Mike Ashley Second Chance Saloon

Skirge
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

But how has he done right by the club by walking out at possilby the worst time? Theres nothing thats happened to him that hasnt happened to SBr but he didnt walk out - now thats the true measure of love for a club, he worked round it.

I would have respected Sir Bobby a lot more if he'd told Fat Fred to f*** off and that he wouldn't accept players bought and sold behind his back. Look where his 'love of the club' got him. Humiliatingly sacked.

2 things with this - at the end of the day he did right by the club and we know what a bad decision it was to sack him so his stubborness was justified.

The other more interesting point is how Shepherds role has been renedered less significant....its exactly the same thing that has happened here, maybe even worse but the outcry is 20 times worse and i cant fathom why.

The timing of the sacking was wrong, yes. But he should have went during the summer of 2004.

But how has he done right by the club by walking out at possilby the worst time? Theres nothing thats happened to him that hasnt happened to SBr but he didnt walk out - now thats the true measure of love for a club, he worked round it.

I would have respected Sir Bobby a lot more if he'd told Fat Fred to f*** off and that he wouldn't accept players bought and sold behind his back. Look where his 'love of the club' got him. Humiliatingly sacked.

2 things with this - at the end of the day he did right by the club and we know what a bad decision it was to sack him so his stubborness was justified.

The other more interesting point is how Shepherds role has been renedered less significant....its exactly the same thing that has happened here, maybe even worse but the outcry is 20 times worse and i cant fathom why.

The timing of the sacking was wrong, yes. But he should have went during the summer of 2004.

Totally agreed.

At a time we knew Robson was on his way the next year anyway, and at a time where we were on a par with Liverpool, still not a million miles behind Chelsea, but way ahead of Spurs, Liverpool sacked Houllier and got Benitez, Chelsea sacked Ranieri and got Mourinho, while Spurs appointed Santini, but more importantly, got Martin Jol in too. We clung on to Robson when we should have been doing the same thing, sacked him at a stupid time, and then got Souness.

He of all people dserved one more season, the evidence that the team was in decline was there, no doubt but no way near enough to build a case for his sacking. At the end of the day he finished 5th and had a semi final finish in the UEFA Cup, we'd of been favourites for the cup the next season and we'd also of been a fair bet for a top4 finish.

He of all people dserved one more season, the evidence that the team was in decline was there, no doubt but no way near enough to build a case for his sacking. At the end of the day he finished 5th and had a semi final finish in the UEFA Cup, we'd of been favourites for the cup the next season and we'd also of been a fair bet for a top4 finish.

Why did he deserve one more season though? He was retiring at the end of that season anyway. We should have replaced him (sacking is a harsh word) then, let a manager come in to a decent squad, and work towards something long-term.

I don't think we'd have finished top four that season mind, I know hindsight is all well and good, but that last full season under SBR, despite everything he done for us, some of it was absolutely woeful. And that's not me being ungrateful due to everything that's happened since. But some of the football, especially away from home was truly woeful.

Totally agreed.

At a time we knew Robson was on his way the next year anyway, and at a time where we were on a par with Liverpool, still not a million miles behind Chelsea, but way ahead of Spurs, Liverpool sacked Houllier and got Benitez, Chelsea sacked Ranieri and got Mourinho, while Spurs appointed Santini, but more importantly, got Martin Jol in too. We clung on to Robson when we should have been doing the same thing, sacked him at a stupid time, and then got Souness.

That is all completely hindsight, the sacking was at least one season too early.

I don't think we'd have finished top four that season mind, I know hindsight is all well and good, but that last full season under SBR, despite everything he done for us, some of it was absolutely woeful. And that's not me being ungrateful due to everything that's happened since. But some of the football, especially away from home was truly woeful.

Home wasn't too clever either mind (Brum 0-1, Bolton 0-0, Wolves 1-1 I think, Blackburn 0-1 stand out).

Guest The Libertine

Very suprised that 68% would forgive, after some of the stick us Ashley lovers have taken on here.

Encouraging though, maybe our fans aren't beyond help after all!

yeah, 95 want him back, that leaves about,..erm....50,000ish who dont.

Total Voters: 144  :doh:

I'm not 100% sure we could have convinced Bobby of this (so it's hard to say whether they can be criticised for not doing so), but I think the club should have worked with him to find his successor that summer, with him retiring/stepping down/moving upstairs as applicable. That would have been the ideal scenario IMO.

Home wasn't too clever either mind (Brum 0-1, Bolton 0-0, Wolves 1-1 I think, Blackburn 0-1 stand out).

The booing mind after the Wolves game was a disgrace.

Well thats something i couldnt predict, it certainly is something id want to base my decsion to sack SBR on anyway. Yep, your right about the crap we saw, but we STILL finished 5th adn a semi, Id hazard a guess and say that most of the top managers out there have had a smelly season, Fergie, Wenger, Houllier etc....would be far too premature to sack them off that basis though. Its also worth mentioning that he didnt get a decent oppurtunity to strengthen his squad for 2 summers and also did lose many games but drew too many.

