Ashley wins back fans in survey

Thespence
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest optimistic nit

tbh i cant see us moving forward with ashley in charge

a) becuase he still hasn't sacked llamblas, and whether he was responsible for keegans departure or not, the club has been run like a pub team since he's been in charge.

b) because i just dont trust his decision making.

c) because no good manager and no good players are going to join us until we sort ourselves out, and whether ashley is capable of that or not, while he's here there is uncertainty at the club.

Initially, i was happy for him to stay cos i like his policies. But his execution of just about every big decision since he has been here has had some sort of flaw or loophole, varying in severity. I'm resigned to the guy staying until the end of the season - i and many others could see that happening - but in an ideal world i'd still want him out ASAP. The club needs to move on because, as the poll states, he's burnt too many bridges.

Agreed. in an ideal world i want him out, but the world aint perfect and it looks like he has to stay.

in staying there's two options for him here - have the club exist in a state of doug ellis-like limbo for a few years til the market is right of him to sell, or he can come out and try and get the fans onside by amending some of his mistakes and ploughing cash into transfers.

Yeah, the end of the season is going to be huge. If the club is still in no position to be sold then he needs to starting sitting in the directors box at games again, so to speak. Basicaly, he needs to start planning long-term because as you say, we can't continually live in limbo. He needs to go back to his original blueprints, appoint an actual manager, and give it another go. I wouldn't be devastated to see it happen but it wouldn't be my first choice of events.

All of this is pointless anyway because Mike Ashley has not given anyone the slightest indication that he is in any way intersted in being the long term owner again.

Cant see him reacting to a poll saying fans want him back, as quickly as he did when the fans wanted him out.

Glad the majority of the supporters can see if we can't sell the club he is going to stay, and the best way to get him to back the club with more money is to back him.

Fans must never have backed Ashley by that logic.

All of this is pointless anyway because Mike Ashley has not given anyone the slightest indication that he is in any way intersted in being the long term owner again.

Cant see him reacting to a poll saying fans want him back, as quickly as he did when the fans wanted him out.

Its definitely pointless because the poll actually shows that the fans don't want him to stay.  45% said they were prepared for him to stay given the current financial climate.  Not really the same as Newcastle fans now making a u turn and wanting him to stay despite the misleading article title.

If you don't keep a handle on the finances then there won't be a club  O0

We paid through the nose for players over the last few season - didn't get the return that was expected. Spunking away cash on more players who may or may not do the job would be a huge gamble. It makes far more sense to play it smart.

He wants to make money... not sure how you can say he doesn't have ambition. The real money is in european qualification. Money from the competitions, TV, and increased merchandise sales worldwide are surely attractive to a man who only cares about money, eh?

The difference now with our transfer policy is that we seem to be able to bring in more from sales than we have in the past.  Getting in the region of £7 million for Dyer and £12 million for Milner isn't the way we've worked in the past, we've bought high and sold low.

Good/decent players signed pre-Ashley & cashed in by Ashley.  We have not made masses of money on the players that have been bought in the Ashley era & sold in the same period.

He wants to make money... not sure how you can say he doesn't have ambition. The real money is in european qualification. Money from the competitions, TV, and increased merchandise sales worldwide are surely attractive to a man who only cares about money, eh?

How many clubs the size of ours in your lifetime have went bust?

If you mention Leeds Ill tell you what - I'd rather a club that actually went for it and failed and paid the price than one that sits on its arse in mid table.

No investment, no ambition, no targets beyond financial - I can see the attraction.

I'm not renewing next year unless he's gone. That's after having an ST since 83 - I can't be bothered with a club that just wants my money so it can avoid relegation and make money. I know that could be said to have applied during those years but after seeing what a bit of ambition can bring, to go back to being s**** is too much to bear.

The last 11 fielded before Ashley took over was:

Harper

Solano

Ramage

Taylor

Carr

Butt

Milner

Dyer

Ameobi

Owen

Pattison

Today we'll probably have:

Given

Beye

Coloccini

Bassong

Enrique

Gutierrez

Butt

Guthrie

N'Zogbia

Owen

Martins

I know which team I would rather watch, I think I'd only pick a fit and in form Dyer from the original 11.

I;m not an NE5 - things had gone stale under Shepherd as the team shows but I'm not fooled by the "improvement" either - that former team finished 13th I think - if not where we will finish this year if lucky, its where we'd have to get used to with the "steady progress" model of Ashley.

Guest The Libertine

If you mention Leeds Ill tell you what - I'd rather a club that actually went for it and failed and paid the price than one that sits on its arse in mid table.

we DID go for it and failed and almost went bust.

We paid through the nose for players over the last few season - didn't get the return that was expected. Spunking away cash on more players who may or may not do the job would be a huge gamble. It makes far more sense to play it smart.

The difference now with our transfer policy is that we seem to be able to bring in more from sales than we have in the past.  Getting in the region of £7 million for Dyer and £12 million for Milner isn't the way we've worked in the past, we've bought high and sold low.

I'm convinced that if we'd sold those two for what they were worth rather than what we received then people would be happier.  That’s a comment in general and not aimed at anybody in particular.

Our scouting system also goes beyond the major teams of the major leagues in recent years, as well as a focusing on players who will reach their peakrather than ones who are about to go over it.

According to Ashley.

Which creditors would have sued and forced administration?

Our scouting system also goes beyond the major teams of the major leagues in recent years, as well as a focusing on players who will reach their peakrather than ones who are about to go over it.

Can you show me evidence that Jiminez looked beyond Spain apart from one player?

What about Martins, Jenas, Viana and Milner?

Guest The Libertine

According to Ashley.

Which creditors would have sued and forced administration?

sorry, didnt realise. cant possibly be true.

Can you show me evidence that Jiminez looked beyond Spain apart from one player?

What about Martins, Jenas, Viana and Milner?

Cacapa, Rozenhal, Smith, Guthrie, Faye, Beye, Basong, Kadar, Baheng, Tozer?

Not to mention all the other players we were linked with.

Also the players you mentioned bar Martins come from an era that isnt in contention.

I'm convinced that if we'd sold those two for what they were worth rather than what we received then people would be happier.  That’s a comment in general and not aimed at anybody in particular.

Big Sam was signing youngsters because he knew there was a lack of depth. Kadar, Ngo & Tozer.

Guest The Wise Guy

"16.6% of fans say Jose Mourinho should take charge at St James’s Park – ahead of former boss Kevin Keegan."

just saw that. why o why.

Im glad to say that I am among the 16.6 % who is smart enough to know what is best for this football club.

Cacapa, Rozenhal, Smith, Guthrie, Faye, Beye, Kadar, Baheng, Tozer?

All signed by Allardyce - sweet FA to do with the supposed change of policy from Jan 08.

I didnt realise there was a change of transfer policy starting from Jan 08. And to be fair, i said they werent signed from major teams in the major leagues.

Sorry missed Guthrie.

There was a supposed change when Wise et al arrived - they sold it as a concentration on young upcoming players as you said - That's fine on its own - all I said was that 4 out of 6 signings from one country does not suggest a wide-ranging international scouting network - it suggests a head of recruitment/chief scout combo who ring their mates.

Guest Heneage

Didn't want him out in the first place. Thought the whole pantomime was a disgrace and embarassing for everyone involved. The sooner we can get back to the business of football instead of forming dick-waving and mutal masturbation groups, the sooner we can move forward as a club.

True, i'm all for an owner who likes the club but why not someone like Randy Lerner, we never see or hear about him but he puts Villa first.