Barton in particular seemed to drop further and further back as the game went on. Maybe a fitness issue?

Kinnear admits on the BBC interview that he decided to 'hold on to what we have'.

A frequent manager attitude that I've never been able to wrap my head round if I'm honest.

When did he decide that? After going 2-0 up or after 80 mins? The difference is crucial.

Was going to start a similar thread. Second half was another abomination. Did we string 3 passes together at all?

Far too many long balls, players hiding, Ameobi winning f*** all... hard to watch.

Duff didn't help, for all of his running tonight, which to be fair he did, his impact on the game was nil on an attacking front and I'm sure he gave the ball away for the goal.

I'll be fair to Duff tonight, some of the runs he went on were pretty good, beat a few people, but his final ball is totally non-existant. He doesn't even fire a ball across goal without a specific target, he just doesn't do anything. He's had two great chances on his left foot in the last two home games and that left foot has been as weak as piss.

The situation where we countered late on when he just gave the ball to a marked Xisco despite us being 3 on 2 was appalling.

Kinnear admits on the BBC interview that he decided to 'hold on to what we have'.

A frequent manager attitude that I've never been able to wrap my head round if I'm honest.

We had more to lose by taking that attitude than we would have done going forwards, I never felt at any stage that they could score yet they managed it.

When did he decide that? After going 2-0 up or after 80 mins? The difference is crucial.

Well seeing as Shay started taking two minutes to take every goal kick straight after half time, I'm inclined to think it was then.

I'll be fair to Duff tonight, some of the runs he went on were pretty good, beat a few people, but his final ball is totally non-existant. He doesn't even fire a ball across goal without a specific target, he just doesn't do anything. He's had two great chances on his left foot in the last two home games and that left foot has been as weak as piss.

The situation where we countered late on when he just gave the ball to a marked Xisco despite us being 3 on 2 was appalling.

That's exactly what I'm on about and why I said he offered nothing, the whole point of a player in his position is to set players up with scoring chances, he doesn't do that though, he's so frustrating.

Was going to start a similar thread. Second half was another abomination. Did we string 3 passes together at all?

Far too many long balls, players hiding, Ameobi winning f*** all... hard to watch.

Duff didn't help, for all of his running tonight, which to be fair he did, his impact on the game was nil on an attacking front and I'm sure he gave the ball away for the goal.

I saw it exactly the same way. A lot of his work was West Brom standard - looked good, nice on the eye, but fuck all end product when it mattered.

That's exactly what I'm on about and why I said he offered nothing, the whole point of a player in his position is to set players up with scoring chances, he doesn't do that though, he's so frustrating.

Reminded me of N'Zogbia a bit tonight, tbh. Did well with the ball at his feet and looked quite quick, but when he had to deliver, he just failed.

You lot are fucking unbelievable.

2 draws against decent sides, a bad loss away at our rivals, 9 games where we have conceded 2 goals, not a win in the league since the fluky 1-0 over Bolton and this is how you celebrate?

You bunch of fucking twats.

3 points. Nice one. Lets build from here.

Well seeing as Shay started taking two minutes to take every goal kick straight after half time, I'm inclined to think it was then.

So am I but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because I wouldn't like to think he's stupid enough to blame the players for following his instructions.

Yes can't deny that the 2nd half was bad BUT tonight was a massive game and it was a MUST WIN game and despite the poor second half we WON!!!  Getting the 3 points were the most important thing and we got them and to be honest i would gladly have went to SJP tonight and watched the worst game of football ever seen so long as we won tonight.

Don't get me wrong, I'm over the moon at three points. I heard some bloke on the phone on the way out say "it feels like a defeat", I thought "are you living on the same planet as the rest of us?"

Quite fucking clearly not. Words fail me.

2 draws against decent sides, a bad loss away at our rivals, 9 games where we have conceded 2 goals, not a win in the league since the fluky 1-0 over Bolton and this is how you celebrate?

If you can't see the problems with that performance then you're deluded.

We've played two games against shite teams and deserved maybe one point from either of them. We're going nowhere with this guy in chargeat this rate. I know, i know - he came in at a tough time and i'd rather have him than no one - but his tactical ability is fucking poor. If he, and we, continue in this way then we'll keep losing games.

It was a Godsend that West Brom are fucking garbage n'all.

I don't see anyone going against those last three sentences of yours, btw.

Yes can't deny that the 2nd half was bad BUT tonight was a massive game and it was a MUST WIN game and despite the poor second half we WON!!!  Getting the 3 points were the most important thing and we got them and to be honest i would gladly have went to SJP tonight and watched the worst game of football ever seen so long as we won tonight.

Bolded the important bit. I dont give a fucking shit how we played.

Incidentally, i thought there were some very promising shoots of green on the park.

I'm not even sure what that means tbh.  :laugh:

Incidentally, i thought there were some very promising shoots of green on the park.

Why? ???

We've played two games against shite teams and deserved maybe one point from either of them. We're going nowhere with this guy in chargeat this rate. I know, i know - he came in at a tough time and i'd rather have him than no one - but his tactical ability is fucking poor. If he, and we, continue in this way then we'll keep losing games.

We're pretty shite aswell like.

We're pretty shite aswell like.

You only have to watch the first half again to see what quality we actually have in this squad.

It's soul-destroying.

Result will always be more important than performance when you're 19th in the League.

We won tonight which is something we've not done for 2 months. We scraped it and could have drawn it but we didn't. We won. It's something to build on and Owen will be back soon.

We looked woefully short on confidence and I wasn't surprised we chose to sit back and defend our lead. Other teams will have shit runs during the season too.

You think its delusional to celebrate unconditionally the 3 points that side got tonight in the current circumstances? What do you want to happen? We go back in time and play the game with another manager?

2 words. Big Picture.

Its a godsend that there are worse sides than us in premiership? Yes, thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Why? ???

:lol: @ you

Bolded the important bit. I dont give a f***ing s*** how we played.

:lol:

The game was won in the first half and we should have capitalised on that in the second half but we didn't, we could have won easily tonight and got a real lift from it but we let them back into it and we'll know that we've done that in our next game.  The 3 points are the most important thing that we could have got but the confidence boost that we could have got from an easier win just didn't happen and we could pay for that.

Time will tell but I think we’ll know if that’s the case fairly soon.