Totally agreed.

That is all completely hindsight, the sacking was at least one season too early.

Robson himself said that summer he was leaving the next year. Did you not see what happened under Ferguson when he did the same? And like I mentioned, all our main rivals at that time were getting new managers who were going to be there on long-term contracts, we should have been doing the same.

Why did he deserve one more season though? He was retiring at the end of that season anyway. We should have replaced him (sacking is a harsh word) then, let a manager come in to a decent squad, and work towards something long-term.

Becasue of what he had acheived for us, Houllier got time even though they witnessed simlair situation to us. i didnt realise he was retiring, if thats the case than thats even more damning, we couldnt wait one season for the good of the club? Allowed him to structure the future of the club....use his experince. in our next appoitnment etc.

Totally agreed.

Robson himself said that summer he was leaving the next year. Did you not see what happened under Ferguson when he did the same? And like I mentioned, all our main rivals at that time were getting new managers who were going to be there on long-term contracts, we should have been doing the same.

i didnt realise that, however that STILL isnt good enough reason to sack a manager. You need a good solid reason to sack a manager and i still havent heard one yet.

the best i can think of was that there were definitely disciplinary problems - SBr denies them, maybe that was one fatal flaw but it would be touch and go as to whether id sack him for it, espeically when he has such a superb record thourhgout Europe.

I'm not 100% sure we could have convinced Bobby of this (so it's hard to say whether they can be criticised for not doing so), but I think the club should have worked with him to find his successor that summer, with him retiring/stepping down/moving upstairs as applicable. That would have been the ideal scenario IMO.

Doesn't Bobby say that he expected this to be the case in his autobiography?

same here, I'd want to believe but wouldn't until I saw it.

Lad I know [who is registered on here] I was chatting to before the match last night, who was always anti shepherd, actually said to me he'd have him back too now

;D

Food for thought.........

I'd just like to point out for the record, it wasn't me.  :lol:

same here, I'd want to believe but wouldn't until I saw it.

Lad I know [who is registered on here] I was chatting to before the match last night, who was always anti shepherd, actually said to me he'd have him back too now

;D

Food for thought.........

I'd just like to point out for the record, it wasn't me.  :lol:

be surprised if you admitted it like

Anyone who wants Shepherd back because they think the problem is the owner hasn't been putting enough of his own money into the club ought to be seeking psychiatric help.

What would "having Shepherd back" mean, anyway.

If he did manage to raise the money to buy the club, it would have to be some kind of leveraged buyout as he's about £200 million short of the minimum asking price. He wouldn't exactly be loaded down with transfer money to chuck around, and the club would be in enormous debt even before he'd put the "Shepherd Offshore" sign back up on his private box.

I'd say that scenario was a flat impossibility in the current economic climate, anyway.

And if he was still here, we'd have Fat Sam still as manager, and no money to buy players. Or else he'd have sacked Sam and appointed, well... after Souness, Roeder and Allardyce, God knows who.

Anyone who wants Shepherd back because they think the problem is the owner hasn't been putting enough of his own money into the club ought to be seeking psychiatric help.

If he did manage to raise the money to buy the club, it would have to be some kind of leveraged buyout as he's about £200 million short of the minimum asking price. He wouldn't exactly be loaded down with transfer money to chuck around, and the club would be in enormous debt even before he'd put the "Shepherd Offshore" sign back up on his private box.

I'd say that scenario was a flat impossibility in the current economic climate, anyway.

And if he was still here, we'd have Fat Sam still as manager, and no money to buy players. Or else he'd have sacked Sam and appointed, well... after Souness, Roeder and Allardyce, God knows who.

Tbf, it did go absolutely tits up under Allardyce, but most (including myself) at the time thought he was exactly what we needed. How wrong I was.

I don't think it would be the worst idea in the world if Ashley was stuck with the club, if Shepherd replaced Llambias as Chairman and made the footballing decisions (ie, getting rid of the "regime" and bringing in a manager).

Ramos , your ideal manager perhaps  ........ superior to the manager who won 4 premiership titles and 3 manager of the year awards, in your opinion of course  bluelaugh.gif

I don't think it would be the worst idea in the world if Ashley was stuck with the club, if Shepherd replaced Llambias as Chairman and made the footballing decisions (ie, getting rid of the "regime" and bringing in a manager).

I'd keep Fred away from footballing decisions, frankly, given his failure rate in managerial appointments.

Totally agreed.

The crucial aspect of that was we sacked Bobby without having a suitable replacement lined up unlike the other far more successful and better run teams you mention there. I still have no understanding of how things worked at Newcastle under Shepherd. His son handling transfers, Souness and the Pinar Zahavi/Willie McKay agents links...police raids on Shepherd's home. Paying £17m for Owen when the asking price was £12m.

Strange stuff tbh.