Kinnear signs contract to the end of the season.

fuhg

Good! That means there's a bit of stability in place, we're more likely to make signings in January and the majority of the players are happy.

Ok so he's no Hiddink but he's done well since he's been here and he genuinely wants the job, not just the money it brings.

This

So the money was always there, then? Why didn't he give it to Keegan?

Or any other decent manager.

Just more lies. As I've been saying for a while now, they're ripping the piss out of us.

What the hell are you talking about? What lies.

Nobody knows how much, but Keegan clearly spent money, and said if he didn't have time to spend the Milner money, like with Cole he would use it in the next round of transfers.

We are now at the next round of transfers and they are unsurprisingly looking to get some players in. Again nobody knows how much there will be to spend, I doubt it will be a great deal as it will only be what the club has available to it with no further outside investment, but there is no flip flopping here.

Again, what are these 'lies'?

"I'm absolutely delighted. We had a good talk, and he made it clear that he's happy for me to keep going, and that there would be money for the three or four new players we believe we need in the transfer market in January.

"On this score, I can tell our fans that we have three or four irons in the fire, and it's just as case of wait and see, and obviously, there are several players contracts still to sort out.

mackems.gif

Can't see this happening but, if it did, would fans forgive Ashley if say he spent 20m net in the window?

No. That doesn't make up for the windows beforehand.

So basically the club isn't anywhere close to being sold...

Not necessarily, even if the sale goes through after the new year it makes sense to give JK a contract till the end of the season to provide some stability. New owners could leave him in charge till the end of the season or pay him off if they want to bring someone in straight away.

Yep, lets not also forget that clubs like Chelsea had trouble appointing decent managers mid season last year an Grant was an interim in all but name, as Scolari wasn't budging whatever they wanted to pay. The club don't have a chance of making any progress until the end of the season, new owner or no new owner.

I think there's too much negativity in this thread. You would think that Kinnear' side had been getting whipped every other week. Considering the mediocre squad we've got at the minute he's done a decent job. There's been a few shit results like Fulham and the mackems but then getting results at Everton and Chelsea (and even at home to Man City) seemed unlikely beforehand. Yeah its disappointing that the clubs not going to be sold in the short term but on the up side it gives the players a bit of stability.

Lets just support the bloke. At least at the match anyway. :-)

A sensible view assuming the club is still for sale and the buyers haven't pulled out which is a different issue. Unfortunately we can't force anyone to buy the club quickly so a new manager can be appointed, so this is the best alternative as things stand.

By all means everyone carry on lamenting though, why let the facts get in the way of a good whinge? :thup:

"I'm absolutely delighted. We had a good talk, and he made it clear that he's happy for me to keep going, and that there would be money for the three or four new players we believe we need in the transfer market in January.

"On this score, I can tell our fans that we have three or four irons in the fire, and it's just as case of wait and see, and obviously, there are several players contracts still to sort out.

mackems.gif

Can't see this happening but, if it did, would fans forgive Ashley if say he spent 20m net in the window?

No. That doesn't make up for the windows beforehand.

Aye, it'd piss me off even more on a lot of levels. Aye i'd probably be a bit excited cos that's what tends to happen when we spend money on players, it's just natural to feel a bit giddy about it. But underneath it all, it's just another big fuckoff contribution to one massive pisstake.

I've been pro-Ashley on his blueprints. Young players, recruitment team, consolidate the finances until we're back on an even keel.

But fucking hell, could he have executed any of it any more poorly than what he has? Every single time 'something' happens (be it Keegan goes, Kinnear is appointed, Kinnear is offered a contract), i can just picture Ashley doing that thing that Shola does when he misses the target. Stands upright, both hands on top of his head, goofy smile. Duhhh.

Fuckup after fuckup. And the incessant communication problems is kind of the glue that compresses all the shitness together. Just get out, please.

Why would anyone be happy about Ashley appointing a manager, not backing him with significant funds, then giving those funds to a seriously inferior interim manager instead?

???

I'll be pleased if we attempt to address the quality of the squad but it'll be yet another kick in the bollocks to think the money should have been given to Keegan instead.

