The Smoggies Vs Newcastle United (29/11/08) The Riverside 3pm PRE-Match Thread.

Guest Heneage

Given

Beye   Coloccini  Bassong (but will be Taylor)  Enrique (but will be Bassong)

Jonas  Geremi (but will be Butt) Guthrie   Zog (but will be Duff)

Owen  Martins (but will be Shola)

;)

The only change i see happening is possibly Taylor for Bassong, which i disagree with so......

Given

Beye      Coloccini    Bassong    Enrique

Butt

Guthrie

Jonas                                          Duff

Owen

Martins

2-2

For some strange reason i've warmed to Nicky Butt over the last couple of games, genuinely have no idea why. I guess he just wasn't the shittest player on the pitch vs Fulham and Wigan for a change. That's probably why, yeah. When doing the whole "i'd play this" it just feels pointless not selecting him cos it's so blatantly obvious that he's going to play. Same with Duff.

I'd line up:

Given

Beye  Coloccini  Bassong  Enrique

Jonas   Geremi  Guthrie   N'Zogbia

Martins  Owen

However, i reckon we'll line-up:

Given

Beye  Coloccini  Taylor  Bassong

Jonas       Butt   Guthrie       Duff

Owen  Shola

Obviously, i'd keep the same five in defense, basically because i'm sane. The thing is, it's protection from the midfield where we're going wrong. Guthrie and Geremi are hardly 'hard-nuts' like Butt allegedly is (to be fair, Butt is a decent tackler, better than those two anyhow), but i reckon they'd represent more protection simply because they keep the ball better. Butt loses the ball a lot and plays stray passes, often backwards which is dangerous. Geremi is an excellent supplier of the ball and Guthrie is neat and tidy. We'd relieve pressure on the defense with those two retaining possession more, i reckon.

I think we'll lose btw, 2-1.

I don't think Joe's daft enough to change the defence after a clean-sheet at Stamford Bridge, unless someone gets a knock. I'd be amazed.

Hoping to see Taylor/The Duke/Geremi on the bench ahead of Edgar, Carroll and Lua Lua, but apart from that I'd be happy enough with the same team/squad.

Seen a few people say that they reckon Shola will start ahead of Oba. Can't see it myself.

There's no way Vids will be involved, more's the pity. I'd give anything to see him score the winner against this lot that he was denied last year.

You're probably right about Oba/Owen/Shola tbf, Wullie. If he's sensible he'll probably go with the same team that lined up against Chelsea, and i wouldn't surprised if he did. I can still picture him dropping Enrique for Taylor, though.

Is Viduka genuinely in contention like?

He'll have been training for over 2 weeks come the weekend, but with Carroll scoring for the Reserves last night I would actually be surprised to see him on the bench. PhysioRoom has him down for a return on Saturday and I've read a few bits and bobs in the papers/on the official site recently saying that it could be possible to have him back in contention come the "derby", but definitely no more than a bench appearance.

He'll be chomping at the bit (ha!) to be involved for 'Boro, so suppose we'll see.

Is Viduka genuinely in contention like?

He'll have been training for over 2 weeks come the weekend, but with Carroll scoring for the Reserves last night I would actually be surprised to see him on the bench. PhysioRoom has him down for a return on Saturday and I've read a few bits and bobs in the papers/on the official site recently saying that it could be possible to have him back in contention come the "derby", but definitely no more than a bench appearance.

He'll be chomping at the bit (ha!) to be involved for 'Boro, so suppose we'll see.

Oh man. That'd be phenomenal.

Even if he's capable of just doing 15 minutes he'd be worth having on the bench as an option.

Carroll is a bit of a wasted space anyway because you'd expect either Oba or Ameobi to be on the bench anyway and they'd always get the nod ahead of Big Andy if a change had to be made up top.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1467300,00.html

Joe Holds Hope For Dukes Bench Duty

By Craig Hope

JOE Kinnear is hoping that he will be able to include Aussie powerhouse Mark Viduka in his matchday squad for the first time when United travel to Middlesbrough this weekend.

The 33-year-old made a long-awaited return to full training at the end of last month and has been making steady progress up at the Magpies' North Tyneside headquarters.

And, such has been Viduka's improvement in terms of fitness in recent weeks, Toon chief Kinnear admits that the burly frontman could start from the bench against his former club on Saturday.

"He's not far off it, I can tell you. Obviously he hasn't had games but you might find that he's on the bench on Saturday," Joe said.

"What we decided to do with Mark was to ask him to try and come back into training.

"We didn't want to hurry him up because we don't want to risk him breaking down again but if he felt like he could come back into the sessions then we were happy for him to do that.

"It was a matter of bringing him back gradually and seeing what he could manage but he's surprised us all.

"He's got better and better as the days have gone on and some of the things he's been doing have been excellent. We'll see how he goes now but there is a chance of him being involved."

Viduka is one of the most popular characters in the black-and-white squad and that is something which Kinnear has been quick to pick up upon.

"He's a good personality and another one of the leaders that I've got in the squad," he added.

"He's a terrific player to have back in and around the team."

Downer for Shola at any rate

He's served his purpose. The last few months have helped restore a bit of his reputation. Let him find a club in the summer.

:clap:

Sunderland, Spurs or Boro, preferably.