Ashley wins back fans in survey

Thespence
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NEWCASTLE United supporters have made an astonishing u-turn about Mike Ashley.

The Journal’s second major fan survey has shown nearly half of all supporters are now willing to back him as the club’s owner as the protracted sale attempts drag on.

More than 1,000 supporters responded to our online poll. And a surprising 45% said that given the current world financial situation they were prepared for Ashley to stay at United.

Answering the question ‘Given the credit crunch, would it be acceptable for Mike Ashley to stay at the club?’ more than 44% of respondents said they would. And asked ‘What circumstances would you consider Ashley staying as acceptable?’ only 27% said there were no circumstances under which they would accept him remaining at the helm.

That compares with our last survey which found that 68% of fans blamed the man they once welcomed with open arms for the situation at the club. Just 15% said he had a chance to redeem himself.

Temporary manager Joe Kinnear was yesterday signed up until the end of the season in the clearest sign yet that Newcastle United are unlikely to change hands in the short term.

And a big majority of supporters seem resigned to Ashley remaining at the club for a while, with nearly 70% believing the sale will not have gone through by the time of the crucial January transfer window.

Other findings in the survey include:

73% of fans believe Joe Kinnear was justified in his rant against the national press.

59% of fans think the club will finish in the bottom half of the table this season.

13% of fans think that the club will be relegated.

69% of fans believe Joey Barton has been victimised since his return to first team action.

77% of fans believe Michael Owen should be offered a new contract by the club.

76.2% of fans believe Kinnear’s talk of Shearer and Keegan coming in as a team was a PR stunt.

16.6% of fans say Jose Mourinho should take charge at St James’s Park – ahead of former boss Kevin Keegan.

On the pitch, the fans have been impressed with new signing Jonas Gutierrez, with 34% seeing him as player of the season so far. Shay Given was second.

Steve Wraith, former fans’ liaison officer and editor of the Players Inc fanzine, said he was not surprised by the results.

He said: “Newcastle fans are not stupid and they realise that the current financial situation is affecting things. And it could be a couple of years before things get better. Many fans still want to see Wise and Llambias leave the club, but I’m not sure that will happen in the short term.”

To see the survey online and comments left by fans, log on to www.journallive.com.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2008/11/29/ashley-wins-back-fans-in-survey-61634-22367150/

I also think a lot of fans are growing disaffected by the whole situation and just want stability one way or the other because of the trouble we are likely to find ourselves in come the endn of the season

So results pick up a bit and fickle football fans are easily turned around? Who'da thunk it.

Or, people could see the shitstorm that has been surrounding the club and want an end to it.  The club was and still is to a lesser degree disfunctional, that is no good for anybody.

So results pick up a bit and fickle football fans are easily turned around? Who'da thunk it.

Or, people could see the shitstorm that has been surrounding the club and want an end to it.  The club was and still is to a lesser degree disfunctional, that is no good for anybody.

Probably both tbh, but my point was results breed that. If we were losing every week people would still be panicking.

My point is I still believe if Ashley had got on with things and appointed a manager to fit the system people would have soon calmed down and given it a chance with a couple of good results.

Guest LucaAltieri

Didn't want him out in the first place. Thought the whole pantomime was a disgrace and embarassing for everyone involved. The sooner we can get back to the business of football instead of forming dick-waving and mutal masturbation groups, the sooner we can move forward as a club.

Probably both tbh, but my point was results breed that. If we were losing every week people would still be panicking.

My point is I still believe if Ashley had got on with things and appointed a manager to fit the system people would have soon calmed down and given it a chance with a couple of good results.

I think he really tried to sell and didn't put somebody in who could have been a problem with new owners, we might see a different manager for the new season if Ashley decides that he's going to ride it out.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens between now and then because things could still change if the financial markets improve.

I think he really tried to sell and didn't put somebody in who could have been a problem with new owners, we might see a different manager for the new season if Ashley decides that he's going to ride it out.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens between now and then because things could still change if the financial markets improve.

I meant appointing someone (good) straight after Keegan leaving/before the statement. I fully understand him not appointing anyone else than Kinnear once the statement was made. :thup:

That's the one thing I don't think I'll ever understand, how Ashley chucked in the towel so quickly. It was just a couple of weeks after reading that great article outlining his thoughts and plans, and then bang!, complete turnaround.

It'll be fun to see how few people admit to changing their minds.

I've admitted it but I'm not even sure that I wanted him out.  I think I wanted Wise and Llambias out and probably would still like to see at least one of them go because of what happened.  I'm not convinced that Wise is to blame as he had a job to do and he's done it although I'm not sure he's done it the right way.

That's the one thing I don't think I'll ever understand, how Ashley chucked in the towel so quickly. It was just a couple of weeks after reading that great article outlining his thoughts and plans, and then bang!, complete turnaround.

His actions are understandable if he only bought the club so that he could sit in the stands and support us as he could no longer do that.

He also said that he wanted to sit with the fans, wear his Newcastle shirt, etc...couldn't really do that when 90% of fans wanted to lynch him could he?

His actions are understandable if he only bought the club so that he could sit in the stands and support us as he could no longer do that.

Again, a promising manager in place and doing reasonably well (ie appearing to advocate his system) and he'd have been able to sit back with them in no time, relatively speaking.

Sure people were upset and angry, but like I said, a few wins soon gets the feel-good factor back.

Football fans are ridiculously fickle. Everyone knows that; so should Ashley.

Guest The Libertine

"16.6% of fans say Jose Mourinho should take charge at St James’s Park – ahead of former boss Kevin Keegan."

just saw that. why o why.