I still don't see where the arguement for lack of money comes from. Keegan always said that funds would be made available for the right players, and that the Milner money would be part of that. I thought the only issue was that the system failed as it did not bring in enough players, maybe punched above it's weight going on wild goose chases for the likes of Schweinsteiger,  and the biggie - not going for the players Keegan actually wanted. I don't think money has been held back only now to be released to Kinnear.

I'll be very interested to see how much we're going to spend now. Still reckon it'll be peanuts like and that the squad will not improve.

Again, I think the issue with Keegan might very well have been down to the players he wanted vs. the players the "system" wanted.

It's not necessarily about how much we spend either, but more about the numbers we get in and ultimately, the quality of player.

January is going to be fascinating. The board etc. have clearly got a man that they are far more comfortable with and it will be very interesting to see how this affects recruitment.

I'll be very interested to see how much we're going to spend now. Still reckon it'll be peanuts like and that the squad will not improve.

If Mike Ashley is still trying to sell the club, there's no way in Hell he will make big money signings. Sell to buy is the way it will be, I would imagine there will be more Guthrie/Bassong deals in the pipeline if we do make any moves in the transfer market.

Why would anyone be happy about Ashley appointing a manager, not backing him with significant funds, then giving those funds to a seriously inferior interim manager instead?

???

I'll be pleased if we attempt to address the quality of the squad but it'll be yet another kick in the bollocks to think the money should have been given to Keegan instead.

I still don't see where the arguement for lack of money comes from. Keegan always said that funds would be made available for the right players, and that the Milner money would be part of that. I thought the only issue was that the system failed as it did not bring in enough players, maybe punched above it's weight going on wild goose chases for the likes of Schweinsteiger,  and the biggie - not going for the players Keegan actually wanted. I don't think money has been held back only now to be released to Kinnear.

This is a good point.

While we obviously didn't get the players Kevin Keegan wanted or as many players as everybody wanted, the fact that we were prepared to make Modric a record signing and went on to spend upwards of £10m on a central defender is overlooked a little too often on here for my liking.

Whether the system failed in this way is up for debate, obviously, because none of us know all of the ins and outs of what went on, but I do think the money was there if necessary. People just weren't pulling in the same direction.

If Mike Ashley is still trying to sell the club, there's no way in Hell he will make big money signings. Sell to buy is the way it will be, I would imagine there will be more Guthrie/Bassong deals in the pipeline if we do make any moves in the transfer market.

Alternatively, if there isn't a buyer anywhere to be found, he'll win a good portion of the fanbase over if he does plough some money in - because let's face it, a lot of supporters are as fickle as feck.

As it stands, the situation is untenable and something needs to be done to remedy it if a sale is not forthcoming.

Alternatively, if there isn't a buyer anywhere to be found, he'll win a good portion of the fanbase over if he does plough some money in - because let's face it, a lot of supporters are as fickle as feck.

As it stands, the situation is untenable and something needs to be done to remedy it if a sale is not forthcoming.

I think we are at a crossroads as far as selling the club goes, and Kinnear's appointment till the end of a season gives us some breathing space. By the start of next year, either Ashley will drop the price of the club or decide to stay on. Either way I would expect a proper managerial appointment next season. At this current time I don't really see what could have been done differently as far as JK goes. My only gripe is that the price of the club should have been dropped earlier for a sale to go through, but that's another subject.

Guest Sniffer

And that's why we are in a relegation spot and will probably go down.

Especially if kinnear  persists with that useless twat ameobi.

I think we are at a crossroads as far as selling the club goes, and Kinnear's appointment till the end of a season gives us some breathing space. By the start of next year, either Ashley will drop the price of the club or decide to stay on. Either way I would expect a proper managerial appointment next season. At this current time I don't really see what could have been done differently as far as JK goes. My only gripe is that the price of the club should have been dropped earlier for a sale to go through, but that's another subject.

Agree with all of that.

JFK being kept on until the end of the season seems a natural choice now it's got to this stage - at least it offers some form of stability as far as the manger/staff/players go. Everything at that level is now set in stone until May (or at least that's the impression it gives) and means people can concentrate on planning a little bit longer-term.

The situation is still not ideal, of course, but more upheaval is probably the last thing we need right now if a sale is not going to happen before the transfer window.

Hopefully things will settle down a bit, with the players he's got/is getting back he'll be able to guide us to enough decent results to keep our heads above water, we'll retain a good core of our good players and regroup come February or the summer or whenever.

This state of limbo that we're in at the moment is the most dangerous thing to us right now, not what players Kinnear is/isn't picking, any kind of information/stability on that front can surely only be of benefit to us on the whole.

Guest Sniffer

Agree with all of that.

JFK being kept on until the end of the season seems a natural choice now it's got to this stage - at least it offers some form of stability as far as the manger/staff/players go. Everything at that level is now set in stone until May (or at least that's the impression it gives) and means people can concentrate on planning a little bit longer-term.

The situation is still not ideal, of course, but more upheaval is probably the last thing we need right now if a sale is not going to happen before the transfer window.

Hopefully things will settle down a bit, with the players he's got/is getting back he'll be able to guide us to enough decent results to keep our heads above water, we'll retain a good core of our good players and regroup come February or the summer or whenever.

This state of limbo that we're in at the moment is the most dangerous thing to us at the moment, not what players Kinnear is/isn't picking, any kind of information/stability on that front can surely only be of benefit to us on the whole.

I see no reason to assume that. Given the economic situation, which will get a lot worse before it gets better, I don't see MA selling the club as he can't afford to take the hit with a cut price sell off. As for keeping our good players, that means the high earners that can't find another club and the lower paid shite who can't find another club. The rest will be off. Offering long term contracts to shite like ameobi will dig the hole even deeper.

Even if ashley allowed us to spend £20m in the window, which player would be crazy enough to join us? our manager is a makeshift until the end of the season and the club is up for sale and flirting with the relegation spots...

I'd be very surprised if we didn't see an exodus of players when the windows open again......its not looking good.

Agree with all of that.

This state of limbo that we're in at the moment is the most dangerous thing to us at the moment, not what players Kinnear is/isn't picking, any kind of information/stability on that front can surely only be of benefit to us on the whole.

I see no reason to assume that. Given the economic situation, which will get a lot worse before it gets better, I don't see MA selling the club as he can't afford to take the hit with a cut price sell off. As for keeping our good players, that means the high earners that can't find another club and the lower paid shite who can't find another club. The rest will be off. Offering long term contracts to shite like ameobi will dig the hole even deeper.

I never assumed, I said "hopefully". I fear you're probably right.

Even if ashley allowed us to spend £20m in the window, which player would be crazy enough to join us? our manager is a makeshift until the end of the season and the club is up for sale and flirting with the relegation spots...

I'd be very surprised if we didn't see an exodus of players when the windows open again......its not looking good.

An exodus of which players exactly? Owen is probably leaving in any case, other than that who is there to get that worked up about?

To be perfectly honest JK has perform way beyond my expectations when he was appointed. My expectations however were extremely low.

The obvious assumption that we can make from this is that the club will not be sold before the end of the season. This is not good news at all unless it's coupled with a complete overhaul of PR from Ashley and his board, an acknowledgement that mistakes have been made and a commitment to putting things right and backing the club. But we all know that's unlikely.

Will we survive? That's the big question this season, and for a club of our size, it is utterly embarrasing and simply not an acceptable situation to be in. But even if we do, the damage of the non sale may only give us a respite from a plunge down to the fizzy pop league. If we survive, Ashley will surely hand JK a longer deal, season ticket renewals will be in the toilet, and the squad's quality will deteriate as JK buys players on past reputation as opposed to current ability.

The future of NUFC is far from bright unfortunately.

An exodus of which players exactly? Owen is probably leaving in any case, other than that who is there to get that worked up about?

Well nothing to really get worked up about but if I was currently in the team I'd be wondering how the future is going to pan out here. Everythings just so short term at the moment. I just hope we don't have to replace players too much, I'd rather just add to this tiny squad. Obviously theres some players I'd love to see the back of but we don't really have much choice but to keep them right now..

I'm not specifically talking about who leaves, rather how many could leave thats all.